Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's 4456D chess and after 50 more balloting sessions Trump will step in as the Savior and be elected Speaker...
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imma go out on a limb here and say that McCarthy fucked over someone(s) in the Freedom Caucus, and this is their way of handling it.
View Quote

From what I hear, KM was expecting a red wave and thought he could tell the rebellious non-RINO element to fuck off.

Chickens coming home to roost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

I'll go out on a limb here, and speculate that maybe some folks don't want McCarthy to be Speaker.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

I'll go out on a limb here, and speculate that maybe some folks don't want McCarthy to be Speaker.  

Or it could all be orchestrated to look like "republicanism".

December 1923

An election for speaker took place December 3–5, 1923, at the start of the 68th Congress, following the 1922 elections in which the Republicans won a majority of the seats. Frederick H. Gillett received a majority of the votes cast in the 9th ballot and was re-elected speaker. Progressive Republicans had refused to support Gillett for the first eight ballots. Only after winning concessions from Republican conference leaders (a seat on the House Rules Committee and a pledge that requested House rules changes would be considered) did they agree to support him.[124] After this, multiple rounds of voting would not be necessary to elect a speaker again until 2023.[125]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This dipshit isn't even speaking/appealing to the American people for the job; he's just bartering/badgering in the back room(s).

Isn't he the one living with that weird polster dude?  I wonder what the public polls say about this??  It can't be good for him after that stupid spending bill went thru McConnell and Co.
View Quote

The more he speaks, the weaker he becomes. An orator he is not.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Can they get more than 20 this time?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Time to move for adjournment. KM is weaker now that when the day started.

He and his brain trust need to retire to Squatter Central for taxpayer funded pizza, and formulate more empty threats.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can they get more than 20 this time?
View Quote

They don't need more than 20 currently... they're waiting for McCarthy to withdraw. The question then becomes who do they coalesce behind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Complete disaster, who is going to rename the Army bases? Could this affect my day off on Juneteenth?

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
How long till a bunch of butt hurt republicans start voting present?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A man has to know his limitations.  Time give it up McCarthy.  Either give in to their demands or step aside.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They don't need more than 20 currently... they're waiting for McCarthy to withdraw. The question then becomes who do they coalesce behind.
View Quote

It'd be nice to see if phone calls, etc. are moving any fence-sitters across the line.
I called mine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
6th time was not the charm
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a job for Dominion voting.......
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The story is they went to him last summer, and said. 'Let's clean up some of these bullshit rules.' He said, Fuck Off, my majority will be so big I can run the Speakership under Nancy's Rules, which pretty much is I do what I wanna do. His Red Wave didn't materialize, and now the conservatives want all their demands, and are pretty much done with KM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imma go out on a limb here and say that McCarthy fucked over someone(s) in the Freedom Caucus, and this is their way of handling it.

The story is they went to him last summer, and said. 'Let's clean up some of these bullshit rules.' He said, Fuck Off, my majority will be so big I can run the Speakership under Nancy's Rules, which pretty much is I do what I wanna do. His Red Wave didn't materialize, and now the conservatives want all their demands, and are pretty much done with KM.
That's pretty much the deal.... now he has to deal with the outcome of the results.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The problem is that the number of people being represented by each member has more than tripled since 1900 or so. Now it's one Rep for every 750K, IIRC, so one has a lot of neighbors far, far away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have a representative government, the people in office represent the people on the street. Look at your neighbors, friends, and loved ones. They're part of the problem.

The problem is that the number of people being represented by each member has more than tripled since 1900 or so. Now it's one Rep for every 750K, IIRC, so one has a lot of neighbors far, far away.

Unfortunately, it would be impossible to go to the 1:30,000 ratio the Constitution mandates.  We'd have thousands of legislators.  I recall David Hume writing that 900 is about the maximum practical size for a genuinely deliberative body.  Seems about right.  The only bigger ones are probably not genuinely deliberative, like the ChiCom congress.  We do need to get that ratio down, though.  It was not meant to be anywhere near what it is today.  Back then, also, a lot of those 30,000 constituents could not vote, as voting required meeting substantial qualifications in most of the country.  Congress passed an amendment to deal with this issue and allow an increase in the ratio as Congress got larger (it's the only article from the Bill of Rights that was not ratified), but even that amendment would be inadequate today.

IMO, due to this issue and also the need to effectively represent more than just the more urban population at the national level (given how much power Congress has usurped for itself), in addition to an increase in size of the House (something closer to the House of Commons might be a good place to start), House districts should be drawn according to geography, i.e. approximately equal representation of counties, or cities and towns in the couple of States that don't really use counties.  Population should only be used to deal with remainders, since divisions will not always be perfectly equal.  This is something that does not require an amendment, although an amendment would be better (not really viable, though, nor is any decent amendment, really; only stupid shit like term limits might stand a chance), since if one Congress managed to pass it, a change in power could cause it to be eliminated within a couple of years.  Then again, it might prove to be a fait accompli if Republicans could actually pass such a thing after acquiring the will to do so (a tall order), as it would probably give Republicans a supermajority in the House.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
This is awesome! Fuck yeah! I want 87 attempts!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is awesome seeing actual debate and argument happen in Congress. This is what the Founders intended. Our system of government was designed to be dysfunctional on purpose. So government cannot intrude on the rights of the people.
View Quote

The Freedom Caucus rules the House now. We could watch a repeat of this every bill for the next two years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
US  population is what, 330 million?

