BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What more context is needed that can't be figured out from a drone video of the event?
I think what people are mad about is them stepping over a dying man to climb a mountain and taking happy selfies, not that there is very little they can do on the side of a mountain.

If they did take the time to try and help or work out a plan of some sort that is one thing, but it doesn't read like that is what the video actually shows happening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone is claiming that the video lied?  

Lakpa Sherpa, a mountaineer who was on the climb and took the video, told MailOnline that the footage doesn't capture what actually happened:  

No..
That the video does not contain all the context needed to make the accuser correct.

He was there and says people did in fact attempt to help him but he died before anything of substance could be done. It’s a dam dangerous place with zero outside help. Barring some different info..I’m ok with it.

What more context is needed that can't be figured out from a drone video of the event?
I think what people are mad about is them stepping over a dying man to climb a mountain and taking happy selfies, not that there is very little they can do on the side of a mountain.

If they did take the time to try and help or work out a plan of some sort that is one thing, but it doesn't read like that is what the video actually shows happening.

The selfie part added in is very tacky imho. If you want to capture the moment a man lost his life on a very dangerous climb, ok. But pulling the cam out for a selfie while a man lay dying is fucking stupid.

Everyone knows and agrees to the risks. Wouldn’t be surprised is sherpa could talk when he went down, probably would have told them to leave him. Shit is dangerous as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lakpa Sherpa, a mountaineer who was on the climb and took the video, told MailOnline that the footage doesn't capture what actually happened:  

No..
That the video does not contain all the context needed to make the accuser correct.

He was there and says people did in fact attempt to help him but he died before anything of substance could be done. It’s a dam dangerous place with zero outside help. Barring some different info..I’m ok with it.

You can see how slowly they are moving. Person taking selfie can’t run up there and go to town. He can’t call for help. I would imagine most of those people have some decent lifesaving skills for their hobby. Some people just won’t make it and probably understood it may be YOU who doesn’t. Don’t waste supplies/ energy if unneeded.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's always a possibility in high altitude climbing that if something goes wrong you might be left to die. There's only so much that can be done. You can only carry so much gear, and can't rely on anyone else to save you.

Happens often, and it's always a scandal.  Even Edmund Hillary had reservations about putting achievements over humanity, but it's a traffic jam on mountains nowadays, lots of people, lots of money, but only so much time.

Would that Sherpa really have wanted people to die trying to rescue him?
View Quote

I would put a sign on my back saying “if I die, kick me down the mountain”
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
He had someone helping him already.

What did he want.  A handjob by ever passing climber.

Not much anyone could do anyway.  

Next time he will be lucky if someone doesnt roll his ass off the mountain
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Video is incapable of showing what was going on up there.

But, if you don't believe Lakpa, why in hell would you believe me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video is incapable of showing what was going on up there.

But, if you don't believe Lakpa, why in hell would you believe me?

@L_JE

Not to get off topic, but in the pictures in the OP, is that ice on the mountain face next to and above the climbers?  If yes, does it form because the Sun partially melts the snow and it refreezes?

Lastly, if it is ice, could you climb that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Police departments been saying that for years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
nothing u can do.  hes as good as dead
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I don’t know a lot about high altitude mountaineering, but I imagine there’s more than a little of “you got yourself into this, you’re going to have to get yourself out”.

Realistically, what can be done?  

Sounds harsh, I know, but at 7,000 meters plus elevation, rescuers turn into victims very easily.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I haven't climbed anything like K2, but everyone knows there is no "rescuing" from mountains like that.  Lots of bodies on those big mountains.  And they're going to stay there forever.
View Quote

That’s my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is the absolute truth. Additionally,  it sounds like his gear was crap and people were telling him it's a bad idea for specifically YOU to go from here to there today. There are multiple accounts from other climbs where it's said that if you stop for more than a couple of minutes on that mountain, you die. All of that said, it's my goal to do a Basecamp 1 trip someday. I would not go further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you’re up that high, you are on your own. If something happens, it doesn’t matter if someone is 5 feet away-might as well be 5 light years.

If you have a problem and you end up in distress, it is up to you to get back down. if you can’t, you’re going to die. If someone tries to help you they will most likely die too.

You’re alone up there. You accepted that risk.

This is the absolute truth. Additionally,  it sounds like his gear was crap and people were telling him it's a bad idea for specifically YOU to go from here to there today. There are multiple accounts from other climbs where it's said that if you stop for more than a couple of minutes on that mountain, you die. All of that said, it's my goal to do a Basecamp 1 trip someday. I would not go further.

