Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2023 8:23:49 PM EDT
Doesn’t mean you should.  Saw a pretty nasty crash today between a cyclist and a trailer.  Narrow bridge, wide trailer, cyclist caught the fender of the trailer riding on the narrow shoulder.  Banged the guardrail and Down into the river the cyclist went.  Cyclist was underwater for a long time.

You can stand on your laurels all you want but physics won’t care in the end.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
As a miata driver on the roads I play by physics rules.

But speed and agility can make up for some size.

Keeps your eyes open and drive offensively!
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch.

This is why I don't ride on roads if I can help it.  Bike trails only for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad always called that sort of thing the law of dead right.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doesn’t mean you should.  Saw a pretty nasty crash today between a cyclist and a trailer.  Narrow bridge, wide trailer, cyclist caught the fender of the trailer riding on the narrow shoulder.  Banged the guardrail and Down into the river the cyclist went.  Cyclist was underwater for a long time.

View Quote

My dad and his friend witnessed the aftermath of a young man on a sport bike. Went around a curve too fast, clipped a sign, got thrown. They found him with fluid coming out of his ears. Dude shared my first name too. Messed my dad up pretty good.

Small world, he was going to get married to relatives of my next door neighbors. Their relative he was going to marry is a girl I used to go to elementary school with. Never knew she was related to them, they moved in when I was 9 or 10.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I have reached that point when people behaving badly and paying the ultimate price does not bother me much.

Two guys were racing through the industrial park I worked in. One guy took the turn too fast too furious, jumped the curb, went sideways into a Bradford pear tree.

It's was not apeaceful death, his head caught between the A pillar and tree, the low canopy covered the carnage from the road.

As fate would have it, the car ahead of me was being driven by my future wife. This clown missed her by only a second.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It's silly to do car stuff on a bike.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad called it the law of gross tonnage.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.

Lug nut rule for roads. The one with the most lug nuts wins. A Smart car has more lug nuts than a bicycle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
i drive either a peterbilt or a one ton and you motherfuckers still make me nervous

no fucking way, NO FUCKING WAY, that i drive around in or on something not substantial enough to take a decent hit from some douchebag on their phone
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lugnut rule
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This right here.

Lug nut rule for roads. The one with the most lug nuts wins. A Smart car has more lug nuts than a bicycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here.

you could be on the biggest, baddest two wheeled whatthefuckever and the little old lady in the geo metro will make you her bitch
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Defensive riding is a thing. Even for cyclists.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Brave for driving the Miata, or brave for admitting to driving the Miata?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. My Miata was able to get me out of some situations where I'd have been splattered in a full sized car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Driving offensively.

Thought I was the only one who said that.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

you could be on the biggest, baddest two wheeled whatthefuckever and the little old lady in the geo metro will make you her bitch
View Quote

That is some #Truth right there!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Doesn’t mean you should.  Saw a pretty nasty crash today between a cyclist and a trailer.  Narrow bridge, wide trailer, cyclist caught the fender of the trailer riding on the narrow shoulder. Banged the guardrail and Down into the river the cyclist went.  Cyclist was underwater for a long time.

View Quote

As much as I despise stereotypical road-bicyclists, I'm not sure how I feel about this particular case.

IF the cyclist was riding WITH traffic, and IF he was "riding on the narrow shoulder" the only way he would have "caught" anything was if the driver of the trailer crossed onto the shoulder. That would make this crash the driver's fault for not keeping his vehicle in the lane of travel.

There was a bad bicycle crash here a few years back. Older gentleman riding down the shoulder of a state highway "practicing for a bicycle race" got clipped from behind and shot to the moon. Stupid thing is there was a paved, public access, former-railroad grade less than 1/3 mile away that paralleled the same route he was taking. But the "serious" cyclists don't want to use that because the pavement isn't quite as nice and they're supposed to stop at intersections.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Bike riders around here are now riding in the center of the lane completely blocking traffic from going around them until they can pass in the other lane.  
I’m not sure if I’m pissed over this or not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Riders are suicidal around here.

They ride on a lot of the 40-50mph twisty hilly state roads with no room past the fog line.

How we don't see 100+ of them killed each year is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Kid was riding back from ANOTHER squid's funeral at Memorial Park Cemetery and decided to "ride a wheelie in his honor"
he got his wish and was drinking with his dead friend in he!! the same night

straight from the files of Tulsa PD, US 169 at 81st St So, Brandon Lee White (deceased) April 17, 2007 01:00
estimated speed 120+mph

I wonder what was the last thing that went through his mind when he hit the back of that truck
his asshole!
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Riders are suicidal around here.

