Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IDNR denied them for a long time despite a few getting hit by cars and numerous game cam sightings. Now they do admit their existence here but claim they’re just passing through. About ten years ago I heard a female in heat crying out for a mate while outside one evening. That to me says we probably have a breeding population.

Sounded just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2Sw8dsMDQ

Southern Illinois is a perfect habitat for them. Lots of big woods and white tail are like cockroaches here.
View Quote
I don’t know KY’s position on them but enough people have seen them to know they’re around. There are at least a few in LBL / Grand Rivers area.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looked it up so I might as well post it. Confirmed sightings, tracks, dna, etc from the Cougar Network. Obviously not definitive but still interesting.

They have a more recent interactive map on their site. cougarnet.org/confirmations

https://i.imgur.com/SEUHVBJh.jpg
View Quote
We have had multiple confirmed game cam sightings as well as a few hit by cars all within 100 miles of me. There is absolutely no doubt they are in Southern Illinois so it is not hard to imagine they have made their way into Kentucky.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, we need an Arfcom hunt!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, we need an Arfcom hunt!
View Quote
The scooters are loud and would chase away the Cougars. Same effect rascal scooters have on all pussy actually.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cover story.  Keep your eyes open for dudes wearing this patch.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/download-659852.JPG
View Quote
I have that book on my bookshelf right now but haven't read it yet
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just googled it.

If you can find footage where a mountain lion takes a elk from going under it and going for it's throat I would like to see it.
They will drag them by the throat or make a killing bite on it after it's down but they won't start the attack on the throat.

Cats won't go under a big animal like that  and face injury , they don't have to. They are killing machines from the top .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google mountain lion goes for throat.

Multiple reports of lions killing horses via their throat and ripping it's throat out.

Also videos of lions ripping elk and deer throat out.
I just googled it.

If you can find footage where a mountain lion takes a elk from going under it and going for it's throat I would like to see it.
They will drag them by the throat or make a killing bite on it after it's down but they won't start the attack on the throat.

Cats won't go under a big animal like that  and face injury , they don't have to. They are killing machines from the top .
Lemme get to WiFi and I'll post some tonight. Out and about right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don’t know KY’s position on them but enough people have seen them to know they’re around. There are at least a few in LBL / Grand Rivers area.
View Quote
There’s more than a lion or two in Land between the Lakes...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just googled it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google mountain lion goes for throat.

Multiple reports of lions killing horses via their throat and ripping it's throat out.

Also videos of lions ripping elk and deer throat out.
I just googled it.

First, there's google, then there's reality and experience.

Second; Not trying to be mean, but whenever somebody makes a categorical statement like yours it just demonstrates they are lacking information on the subject...

Third, lion will take the shot that is presented.  Some generalizations can be made, but by no means can one say this or that won't happen.

Fourth, lion will eat from various parts of the body, usually starting with the soft parts.  The throat is...soft and after the attack it can be almost impossible to determine exactly what was attacked first.

And for your viewing enjoyment...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3307241/Cool-cat-Amazing-footage-shows-ruthless-mountain-lion-calmly-holding-buck-throat-TEN-MINUTES-eventually-gives-lays-die.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jersey Devil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bigfoot or werewolf. No doubt.
Jersey Devil.
Mr. Leeds doesn't leave the Pine Barrens of NJ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My buddy got mauled by a cougar.

His first mistake was, he let her buy him a shot and a beer. It degenerated from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cougar

His first mistake was, he let her buy him a shot and a beer. It degenerated from there.
That’s funny stuff
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jersey Devil.
I escaped in '81, but I understand he is losing habitat.

Could prompt a relocation?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Second; Not trying to be mean, but whenever somebody makes a categorical statement like yours it just demonstrates they are lacking information on the subject...

Third, lion will take the shot that is presented.  Some generalizations can be made, but by no means can one say this or that won't happen.

Fourth, lion will eat from various parts of the body, usually starting with the soft parts.  The throat is...soft and after the attack it can be almost impossible to determine exactly what was attacked first.

https://s5.postimg.cc/r80y63tkn/maxresdefault.jpg

But none  of that happened here. This was a killing spree not a fight for food.  What ever did this  killing wasn't feeding . And actually in that footage the filming starts when he notices the fight.
Why that cat landed on the ground we don't know.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3307241/Cool-cat-Amazing-footage-shows-ruthless-mountain-lion-calmly-holding-buck-throat-TEN-MINUTES-eventually-gives-lays-die.html
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jersey Devil.

