Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its possible that they were legit.  Slap ammo is old, most of It is from the 80s. Also a lot of it was stored in the hot, dry Mid East shitholes  where it was used. Corrosion and power degradation are pretty common in the legit rounds. Its also possible that the powder stabilizes decomposed and instead of slowing the burn rate detonated and accelerated it.
It could have been a questionable handled, but its surprisingly hard to that significantly overcharge a 50bmg case using standard powders
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who made these particular ones is a better question.  They may need some kinetic counseling.  

Its possible that they were legit.  Slap ammo is old, most of It is from the 80s. Also a lot of it was stored in the hot, dry Mid East shitholes  where it was used. Corrosion and power degradation are pretty common in the legit rounds. Its also possible that the powder stabilizes decomposed and instead of slowing the burn rate detonated and accelerated it.
It could have been a questionable handled, but its surprisingly hard to that significantly overcharge a 50bmg case using standard powders

He did recover some projectiles that were clearly tungsten, so he didn't get scammed on those.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a while ago but I seem to recall pull down/surplus sabot bullets being available for .50bmg in the early 2000's late 90's or maybe it was someone making new ones for reloaders. Came with a big warning about not using normal powder loads with it.

I have not seen them in a long time though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

goddamn.

between that pressure and the volume of gas that round makes it really is a miracle that dude is alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~42,000 lbf

goddamn.

between that pressure and the volume of gas that round makes it really is a miracle that dude is alive.

Consider the gun is proofed to that.

This shot and the previous ones were likely far in excess.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah and we’ve all shot blowback 22s and break open shotguns too.

So a blowback 50BMG should be good to go!

Never mind AR locking lugs aren’t threads.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't seen that design before seeing this video.

Wow. Not sure you could pay me to shoot that, honestly.

As pointed out earlier, have you ever shot an AR-15?  
If you have, you have "shot that design".  

Yeah and we’ve all shot blowback 22s and break open shotguns too.

So a blowback 50BMG should be good to go!

Never mind AR locking lugs aren’t threads.  

Exactly. That this dude thinks the gun that blew up is the same thing as an AR because there’s some threads on the upper receiver for the barrel nut and the buffer tube is hilarious.

ETA: and the way the barrel extension threads on and interacts with the bolt and the forces involved is nothing like a screw on cap with essentially nothing behind it holding the round in the chamber
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Consider the gun is proofed to that.

This shot and the previous ones were likely far in excess.
View Quote

yep.

its impossible to tell exactly how much pressure it took to make that happen.

those tangs, the one's that almost killed him, also saved him. had they not been there, the cap would have gone through his head.. that being said if they ran the length of the receiver they probably wouldn't have come off at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
That just looks like a sketchy design. Looks about 12 TPI with maybe 5 thread engagement with cap screwed on .
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are standard formulas using white supremacist math to determine holding forces with interference fit joints.  Not different really than spec'ing the strength required of a lug, bolt, or any other part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would a press fit joint be figured?

Steyr barrels are pressed into the receiver

There are standard formulas using white supremacist math to determine holding forces with interference fit joints.  Not different really than spec'ing the strength required of a lug, bolt, or any other part.

Now you did it, you mentioned math. Haven't you been paying attention to the nrws? We don't need math.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

With a hell of a lot more thread engagement, and an actual torque spec, with a hell of a lot less bolt thrust, and also with a big hunk of cast or forged aluminum preventing it from traveling toward your face.

There is no getting around how bad this design is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel extension attached to barrel how?

With a hell of a lot more thread engagement, and an actual torque spec, with a hell of a lot less bolt thrust, and also with a big hunk of cast or forged aluminum preventing it from traveling toward your face.

Yea....the only thing these 2 have in common is that they are both threads that are located on guns, horrible comparison.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
i know nothing of Serbu 50 cals since I have a Barrett M82A1, but are their guns typically decent and budget-friendly i assume?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Having the recoil be absorbed by nothing but those end cap threads seems more than a little suspect.  I wouldn't be too keen on trusting those even before seeing this video.

Isn't there a theoretical maximum pressure a given caliber can physically have, given powder types and case volume?  Why wouldn't they add a safety margin equal to that maximum?  The guy said normal 50 cal pressure is 55,000psi and that this round was probably 85,000psi.

