Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2020 9:07:18 AM EDT
Link

John Carpenter is working on a reboot of his 1982 cult classic The Thing.

The famed horror and sci-fi filmmaker, 72, was linked to a forthcoming project with Blumhouse Productions, Variety reported Monday.

The Carthage, New York native, appearing at a virtual panel the Fantasia International Film Festival this past Saturday, said that he and Blumhouse head Jason Blum have been in early talks regarding a reboot of the movie in which he would direct.

'We’ve talked about - I think he’s going to be working on The Thing, rebooting The Thing,' he said. 'I'm involved with that, maybe. Down the road.'

The director of films including Halloween, Escape from New York and They Live did not specify what time frame the project would take place in.

The reboot of the movie comes after Blum and Carpenter worked on the score of upcoming Blumhouse's Halloween Kills.

The release of that film, which had David Gorden Green in the director's chair, has been put off until next year as most U.S. theaters remain closed or at reduced capacity amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Attachment Attached File

The 1982 motion picture - which starred Kurt Russell, Keith David, T.K. Carter and the late Wilford Brimley - depicted a research team in Antarctica battling an alien that takes the form of humans.

The movie initially opened up in the U.S. on June 25, 1982 and took in $19,629,760, according to Box Office Mojo.

Attachment Attached File

It was based off John W. Campbell Jr.'s 1938 novella Who Goes There?, which inspired one of Carpenter's favorite movies, The Thing from Another World, which he dubbed 'an absolutely terrifying, fabulous, classic movie.

'The Thing From Another World is the daddy of all science fiction monster movies,' Carpenter told The Fader in 2017. 'That was back in the early ‘50s, but I saw it a little later on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It's fine as is, f off Hollywood
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey spoiler alert! I really never have seen it
View Quote
The hell you say!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
They already did and it sucked because they went CGI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't they already remake it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Reboot... Not sure about that. Would definitely like a sequel - make the creature break out of Antarctica and have it hit San Francisco, LA, Washington DC. Bonus points if it gets a crooked politician.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#7]
They already made a prequel in 2011 that bellyflopped like a drunk fat guy into a pool. What makes them think a remake of the original will fare any better?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
no, just no.   That movie is one of my favorites, just create something new
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't they already remake it?
View Quote
They made a prequel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
no, just no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
No every time hollyweird redoes a Carpenter film, its is a fucking disaster. And while the new halloween movie wasn't horrible, it was better than that shit Rob Zombie did, it still pales compared to the OG.
John, just get up with Kurt and make something else before it's too late.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They already made a prequel in 2011 that bellyflopped like a drunk fat guy into a pool. What makes them think a remake of the original will fare any better?
View Quote
In all fairness, they got the transition right in terms of recreating the American outpost near perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm kind of over shitty reboots and sequels.

I'd be ok if they left this franchise alone. If the 2011 version was any indicator, it's not going in a positive direction.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
practical effects only pls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In all fairness, they got the transition right in terms of recreating the American outpost near perfectly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Prequel wasn't horrible, it's just the 82 film is damn near perfect and hard to recapture that magic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No every time hollyweird redoes a Carpenter film, its is a fucking disaster. And while the new halloween movie wasn't horrible, it was better than that shit Rob Zombie did, it still pales compared to the OG.
John, just get up with Kurt and make something else before it's too late.
View Quote
I always felt a sequel should have Kurt making it to his bachelor pad on stilts and surviving the cold.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
So he's going to remake a remake?

Saw the original in '51. Scared the shit out of me.

James Arness (of Gunsmoke, for the Millenials) played The Thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Just do a sequel
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Prequel wasn't horrible, it's just the 82 film is damn near perfect and hard to recapture that magic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with the prequel was that it wasn't a moneymaker. Call it bad marketing, call it bad CGI, call it bad reviews... those things never stopped any of the usual fall slasher or horror films from making bank. Which means the only takeaway was that modern paying audiences just didn't want to see another Thing movie.

The original Thing had a rough go in the box office being released alongside other much more popular films. The original barely turned a profit, and is another one of those 80s films like Blade Runner that feels a lot more popular than it actually is.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I liked the original, but I also liked the rebooted one as well.  Some of you guys are experts in your own mind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I love John Carpenter. I hope he drops dead before this project gets off the ground.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#23]
"Thing" is a derogatory term. Its a trans-human.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/posters/postersn-z/thing1951.jpg
View Quote

They were both awesome for the time. Two of my favorites!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Well the closest countries to Antarctica is Chile and Argentina and the prevailing westerly wind could bring vaporized (remember all the explosions) "Thing blood" to say the Falklands and it takes-off from there.