Just a little, but one can still get lost in there
I have had an acquaintance with a Leeds for a few years ( beekeeping ),  quite a humble and intelligent individual.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
No state wants to admit that they have a permanent mountain lion population.  If they do then a whole lot of expensive federal regulations come into play.  So they are always passing through.  Way back in 2004. while driving up I 76 in southern Kentucky we saw a road kill mountain lion on the side of the interstate.  It had a tracking collar on it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If they are having trouble identifying the killer critter then they need to get this guy to examine the bite radius.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Dogman
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No state wants to admit that they have a permanent mountain lion population.  If they do then a whole lot of expensive federal regulations come into play.  So they are always passing through.  Way back in 2004. while driving up I 76 in southern Kentucky we saw a road kill mountain lion on the side of the interstate.  It had a tracking collar on it too.
View Quote
I don't understand why.  It is not uncommon to see video of mountain lions on Colorado newscasts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dogman
View Quote
You know something ...what is it

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of them here and the season is generally open year round, the department of wildlife will close the season in a management unit if the desired quota is met. I don't know if any quota has ever been met in any management unit. There may be a unit or two and the Nevada test site with no open season but they are the exceptions not the rule. The department may hire trappers in some units where the abundance of lions threaten certain prey species populations. You can buy two tags over the counter and I have a tag in my pocket right now just in case it's needed. Obviously there is no shortage of lions, just a shortage of hunters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't understand why.  It is not uncommon to see video of mountain lions on Colorado newscasts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GREAT QUESTION!!

Because in areas where a species used to exist but doesn't any longer, provisions within the Endangered Species Act are triggered if said species naturally re-enters void range.  Those provisions can be sweeping;  cessation of logging and other natural resource management, banning the construction of roads, stoppage of hunting other species considered necessary for Endangered Species survival, etc.

The ESA truly needs to be scrapped and a new more reasonable act introduced.  The West has seen horrific impact by application of ESA provisions.

Remember, the enviros no longer care about clean air and water.  They care about the destruction of rural economies, gun control and policy like Y2Y.

From years I assisted in policy advisory work for local government.

"Environmentalism" has become heavy industry.  BIG bucks to the law firms and the so-called environmental outfits like "Defenders of Wildlife" and Center for biological diversity.  These rackets need to be investigated for a variety of nefarious endeavors involving pay to play lobbying, etc.

I was a political science, history and environmental science student in the early '80's.  I was all about the environment and...I still am.  I own a ranch I turned at great effort from a mismanaged noxious weed farm to a garden of Eden and have put my energy, time, life and money where my mouth is.  We need to rid the country of the Heavy Industry of  fraudulent "Environmentalist" groups masquerading as saviors of the world.  They are the destroyers of legitimate industry and rural economies.

Sorry for the rant, OP..........
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
View Quote
You’d be surprised.

When I worked in an lgs, everyone had a story about running into a mountain lion. One guy even had a video of one.

When we plugged it in to our video system, it was very clearly a house cat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mountain lion isn't gonna take on a horse..............is it?
View Quote
Why would it not?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is a field mouse?

Game species.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
In most states it is illegal to kill a none game species unless you can say it was posing a direct threat. A guy in NYS claimed to have shot a Mt. Lion and buried it with his backhoe. The DEC investigated and quickly realized he was full of shit when they told him they would bring in their own equipment to dig it up. The DEC told him had you shot it you would have been arrested as it is not a game species in the state of NY.
So what is a coyote, groundhog, etc?
What is a field mouse?

Game species.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw a dead one on the side of hyw 52 outside King, NC...

I wanted to pull over and get a picture, but I had the sudden realization “what if it’s not fully dead, just stunned?”

I had an 870 in trunk, but the sight of a guy walking down the hyw with a shotgun seemed equally bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s5.postimg.cc/r80y63tkn/maxresdefault.jpg

But none  of that happened here. This was a killing spree not a fight for food.  What ever did this  killing wasn't feeding . And actually in that footage the filming starts when he notices the fight.
Why that cat landed on the ground we don't know.

What I'm saying is that lion do NOT have a set program of exactly how they attack game.  They take it as they can, and by the throat is just fine.

And...

https://giphy.com/gifs/lion-mountain-attacks-Q1lOmKQiGAjuM

And the Band Played On...

