Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Our S-3 clerk.

Came to back door of office and there was a small rattler.

Went around to front door through office and opened the back door to see if it was still there.  

It slithered between his legs under one of the desks by some boxes.

He kneeled down and started reaching under the desk and got bit on the hand.

Rushed to medical clinic for anti-venom.  That thing swolled up like 3 times normal size.  

His nickname after that was "snake bite".
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I know lots of people who have been bitten by myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my hand stung by an adult Copperhead about 5 years ago while pulling weeds in my back yard. I have good vision and never saw that A hole until he forked me.  I spent the night in the hospital high (sleeping) on dilaudid. Received three doses of Crofab. Hand and arm swole up to almost my elbow and ached like a mofo.

I almost got bit a second time trying to kill that focker with a rock and a stomp to the head. Brought him with me to the hospital still thrashing in a usps box. Docs all said I was lucky it was not a rattlesnake. Said they might send a helo for you depending on time elapsed from envenomation.

If you are an epipen carrier, any bite can jack you up!  Don't fool around, get to a hospital where they can watch you for a couple of hours, even if it's just a Copperhead.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know lots of people who have been bitten by myself.
View Quote
you're a biter?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Grandson was bitten on the finger by a rattlesnake. Lucky it was a dry bite. Swelled up about like a bee sting.

Next door neighbor was bitten by a rattlesnake. Don't know the details. Hurt him pretty bad.

An accointance kept a rattlesnake. One night he came home drunk and decided to play with his rattlesnake. Snake wiggled and he dropped it. Caught a fang on his thigh. He said it barely scratched him. Leg swelled up and got black.  He said he spent a month in the hospital.

I've had a few too close encounters with rattlesnakes, besides stepping or almost stepping on them.  was down in a hole and had to go up a ladder with a rattlesnake laying right next it. I thought I was gonna die right there but I didn't get bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been "bitten" by a brown water snake, a black racer, and a bamboo viper.
View Quote
"I Spit in a bamboo viper's face, and i'd be dead but by God's grace"
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Venomous snakes are cool...as long as they stay the fuck away from me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had a few dangerously close calls, but never bitten.
Western Diamondbacks are everywhere in the Sonora Desert
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
When I had Boa Constrictors the big female got me during feeding time. It bled quite a bit, but no lingering effects.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been bitten by any snakes. I watched my Dad get tagged on the finger by a bull snake when I was a kid, broke a little skin and bled. The cussing was the best part, he was mad. 

I tend to keep my distance even with non venomous snakes, I don't really want to mess with them, just watch them. No reason for me to bother them. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never been bitten but my brother has been bitten twice by black snakes. Not venomous, but apparently their mouths have a ton of bacteria in them as he had fevers and the runs for a couple days afterwards both times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I was bitten on the right foot by a copperhead when I was 4.
Fortunately, the fangs went through my foot and the venom was put into the sole of my shoe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had a few dangerously close calls, but never bitten.
Western Diamondbacks are everywhere in the Sonora Desert
View Quote
Surface active pretty much all year long too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Once bitten by 4 meter wild burmese Python while hiking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Kimo and Moki left Hawaii for for the mainland.  I was their first time leaving Hawaii....going to Las Vegas baby!  Anyway, they went out into the desert and well, Kimo had to piss.  Kimo pulled his zipper down and was pissing on a bush.  Little did Kimo know but, there was a rattler in the bush.  The snake was really mad and bit Kimo on his pepe.

Kimo yelled out to Moki, "Oh $#^* Moki, what you pose to do when one snake bite you?"

Moki replied, "Suc da poison out."

Kimo exclaimed, "Oh no, I can't.  You do it, you do it."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad was bitten by a rattlesnake when he was about 3, 1947 or so.  It was 17 miles to a small rural hospital.

Obviously he made it.   He's 73 now and we've had 3 rattlers in the last year, one in the garage, one on the porch, and one in the driveway.  I told him they're trying to get him before he shuffles off naturally.  Blood feud.  Like Jeremiah Johnson with the Indians.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This guy riding a motorcycle gets targeted by a snake.

