Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wonder what the headstamp was.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like someone was using spotter rounds in a semi.
View Quote
There was a bit of slag on the inside back seam of the magazine that fired the round under recoil.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There was a bit of slag on the inside back seam of the magazine that fired the round under recoil.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like someone was using spotter rounds in a semi.

No kidding? That's wild!

Chance in a million. Wow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
God damn lucky to be alive
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yikes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
50cal's scare the shit out of me honestly.
View Quote

I’ve always passed on shooting them, and stand a good distance away when someone else is shooting one.

Watching an arfcommer bump fire a semi barret was entertaining
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That was an extreme injury and freak occurrence.
He sure did have God and a Gaurdian Angel looking out for him that day.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only liked firing them with my little red button inside the turret......
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn glad he made it.

I will stick with my Barrett
View Quote

Same. Still, I wonder how much different the outcome would be if it really was a super overloaded round but was using an M82A1.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First off, it wasn't the ammo!

Look at the rifle A) he has the muzzle brake on and should be removed! He didn't question the reason why the accuracy was off, maybe the sabot was hitting the brake?! B) you need a special chamber to shoot SLAP rounds out of your rifle!

Yes, he is lucky!

It wasn't the rifle either, the shooter made some bad decisions that day!
View Quote

From what I understand he had Serbu build the rifle with the special chamber.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The problem here isn't the factor of safety.  This was so catastrophic that it looks the same would have happened even if it was built to handle 110ksi.  The problem is that the cheap design has no additional safeguards in the event of catastrophic failure.  

Because there is no large bolt, all that energy is directed to accelerating a small cap, which essentially becomes a very good projectile.  There is no receiver to contain the debris/projectile so it has a clear path to the shooter other than 2 small ears which also became projectiles.  None of this is true with a proper 50 BMG design from M99 to M107
View Quote

Ding Ding! We have a winner.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Scott is one of the very few gun youtubers i watch religiously.  He has great content.  

I wish him a fast recovery and i cant wait for some new full auto friday videos

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Love the t-shirt at the end.
View Quote

Lol i kinda want a shirt now that says, just put a thumb in it
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Video says it was likely 85ksi.  The design clearly needs to be enhanced but if it was built to handle 110ksi (2x safety factor) it would have been able to handle that load without grenading and sending lethal fragments into the operator as happened here.  Some damage yes, but not a catastrophic failure as demonstrated here.

50 caliber is an entirely different energy category from pistol and rifle calibers and should be treated as such.
View Quote

In video he says that Mark Serbu told him that it would take at least 85k PSI.

It could have been FAR HIGHER, but a minimum of 8fk to pull the threads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Watched the whole video. That is nuts. Guy is doing great for only 3 weeks after that kind of accident. I will pass on .50 SLAP rounds.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’ve always passed on shooting them, and stand a good distance away when someone else is shooting one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've shot one of the AR-15 based lower one for a couple of rounds.  I'm good and have no desire to ever own one.  There's just something about 3x (or more) the powder than used in something like a 300WM that makes me apprehensive about them.

I'm sure a Barrett, AI, or Armalite would be fine but I just don't have enough interest in one to spend the money on any of those and I refuse to buy a cheap 50BMG.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m so getting that shirt.

That Serbu design is pretty suspect. As a poster ahead of me noted, stronger ears to contain or at least deflect the cap upwards should have been in the design.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Look at the rifle A) he has the muzzle brake on and should be removed! He didn't question the reason why the accuracy was off, maybe the sabot was hitting the brake?! B) you need a special chamber to shoot SLAP rounds out of your rifle!

Yes, he is lucky!

View Quote

By the time the sabot would have hit the brake, the end cap had already crushed his face.

What is this "Special Chamber"?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
My first 50 was a Vulcan. Bought it young and dumb before I knew anything about 50's. Once I learned more, the fear of having this happen to me got me to sell it. Got me an AR50 now but still mindful of the risk.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love the t-shirt at the end.

Order one. I did.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure they do - the problem is when cheap and unsafe go together. I wouldn't want a .338WM of the exact same design as the safety issue would remain. It wasn't a materials problem.

ETA: I take it back. This isn't the design I thought it was. He was firing SLAP of unknown vintage/storage. Good lord. I thought it was well known not to do that! You have to pull the projectile and load it over known powder of a known weight if you absolutely must fire it.
View Quote

^
These days,, like third rail said, pull it, weigh it, reload it... your life might depend on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I have zero interest in shooting those crazy big bore rifles, for obvious reasons. There isn't anywhere I could actually shoot the fucking thing anyway
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That was an extreme injury and freak occurrence.
He sure did have God and a Gaurdian Angel looking out for him that day.

View Quote

It's actually happened quite a bit with those weirdly put together cheapass .50s. Show me where that has ever happened with a Barrett
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, I  just watched it again, he said over 85000 psi...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
That Serbu design is suspect. There's nowhere for anything to go except for straight back into your face. On modern bolt actions even if the lugs all failed there's still a mechanism to vent the pressure and catch the bolt. Usually  the case fails first venting pressure. That cap system fully encloses everything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, he is lucky!

View Quote

^
Great eye, true, I've read that you are NOT to use a muzzle break while using SLAP rounds.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's actually happened quite a bit with those weirdly put together cheapass .50s. Show me where that has ever happened with a Barrett
View Quote

Yep, here is the Vulcan that nearly killed the shooter, anybody notice anything in common with the RN50 and this V50?