I know over building has a cost but this guy almost died and by all accounts should have.
View Quote

There is a safety margin. In order to get that PSI you would have to be way over charged. This would have went kaboom in a barret as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're supposed to say "I'm an engineer not a communications major."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clamping force with a bolt action will be insignificant as the lugs are not preloaded much when closed on a round. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by clamping force.

Also I don't see how clamping force plays much in the role of a what is essentially a pressure vessel design with a cap (lug or threads) assuming proper headspace.

I don't know how to state it any more simply than I already have

You're supposed to say "I'm an engineer not a communications major."

He pretty much did.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

goddamn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~42,000 lbf

goddamn.

It’s a miracle his Dad (and his velociraptor) are still alive as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel like the partial blaming of the nitride mentioned earlier in this thread is bullshit.

Is it possible to experience hydrogen embrittlement from improperly coated/treated steel parts? Sure. But proper coating and post treatments eliminate that risk. Look at the literally millions of full nitride or chromed AR15 BCGs market. There weren’t a rash of KBs when most MFGs switched from phosphate to chromed or salt bath nitrided BCGs & barrels over the years.

I think this is solely a combination of what happens when shooting unsafe ammo in a design that would be predictably unsafe if it were to fail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i know nothing of Serbu 50 cals since I have a Barrett M82A1, but are their guns typically decent and budget-friendly i assume?
View Quote

His gas gun is more expensive than a Barrett
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I feel like the partial blaming of the nitride mentioned earlier in this thread is bullshit.

Is it possible to experience hydrogen embrittlement from improperly coated/treated steel parts? Sure. But proper coating and post treatments eliminate that risk. Look at the literally millions of full nitride or chromed AR15 BCGs market. There weren’t a rash of KBs when most MFGs switched from phosphate to chromed or salt bath nitrided BCGs & barrels over the years.

I think this is solely a combination of what happens when shooting unsafe ammo in a design that would be predictably unsafe if it were to fail.
View Quote

I think the nitride post was in response to something else, not the gun from this video.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is a safety margin. In order to get that PSI you would have to be way over charged. This would have went kaboom in a barret as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having the recoil be absorbed by nothing but those end cap threads seems more than a little suspect.  I wouldn't be too keen on trusting those even before seeing this video.

Isn't there a theoretical maximum pressure a given caliber can physically have, given powder types and case volume?  Why wouldn't they add a safety margin equal to that maximum?  The guy said normal 50 cal pressure is 55,000psi and that this round was probably 85,000psi.

I know over building has a cost but this guy almost died and by all accounts should have.

Where that force goes is kinda important.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow what a story. So glad he is recovering well. God Bless his family and himself. I'm sure his Family was a wreck after the incident.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not the lugs.
The barrel extension is attached to the barrel how?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't seen that design before seeing this video.

Wow. Not sure you could pay me to shoot that, honestly.

As pointed out earlier, have you ever shot an AR-15?  
If you have, you have "shot that design".  

Compare the shear area, fit/engagement and effective pressure area in an ar-15 bolt and the failure modes and effects from a sheared lug in that design to those in this design. Incorrect.

Not the lugs.
The barrel extension is attached to the barrel how?  

Substantially differently, from a design perspective, as well as from a physical modeling/mathematical perspective, and especially from the perspective of failure modes and effects/design risk.

I'm very well aware of how AR-15s are constructed and function.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the nitride post was in response to something else, not the gun from this video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it possible to experience hydrogen embrittlement from improperly coated/treated steel parts? Sure. But proper coating and post treatments eliminate that risk. Look at the literally millions of full nitride or chromed AR15 BCGs market. There weren't a rash of KBs when most MFGs switched from phosphate to chromed or salt bath nitrided BCGs & barrels over the years.

The Serbu Nitriding PSA was from a year ago and has nothing to do with Scott's kaBoom.

Other than it has Serbu stating the RN50's breech cap, as mfg'ed by them, is supposed to have "at least a safety factor of 3x, meaning its three times as strong as it needs to be."

