Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

I own a Sportkilt in my clans tartan (fathers side, Scottish).

We are also authorized to wear the tartans of Clan Mackay (not pictured as there are about five)

My Mothers side is Welsh and wears this one:
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I found out a bit more about 'Dress Tartans'. They are just a variant of the standard pattern, but the Dress ones have more WHITE in them. And the reason:
"The story goes that Dress tartans
were born thanks to Queen Victoria
(a “passionate advocate of all things
Scottish”). She wanted to follow her
uncle George IV in wearing Royal
Stewart tartan. Unfortunately she
could not. This plaid includes the colour
red, at the time a signal for prostitution
(as in our modern Red Light
Districts). So white (for purity) was
introduced to replace red, and the
Dress Stewart tartan was created."

I found this cool e-book online that is free and tells you everything you need to know about wearing and buying a kilt.
Click here
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd wear one, but it has to be in either ACU or Multicam pattern, so i can wear it to the range. Sadly, I'm not Scottish or Irish, so no family tartan for me, but still...

amerikilt makes almost all camo patterns
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Being a "hairy breek'd" Scotsman, of course I would wear a MacMillan Ancient or Hunting tartan Kilt(dress MacMillan is the ugliest tartan there is), but utility kilts are just the bondage pants equivolent of a skirt.

I don't know if they are the ugliest, that could be along thread by itself, but the ones I looked up were nasty.  Mines Ogilvie, and most of those didn't look too bad.

I wore my Dad's a few times, but it's a little small for me.  There's kilts made right and there are cheap kilts.  If you have to get one, get one that is at least pleated correctly if you get one in a tartan.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
no
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck no, no one should ever wear one...
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The song plays automatically, so turn down the volume if you are at work amongst those very easily offended (but who could be offended at such a cute and clever old song? ):

www.kanyak.com/skilt.html

For those who don't care to click and listen (even though IMHO you should ):

[center

I love that song! Been years since I heard it.

Kilts are GREAT!  Gotta love kilts!  

Tushy images removed...

Off to google image search "kilts & wind" some more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You're in trouble.

No skivvies underneath?

Absolutely no freaking way in hell...
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have 5 that I wear frequently.  2 family tartans, 1 Black Watch that I made myself, 1 survival utilikilt, and 1 around the house casual one.  

To those that say they are not manly.  Almost every culture in history has had some form of male garment that was not bifurcated ie. pants.   The domestication of the horse typically is where historians say pants became normal attire for men.

I find that I am very comfortable in a kilt.  The only uncomfortable part is when others make a big deal out of it.  I typically ignore it and move on.  

Someone asked about a pistol that will fit in a sporan.  I can assure you that a G19 will fit in some sporans.  

What do ya think of the survival utilikilt
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Where I am from that is a skirt. No i would not wear a kilt ever.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]

skirt

You do know why it's called a kilt, right?

Because the last person to call it a skirt was kilt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I 'do stuff' in my kilt all the time.

Well, good luck to you then.

HAHA!

Seems a little too dangerous for me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]
There is nothing sexier than a man in a great kilt.

Great kilts aren't pleated as much.  They're generally longer, and they have the extra yardage to use as blanket or cloak.

I don't actually like the utilikilts, but I wouldn't criticize someone for wearing one.  My husband likes my clan better than his, so he wears my tartan.  

It's difficult to find an American with NO Scot or Irish heritage.  There are a few, but not many.  

If you go to Highland games and watch men tossing around telephone poles and running the kilted mile, you'll realize that kilts are rather versatile.

You do have to learn to sit correctly, lest the rest of us get more of a view than YOU might like.

If I didn't know the truth, I'd say guys started wearing kilts to attract females, cuz that's what kilts do.  If you're wearing a kilt, you probably don't have a lot of ego or confidence issues.  That's sexy.

Kitties

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like they'd be absolutely miserable for camping - too much exposed acreage.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread has not turned out like I thought it would.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I wear them at ren faires
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Remember the famed Blackwatch Regiment fought wars in kilts not all that long ago.  Highland Scots lived a far more active life than 99% of modern Americans, and they obviously got along with no problems.

Remember also that they quit wearing them near the end of the first world war because they were freezing their nuts off.  In some cases, literally.  The lice loved the pleats too.

ETA- all your skirt-wearin page 6 belongeth to frozen nuts and lice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, was born in Scotland
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Hell yeah I wear a kilt.

The sound of a zipper scares the sheep...
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Picked up my first Utilikilt about 3 years ago at a Ren Faire, have recently added a second one to the collection.

Wear them around the house, and to ren faire's, have been out in public several times with them, but it's definately not the "work thing" or the every day dress for me...
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
In a practical sense I'll take a pair of shorts over a kilt
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#23]
They look and sound comfortable, but I'm not so sure I'd want to go around "traditional" underneath.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
They look and sound comfortable, but I'm not so sure I'd want to go around "traditional" underneath.

"See yond' sleeping Scotsman so young and handsome built,
I wonder if it's true they don't wear beneath their kilts"

And kilt goes well with man purse sporrans.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#25]
6 pages and the truth has not been revealed yet.  Scotsmen wear kilts because sheep have learned that the sound of a zipper means trouble and therefore have a chance to escape.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
6 pages and the truth has not been revealed yet.  Scotsmen wear kilts because sheep have learned that the sound of a zipper means trouble and therefore have a chance to escape.  

I think that was mentioned previously.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"See yond' sleeping Scotsman so young and handsome built,
I wonder if it's true they don't wear beneath their kilts"

And kilt goes well with man purse sporrans.

Is wearing boxers underneath a serious fashion faux pas?  

Then again, if someone pointed it out I could reply, "What 'ere ye doin' lookin' up me kilt, laddie???!!!"
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Picked up my first Utilikilt about 3 years ago at a Ren Faire, have recently added a second one to the collection.

Wear them around the house, and to ren faire's, have been out in public several times with them, but it's definately not the "work thing" or the every day dress for me...

What kind of utilikilt's do ya have????
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The first one I bought is the "Mocker" it's a little longer and looks more traditional.

I recently picked up a used one that is a "standard" with the two pockets on the sides.  It doesn't look as good, and the material isn't as thick, but it was cheaper and just as comfortable.

I'm keeping my eyes open for another Mocker or a Survivor for a good price, might ask the wife for a new one for Christmas though... have to think about that one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The first one I bought is the "Mocker" it's a little longer and looks more traditional.

I recently picked up a used one that is a "standard" with the two pockets on the sides.  It doesn't look as good, and the material isn't as thick, but it was cheaper and just as comfortable.

I'm keeping my eyes open for another Mocker or a Survivor for a good price, might ask the wife for a new one for Christmas though... have to think about that one.

I was looking at the Mocker, but other reviews on the web don't rate em very good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Only with my family's tartan on it.

+1

I've already got ties and a scarf . . . so a kilt might be in the picture some day.

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
a skirt is a skirt no matter what you try to call it, so HELL NO!!!

Wimp
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top