+1. Just seeing that mountain from Basecamp 1 would be incredible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

that mountain is littered with the dehydrated-frozen corpses that people have to walk around.
every single person on that mountain knows they are possibly going to die on it and there is very little anyone else can do.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
That sucks but what could  have been done for him?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
There are conflicting stories about what happened. One is, he was assigned, along with sherpa's from other teams, to help set up ropes along the path to be used that morning by the multiple teams that would start the climb in a few hours. While doing the path prep he fell and was upside down for an hour being held by a rope, and his face mask cracked. There are more conflicting stories about what happened next. The most complete is this one, but it seems to be saying he was not part of trail prep.

https://kristinharila.com/what-happened-on-k2-27-07-2023/
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I cant barely handle the altitude at Pikes Peak
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I am far from an expert, but what gets me is the egos and narcissism of the whole summiting community. The amount of crowing "I did it!!!", when in reality it is guys like the one who died here who do most of the heavy lifting and take most of the risks, so the paying customer can get there first and shout "I did it!!!"
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Let me guess, the guy that made the video didn't get to set a record so he is pissed at the ulgy chick that did.  BOO HOO

When you are that high up, you either keep climbing, turn back, or DIE.  WTF were they going to do for him.  Where he was located its not like they could all stand around him and watch him die.  

What about any of the other Sherpas?  Did they help?

EVERYTHING IS RACIST
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's another K2 event. Guy videos a person falling to their death, and then keeps climbing.

This situation is probably more cut-and-dry, because we can be 99.9% sure the victim is dead (after he ends up on some glacier thousands of feet below).... but still... WWYD?

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I always love the criticism of armchair climbers who have never even been above 3000m or set foot on a mountain. K2 is about as deadly as it gets and sitting to help a guy who has been dying around 8000m for hours in one of the most dangerous spots on K2 just adds to the time you spend dying and increases your chances of being killed. Not saying its right or fair but its life in the mountains on 8000m peaks. Even helping someone down in that area is incredibly dangerous as one slip near the Bottleneck and you are fucked along with anyone you hit as you fall for the rest of your life. I would wager that 90% of the clients barely have the strength and stamina to get themselves to the top and back let alone put out any extra exertion helping someone else.

As for "this wouldn't happen in the Alps" that guy is 100% correct but the alps are 4800m at the tallest so they could just fly a helicopter and pick the guy up from any of the densely populated mountain towns that surround the Alps on all sides....that is an apples to elephants comparison to the 7000-8000m peaks in the remote areas of the Karakoram range.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Came to post that I’m sad for the loss of life.

And once again marvel at the GD edgelords that are classless douchebags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let me guess, the guy that made the video didn't get to set a record so he is pissed at the ulgy chick that did.  BOO HOO

When you are that high up, you either keep climbing, turn back, or DIE.  WTF were they going to do for him.  Where he was located its not like they could all stand around him and watch him die.  

What about any of the other Sherpas?  Did they help?

EVERYTHING IS RACIST
View Quote

"I'm the first woman from the County Cork to climb the mountain wearing a purple Barney suit". The mountain has already been climbed at least once. Fuck your stupid 'record'.....

There are 2 types of climbers those mountains - those who climb for the personal challenge, and those who feel the need to set 'records'.

Actually 3 types, because there's also the type that climb it for a living (e.g. Sherpas). But those guys are doing it for a lot more than just the money... in the Sherpa community, there's a lot of prestige that comes with being a high-altitude climber.  For every Sherpa climbing above 8000 meters, there's probably 100 more vying for his spot.    Sherpas will bust their asses to help their own if they can - but if they can't (as in this case, apparently), it's back to business....

One thing to point out:  K2 is in Pakistan. Sherpas are from Nepal. So the guy would have been part of the climbing team (and yeah it's common for Sherpas to climb in Pakistan and other parts of the world), but not really a part of the local community.  Then again, K2 is in the middle of nowhere, and there's no real 'local community' anyways.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#21]
They just finished hiking the 14 highest peaks in the world and they can't celebrate because some dude that wasn't with them, and they wouldn't have been able to help, was injured on the trail a quarter mile before they reached the last summit?

Fuck that. It's sad the guy died, but they should be able to enjoy their personal accomplishments.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#22]
How long did he live and how long would a rescue have taken given every resource available?

Death was inevitable, everyone knew the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I always love the criticism of armchair climbers who have never even been above 3000m or set foot on a mountain. K2 is about as deadly as it gets and sitting to help a guy who has been dying around 8000m for hours in one of the most dangerous spots on K2 just adds to the time you spend dying and increases your chances of being killed. Not saying its right or fair but its life in the mountains on 8000m peaks. Even helping someone down in that area is incredibly dangerous as one slip near the Bottleneck and you are fucked along with anyone you hit as you fall for the rest of your life. I would wager that 90% of the clients barely have the strength and stamina to get themselves to the top and back let alone put out any extra exertion helping someone else.

