Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You proved my point.  How is it the patient's "personal responsibility" to remain free of addiction when the government is forcing doctors to prescribe addictive pain killers?

But, to answer your question:

The drug execs knew the shit was addictive and deadly so they lobbied Congress and the president for the Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama in April 2016.
View Quote
Everybody, from the FDA to the docs to the government regulators knew, know, and will ever know that the meds are addictive and have known so since about 1860 when there was the beginnings of a huge rash of addiction in Civil War vets. And the law was desigend to protect medication manufacturers form frivolous actions kids like the laws that protect firearms manufacturers from frivolous actions.

Now, what criminal act did "drug execs" do?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They hid the truth about how dangerous they were.

This is a good ruling
View Quote
LOL. We apparently discovered that opiates are dangerous in 2019, who knew?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And IMO it will also just make Drs. not want to prescribe the proper medicine for folks that actually need pain relief.
View Quote
They already don’t. The opioid crisis is about people hurting themselves, getting enough pills to get hooked, then going to heroin when they get no pills and no detox.

I believe there’s a threefold problem. Quick addiction. Proliferation of heroin thanks to the WOD and no jobs/hopelessness in the areas that used to support manufacturing jobs.

There’s NOTHING out there for those who aren’t cut out for school/trades.

[/soapbox]

TC
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Even better yet.  What about the FDA that approved this poison!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The only way that J&J could sell this medicine is because the federal government said they could.
View Quote
Drain the swamp!! I'm sure a few palms got greased on this fiasco.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Everybody, from the FDA to the docs to the government regulators knew, know, and will ever know that the meds are addictive and have known so since about 1860 when there was the beginnings of a huge rash of addiction in Civil War vets. And the law was desigend to protect medication manufacturers form frivolous actions kids like the laws that protect firearms manufacturers from frivolous actions.

Now, what criminal act did "drug execs" do?
View Quote
Um, like you said, they knew the drugs were addictive and deadly (everyone did, right?).  They still sold them, lobbied for deregulation, and actually advertised them to doctors as non-addictive based on a single journal article (doctors should have known better, too) all while knowing they were lying and killing people (and leaving a lot of orphans) and making a lot of money in process.

I'm not a lawyer.  Maybe that's not illegal.  But it's wrong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are chemically different than the the older opiates. Stopping taking them
causes the patient to feel actual pain that is often worse than the pain they
are being used for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Um, like you said, they knew the drugs were addictive and deadly.  They sold them, lobbied for deregulation, advertised them to doctors as non-addictive based on a single journal article (doctors should have known better, too) all while knowing they were lying and killing people (and leaving a lot of orphans) and making a lot of money in process.

I'm not a lawyer.  Maybe that's not illegal.  But it's wrong.
View Quote
Yes, they are, like many drugs.  Yet, drugs with dangerous side effects are used and sold and advertised every day. It's part of the job.  And no, they were not advertised as "non-addictive." That was a myth. They were advertised as being less addictive due to the blood concentration profile and, if used properly, that is true.  The addiction issue came from addicts misusing the product and side stepping the time release part of the medications.  But most people don't know that because they don't know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

are being used for.
View Quote
Opiate induced hyperalgesia is a known characteristic of all opiates, even good old fashioned opium.  Look up receptor over-expression.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, they are, like many drugs.  Yet, drugs with dangerous side effects are used and sold and advertised every day. It's part of the job.  And no, they were not advertised as "non-addictive." That was a myth. They were advertised as being less addictive due to the blood concentration profile and, if used properly, that is true.  The addiction issue came from addicts misusing the product and side stepping the time release part of the medications.  But most people don't know that because they don't know.
View Quote
I'm going to OST this.  I have a buddy in the business and he's been telling me about this.  When I get a cite I'll @you.

@NavyDoc1
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of you may remember one of the first things Obama said about Obamacare:

Universal Obama: Maybe You're "Better Off" Taking Painkillers And Forgoing Surgery healthcare reform

And at 00:03:30:
"...maybe you're better off not having the surgery but taking the painkiller..."
View Quote
This was in reference to the elderly.

