Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Question about the design. It looks like there's just a spring loaded firing pin in the center of the cap? Is there any protection at all in the case of a pierced primer?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was that wobble present with a loaded round or headspace gage in the chamber? Some wobble even in a bolt action will be normal without a round in the chamber but is hidden by the fp tension.

When I mean thread tolerance I mean percent thread engagement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't going to comment unless someone mentioned thread tolerance.  I sold my RN50 because I never could have peace of mind with it.  The cap wobbled too much for me.  I seriously think lug nuts may have better tolerance.

Was that wobble present with a loaded round or headspace gage in the chamber? Some wobble even in a bolt action will be normal without a round in the chamber but is hidden by the fp tension.

When I mean thread tolerance I mean percent thread engagement.

As you'd imagine, there was no wobble when tightened on a loaded or empty chamber.  When you cracked it loose 1/2 turn or less, the cap is free to move around in the threads. In my mind I envisioned threads with only 3/4 of the small ends mating up.  Or maybe fully mating on one side and 1/4 on the other.

I felt sure someone must have done and redone the math on the thread area to make sure it was safe.  I just sort of felt the actual execution of the thing must have been wrong on my particular rifle, which is why I emailed Serbu about it.  Maybe tolerances stacked on my gun? He said it was fine.  I can't figure why you'd choose to have it that slack.  I wasn't so concerned that I didn't go ahead and fire it a few times. Just never felt totally confident it, plus didn't care for the optics mount.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
How Is Kentucky Ballistics ???
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
An interesting, and short video with some foreshadowing....

Kentucky Ballistics 50 Cal Injury Foreshadowed
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8t-8Ko5R_s
View Quote

oof
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Wasn't this discussed earlier in this thread?
Don't have the time at the moment to go back and check. Hopefully someone will recall.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Shirts are arriving, mine was in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay classy ARFcom

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Demolition Ballistics!  This video is amazing:

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
RN 50 Accident Preliminary Analysis

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na1Qo7FxDeM
View Quote
wow

Didn't someone earlier calculate that 160+k PSI was around what would be expected if someone loaded a .50 case with pistol powder?

I feel bad for Mark Serbu. His design is solid (more solid than most .50 BMG rifles if the bit about the safety ears being able to handle the bolt thrust on their own are true) and it's becoming increasingly clear this was caused by mystery-maker counterfeit ammo, not his rifle.

I look forward to his teardown/analysis of the blown-up rifle, as well as the videos as he attempts to blow another one up with ridiculously-hot powder charges. I expect it'll handle far more than most here have given the design credit for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wow

Didn't someone earlier calculate that 160+k PSI was around what would be expected if someone loaded a .50 case with pistol powder?

I feel bad for Mark Serbu. His design is solid (more solid than most .50 BMG rifles if the bit about the safety ears being able to handle the bolt thrust on their own are true) and it's becoming increasingly clear this was caused by mystery-maker counterfeit ammo, not his rifle.

I look forward to his teardown/analysis of the blown-up rifle, as well as the videos as he attempts to blow another one up with ridiculously-hot powder charges. I expect it'll handle far more than most here have given the design credit for.
View Quote

I think the idea of a very undercharged round is highly probable too. Showing the side-by-side photos, it does look like the SLAP rounds are more than a bit questionable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think the idea of a very undercharged round is highly probable too. Showing the side-by-side photos, it does look like the SLAP rounds are more than a bit questionable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow

I'm not really aware of what undercharged rounds do. How do they increase pressure despite having less powder?

The ammo is pretty much 100% fake. The lack of crimp and wrong sabot are pretty clear indicators.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#17]
He's both lucky and unlucky, but I'm very thankful that a tragedy was narrowly avoided here. I'm confident that I wouldn't have survived that.

Quoted:
I'm not really aware of what undercharged rounds do. How do they increase pressure despite having less powder?

The ammo is pretty much 100% fake. The lack of crimp and wrong sabot are pretty clear indicators.
View Quote

An undercharged round can cause the projectile to get stuck in the barrel because there wasn't enough pressure to push it all the way out, thereby creating a barrel obstruction. Once a fully charged round goes in and fires off, that projectile is going to slam into the stuck projectile. Nothing good ever results from that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He's both lucky and unlucky, but I'm very thankful that a tragedy was narrowly avoided here. I'm confident that I wouldn't have survived that.

An undercharged round can cause the projectile to get stuck in the barrel because there wasn't enough pressure to push it all the way out, thereby creating a barrel obstruction. Once a fully charged round goes in and fires off, that projectile is going to slam into the stuck projectile. Nothing good ever results from that.
View Quote

Agreed they are fake...

