Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So your cheap friend is letting his machinist neighbor subsidize his project with dozens of hours of free "tinkering?"

Sounds like what i do to my machinist friends.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How much do reamers cost that you have made specifically for a project?

View Quote

I’d have to ask him, but I believe it was just under $300
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread redeems GD for the day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If I could go back and learn something new, or even a new career, I think it would be a machinist. I'm fascinated by it, but I wouldn't even know the first thing about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much do reamers cost that you have made specifically for a project?

Thanks, that's not bad........I'll tell a buddy of mine to go ahead and order one and the additional gauges from them.

He wants one for a caliber that escapes me but he was worried how much it would cost.  (It's a bigger caliber like the .416 or above, just can't remember.)

He is having a machinist friend do something like that for him also.  (I have nothing to do with that because I don't know how to do that machinist stuff.  Way over my head.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Very neat.  I figure if I ever get to this point with mine I will use one of my CNC machines but this would be days of design, setup, and prototyping for a one-off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Defo subscribed.

I had my fun with K31s. Even snagged a barreled action and a laminated stock to turn into a scoped target rifle. Never got around to doing it, and my tastes changed. Made back 3x what I paid for the rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So your cheap friend is letting his machinist neighbor subsidize his project with dozens of hours of free "tinkering?"

Sounds like what i do to my machinist friends.
View Quote

Well, it’s my neighbor “tinkering around “ for My range buddy, but yeah...but he’s taking care of the machinists and I’m the one that talked him into it...
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because he wants to do a 1.25 at the muzzle Krieger .

Can’t screw that through a barrel stub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, any particular reason your friend didn't want to go the bbl stub route, & just screw in a .308 bbl into a bored out 7.5mm bbl stub?  Seemingly would be a lot less work.

I'm afraid I don't follow.  You certainly couldn't do that by sleeving the bbl, but that wasn't what I was asking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Still have to have a machinist buddy to cut all the fancy threads, ramp and extractor cut, crown it and chamber it .
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm afraid I don't follow.  You certainly couldn't do that by sleeving the bbl, but that wasn't what I was asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, any particular reason your friend didn't want to go the bbl stub route, & just screw in a .308 bbl into a bored out 7.5mm bbl stub?  Seemingly would be a lot less work.

I guess I don’t understand the question.

He wanted to build a target rifle with a big heavy barrel . That couldn’t be accomplished by boring through the old barrel stub. Plus you are adding another variable to the accuracy equation, threads within threads, three pieces where there should be two.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool thread.

Not a fan of sporterizing, but this is an exception.

I had a K31/43 sniper that did not have glass but was tapped for a mount, and I built it up to be an accurized shooter (glass bedding, optics, etc). It was a tack driver, just as the swiss made her once we relieved the stock a bit. Sub MOA 5-shot groups were easy with GP11. With handloads? Would easily do .6" groups...not bad for a WWII gun.

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
That last one of these articles I saw the guy finished and made the rifle almost as accurate as it was when he started molesting it. The reality is that they are very accurate with GP-11 ammo out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazing.  Didn’t realize what I was clicking into.  

Great thread.  Subscribed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
So with barrel and reamer in hand, we set out to build a rifle.

We decided to do a practice run before we stuck the $300 reamer in the $ 500 barrel.

I bought a 1.5 diameter piece of stainless steel for my neighbor to practice on.

He did a full run, start to finish, threads, ramp, all of it, and then we chambered the stub to test

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So with barrel and reamer in hand, we set out to build a rifle.

Awe decided to do a practice run before we stuck the $300 reamer in the $ 500 barrel.

Zap I bought a 1.5 diameter piece of stainless steel for my neighbor to practice on.

He did a full run, start to finish, threads, ramp, all of it, and then we chambered the stub to test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtPj0kclpI
View Quote

Sweet.  Tag
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

Not a fan of sporterizing, but this is an exception.

I had a K31/43 sniper that did not have glass but was tapped for a mount, and I built it up to be an accurized shooter (glass bedding, optics, etc). It was a tack driver, just as the swiss made her once we relieved the stock a bit. Sub MOA 5-shot groups were easy with GP11. With handloads? Would easily do .6" groups...not bad for a WWII gun.

View Quote

Keep in mind that this receiver was purchased as a barreled receiver, no bolt, trigger, stock.

It was at best going to be a frankengun that didn’t shoot well.

Way too late to restore to original.