They ride on a lot of the 40-50mph twisty hilly state roads with no room past the fog line.

How we don't see 100+ of them killed each year is beyond me.
View Quote

I have family there. Worst roads I have seen for cyclists. With property taxes as high as they are, you would think there would be streets wide enough for current vehicles, street signs, street lights, paved streets, fire hydrants, city water, city sewage, city trash service...
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#25]
So, the bicyclist swerved over as the vehicle was passing and closed the 3 feet of clearance the motorist had given him and caught a piece of the trailer?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#26]
If OSHA was in charge of roads, bicycles wouldn’t be allowed on them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As much as I despise stereotypical road-bicyclists, I'm not sure how I feel about this particular case.

IF the cyclist was riding WITH traffic, and IF he was "riding on the narrow shoulder" the only way he would have "caught" anything was if the driver of the trailer crossed onto the shoulder. That would make this crash the driver's fault for not keeping his vehicle in the lane of travel.

There was a bad bicycle crash here a few years back. Older gentleman riding down the shoulder of a state highway "practicing for a bicycle race" got clipped from behind and shot to the moon. Stupid thing is there was a paved, public access, former-railroad grade less than 1/3 mile away that paralleled the same route he was taking. But the "serious" cyclists don't want to use that because the pavement isn't quite as nice and they're supposed to stop at intersections.
View Quote

This has nothing to do with “feelings”…it has to do with physics.  It probably is the drivers fault…lot of good that’ll do the likely dead cyclist.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, the bicyclist swerved over as the vehicle was passing and closed the 3 feet of clearance the motorist had given him and caught a piece of the trailer?
View Quote

Nope, shoulder was maybe 18inches, cyclists was riding close to that shoulder…maybe 4-5 inches and the trailer clipped him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This has nothing to do with “feelings”…it has to do with physics.  It probably is the drivers fault…lot of good that’ll do the likely dead cyclist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don’t know what you’re talking about.

“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” but in your story is sounds like it might be the driver’s fault, and not the cyclist?

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

“Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” but in your story is sounds like it might be the driver’s fault, and not the cyclist?

View Quote

Why am I not surprised you aren’t putting two and two together?

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Hope he had one of those little goofy helmets with the holes on.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If OSHA was in charge of roads, bicycles wouldn't be allowed on them.
View Quote
Nah... No one to fine
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Cyclist dead?  Sounds like driver was negligent and didn’t give space resulting in serious injury or death.  Definably never a scenario I want to find myself in.  What’s driver’s screen name?  

Suppose either way everyone’s fucked. Driver may have thought it was funny at first and herped derped about ‘stupid spandex wearers’.  But he might as well clear his calendar for the next few years for court dates.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]
We are all subject to the immutable laws of physics.  It’s unfortunate & sometimes humorous in a Darwinian-kinda way when some people think these laws aren’t enforced…..
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bike riders around here are now riding in the center of the lane completely blocking traffic from going around them until they can pass in the other lane.  
I’m not sure if I’m pissed over this or not.
View Quote

It’s usually law that they can take the full lane when there is no dedicated lane.  Most vehicular law states that you have to give bicycles the same berth as an automobile.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cyclist dead?  Sounds like driver was negligent and didn’t give space resulting in serious injury or death.  Definably never a scenario I want to find myself in.  What’s driver’s screen name?  

Suppose either way everyone’s fucked. Driver may have thought it was funny at first and herped derped about ‘stupid spandex wearers’.  But he might as well clear his calendar for the next few years for court dates.
View Quote

If he is alive he’s got some issues from being under water that long.  I’m sure it won’t be pleasant for the driver for awhile…but  the driver will be alive.

Maybe the satisfaction of being technically correct in the last moments of the cyclists’ life or the last functional cognitive moment before he was an oxygen starved vegetable was worth it all…dunno…not something I’d care to find out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kid was riding back from ANOTHER squid's funeral at Memorial Park Cemetery and decided to "ride a wheelie in his honor"
he got his wish and was drinking with his dead friend in he!! the same night

straight from the files of Tulsa PD, US 169 at 81st St So, Brandon Lee White (deceased) April 17, 2007 01:00
estimated speed 120+mph

https://www.roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bike-4.jpg

https://www.roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bike-5.jpg

I wonder what was the last thing that went through his mind when he hit the back of that truck
his asshole!
View Quote

Horry shit!!!