I remember he also said (I can't find a link), "Don't worry, under my plan grandma may not be able to get that knee replacement, but we'll make sure she has painkillers to deal with the pain."

So, now they're taking the painkillers too?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shit, then why do they need prescription drugs for the condition?

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And IMO it will also just make Drs. not want to prescribe the proper medicine for folks that actually need pain relief.
It's already happening.  Metastatic cancer patients are going without because Docs are not prescribing and those who do prescribe are running into pharmacists who refuse to fill the Rx.
When the old folks revolt it's going to be a bloodbath.

People in pain can get really pissed.
No worries, avoiding to commercials I saw, opioid patients are too constipated to enjoy daily life so they'll just sit at home and bitch about it.

Kharn
MiraLAX solves that problem easily.
Shit, then why do they need prescription drugs for the condition?

Kharn
Do they? My mom takes MiraLAX. I've taken it too. Works great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
View Quote
Concur.   The "crisis" is bull shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
View Quote
Plenty of blame from manufacturer CEOs to the patients, but the “solutions” to the problem will do nothing but make things worse for everyone except the drug companies & politicians.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
are being used for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are being used for.
That's been known for years. Common side-effect of cessation of all painkillers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
All the smug drug warriors in this thread cheering making pain meds harder to get, are no different than gun banners becoming surprised when banning guns does not eliminate murder.  You are not slowing drug addicts at all, nor will you cure your addicted loved one. All You are accomplishing is just fucking honest people from being able to acquire pain meds for legit medical problems, as everyone from doctors to pharmacists will refuse to provide them due to fear of losing their license. Which ironically...will drive many honest people to buy actual illegal drugs to handle pain needs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Plenty of blame from manufacturer CEOs to the patients, but the “solutions” to the problem will do nothing but make things worse for everyone except the drug companies & politicians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the doctor you trust prescribes you an addictive chemical exactly who is responsible?  When, in the depths of the opioid crisis,  Congesscritters change the law to make it harder to shut down the companies churning out the drugs exactly who is responsible?  When DEA officials, who should be prosecuting the drug companies but are angling for better-paying jobs lobbying for them, fail to prosecute crimes exactly who is responsible?
I'm with you on that.  Huge fines hit stock-holders (retirement accounts) and impact research while leaving the decision-makers unscathed.

ETA: But, really, the fines are chicken feed vs. the profits they made.  I read they made 11 billion over the course of this thing.  What's $150 million?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm going to OST this.  I have a buddy in the business and he's been telling me about this.  When I get a cite I'll @you.

@NavyDoc1
View Quote
Fair enough.. However, the exact term, on actually used advertising literature is "non-addictive."  Not "less addictive." Not "less abuse potential."  But "non-addictive."  Will need actual photo or screen shot of actual material actually used in advertising.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
total bullshit. J+J Never told MD's to overprescribe, total fucking horseshit. Most Dr's aren't even visited by reps from narcotic companies. They were prescribing according to tradition learned from the "PDR".The bible that docs use when deciding which and how much of a med to give to patients. It wasn't the everyday average MD causing the issue, it was the fucking crooked fucks(who were usually foreigners, but not always) who sold their souls and the narcotics.J+J did not convince ANYONE to overprescribe. No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain. IT is corrupt judges on the take from attorneys who came up with this judgment only to split the money they steal from J+J.So I hope no one is happy here because maybe the next time you need aspirin it may not be available because j+J is gone
View Quote
Kinda doubt that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/jnj/financials
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some of you may remember one of the first things Obama said about Obamacare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WnxsuVqSo8

And at 00:03:30:

This was in reference to the elderly.

I remember he also said (I can't find a link), "Don't worry, under my plan grandma may not be able to get that knee replacement, but we'll make sure she has painkillers to deal with the pain."

So, now they're taking the painkillers too?
View Quote
I remember that too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Transference of blame from the end-user is a common occurrence in modern society.

