I'd start with asking his screen name
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where to even start on this one?
I'd start with asking his screen name

Was mindlessly scrolling past when I had to pull this little nugget back down and laugh my ass off.

That being said, just what is his screen name here?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was mindlessly scrolling past when I had to pull this little nugget back down and laugh my ass off.

That being said, just what is his screen name here?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Constable Bob Sweeney : Errol's a big guy. What if he don't listen to me?

Raylan Givens : Well, you got a badge and a set of balls, don't you? There you go... use those.

Constable Bob Sweeney : Hell yeah, I got a badge. And I got balls like Death Stars. Let's do this!
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's an elected law enforcement position here in TN. I'm one. I suspect it's the same in KY. I retired with 25 years of federal law enforcement experience and ran for the position to assist my local SO with issues on my mountain (they run solo alot). The position has been disbanded in many parts of TN by the County Commissioners. A state judge can remove one for misconduct pretty easily. The position, while probably good at some point in history, is fraught with land mines for a county that has them. Lack of appropriate 4th amendment training being at the top of the list.

I do ride a longs with my SO and they have expressed their appreciation for my help. I tread lightly. Speaking Spanish doesn't hurt either

Constables with big heads can get themselves in a legal pickle in a hurry. TN has passed legislation in the last 5 years making the training requirement much more extensive. A lot more needs to be done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there's that...

What exactly is a constable?  The Google definition creates more questions than answers.

It's an elected law enforcement position here in TN. I'm one. I suspect it's the same in KY. I retired with 25 years of federal law enforcement experience and ran for the position to assist my local SO with issues on my mountain (they run solo alot). The position has been disbanded in many parts of TN by the County Commissioners. A state judge can remove one for misconduct pretty easily. The position, while probably good at some point in history, is fraught with land mines for a county that has them. Lack of appropriate 4th amendment training being at the top of the list.

I do ride a longs with my SO and they have expressed their appreciation for my help. I tread lightly. Speaking Spanish doesn't hurt either

Constables with big heads can get themselves in a legal pickle in a hurry. TN has passed legislation in the last 5 years making the training requirement much more extensive. A lot more needs to be done.

Many moons ago, KY constables reported to the magistrates. They changed the duties of the magistrates many years back but forgot to do anything about the constables. For a few years, the constables didn't report to anyone. That got fixed and the big draw pre-CCDW was legally carrying a concealed pistol. After CCDW, it became a position for two types of people: 1.) some guy who wanted to carry a badge and play police every now and again, and 2.) some guy who wanted to keep the guy who wanted to do #1 from getting elected (). I know at least three guys who did the later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I was born and raised on the Ky/Tn line in middle Tenn. Some people lobby hard during election time for the constable and jailer positions. Why? I have no idea.
Going over into Tompkinsville, Ky and seeing the constables there was a big head scratcher. They were nearly always the goofiest fuckers you could imagine. I would lay a dollar to a dime they were picked on relentlessly as teens and wanted payback but couldn't get accepted as county deputies.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Do we FOIA his wife for the dashcam footage?

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Many moons ago, KY constables reported to the magistrates. They changed the duties of the magistrates many years back but forgot to do anything about the constables. For a few years, the constables didn't report to anyone. That got fixed and the big draw pre-CCDW was legally carrying a concealed pistol. After CCDW, it became a position for two types of people: 1.) some guy who wanted to carry a badge and play police every now and again, and 2.) some guy who wanted to keep the guy who wanted to do #1 from getting elected (). I know at least three guys who did the later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there's that...

What exactly is a constable?  The Google definition creates more questions than answers.

Yep #1 here. I helped serve a search warrant the other morning for a Mexican national accused of raping his young step daughter. You should have seen the look on his face when I interrupted his conversation with his wife in Spanish; your wife is not under arrest, you are. She does not need an attorney, you do. She is free to talk to us if she wants. I closed the car door between them. I could tell both were shocked.

I carry now under LEOSA as a retired fed LEO. As a TN Constable, I am also authorized to carry a firearm. I like that. That works for me.

As a TN Constable, I answer to no one, it states that in the statute. It’s a perfect position for a retired guy like me that still enjoys helping the popo out if they need backup. They need back up a lot.

There are a lot of people that have no business in law enforcement. The Constable position is no exception.

If the position goes away for me in my county, it’s not that big of a loss.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I want this job
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Texas they're sworn LEO, which makes no sense to me.

I see them out on I-45 running traffic like a DPS trooper.

Most of them have giant mountain man beards and head to toe in mismatched 5.11 shit. It looks unprofessional as fuck and shouldn't be a thing IMO.
View Quote

Depending on where you are they are the primary law enforcement. harris county specifically has (I believe) two precincts where they are THE cops, other places they supplement the SO and local PDs, they also have arrest powers, detectives, the whole deal like "real" cops

No, I'm not one before someone asks
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the constable in Justified. He was a fun character.
View Quote

It's Kentucky bro.

It's not a joke it's legit.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I think they still have constables across the river in Vermont and seem to remember reading in the paper or online about this sort of thing happening with them from time to time. Maybe someone who lives in Vermont and knows the details can jump in the thread.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want this job
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ha! that was my favorite scene in the movie Bad Boys 2. The vehicle in question was a Porsche.

"Uh, Captain can I get a reimbursement on..."

"No!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few years ago, the assistant chief of a Podunk got involved in a pursuit while in his personal vehicle. The assistant chief's and suspect vehicles collided several times, resulting in lots of damage to the chief's vehicle. He later asked the council to pay for the damage, which they refused, and rightfully so.