And we can on and on.  I'm not sure what your source was for saying lion don't attack by the throat, but it isn't a reliable source.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Well about 10-12 years ago there was a non conus native feline that was shot trying to get into someone's house in the mid west.
There was also that motherfucker in Ohio that let loose the private cat prison he had.  Lions, tigers, leopards galore, not sure if he was releasing them prior to offing himself but there have been reports of African lions roaming loose in the Midwest.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
what round for kitteh?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
View Quote
No they do not.  Same issue here despite several reports.  Even if they “find” one it’s a “escaped pet”
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That’s funny stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cougar

That’s funny stuff
Authorities advise you to slouch, mumble, and avoid eye contact.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
a few years ago a big cat  fucked up two of my dogs, one of the a 120 pound siberian husky. luckily my neighbor and good friend a veterinarian  was home and we got them to his office fast enough to save her.

at first we though some one shot them with 00 buck or something.   It was a mess,  then Xray showed nothing inside,  after he got the bleeding stopped and we cleaned her up, we could see the huge claw marks and tears

We though maybe it was a bobcat.  then a month later I was letting a friend hunt turkey behind the house, and he was working the thing when he looked down the hill behind him and saw the cat and about shit himself.  it was a mountain lion he said. and he wouldnt bullshit, he is a very experienced hunter and outdoorsman,  probably the best I have ever known.  He said it was so big   he was afraid to risk shooting it with turkey loads.

that and a bear tearing the hell out of one of our outbuildings we  use to keep a deep freezer with meat in it. I do not go into the woods or around the house without at the least  my 45, and if I am hunting squirrel or something that Im not carring a center fire rifle for, I am carrying a colt delta 10mm with hard cast bullets +P
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This pussy will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
View Quote
Momma teaching her babies to kill most likely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
View Quote
TWRA was finally forced to acknowledge they were around here a few years ago because of numerous game camera pictures.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is no Sasquatch

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This story has a squatchy feel to it. Did they find any half rotted llama skulls nearby?
This is no Sasquatch

You keep alluding to something. Come out with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You Kentuckians haven’t killed this thing yet?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well I guess now we know who wins.
View Quote
I have never had doubts in my mind as to what a cougar can do to a (single) dog.... ANY dog.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
View Quote
Or Katahdin . . .
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
No it is not as a normal part of its diet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#40]
This is just 2 counties west of me. I've actually have a friend whose boss owns some property there who wants us to coyote hunt it this fall. I suddenly feel the need for a Glock 40 mos woods pistol now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
^^^This is what I was thinking as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whompus cat.

They are all over this part of the country........
^^^This is what I was thinking as well
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This story has a squatchy feel to it. Did they find any half rotted llama skulls nearby?
This is no Sasquatch

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#43]
According to Game Fish and Parks here, a  Mountain Lion's favorite food is porcupine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not sure about KY Fish and Game but TWRA has acknowledged sightings of them as far as Middle Tennessee.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they ranged north a bit.  There are plenty of credible reports of sightings as far east as GSMNP but so far no pictures that I know of.
View Quote
I know people that have seen them in the North and South Cherokee National Forests going back a few decades.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am of the belief that they prey on mustangs whenever they can, especially foals. I had a close encounter with a lion that was about 12 feet directly above me, when we stumbled onto it's kill, a full grown horse. Some gravel cascaded down and when I looked up I was looking into it's face, that's when it growled. If I had been hunting alone that day I might not be here today.

I have worked with someone that was involved in a mountain lion study. He said when they started he used to carry a handgun but as time went on he no longer considered them dangerous. I have great respect for that individual and his opinions. I have only ever seen a handful and I am sure over the years a great many have seen me as I hiked around the mountains, still that one experience has convinced me that they can be dangerous and I always carry a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you have a good team of dogs then you can get shots within 10-20 feet.  A .22 lr to the brain pan at that range would probably take care of the cat, although I'd probably go a little bigger myself.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUJfYDKt3A
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhere around here I've got an old book in which Elmer Keith talks about preferring to use .22lr for cougar, hunting with dogs anyway.
If you have a good team of dogs then you can get shots within 10-20 feet.  A .22 lr to the brain pan at that range would probably take care of the cat, although I'd probably go a little bigger myself.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUJfYDKt3A
On the video -" go on over there , you can git closer, get on under there" to get a pic under the tree with the cat...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Whompus cat.

They are all over this part of the country........
View Quote
Yeah...I see 'em wherever I go.

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#48]
This sounds like wolf...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hate to inform you, but lion don't take much to kill.

But whatever....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
Perfect answer. Milk it for all you can.
I hate to inform you, but lion don't take much to kill.

But whatever....  
But if wifey ASKED  if you have a big enough gun to kill something, it's always a good idea to get another to ease her concerns...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top