Snake strikes at motorcyclist
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Non-venomous a few times.   I used to have a pet king snake.  It bit me once.  The other two times I was bitten by other snakes I was collecting to feed to the king snake.

The bites did not really hurt, had a v shaped set of bloody teeth marks.  Washed it good with soap and peroxide as snakes mouths can have bad bacteria.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been bitten by a venomous snake.

Garter Snakes actually are mildly venomous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]
All the time when I was a kid. I had dozens of snakes. They cleared the woods across the canal from our house and built a school. They couldn't understand why they had a constant snake problem. The head Nun would call my Mom and I'd go over and wrangle them. Gave me some street cred at the school. Alter Boy/Snake Wrangler. Teacher got down hard on my case one year so I put one in her desk at lunch. We had a Herpetologist guy I would call when I found the Rattlers and Moccasins and he'd come collect those for research. Never got bit by a poisonous one because Mom made sure I could identify snakes. Still have a 40 year old tanned Rattler skin that me and my Mom skinned out, tacked to a board, scraped, cleaned and soaked in baby oil. Still supple after all these years. I feel sorry for kids today. I WAS Huck Finn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
My sister got bit by either a copperhead or cottonmouth when we were younger. I can't remember now, but it got her square on the bone of the ankle with one fang and scratched the skin with the other. Foot and lower leg was nasty and swollen for a little while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Once bitten by 4 meter wild burmese Python while hiking.
View Quote
I'll bet that was fun. Never been bitten by the big ones but have handled them that size range(biggest was about 15 feet and 100-120 pounds). The strength can't be described, and that one wasn't trying to hurt me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was bitten on the right foot by a copperhead when I was 4.
Fortunately, the fangs went through my foot and the venom was put into the sole of my shoe.
View Quote
I don't doubt a copperhead bit your shoe, but even at 4-putting fangs through a shoe AND through a foot? Must have been one hell of a big copperhead-or your shoe was bitten and parents exaggerated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep pissed off rat snake, his face ate the glass a few times before I let him go

First time handling snakes in the RTB snake house, buddies made him mad so they could watch me get bit, luckily
they stopped me skinning his ass and wrapping him around my walking stick.

This one was always cool

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it was two years ago that my aunt was weeding the garden and was bitten by what they presume was a copperhead. She never saw it but they'd killed several before and after the incident. Fortunately my cousin was visiting and found her. Then she drove like a bat out of hell to get her from the farm to civilization.

I forget how many vials of antivenin it took but it was at least three.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I know one person who's been bit by a rattler, and I know several (myself included) who have been way closer than striking distance.

From what I've seen, you don't want to be bit by anything poisonous. Lots of skin cell necrosis, and just general nastiness.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive been bittwn by tons of snakes.  None venomous though.

Lots of pythons and boas and corn and rat snakes.  And a green anaconda or two.   Dont think the kingsnakes or milksnakes ever tried to bite me.  

I spent three years working at a pet store.  I got to be the guy to handle all the new snakes to see if they were friendly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been bitten so many times I can't remember half of them. Worst one was a 16 foot retic that nailed my hand and wrapped my arm. I don't fuck with Hots and if I did I'd use a hook. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My brother picked up a pygmy rattler a few years ago. Said it really hurt. Very expensive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Several times by my red tail boa when I was a kid.  They have a nasty bite.  Plenty of times by garters and other nonvenomous snakes I caught when I was younger also but those were mild.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been bitten multiple times as a kid by the same species: California King Snake.
Every one I caught or handled just latched on and wouldn't let go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
My crazy ex gf was bitten at the pet store and acted fully like it was no big dral, despite blood and all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Bitten by Black Rat and King Snakes multiple times, probably some other nonvenomous snakes.  I no longer tend to provide them the opportunity.  I had an uncle that was supposedly bitten by a Prairie Rattlesnake, a friend that claims to have received a dry cottonmouth bite and I know a teen that was bitten by a copperhead.  I've had several close encounters with cottonmouths and copperheads, but no fangs in me yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Been bitten more times than I can remember by non-venomous snakes. Kings, rat snakes, garters, blacksnakes.