The undercharged round is different than what you are thinking. Remember he fired an API round before he fired the last SLAP round so we know there was not a barrel obstruction. The undercharged round is referring to something called the "secondary explosion effect". I have read about it before and there is a lot of information out there about it. Do some google searches and read about it for yourself. I believe that could be a very likely scenario.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

From what I understand an undercharged round could also expose more powder surface area to immediate ignition from the primer strike, causing an initial ultra high pressure spike.

Think of a 50bmg like a capped soda bottle that is full, and the primer is in the bottom. Whether you tip it over or stand it on end essentially the same surface area of soda (powder) is exposed to the midpoint of the bottom (primer).

Take that same soda bottle, empty it halfway (undercharge), put the cap back on, and lay it down 90° - look how much surface area of the soda (powder) is now exposed to where the primer would be located. When that primer ignites, a LOT more powder instantly cooks off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand an undercharged round could also expose more powder surface area to immediate ignition from the primer strike, causing an initial ultra high pressure spike.

Think of a 50bmg like a capped soda bottle that is full, and the primer is in the bottom. Whether you tip it over or stand it on end essentially the same surface area of soda (powder) is exposed to the midpoint of the bottom (primer).

Take that same soda bottle, empty it halfway (undercharge), put the cap back on, and lay it down 90° - look how much surface area of the soda (powder) is now exposed to where the primer would be located. When that primer ignites, a LOT more powder instantly cooks off.

There was a small epidemic about 20 years ago of guys massively downloading cowboy action type loads and blowing up revolvers that way. They wanted just enough velocity to get the bullet out the barrel, and no more. Both for quicker shooting and to reduce the stress on their nice, old, classic revolvers. So they would take a regular pistol powder and cut the charge in half or more. When the jet of flame shoots out from the primer over the horizontal powder stack, it ignited it all at once and boom. Nice old classic revolver is a tangled mess of twisted steel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There was a small epidemic about 20 years ago of guys massively downloading cowboy action type loads and blowing up revolvers that way. They wanted just enough velocity to get the bullet out the barrel, and no more. Both for quicker shooting and to reduce the stress on their nice, old, classic revolvers. So they would take a regular pistol powder and cut the charge in half or more. When the jet of flame shoots out from the primer over the horizontal powder stack, it ignited it all at once and boom. Nice old classic revolver is a tangled mess of twisted steel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, its a pretty well known thing in large capacity cartridges when downloaded. A lot of folks took to using polyester pillow stuffing to take up excess room and keep the powder charge against the case head to avoid it.
I haven't reloaded for a long time, but reloading manuals (at least the ones I've seen) warn of this phenomena in downloading rifle cartridges, large volume cartridges in particular.
Edit: Quick Google search found this short article on it.
Detonation Phenomena
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, its a pretty well known thing in large capacity cartridges when downloaded. A lot of folks took to using polyester pillow stuffing to take up excess room and keep the powder charge against the case head to avoid it.
I haven't reloaded for a long time, but reloading manuals (at least the ones I've seen) warn of this phenomena in downloading rifle cartridges, large volume cartridges in particular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

For rifles, Trail Boss was invented for exactly this. It takes up twice the room for a given weight. I'm not aware of an analogous pistol powder, so some guys experiment with mixing inert powder substances into the actual charge.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously that's not what happened here.  Serbu speaks of an undercharge causing a detonation which is when there is so little powder, the primer spark can ignite a large amount of powder at once causing a massive pressure spike.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For rifles, Trail Boss was invented for exactly this. It takes up twice the room for a given weight. I'm not aware of an analogous pistol powder, so some guys experiment with mixing inert powder substances into the actual charge.
View Quote

Trail Boss is a fine pistol powder.

Viht Tin Star is another bulky powder.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agreed they are fake...

The undercharged round is different than what you are thinking. Remember he fired an API round before he fired the last SLAP round so we know there was not a barrel obstruction. The undercharged round is referring to something called the "secondary explosion effect". I have read about it before and there is a lot of information out there about it. Do some google searches and read about it for yourself. I believe that could be a very likely scenario.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed they are fake...

I also agree the rounds are fake.  And if there was a barrel obstruction, surely Scott or Mark would have mentioned it by now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That did NOT happen in this incident.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IMR PB
Good for low pressure loads in pistols and shotshells.  I believe it is still made, but I haven't actually seen any in years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Edit: same page dupe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not interesting and didn’t foreshadow anything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#31]
KENTUCKY HERRERA

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gun mags beat this to death back in the 70s and 80s and could never recreate the phenomenon. It's pretty much accepted at this point that the detonations are due to double charges or worse. It has more to do with that you can't tell as easily when you've double charged a case. If somebody's ever been able to recreate the phenomenon I'd love to see some documentation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
This idiot is forever labeled, "THAT GUY".

Shooting unknown .50BMG ammo in a low end crap rifle....the video should be used in all firearms training classes moving forward.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#34]
LGS has a lightly ised RN50 for sale now...can't help wondering if the person they got it from saw this video.