There are easier ways to look inside the back of that trailer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#38]
That's the thing about people that ride bicycles on roads with actual traffic.  They have the right of way.  They know they have the right of way.  Due to that, bicyclists seem to have thrown any concern for self preservation out the window.  "I have the right of way regardless of the fact that your 30,000# truck will completely crush me if something goes wrong."

It blows my mind the situations that these bicyclists put themselves in without any concern for their own well being. Because you know, they have the right of way.

All I know is that self preservation takes priority over right of way every time for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

His point is that regardless of who is at fault, whoever is riding the bike loses due to physics.  Zero concern for their own well-being.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#40]
About 10 years ago I saw a guy on a sport bike kill himself in my neighborhood.

It was a Friday night and I was on my way to Pizza Hut to pick up a pizza. My wife works nights and had just left the house to head to the hospital. I made it to the end of my street and a guy on a sport bike pulled away from a stop sign and did a wheelie and flipped on his back. He slid into an oncoming car that hit him. Turns out the car was his roommate and he was probably showing off for his roommate. He wasnt dead when the paramedics arrived but was brain dead. His parents pulled the plug after a week or so. One of the paramedics was my wife’s best friend from high school coincidently. He called me later that night to ask me wtf happened.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Driving offensively.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driving offensively.

Nope! It is my rule too!

You can't win the game with defense alone!

30+ years as a Professional Driver
<=====
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I call this “Right, Yet Still Dead”

Saw it a lot at the FD. Had the right of way, had the light, etc.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nope, shoulder was maybe 18inches, cyclists was riding close to that shoulder…maybe 4-5 inches and the trailer clipped him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the operator of the motor vehicle was at fault.  Setting aside the 3 foot statutory minimum for a moment, the driver made a demonstratively unsafe pass on a narrow bridge with depraved indifference to a person's safety, and destroyed a human life.  

The driver won't serve enough jail time.  The driver won't have the assets to make the person, or his estate, whole.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So, the operator of the motor vehicle was at fault.  Setting aside the 3 foot statutory minimum for a moment, the driver made a demonstratively unsafe pass on a narrow bridge with depraved indifference to a person's safety, and destroyed a human life.  

The driver won't serve enough jail time.  The driver won't have the assets to make the person, or his estate, whole.
View Quote

Do you think being technically right achieved some sort of self actualization instantly before death that made being right worth it or was it the cyclist last fleeting moment one of terror like most trauma deaths?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

His point is that regardless of who is at fault, whoever is riding the bike loses due to physics.  Zero concern for their own well-being.
View Quote

His point is retarded, then.

Yes, a bicycle loses to a vehicle.

A small car loses to a pickup truck.

A pickup truck loses to a tractor trailer.

And so on.

I hate cyclists who think that they own the road but if the cyclist had the right to be on the narrow bridge and some dipshit with a wide trailer killed him, then the driver is at fault and the OP premise “just because you can doesn’t mean you should” is pants on head stupid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

His point is retarded, then.

Yes, a bicycle loses to a vehicle.

A small car loses to a pickup truck.

A pickup truck loses to a tractor trailer.

And so on.

I hate cyclists who think that they own the road but if the cyclist had the right to be on the narrow bridge and some dipshit with a wide trailer killed him, then the driver is at fault and the OP premise “just because you can doesn’t mean you should” is pants on head stupid.
View Quote

Darwin would disagree in this case.

Putting your safety in someone else’s hands while they drive a few feet away at 70 mph with a heavy metallic vehicle, with nothing more than a thin plastic liner and a couple inches of foam between your noggin’ and pavement/guard rails…as seen in this case can be hazardous to your health.

Drivers at fault…okay…the cyclist is still dead.  Maybe the cyclist received some sort of satisfaction/clarity that made it all worth it before his heart stopped beating and Bowles released…dunno
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Car vs. Bike
I don't care who is in the right, I know who wins.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I constantly remind people at work that them bring right and the fork lift driver being wrong won’t keep them out of the hospital or the morgue.

“But he’s supposed to beep his horn.  Waaaaaaa! Waaaaaaa!”

“Yes.  You can engrave that on your tombstone, if you like. You are responsible for you.”
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#49]
It sounds like the same thing could have happened to a pedestrian on that bridge.
There's a narrow bridge, 55 mph, like that near where I live. I would never ride my bicycle across that bridge, although many people do, every day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad had a similar saying, too. He’d say that there’s a lot of people in the cemetery/graveyard who were right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top