Poisonous? Not me, Jimmy got bit on the ass while taking a dump by a pygmy rattler. One cool morning, I stepped right over a pygmy rattler lying on the trail and he didn't try to bite me.

Cottonmouths are the only snake I hate, they will force you to kill them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Ill tempered water snakes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Two guys I met in the military. One was a kid when he got bit. He was hiking and stepped off a rock and got struck by a rattler on the calf. The snakes fangs got caught in is pants and he was running for a while with the snake swinging behind. Said it was the most terrifying thing in his life. Had a big nasty scar /divot in his calf.

Second guy was the "Hold my beer" kinda thing. Thought he would try to catch it. Bit him on the hand. His trigger finger was not working well anymore. I was on my way out of the unit. He said the Army was going to evaluate him for discharge. Never heard how it went.

Moral of the story, don't f*ck with poisonous snakes. You aren't the same after a bad encounter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Reposting this from another thread:

I had an elderly male relative die from a snakebite when I was a kid and I've been terrified of snakes since. I had to leave him to run miles for help and he was dying when I got back to him. I watched him die. I was holding his hand and begging him not to die when his body shuddered its last and he was gone. It was absolutely awful.

For years, I've tried to overcome this fear. I know it's mind over matter, but seeing a snake will absolutely terrify me. All I can think about is the way that snake attached itself to him and it was like it wouldn't let go. I was only a kid but I beat that snake off him and it slithered off. Leaving him there I had this overwhelming fear that the snake would come back and bite him again. It was a big ass snake and he was a hundred pounds soaking wet.

He was my first best frient, my idol, my rock, my 'let's go explorin', son', the man who taught me to ride a bike and shoot a gun, the guy who would pick me up after school for an ice cream cone out of the blue, and the guy who would sit and tell me stories about the war while he taught me to tie knots and whittle sticks and make fire without matches and sand his boat and build stuff in his barn and make repairs to his house and let me watch old black and white war movies as long as I promised I wouldn't tell my mom since she probably wouldn't like it.

We rode around town on his motorcycle with me in the side car sceaming in the wind everytime he'd gun the engine and laugh. After he died, his wife gave me the dog that was my co-pilot in the side car, a big old mutt named Hope-Girl, and she slept in my bed and kept me company when I'd cry about him. I reckon she knew and understood why I was crying. She died the day after I turned 18 and I used some money I was saving for a car of my own to have her cremated. Her urn sits beside his headstone and I have some of her ashes in a keychain that is always in my pocket.

I don't know why I shared all that. I think seeing that oldtimer get gunned down in Ohio on Easter Sunday brought all that shit back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Late '70s, small town in South Arkansas, I was 5.  We lived in town but had an empty, overgrown lot behind our house.  I was playing in the backyard with a friend, running around behind the storage shed that backed up against the empty lot. I felt something poke my ankle, right above the tongue of my shoe. Got inside, told my mom, she got my shoe and sock off and saw one small spot of blood. Cleaned it up and said, "go back outside and play."  It kept hurting so I went back in, she looked and now it was starting to swell.  She took me to the little "hospital" clinic in town, they said, probably a wasp or bee, put ice on it, elevate it.  So she did, but it kept swelling. Went back, they said, maybe a spider bite, same thing, ice and elevate.  By the time dad got home that afternoon, it was swollen past my knee, so they drove me to Texarkana, closest town with an actual hospital.  ER doc took one look and said, "any fool can tell that's a snakebite." They ordered anti-venom (anti-venin back then, they used the French/Latin spelling) but overdid it.  I had a pretty severe reaction to the serum.  Was in the hospital for about a week, but ended up with a full recovery, not even a scar.  But they told me I was allergic to the antivenom.  The day after it happened, neighbor who owned the lot killed a pygmy rattler there. They figure I stepped on him and he spun and struck, one fang in my shoe and one in me.