So why not?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]

https://k31.ch/en/

Not for everyone, but, a K31 does well in a modern chassis.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
OP is a cool dude.

tagscribed
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://k31.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/slide-01-love.svg_.en_-1280x800.png

View Quote

That might be the coolest shit I’ve seen today. And I’ve seen some seriously cool shit today.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
So up till now, all the work my neighbor had done was on short test pieces, chucked up in his South Bend 9 inch.

Now he had a full length blank to deal with, way to fat to pass through his headstock.

He spent a great deal of time on the set up, starting on a live center he turned the bearing surface concentric to the bore, and cut the threads.

Cutting metric threads this way is a huge pain in the ass, the thread counter doesn’t work, so you cannot pull the cutting tool out, he had to cut to the relief, shut off the lathe, reverse through the threads to the start, then make the next cut.

Intense focus required.

The set up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Once the threads were cut , he had to add the steady rest so he could bore into the barrel and create the ring for the ramp.

Cutting threads K-31 Krieger barrel
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that this receiver was purchased as a barreled receiver, no bolt, trigger, stock.

It was at best going to be a frankengun that didn't shoot well.

Way too late to restore to original.

So why not?
View Quote

Oh for sure, this is the best reason to abandon the original configuration! And, I like where you're going with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's not bad........I'll tell a buddy of mine to go ahead and order one and the additional gauges from them.

He wants one for a caliber that escapes me but he was worried how much it would cost.  (It's a bigger caliber like the .416 or above, just can't remember.)

He is having a machinist friend do something like that for him also.  (I have nothing to do with that because I don't know how to do that machinist stuff.  Way over my head.)
View Quote

@RDak

https://4drentals.com/
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Very, very cool.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't get no funny ideas !

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/22121212-920x608.png

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/555555555-920x443.png

Larry Racine was the gunsmith supplying re-barrel services. He is gone.
He did say, the earlier Swiss rifles were no more difficult to re-barrel than a 30-30.
Very nice work.
View Quote

Jesus wept.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I only have one K31, a 1941 beech stocked model.

It's one of the rifles I have that inexplicably shoots better than I can see.  I can't explain it but it does.

Haven't shot it in years and I think I only have 100rd or so left of what was once cheap GP11

Nice thread will be a cool shooter
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
So after a lot of stressful moments Checking and re-checking, my neighbor got all the exterior machine work finished on the barrel

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After he finished the machine work, I stoned out the tool marks prior to chambering.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now we were ready to chamber.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Good stuff
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://k31.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/slide-01-love.svg_.en_-1280x800.png

View Quote

I am a traditionalist when it comes to most (but not all) military weapons, but I could easy tolerate the above.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  I guess I don’t understand the question.

He wanted to build a target rifle with a big heavy barrel . That couldn’t be accomplished by boring through the old barrel stub. Plus you are adding another variable to the accuracy equation, threads within threads, three pieces where there should be two.
View Quote

What I don't understand is the part in bold.

I get that you're adding an adapter - an extra piece.  I can see why he might not want to do so.  I don't understand the impossibility of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#34]
While we were waiting for the barrel and reamer, my neighbor and I had been rebuilding my lathe, a Southbend Heavy TenL, 4 ft bed, 1.5 “ headstock bore.

Archived thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/South-Bend-Heavy-10L-Build/187-2463498/

We finished it at a good time, because threading was the outside limit of what could be done on my neighbor’s lathe. There simply wasn’t room to push the reamer into that long barrel.

So we moved to my shop for chambering in my “new” 1940’s lathe.

Attachment Attached File

A couple notes, yes, in this photo I'm indicating off the outside. It was turned on centers, and is pretty damn conccentric, but this is just my initial set up. I also used an indicating rod after getting it close. on the outside.

And yes, that is a three jaw chuck. Buuuuut; if you look closely, it is a four way adjustable three way, so it can be operated as a four way. And it was.

Attachment Attached File

Number two, of four
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I get that you're adding an adapter - an extra piece.  I can see why he might not want to do so.  I don't understand the impossibility of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not impossible at all, it's been done. Just not desirable for what we are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not impossible at all, it's been done. Just not desirable for what we are trying to accomplish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  Quite envious of your lathe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
damn

thanks for sharing op
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]
THis isn't just a thread, it's an inspiration to all the ARFCOM brothers who are losing hope in the world.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]
OST
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I usually post these in the Gunsmithing forum, but let’s see if It can survive in GD.

I made a friend at the range a few years back, chatted and swapped guns, had similar tastes in guns and shooting philosophy.

Ran into him at an FFL, I was picking up a Parker Hale receiver, he was picking up two barreled K-31 receivers. He’s a bit of a K-31 nut, already had several originals.