No one takes responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
nothing beats trying to take a shit for an hour and squeezin out an opiate turd the size of a small child from some good ol doctor prescribed pain killers
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
nothing beats trying to take a shit for an hour and squeezin out an opiate turd the size of a small child from some good ol doctor prescribed pain killers
View Quote
Is it his fault you forgot to buy MiraLAX?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No worries, avoiding to commercials I saw, opioid patients are too constipated to enjoy daily life so they'll just sit at home and bitch about it.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's already happening.  Metastatic cancer patients are going without because Docs are not prescribing and those who do prescribe are running into pharmacists who refuse to fill the Rx.

Kharn
It was at this time this became a poop thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How much of those opiates were bought by medicare and medicaid patients?  The state should sue itself for enabling the opiate crisis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because a judge telling doctors what to do is a great plan.
How much of those opiates were bought by medicare and medicaid patients?  The state should sue itself for enabling the opiate crisis.
Yeah, but pain is the fifth vital sign ... right?

The evening news tonight was talking about the overdose deaths in Oklahoma. If these patients were taking their meds as prescribed, how did they OD?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
The "crisis" is not bullshit for the kids at the bottom of the hill this shit rolls down.

By which I mean, I teach elementary school and have had to deal with the fallout of more than several overdoses (a couple fatal) over the past few years and, speaking for the kids, there's nothing "bullshit" about this.  The ODs, even non-fatal ones, are really bad for the kids too as they often find themselves displaced to foster or grandparents’ care and a new school or, if they started out with both parents, just end up back at school sometimes with a dead mom or dad.

This wasn't happening 10 years ago.  At least not among these people.  Something changed to where middle class, productive people started abusing opioids and dying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Doesn’t this set a president for gun manufacturers.?
View Quote
No, but maybe a precedent.

Also for car manufacturers and ANY industry where someone kills themselves through stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Ahhh, a good old fashioned shakedown.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I actually agree with this. It sets a bad precedent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#29]
@NavyDoc1

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198001103020221

This was the “evidence” that was used to promote the drugs as non addictive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This will just cause the rest of their medication prices to go up. We are always looking for someone else to blame for our personal failings.
View Quote
yup.

They will not pay, we will pay.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its definately johnson & johnson's fault. Whatever. Being constipated like that builds character
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#32]
So much for personal responsibility!  Next, sueing McDonald's because you are fat?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
No more personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
YOU are responsible.  After my.tripple hernia surgery, my Dr gave me a dozen oxy. I took Advil and flushed the oxy,
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I have been saying, don't piss off the people that are about to die anyway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ahhh, a good old fashioned shakedown.
View Quote
Agreed.

The only thing this "crisis" has done so far is create a giant self-licking government ice cream cone that makes it harder for honest people to get relief for chronic pain.

A couple of years ago my doc told me that the writing was on the wall for the shit show we are dealing with today. She said that I would need to go to a pain clinic and jump through a bunch of hoops if I wanted to keep taking narcotics for chronic pain. I have a torn Achilles, a blown knee, and other injuries I received after being run over by a drunk driver while walking through a parking lot in 2013.

Rather than jump through more hoops I opted to taper and stop taking narcotics all together. Today I cycle between Aleve, Tylenol, and Motrin. My quality of life is awful and my liver and kidneys are taking a beating - but at least the politicians can pat themselves on the back for "doing soemthing"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
They go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Calling the opioid crisis an "imminent danger and menace,"
View Quote

"Specifically, defendants caused an opioid crisis that's evidenced by increased rates of addiction, overdose deaths and neonatal abstinence syndrome"
View Quote
What a fucking idiot.  No one is responsible for their own actions any more.  The risks of these substances have been WELL known for more than 100 years.

When does the suit against the FDA proceed?  Oh yeah, that's right.  They aren't Big Pharma (tm) with deep pockets to fleece.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
its definately johnson & johnson's fault. Whatever. Being constipated like that builds character
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing is more character building than sitting on the shitter for 2 hours pushing out grape-sized pellets of super dense poop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So much for personal responsibility!  Next, sueing McDonald's because you are fat?
View Quote
It worked for the coffee-spiller guy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#41]
GD logic:

Google editing content = their business their rules

Burning the flag = not freedom of speech and those assholes need to be in jail.