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy crap.  Guy got lucky.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like someone was using spotter rounds in a semi.
View Quote

Some spotter rounds contain white phosphorus.
Don't bang the tips or use a kinetic bullet puller.. .. .
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Some spotter rounds contain the white phosphorus.
Don't bang the tips or use a kinetic bullet puller.. .. .
View Quote

?? yikes
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Threads are not nearly as strong when used like they are on the RN50.  No preload = pulled threads everytime.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The problem here isn't the factor of safety.  This was so catastrophic that it looks the same would have happened even if it was built to handle 110ksi.  The problem is that the cheap design has no additional safeguards in the event of catastrophic failure.  

Because there is no large bolt, all that energy is directed to accelerating a small cap, which essentially becomes a very good projectile.  There is no receiver to contain the debris/projectile so it has a clear path to the shooter other than 2 small ears which also became projectiles.  None of this is true with a proper 50 BMG design from M99 to M107
View Quote

This is the crux of the matter right here.  Any weapon can be destroyed with over pressure ammo.  It the systems put in place through engineering that makes the splodey bits splode away from you is what matters.  The Sebru clearly has none of these systems in place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is the crux of the matter right here.  Any weapon can be destroyed with over pressure ammo.  It the systems put in place through engineering that makes the splodey bits splode away from you is what matters.  The Sebru clearly has none of these systems in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem here isn't the factor of safety.  This was so catastrophic that it looks the same would have happened even if it was built to handle 110ksi.  The problem is that the cheap design has no additional safeguards in the event of catastrophic failure.  

Because there is no large bolt, all that energy is directed to accelerating a small cap, which essentially becomes a very good projectile.  There is no receiver to contain the debris/projectile so it has a clear path to the shooter other than 2 small ears which also became projectiles.  None of this is true with a proper 50 BMG design from M99 to M107

The term I have heard tossed around for this is "failing gracefully."

For example, I've read that some triple biscuit woodworking joints take more force to destroy than ... what was it, the through joints that are pinned (eludes me atm) ... BUT ... the biscuit joints, when they went, gave no warning at all, the wood grain simply separates catastrophically. The other joint gets loose and wobbles and you can "see it coming."

GOOD designs take into account that they WILL fail and are designed to ... fail ... gracefully. Not brutally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#26]

TNT in case as "military trap" to blow up enemy

Is that a thing?  This CRS firearms guys sounds crazy... have not watched enough of his videos to decide if he is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Dang that was a close call.  Looks like Ill be selling off all my slap!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I enjoy his videos and he seems like a guy I'd enjoy hanging out with.  Really glad he's ok.  God was with him that day for sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEnU0JyhR84

Is that a thing?  This CRS firearms guys sounds crazy... have not watched enough of his videos to decide if he is.
View Quote

Yes.

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2016/11/18/project-eldest-son-the-secret-u-s-scheme-to-sabotage-charlies-ammo/
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
In the video, as he loads the final round and closes the receiver (right around 3:16), there's a piece of metal or something that gets ejected downward/forward and bounces off the table on the right-hand side.  
What is that?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Gun Jesus's take on it.

Earth-Shattering ka-Boom! How (and Why) Guns Explode
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEnU0JyhR84

View Quote

Guntube Fred Durst?

@brasscrossedrifles
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Guntube Fred Durst?

@brasscrossedrifles
View Quote

I'm impressed that someone your age knows who Fred Durst is. A man of culture!
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm impressed that someone your age knows who Fred Durst is. A man of culture!
View Quote
lol. Apparently he's not the first to call CRS Fred Durst.  Looks like CRS is playing ambulance chaser (going after the YouTube views).
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
lol. Apparently he's not the first to call CRS Fred Durst.  Looks like CRS is playing ambulance chaser (going after the YouTube views).
View Quote

BCR is the first poster on here I saw to call him that.

I thought it was hilarious because its a perfect descriptor.

I have been called a man of culture before.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. I know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow! That is enough pressure to blow that cap off w/o a bore obstruction.
View Quote

I've got 160k psi with a 750 gr bullet, 100% fill rate and the book OAL. Peak pressure was at  0.2 ms. However, QL is obviously not validated for such high pressures.

It's a shame pressure barrels are not more common. In Finland the government proof house accepts proofing lots of ammo from anyone, including private citizen hand loaders It's not even that expensive. They will give you all the pressure and velocity data in their report, not just if it passed CIP values or not. However, if you give them a bomb like that to proof and it wrecks their pressure barrel, I guess you are paying for the barrel and PE transducer as well.