$2200 with no glass.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Gun mags beat this to death back in the 70s and 80s and could never recreate the phenomenon. It's pretty much accepted at this point that the detonations are due to double charges or worse. It has more to do with that you can't tell as easily when you've double charged a case. If somebody's ever been able to recreate the phenomenon I'd love to see some documentation.
View Quote

I've seen people trumpeting the secondary explosion effect (SEE) for years but never seen any actual proof of it being reproducible. Given that it is always attributed to extra light loads of slow burning powders, I'm much more inclined to believe it is generally double charges than the elusive SEE. Fillers and fluff for stuffing cases does more for making ammo consistent than being there to fight off the SEE. Nobody suggests that SEE happens with fast powders of light volumes, which is why you don't need a filler with red dot rifle loads or whatever other mousefart loads you might make.

That said, if anything were a good environment for a SEE to occur, 50 BMG would seem to be just that.

But it's far more likely if the ammo were the culprit (as even if its counterfeit that doesnt make it defective in and of itself) it was just an inappropriate load or overcharge than SEE.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read several articles in the 90s trying to duplicate and as you say, it could not be done.

There have also been a number of online articles in the 2000s using piezoelectric transducers measuring actual pressure increases.  A couple of thousand was recorded.  Not the tens of thousands needed to blow up a gun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LGS has a lightly ised RN50 for sale now...can't help wondering if the person they got it from saw this video.

$2200 with no glass.
View Quote

Sincerely doubt it, since that's anywhere from $4-800 over what you can buy a new one directly from Serbu for if you're willing to wait until he gets to your order.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sincerely doubt it, since that's anywhere from $4-800 over what you can buy a new one directly from Serbu for if you're willing to wait until he gets to your order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2200 with no glass.

Yeah, the price gave me a case of holy shit too. But it's there, and could very easily be a consignment(I didn't look at it firsthand, just saw the listing on his page).

His prices are usually a lot closer to reasonable for what you're buying, so my instinct is it's a consignment. Owner wants his money back, shop added his consignment fee, gets $1400 to $2200 pretty quick that way.

Just saying one showing up on the local market so shortly after the video was posted is interesting timing and maybe the owner got scared of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Could be, or it could be he can't afford the ammo anymore and has decided his used rifle is worth the same as a new one because of the market.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, the price gave me a case of holy shit too. But it's there, and could very easily be a consignment(I didn't look at it firsthand, just saw the listing on his page).

His prices are usually a lot closer to reasonable for what you're buying, so my instinct is it's a consignment. Owner wants his money back, shop added his consignment fee, gets $1400 to $2200 pretty quick that way.

Just saying one showing up on the local market so shortly after the video was posted is interesting timing and maybe the owner got scared of it.
View Quote

Meh, when people need money something like a 50 is often first on the chopping block. They're absurdly impractical for most people and are absolutely toys for the majority that have them, myself included. It makes sense that if you need money you sell something like that rather than a gun that is harder to replace or out of production.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na1Qo7FxDeM
View Quote

I'm not satisfied with his engineer's analysis.  I think it holds up as long as the cartridge case contains the pressure, but if the case head fails, or the primer blows, that 55k+ PSI begins to act against the inside diameter of the breech cap, not the diameter of the cartridge case.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Cat: I should probably not buy a .50BMG.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

$2200 with no glass.
View Quote
That's insane. I paid $875 for mine directly from Mark Serbu, and he included a case for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Kentucky Ballistics' RN-50 Blow-up: First Look
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just avoid Serbu and avoid sketchy ammo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe avoid the RN50 but the other Serbu guns seem to have pretty solid reputations and have been around a long time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Nice to see the maker post out in the open on what he sees and what they find..very refreshing...
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Maybe avoid the RN50 but the other Serbu guns seem to have pretty solid reputations and have been around a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would wager that round would have blown up any gun catastrophically.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's insane. I paid $875 for mine directly from Mark Serbu, and he included a case for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2200 with no glass.

It sold less than a week after I posted that. Talked to the shop, guy bought out an estate sale and put it on consignment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Chemical composition analysis of the inside of the brass should tell the makeup of the propellant, whether it was the original propellant charge of 282 grains of WC 856, or something else.

The cartridge name in question is M962 (CARTRIDGE, CALIBER .50, SABOTED LIGHT ARMOR PENETRATOR-TRACER (SLAP-T), M962)

CARTRIDGE: From page 9-41 of:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/united_states_army_tm_43-0001-27%20-%2029_april_1994.pdf

PROPELLANT: First powder listed on page 2:

https://www.gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/BALL-POWDER-Propellants_v2.pdf

CARTRIDGE background:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/slap.htm

Winchester Ammunition made the SLAP and SLAP-T 2010-2016, so it’s not all old:

https://winchestermilitary.com/Cartridges

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/winchester-awarded-50-caliber-slap-ammo-us-army-contract/
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top