Gun deaths = not gun manufacturers problem - guns are just a tool

Tobacco = I can smoke anywhere screw everyone else or screw all smokers you all suck - depends on the day.

Drug company makes drugs that people use to help
With pain pain = prescription or not people abuse them and get addicted and it’s then the manufacturers fault

.....I mean ok
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait a minute Doc - are you going to assert that your typical junkie/drug addict doesn't use these meds as prescribed?  

Of course, as usual, you are exactly correct.

I have at times in my life had things like Percocet in my medicine cabinet for YEARS.  I was prescribed it, didn't need all of it, held onto it for a rainy day.  And yet, magically, I'm not manning the glory hole to pay for my next hit of smack.  But your average drug addict, who will try ANYTHING and who buys into all kinds of bullshit ("hey man, draw the meth into the syringe through a cigarette butt, the filter purifies it" ) and who represent the vast majority of opioid addicts in the OPIOID CRISIS can't possibly be to blame.  It's not their behavior, it's those evil drug companies that marketed the meds the way they did!  (I guess they sent the mechanism of action data to these fledgling PhDs' houses....uh crack houses)

Let's make 85 year old Grandmas with cancer physically go to Dr offices to get their prescriptions renewed.  That sounds like a rational path to solve the "crisis".
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#43]
So grown people who decided to use these drugs get a free pass and everybody blames  Johnson & Johnson. Only in America can grown people do dumb stuff and everybody pitys them. The users should be locked up. Let me guess accountability is for "snowflakes". IDC this world is sick.??
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@NavyDoc1

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198001103020221

This was the “evidence” that was used to promote the drugs as non addictive.
View Quote
Nowhere is "non-addictive " in that article. It says that addiction of three types of drugs were rare in hospitals. Rare--not non addictive--and yes, it has a valid point.

You have repeatedly said that these meds were marketed as "non-addictive."  Now show me that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The "crisis" is not bullshit for the kids at the bottom of the hill this shit rolls down.

By which I mean, I teach elementary school and have had to deal with the fallout of more than several overdoses (a couple fatal) over the past few years and, speaking for the kids, there's nothing "bullshit" about this.  The ODs, even non-fatal ones, are really bad for the kids too as they often find themselves displaced to foster or grandparents’ care and a new school or, if they started out with both parents, just end up back at school sometimes with a dead mom or dad.

This wasn't happening 10 years ago.  At least not among these people.  Something changed to where middle class, productive people started abusing opioids and dying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it wrong to not care?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The extra potency causes this behavior. "No one told stupid fucks to dissolve it and inject it,snort it or smoke it let alone lie to 10 different dos that they are in pain"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I always wonder where the money goes on these giant judgements against corporations.

I'm assuming a good chunk goes to lawyers and the rest disappears into the black hole of government. Guessing a lot of the time the judgement is overturned or lowered eventually on appeal.

When you start talking talking half a billion here or there thats real money. Where does it go? Like with the giant tobacco settlements where did all that loot disappear to?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#48]
For all of you saying "good" just remember that this sets a legal precedent for other things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not good. Terrible decision. Abhorrent.

Let me guess: "big corporations bad!"
View Quote
Not at all. Defending the creation and use of fentanyl is going to be a never ending argument. I say this drug was designed to be addictive and if J and J did not see what they were doing they tirned a blind eye
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because who needs personal responsibility when you've got lawyers, right
Uhhh, I am.

Virtually every adult I'm related to or currently associate with has been prescribed "opiod" painkillers at some point in their life, and somehow they've ALL  managed to use them in a medically responsible manner and not go shopping around for more afterwards.

We must be some pack of warlocks to have such powers.

Oh wait; maybe we're just not a bunch of junkie shitbags who were already hard at work getting blasted on street drugs before we were prescribed medical painkillers.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top