As for "this wouldn't happen in the Alps" that guy is 100% correct but the alps are 4800m at the tallest so they could just fly a helicopter and pick the guy up from any of the densely populated mountain towns that surround the Alps on all sides....that is an apples to elephants comparison to the 7000-8000m peaks in the remote areas of the Karakoram range.
View Quote

truth in every word.
your words are strong.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That’s my understanding as well.
View Quote

Yeah, my dad was really into it for a long time. He has climbed all of the tallest peaks in the Americas. I have dabbled but it is not for me. It is my understanding that K2 is not as tall as Everest, but it is a lot more technical of a climb and a lot more difficult.

And when you climb Everest, the entire climb is littered with bodies. You are literally walking next to decades/years/months/days old bodies.

TRUE HORROR: The Rainbow Valley of MEATSUITS on Everest
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Can you fill a parachute or wing suit and dump him off the side?   Automated safe landing?

Why not have the c-130 / balloon rig for line snatching off the death zone?  

Fuck all that,   That picture of the dawn above the clouds is all I need.

I’ve seen the documentary Mr Deeds and also the Eiger Sanction.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#26]
There's extensive video documentation of an american climber being left on everest and dying of exhaustion and hypoxia over the course of a couple hours while people walked right past her.  
Nobody complained about that, but she was a rich American so no big loss.

Also why didn't the whiny fucks who were flying the drone taking video of the guy dying go help him?  Throwing stones in your glass house and all....

Everybody loves freedom until they realize that means nobody owes you anything.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought that was common practice and everyone understood that once you start up the mountain, it's ever man for himself.

"Nobody left behind!" doesn't apply when mountaineering these peaks.
View Quote

It ain't your average fourteener in RMNP, that's fer dam sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, it's not that simple.  If 'dozens' of people walked past him, why are they trying to lay it on thed one woman who was setting a record and has credible descriptions of actions her team did take?  It's awful for the family of the climber but a lot of this smacks of opportunistic, holier-than-thou trash from people who would  never be in the position to make such a decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sherpas are easily replaceable, therefore they do everything they can to keep their jobs. I’m not going to judge leaving wounded on K2. It’s terrible what happened. Also, the people summiting those mountains may only have one chance. The risk is all priced in. Would I call off the climb? I don’t know. There are several factors to take into consideration.

Yes, it's not that simple.  If 'dozens' of people walked past him, why are they trying to lay it on thed one woman who was setting a record and has credible descriptions of actions her team did take?  It's awful for the family of the climber but a lot of this smacks of opportunistic, holier-than-thou trash from people who would  never be in the position to make such a decision.

Did the guys running the drone try to call or alert anyone to get a rescue going?  Or would that have fucked with them getting their footage?

Climbers above 8000 meters step over each other when one of them is dying.  They'll do it to a Sherpa too, especially on a mountain as utterly dangerous as K2.  

Here's a video from a guy in that "Bottleneck" mentioned in the article.
K2 "Bottleneck" 8350 meters
 That big hunk of blue-ish ice at the start of the video?  It  sheds giant pieces.  All of the time.  If you're under it when it does, you die.  Either immediately, or because your ass is stuck in the Death Zone because the ice swept away all of the ropes you needed to get to and through that point.

Everyone knows ahead of time the rules and ethics when climbing these mountains.  Even the douchebags using a snuff film to make a name for themselves.  Especially on a "You really need to know what the fuck you're doing", mountain like K2.  (Or Annapurna, etc...)

It's sad.  It's not an set of ethics I'd adopt.  But I'm not an alpinist, climbing in areas that can't support human life for more than a day or two.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, that's crazy, I bet Sherpas don't regularly step over the dead bodies of non Sherpas up there.

View Quote

I'm taking notes, because this is how you do sarcasm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Climbing is dangerous.

I'm sure the only difference between her passing over him, and other bodies she had to pass to get there, is he was still alive when she passed him, but knew he was going to end up just like the other bodies of those that died up there that can't be retrieved.

I don't understand why someone would want to voluntarily do a climb with a 20% death rate of participants, but I like living.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has nothing to do with being an edge lord and everything to do with reality.  There are literally dozens of videos showing bodies on the mountain.  It’s very well understood that there is no rescue.  I know it goes against the morales of people who believe in miracles but let’s be honest in that situation nothing can be done.  The reason this is even a story is because the person is in a spot that has to be stepped over.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can you fill a parachute or wing suit and dump him off the side?   Automated safe landing?

Why not have the c-130 / balloon rig for line snatching off the death zone?  

Fuck all that,   That picture of the dawn above the clouds is all I need.

I’ve seen the documentary Mr Deeds and also the Eiger Sanction.