Also look at this from a stats POV.  There are far more Barretts in the wild, with far more rounds through them, and yet you don't see these types of catastrophic failures causing this kind of injury.  Like I said, you need a 50 with safeguards when a KB happens if you want to play.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

^
Great eye, true, I've read that you are NOT to use a muzzle break while using SLAP rounds.
View Quote

Guys, a brake strike is not going to generate enough backpressure to KB a rifle like this
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#33]
If the break caused the problem should the brake not have some damage to it? This seems unrelated to the brake.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank God he's doing okay.

I know most of us don't experiment with stuff like that but hopefully this video reinforces our safety practices during our range trips.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those ears are 1/4" thick and are machined in place out of the lower. The cap is hardened and you can't fire the rifle unless it's screwed all the way in. There's at least half inch of thread contact all the way around the cap, so how would an interrupted thread be stronger?
View Quote

Yeah, I don’t think the design of the rifle is weak, I honestly think it is designed very strong. Unfortunately when it does fail the shooter is the next thing in line.  I think of that when I shoot my blaser- extremely strong design, but your face is next.

I’m not sure that a failure of this kind with a lug based bolt action would have been that much safer though, I think the lugs could have sheared just the same

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m surprised a gun with a .50bmg firing in your face only has a 1.5x factor of safety.

55ksi spec vs 85ksi threads. Plus thy thread engagement length is only like 1/2D of those threads.
View Quote

It may have a higher FOS but given how often KB shoots fatigue could be a factor. Especially if some of the previous shots were as high pressure as that one.

People don't think fatigue be like it is but it do
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy shit man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I doubt that it was from hitting the brake or else the brake would've been blown off.

I think the sabot was the issue, it caused enough pressure in the chamber to KB the rifle.
View Quote

He said clearly that some of the rounds were loaded hot and did not know that. He thought they were factory mil rounds..he even showed the difference in the size of the fireballs from SLAP round to SLAP round..
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Appears only 4 - 4.5 threads are actually engaging when the cap is installed.
The front couple of threads appear intact.
Hard to tell exactly without seeing the cap.
Assuming if this is a typically 70-75% thread depth engagement and looking at this photo it doesn't appear there is a whole lot of metal holding that thing together.
If you could hypothetically recover the metal sheared off and weight it compared to the lugs on say an M14 / Garand / M16 / ETC, wonder how it compares.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, that guy is lucky.
Serbu build save firearms. This was more of a freak occurrence then the norm.
Firearms blow up all the time.
I don't doubt that Serbu will be dong a bit of modification to the design.
I've had conversations with Mr. Serbu on a firearm that is in the works. One based on the Russian PTRD-41. But in .50BMG. Bolt is S-7 and the receiver extension is 4140.
One aspect of the Russian design is that during recoil the bolt opens as the upper recoils back. It's buffered by a spring in the lower butt stock. Very clever design.
Mr. Sebu is no dummy but a very intelligent and knowledgeable man.
BTW, anybody know what holds the barrel to the receiver? Yep. Threads. So theoretically an overpressure round could blow the barrel out of the receiver. Which it probably has with soem rifle.
In any case as far as the RN-50 there is an 18 month wait for one.
So I guess a lot of dumb fucks are buying those cheap rifles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn that’s fucking crazy. I like that guy, glad he made it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He said clearly that some of the rounds were loaded hot and did not know that. He thought they were factory mil rounds..he even showed the difference in the size of the fireballs from SLAP round to SLAP round..
View Quote

It was definitely a hot load and at $100 a round who knows where it really came from or what happened to it.

I'm sure the rifle is robust but it doesn't look like it went through a ton of development besides making something simple that can handle 50cal.

Edit- I'll bet they go back to the drawing table and figure out a better way to put that cap on. Those threads didn't seem to impressive but I understand it's a budget 50.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I doubt that it was from hitting the brake or else the brake would've been blown off.

I think the sabot was the issue, it caused enough pressure in the chamber to KB the rifle.
View Quote

I suspect the same thing. I am by no means a “fiddy” expert but I own/shoot a Serb BFG50 and have always been told NOT to shoot SLAP rounds in a bolt-action or semi-auto rifle. Someone mentioned that the KABOOM rifle’s chamber had been special cut but I didn’t hear that in the video.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad he made it.

Wonder if he knows where the round impacted?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I suspect the same thing. I am by no means a “fiddy” expert but I own/shoot a Serb BFG50 and have always been told NOT to shoot SLAP rounds in a bolt-action or semi-auto rifle. Someone mentioned that the KABOOM rifle’s chamber had been special cut but I didn’t hear that in the video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He mentioned it in one of his other videos.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That design looks a little sketch
View Quote

I am glad it's just not me. That looks like a functional design but inherently dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Guys, a brake strike is not going to generate enough backpressure to KB a rifle like this
View Quote

Its shooting sabot rounds thru a brake.
Using sabot rounds + a brake is asking for a bore obstruction.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a 37mm launcher kaboom year's ago. It didn't go off at first and when my father in law (who was shooting it) tried charging the handle back again I told him to drop it. No sooner than he let go it blew up.

Scary stuff

Just reminds me of that and to never play around with sketchy designs or ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I think it's safe to say he got very lucky.  If he hadn't been wearing safety glasses pretty sure he would have lost an eye.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top