One thing led to another and I ended up borescoping his newly acquired toys.

“this one was in the infantry, and this one was in the home guard!”

So he decided to build the “good” barreled action into a sporter.

He found a Richards Sporter stock, I pillar bedded and glass bedded it for him, and did the final innletting.

He sanded and finished it.

Cut receiver in half, send it and barrel to me, I'll cut the barrel and reweld the receiver into a pistol.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195613/8CAA8920-2D6C-4B5E-B850-1D5D90DAB090_jpe-2091202.JPG

It shot really good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195613/5745D950-F52E-4DFA-A488-B7FEDF0FEABB_jpe-2091205.JPG

But what to do with the other receiver with the crap barrel?
View Quote

Cut receiver and barrel in half, then send it all to me and I'll reweld it into a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Cut receiver and barrel in half, then send it all to me and I'll reweld it into a pistol.
View Quote

The Obrez folks used two Mosin receivers, as IIRC, ATF is requiring two torch cuts.  One receiver you chop up short/long/short and the other you chop up long/short/long, leaving plenty of meat for the reweld.

Not much done anymore as it's cheaper to get the tax stamp than two receivers & all that work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@RDak

https://4drentals.com/

Thank you!!!

I'll let him know (if he hasn't ordered one from Mason yet).
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thank you!!!

I'll let him know (if he hasn't ordered one from Mason yet).
View Quote

Yeah, if you don’t need a custom reamer, they’re great, very reasonable pricing, quick shipping, quality, well maintained tools.

I’ve used them for several other projects.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#44]
So we indicated the bore, and chambered the Krieger.

0754283C 2F8A 4BFD 9777 AE607312D2A4

I just realized that no one made any video or took any photos of the actual chambering, it was my first time on my new lathe, my first full chambering of a blank( I’ve finished and headspaced short chambers and AI chambers in the past), and it was amateur hour sticking my friends $300 reamer into his $500 barrel, so everyone was focused on the process, not taking photos .

But we got it to under 10thou, pulled it out of the lathe, and finished it ever so slowly by hand.

In the K-31, the firing pin spring assists the bolt camming into battery, but we quickly discovered in the practice run that it takes away the “feel” for the gauges, and it’s essential to remove the spring for head spacing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Unlike a normal bolt gun, you cannot turn the bolt by hand, you can only drive it forward and force the camming action.

The determination of it being in full battery is the location of the serial numbers rolled in the bolt body, and the contact of the rear of the bolt body to the receiver.

This is what it looks like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#46]
So we gingerly cut until we both agreed that it was indeed in full battery, my friend having much more experience with the actions function was comfortable that it was in full lock up. with the spring installed it snapped in battery on the go gauge, but not the no go, so we are convinced that we have achieved the best chamber we could have hoped for.

At this point We disassembled the barrel and receiver.

Also, while waiting to chamber, I went ahead and crowned the barrel with an 11 degree target crown.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#47]
might as well thread it for a suppressor while you're at it
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#48]
This is a cool thread.  Amazing how much work and fitting went into these rifles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
So now with chambering compete, and the barrel removed, we can address a few issues.

My friend wants bling, so we’re doing all we can to pretty it up. The barrel will get chucked up and polished until he’s happy, then he will clean it until he is satisfied that no grit or chips remain before we do final assembly.

I am addressing some rust pitting on the receiver.

Attachment Attached File

Just sanded it out while maintaining the profile, out to 600 grit, then it got rust blued.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After first rust and carding.

Rust two

Attachment Attached File

Think I did a total of four before I got paranoid and quit. I’m doing what I call “ patch bluing” where I fix a defect without removing the entire finish. Only the damaged spot was sanded, and enough to maintain the profile. The majority of the original finish was left intact.

I have in the past screwed up by allowing the part to over rust, which causes micro pitting, visible only under magnification, but presents visually as a matte, grayish finish.

Didn’t want that to happen here as the original is very black and I wanted to preserve that.

So I quit while I was ahead. Might be a little light in bright light, we’ll see.

Attachment Attached File

So now we are up to real time, where we actually are today. I didn’t want to start the thread until I was fairly certain we were going to be successful and finish the gun, and besides , this has been ongoing for over a year, with long waits for the barrel, reamer, and stock.

Thread would have died and gone to archive by now...

Everything is in play now, confidence is high, we should wrap up the action next week and move on to the stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#50]
But how are you going to feed it?

GP11 is worth its weight in gold and everyone is sold out of Berger VLDs.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top