And these are the retards running the show
View Quote

A special kind of narcissistic sociopath seeks these positions and rises to the top.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is awesome! Fuck yeah! I want 87 attempts!
View Quote
They have been there a whole 4 hrs.  Wouldn't be surprised to have someone make a motion to dismiss for the day - we'll see ya back tomorrow at noon
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Freedom Caucus rules the House now. We could watch a repeat of this every bill for the next two years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is awesome seeing actual debate and argument happen in Congress. This is what the Founders intended. Our system of government was designed to be dysfunctional on purpose. So government cannot intrude on the rights of the people.

As they say, "From your lips to God's ear!"

I don't care if the speaker is McCarthy, I want to see open debate on amendments, not backroom deals EVERY TIME.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]

ETA: She deleted the Tweet.  Fake news!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA: Tweet isn't real I guess.  Fake news!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They have been there a whole 4 hrs.  Wouldn't be surprised to have someone make a motion to dismiss for the day - we'll see ya back tomorrow at noon
View Quote

They just voted to adjourn and reconvene at 8:00 p.m., but even that vote seemed a little controversial.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They just voted to adjourn and reconvene at 8:00 p.m., but even that vote seemed a little controversial.
View Quote

Well if you're asking them to come back at 8pm... I mean, people got parties and stuff to get to. Those envelopes of money don't just deliver themselves.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

By looking back in the quote chain, you quoted armyvet saying 'this poster ' in response to what he said.   Were you referencing him or someone else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trump's lunatic fringe has broken from him and has become its own uncontrollable beast.
This poster is fine with the status quo (wasteful omnibus thievery, passing bills without reading them, never ended illegal immigration, etc, etc, etc).

How soon you forget 2020
Um, ok

Do you support McCarthy and Trump?

No. Your point?

You seem to be attacking people who are against McCarthy being speaker. Why is that?

You seem to be drawing incorrect conclusions.

By looking back in the quote chain, you quoted armyvet saying 'this poster ' in response to what he said.   Were you referencing him or someone else?

His post seems to be attacking the people standing in the way of KM's bid to become speaker so we don't interpret it the same way apparently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I nominate Catturd for speaker.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like they have some agreement with at least a few of the holdouts. Probably need to iron out the details. Otherwise, I don't think they'd come back at 8. If they come back at 8 and immediately adjourn, that tells me KM is bigger dunce than I thought he was, and that's impressive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

NOW we're getting somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
So, unless/until massive bribery occurs or Democrats Quid Pro McCarthy's Quo does this become a sort of filibuster thing where the no votes have to camp out in their seats or else the swamp will sneak a vote past them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Does this theoretically just go on forever in a stalemate and nothing gets done?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

second
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does this theoretically just go on forever in a stalemate and nothing gets done?
View Quote

we can only hope
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

we can only hope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we can only hope

If they want to stall the Democrat agenda, then this is probably the most effects way of doing it.

I dare say putting the Democrat Jefferies in as speaker would nearly be as effective.  Pretty sad when you think about it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone should nominate Pierre Delecto for grins.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

From your lips to God's ears.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  It has taken as many as 133 rounds of voting to choose a Speaker.  If both sides are recalcitrant and no deal is made with the Democrats, then this could go on for quite some time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

There isn’t any actual debate or argument going on.  It’s a small group of people who want something for their vote against someone who isn’t willing to give it to them, and neither side is willing to bend.  That’s just being stubborn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There isn’t any actual debate or argument going on.  It’s a small group of people who want something for their vote against someone who isn’t willing to give it to them, and neither side is willing to bend.  That’s just being stubborn.
View Quote

It's amazing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you implying that something will get done if they actually choose a speaker.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

While McCarthy is trying to wrangle his votes, the Democrats are also trying to wring a few RINOs loose to join them in electing a "unity" Speaker. McCarthy actually needs a lot more votes than the Dems need.

The longer this goes on, the more likely that a few of the marginal RINOs join the Dems. They won't pick a Democrat, but an ultra-squishy "moderate" who will split committee assignments and run things in a way that's more favorable to the Dems.

If McCarthy can't get this done soon, then he will have to step aside for someone else before the Dems get their RINOs.

The question is who gets to 218 first.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes.  It has taken as many as 133 rounds of voting to choose a Speaker.  If both sides are recalcitrant and no deal is made with the Democrats, then this could go on for quite some time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the safest thing for the country to vote on the speaker for the next two years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread is luscious entertainment.

Makes me wonder what the Freedom Caucus is going to do to MTG when the dust settles.

I’m thinking she’s going to be kicked out the door.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's David standing against Goliath.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread is luscious entertainment.

Makes me wonder what the Freedom Caucus is going to do to MTG when the dust settles.

I’m thinking she’s going to be kicked out the door.
View Quote

Good riddance.  She's such a loon.  The AOC of the Congressional GOP.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top