Ha! that was my favorite scene in the movie Bad Boys 2. The vehicle in question was a Porsche.

"No!"

Ferrari 550
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Men do so at their peril.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sheriffs in FL do that

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:. Again on Justified it was said that they were kinda like process servers. Delivering legal documents, serving notifications that kinda thing.

The Texas rangers do that in TX.
Sheriffs in FL do that

Sheriffs and constables in TX, never heard of rangers serving papers that weren't search or arrest warrants
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Florida State.... Real Men of Genius

A Real Man of Genius
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's Kentucky bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds me of the constable in Justified. He was a fun character.

It's Kentucky bro.

The one part of that character that seemed a bit off.

At the start of the season he is bragging about his... equipment and he mentions an AK-47. I thought, "well might as well call this guy Constable Chekhov."

I was expecting it to be Hungarian. Perhaps a milled Chinese. One might stumble upon all manner of AK variants in Kentucky. When it appears it's an AKSU-74 firing on full auto only.

Typing this out I'm thinking that it was either a Hollywood choice. Or perhaps an... Inside joke?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My man had to get it on!

Constables are bonafide po-po in Texas as far as I’m aware. Could be wrong though.
View Quote

You are not wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do the railroad police hand out tickets to speeding trains?
Or seatbelt violations?
https://trainfanatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/police-train.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. We don't have townships, constable zones, etc.... we have city cops, county sheriff's offices, and state agencies. About the only specialized agencies that are odd is the railroad police. But they hold regular FL LE certs.

Or seatbelt violations?
RR Police patrol and investigate crimes in RR property. Some kid busts a track, the RR PD handle that. Suicide on the track, RR PD. Theft of cargo, RR PD. Train hits a stalled car, RR PD.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
There aren't any Constables here in Memphis (Shelby County) TN, but I think there are some in TN some places.

In MS there are (like two for each county or something). But like every other Law Enforcement Officer/Agent/etc., they have to get P.O.S.T. (Academy) certified. I think they have a year to attend and pass an LE academy. One of the counties in North MS I heard went through a couple of elected Constables pretty quick because they thought they could get elected into an LE position and not have to go through all that pesky training. But maybe they can still serve as Process Servers and just not have Police Powers if they don't get certified (of course I doubt they would be re-elected).
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ferrari 550
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few years ago, the assistant chief of a Podunk got involved in a pursuit while in his personal vehicle. The assistant chief's and suspect vehicles collided several times, resulting in lots of damage to the chief's vehicle. He later asked the council to pay for the damage, which they refused, and rightfully so.

"No!"

Ferrari 550

$21,000 worth of damage.

Bad Boys II - Funny Captain Scene
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
RR Police patrol and investigate crimes in RR property. Some kid busts a track, the RR PD handle that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:. We don't have townships, constable zones, etc.... we have city cops, county sheriff's offices, and state agencies. About the only specialized agencies that are odd is the railroad police. But they hold regular FL LE certs.

Or seatbelt violations?
RR Police patrol and investigate crimes in RR property. Some kid busts a track, the RR PD handle that.

RR Police we work with in Memphis are good dudes that were Cops previously most of the time. They do some dangerous shit by themselves staking out their train cars and trying to arrest multiple thieves by themselves. One told me he was Academy certified in AR and has Police Powers in MS and TN if his companies tracks go into the other two states. Not sure I got that right as it was confusing. RR Police have the same structure as Fed Ex Police (here in Memphis) I was told. RR and Fed Ex have sent their Officers through our (Memphis Police Academy) lateral classes before.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the ATF recognize constables as law enforcement? Could be interesting if they could qualify for LE only weapons/machineguns.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Leave this to the professional jack booted thugs
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Constable Doofy checking in..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a constable in PA. I'm in it for the LEOSA and a couple bucks on the side.

The amount of asshole wannabe cops in this gig is absolutely ridiculous. I generally don't admit to being one in polite company.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does the ATF recognize constables as law enforcement? Could be interesting if they could qualify for LE only weapons/machineguns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the state, yes.

If you're in PA, you're the chief constable of your own department. In theory you can transfer to yourself on your own law letter.

I've heard of it being done but haven't tried it. I've got a couple cheap cans down at the shop I may try to transfer just for rhe shirs and grins and see if it works.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#31]
In a very rural area of TX. Constable is most often tasked with getting cattle off the road and similar things here. Stopping traffic if a storm blows down a lot of trees. Lot of stuff like that. The also will write a speeding ticket if you are really hauling ass well above the 75mph speed limit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Fucking Constables. Most useless political office ever. They quite literally do nothing in most places except work security jobs and suck up tax dollars.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It isn't ATF who recognizes who is and isn't an agency. That's up to the state.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over here on this side of the river, some people claim it's the main perk of the job.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm really just here to make sure nobody was underestimating Bob but I see that's well covered.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Kentucky’s own Jeremy Dewitte!
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Our local constable tried to pull me over about 15 yrs ago for “running a red light” when I went under it while yellow.  He cam through the light after me in a old brown accord/civic.  Came up beside me while driving telling me to pull over.  We got stopped beside each other at another light and I could see he was old man in a beret.  He continued to tell me he had the right to pull me over as I was driving recklessly and endangering other motorists.

I asked him if he could touch his dick to his asshole.  He yelled back that’s “yes he could” and I told him great … go fuck yourself and drove off.  He followed me about a mile and then turned off.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top