View Quote

First Descent of K2 on Skis: Andrzej Bargiel | Nat Geo's 2019 Adventurer of the Year

Experience the world's first ski descent of K2 with Andrzej Bargiel
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Video cannot provide context. Wait until you learn about all the bodies on Everest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1in 5 people die climbing K2. This isn’t an isolated incident or something that is abnormal. At some point, with that risk, people’s mindset change towards death.

There wasn’t a chance to save the guy. It’s not a western vs eastern race thing. It’s not callousness. It’s climbing.
View Quote

Correct. Plenty of westerners have left other westerners to die in the mountains.

Nothing could have been done to save that guy. Sure the rest of the climbers could have abandoned their summit attempt and gone back down to mourn and be sad but that wouldn’t bring the guy back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I haven't climbed anything like K2, but everyone knows there is no "rescuing" from mountains like that.  Lots of bodies on those big mountains.  And they're going to stay there forever.
View Quote

The climbers are half dead themselves. You stop to help you expend oxygen and energy needed to keep yourself alive
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here's another K2 event. Guy videos a person falling to their death, and then keeps climbing.

This situation is probably more cut-and-dry, because we can be 99.9% sure the victim is dead (after he ends up on some glacier thousands of feet below).... but still... WWYD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIzNS0ZCW0
View Quote

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of comments about being "on your own".  That's total bullshit if there is a Sherpa there.  The climbers are clearly using support staff for... support.  The stupid ass record you are smiling about means absolutely zero.  A man died for that you filthy souled bitch.

O2 aside there is room to slid someone on that path, hell they created a platform for him to be out of their way and there is a rope to hold onto.  They were more worried about making the summit.  Its disgusting.  Perhaps for their next trick they should build a submarine out of legos and go visit the Titanic.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#39]
And THAT'S  why I'm waiting for them to install an escalator!

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Fuck all that, I'll take my chances swimming with sharks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lots of comments about being "on your own".  That's total bullshit if there is a Sherpa there.  The climbers are clearly using support staff for... support.  The stupid ass record you are smiling about means absolutely zero.  A man died for that you filthy souled bitch.
View Quote

Cool.  The climbers---and their multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in climbing fees, logistics expenses (including porter and Sherpa salaries)----can all stay home then, and that chunk of Nepal can go back to herding yaks and burning yak shit to stay warm.

Doubt they'd agree to that deal.

Oh and, "Welcome, fellow firearms enthusiast."
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can’t think of a more narcissistic group of people. They do something pointless that may be impressive if they didn’t have to hire help
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I thought that stuff is a known risk and folks are not going to attempt a rescue.
View Quote

It is for everybody on the mountain.

But apparently not for armchair quarterbacks sitting in AC comfort in America who are fooled by the clowns who were flying a drone around the mountain and cried foul when they saw something they didn't like.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

O2 aside there is room to slid someone on that path, hell they created a platform for him to be out of their way and there is a rope to hold onto.  They were more worried about making the summit.  Its disgusting.  Perhaps for their next trick they should build a submarine out of legos and go visit the Titanic.
View Quote

Lol. “Slid someone on that path”
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The socialist liberals have trained their General Discussion well.

I would have gone with "they're all white men exploiting the native population" rather than the rich vs. poor argument.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#46]
All the “somebody should’ve done something” posters here are the same kind of people that see videos of armed criminals being shot and say “why didn’t they shoot him in the leg” or “just shoot the knife out of his hand”
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cool.  The climbers---and their multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in climbing fees, logistics expenses (including porter and Sherpa salaries)----can all stay home then, and that chunk of Nepal can go back to herding yaks and burning yak shit to stay warm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K2 isn't in Nepal. It's in Pakistan.  The mountaineering scene is very different in the K2 area - it's in the middle of a huge maze of glacier valleys where there are no nearby villages, and no heavily trafficked trekking routes to speak of.

The Sherpa 'scene' on  K2 is also different from Everest. There's not as much of a hierarchy on the mountain - there are the local porters who haul the stuff to base camp, and then there are the people who climb the mountain. The various expeditions are somewhat competing for resources (mainly space in the high camps) but also work together toward a common goal of fixing miles of rope.    But they're not doing that just to get the rich clients up the mountain - they're doing it so that some guy doesn't fall to his death when he's carrying extra O2 bottles from C2 to C3 or whatever.

In short, I'd say that a higher percentage of people on K2 'belong there' (as compared to Everest), and are all well aware of the risks involved.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chuckled myself.

Having said that, every hiker/climber knows the most dangerous part of the experience is the descent. I can only imagine the risk of attempting to bring someone down at that elevation and on Earth’s most deadliest mountain given the extremely narrow path that they had.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's your opinion on homemade submarines?

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#50]

People on here sometimes You go down up high on K2 you aren't coming down and you don't expect other people to risk their lives in a futile effort to rescue you.

K2 has something like a 20-25% death rate. You aren't getting people off that high up. Its significantly more technical and challenging than Everest.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top