It would have been interesting to see the other casings from the SLAP rounds before the one with the KB. Were there any pressure signs in them? In general the idea that you try to judge cartridge pressure limits from fired rounds is though more art than science, only a pressure barrel with a properly calibrated transducer will tell you that reliably.

Personally I don't shoot suspect ammo in any rifles and very sparingly in pistols. But after shooting the M2000 heavy sniper rifle with standard ball ammo, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of shooting mystery rounds commonly counterfreited with it. It's like lighting off a ground burst simulator charge in the front of your face. If you don't respect the power of that caliber in your choices of ammo, you are kind of nuts.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn.

Firing .50 SLAP mystery-meat rounds just got crossed off of my list.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I think the guy must have his jugular vein and carotid artery mixed up.

He talked about severing his jugular vein, but then talked about after repairing it, and unclamping, they were worried about a clot going to his brain causing a stroke.  

The jugular takes blood away from the brain, the carotid is what goes to the brain.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

those tangs, the one's that almost killed him, also saved him. had they not been there, the cap would have gone through his head.. that being said if they ran the length of the receiver they probably wouldn't have come off at all.
View Quote

If they ran the length of the receiver, you wouldn't be able to cock the hammer in it's current design.

You would need a side mounted stud attached to the hammer and a circular cut in the side for it to run in.....similar to the cocking setup of an MBA Gyro Jet

Tony

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you agree the basic attachment of the breech to the barrel is the same.

Containment of an overload is a different matter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Exactly. That this dude thinks the gun that blew up is the same thing as an AR because there’s some threads on the upper receiver for the barrel nut and the buffer tube is hilarious.

ETA: and the way the barrel extension threads on and interacts with the bolt and the forces involved is nothing like a screw on cap with essentially nothing behind it holding the round in the chamber
View Quote

Good thing you added that EDIT.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A spoon and an aircraft carrier are made of the same basic material.  What kind of conclusions can we draw from that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Substantially differently, from a design perspective, as well as from a physical modeling/mathematical perspective, and especially from the perspective of failure modes and effects/design risk.

I'm very well aware of how AR-15s are constructed and function.

View Quote

Blue:  Explain please.
One is a threaded extention, the other a threaded cap.

Instead of smartass answers, help us(me) understand.  
For clarity, I am not asking about containment and redirection of a failure.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
“Old unknown origin rounds (reloads? Storage?) in retrospect bad idea to shoot rounds of unknown province.
View Quote

This is true for any caliber as well.

I remember seeing the RN 50 serbu video.  I thought it was a neat design.  Definitely does not fail catastrophically in a safe direction.  I wonder how a double rifle or ruger no 1 would fail in a similar over pressure scenario.  Also a great example of safety glasses saving an eye.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the guy. I bought the shirt to support him.

But man, he said several times "I had no way of knowing that round was unsafe".

Come on man, this is exactly why you don't shoot ammo of unknown origin.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not torqued = not the same.

Also, butted against an upper receiver which is between shooter and breach is not the same as open direct line from breach cap to shooter.

Also, ratio of amount of thread engagement to amount of pressure is NOT even close to the same.

Not sure what you're trying to prove, but you're digging your hole deeper. Is an F150 pulling 10k pounds the same as an F450 pulling a john boat? I mean, they both have engines, four tires, and a trailer hitch, right?

eta: Not trying to be a smart ass, as I enjoy discussing minutiae too. It could come down to your definition of "same".

Yes, the breach is basically threaded together. No, they're not the same re: strength of the joint in the respective designs and executions regardless of containment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn! Glad he's sorta ok.

He is one of the very few gun tubers I actually watch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I remember seeing the RN 50 serbu video.  I thought it was a neat design.  Definitely does not fail catastrophically in a safe direction.  I wonder how a double rifle or ruger no 1 would fail in a similar over pressure scenario.  Also a great example of safety glasses saving an eye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Old unknown origin rounds (reloads? Storage?) in retrospect bad idea to shoot rounds of unknown province.

Horribly. Similar to the RN50 there is nowhere "safe" for it to release pressure.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top