At least you would have a English speaking population to work with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
They just need to leave the great classic movies to reset in peace.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#28]
How about they redoo the fucking Blob and leave the Thing alone.
It would have fudge packers, muff munchers, three ways and the only regular character in the whole works would be some black dude that can't act for shit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Been a huge fan of Carpenter's version since it hit the theaters in '82.

I actually liked the prequel, although it is not quite up to snuff. No need to throw females into the mix just to pander to "strong women," although I'm sure the days of an all male cast are long gone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I always preferred the original, 1951, version.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It really was a great movie. It is a family favorite of ours, we watch it once a year at least. The prequel was OK, but they used a lot of the same plot from the original.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#32]
No cgi has to be the number one rule
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#33]
This (ETA the '82 film) is one of those pre-CGI movies where the limits of realistic looking practical effects were know and not exceeded and that is just plain well-damn-done.

I think I saw the related flick (not sure if it was a reboot, a sequel, a re-make, etc) and it was OK, but I had a chance to watch the original (ETA the '82 film) recently, and it's just really, really good.  

The way that it ends is perfect.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  They have run out of ideas for new movies.  They are rehashing older classics to try and get an audience
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm still pissed at Carpenter for "Escape from LA".   So he's invited to enjoy a bowl of dicks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The problem with the prequel was that it wasn't a moneymaker. Call it bad marketing, call it bad CGI, call it bad reviews... those things never stopped any of the usual fall slasher or horror films from making bank. Which means the only takeaway was that modern paying audiences just didn't want to see another Thing movie.

The original Thing had a rough go in the box office being released alongside other much more popular films. The original barely turned a profit, and is another one of those 80s films like Blade Runner that feels a lot more popular than it actually is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

82 Thing had to compete with ET. Everyone wanted lovable aliens, not a fucking monster. 82 Thing is perfection. Many of Carpenter's films are popular because of cult followings.

Edit: I have the 2011 blu ray but haven't watched it but once or twice, I don't remember the CGI being terrible as they mixed practical with CGI. I could be remembering wrong.

The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, Rob Zombies Halloween, their remakes were all 100% piles of shit, with the Fog remake actually being somewhat watchable but still shit.
Some of it also is the time frame, you just can't capture the 70's/80's vibe of Carpenter's movies. Halloween isn't nearly as scary with fucking cell phones everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm still pissed at Carpenter for "Escape from LA".   So he's invited to enjoy a bowl of dicks.
View Quote

What why?

I thought it was okay

Ive never seen escape from NY or whatever the first one is
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#38]
The Thing is perfect as is, you cannot top it. There has been no movie before or since that captures Paranoia so perfectly, the tension in it is unreal.

This is a money grab(or a try at it,,,), pure and simple
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/posters/postersn-z/thing1951.jpg
View Quote

How old are you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What why?

I thought it was okay

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What why?

I thought it was okay

LA is pretty terrible compared to NY. Not sure what they were thinking with LA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What why?

I thought it was okay

View Quote

What The ever loving Fuck??
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Get ready for "Stronk Womanz".
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I also like Ghost of Mars even though it wasn't a strong movie. He didn't go into the "ghosts" as much as he should.
I loved an interview he did stating something to the effect "They thought it was a serious horror movie, It's titled Ghost of Mars, what the hell did you think"
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What The ever loving Fuck??
View Quote

The LA one was always on TV growing up

Shit my dad watched that movie so many times

Never saw the first one though

Its like they just never threw it out on the HBO channel
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What why?

I thought it was okay

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What why?

I thought it was okay

Choke yourself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Choke yourself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#47]
The 82 movie was perfect, other than some low-budget effects.  The growing paranoia, the slow acceptance that escape isn't an option, and neither is surrender.  I wish better effects were available to it (in it's budget range) in the time it was made but a remake will fail as they always do.  The prequel was okay, but largely just a rehash of the same storyline that went full-retard with the ship and end monster CGI.  As someone already indicated, the era is part of it.  It doesn't work in a world of global sat coms.

Just stop.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hey spoiler alert! I really never have seen it
View Quote

You can do other stuff also while posting on arfcom 24/7.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I always felt a sequel should have Kurt making it to his bachelor pad on stilts and surviving the cold.
View Quote
I while back they were talking about doing a sequel with Kurt and using frostbite to explain why he looks so much older.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top