Twenty years later, joined the Navy. Got a red dog tag that says "snake antivenom."  Went to SERE school in California.  Safety brief before we went to the woods said there were lots of rattlesnakes around, but don't worry, because they have antivenom on hand.  I told them I'm allergic to the antivenom, they said, well you better not get bit.  We had a couple of SEALs in the class, they spent the whole first week talking about killing and eating a rattlesnake.  One of the instructors overheard them and went off on them - this is California, this is a wildlife preserve, we are not allowed to harm the wildlife!  Within 30 minutes of getting off the bus, these two guys came walking back into camp with a 4' rattlesnake.  One of them had stabbed it in the head.  When the instructor saw them, he shook his head, then said, "nothing we can do for him now, somebody build a fire."  But they had to share.  There were about 50 of us in the class, not everybody wanted some, but everybody that wanted some got some.  I had a couple of ribs.

So not only was I bitten by a snake, I got to return the favor 20 years later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#39]
A guy who worked for me son was bitten by a large timber rattler a few years before I knew them,nearly died according to his dad and almost lost his arm I saw his arm it was fucked up from necrosis and where they had split it to releave the pressure 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I have been bitten several times,  all non venomous.   I used to have per gopher and garter snakes.   They would nite when I first catch them but settled down with handling.  Loved having them around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got bitten on the glove by a regular water moccasin  many years ago , hard to get their teeth loose from a jersey glove :) caught this fella a while back https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31920/IMG-1888-190682.JPG
View Quote
Nice Copperhead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Live in Socal and never even saw a wild rattler until a couple of years ago.  That a big shiny Red Pacific in the middle of the street.  Cars were stopping to check it out.  I'm guessing just shed because it was so shiny and maybe dropped by a bird.  We had a couple of big gopher snakes come up through a couple of yards and take up residence in y front yard for a while.  They liked the water meter box, not sure how they fit through the small lift hole.  And a gopher hole.  One would sit in it and zip backwards back into it if it saw you.  Or into a rose bush.  I wasn't about to try to get a gopher snake out of a rose bush.  Neighbors kept asking if I had my snakes.  My wife was completely not amused.  Neighbor's son got tagged by a copperhead while he was visiting friends "back east" but nothing came of t.  My dad brought home a really big gopher snake in a paper bag one of the other cops had caught in a local park.  It snagged him in the police station while "the men" were "impressing" the dispatchers and clerks.  Got a rather nasty little infection for a while and then squeezed out a tooth a week or so later.

There's another thread about dowsers, etc., out there.  Saw a Scoutmaster levitate at a campground near home.  Took a group of brand new cubs and parents -I'd been roped into helping start the pack because a couple of us had that old time scout experience and none of the parents did.  Saw a number of snakes but no rattlers but they were in the area so we had to be careful.  So one kid calls out he'd seen another big snake and the scoutmaster was coming over to the kid to get pointed towards it.  As he crossed the lawn, he asked where?  and the kid said right there and pointed at his feet.  Yup.  A really big gopher snake. Don't know how he missed it at first.  I think he said some non-traditional scout words and had some really fancy footwork coming down to miss it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I haven't been bitten by any snakes. I watched my Dad get tagged on the finger by a bull snake when I was a kid, broke a little skin and bled. The cussing was the best part, he was mad. 

I tend to keep my distance even with non venomous snakes, I don't really want to mess with them, just watch them. No reason for me to bother them. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146991/image-190872.JPG
View Quote
I have an odd compulsion I cannot resist.
If I see a snake, I feel a burning need to catch it. Same with snapping turtles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never been bitten but my brother has been bitten twice by black snakes. Not venomous, but apparently their mouths have a ton of bacteria in them as he had fevers and the runs for a couple days afterwards both times.
View Quote
Garter snake bites infect every time in my experience.
And the little bastards shit on you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All the time when I was a kid. I had dozens of snakes. They cleared the woods across the canal from our house and built a school. They couldn't understand why they had a constant snake problem. The head Nun would call my Mom and I'd go over and wrangle them. Gave me some street cred at the school. Alter Boy/Snake Wrangler. Teacher got down hard on my case one year so I put one in her desk at lunch. We had a Herpetologist guy I would call when I found the Rattlers and Moccasins and he'd come collect those for research. Never got bit by a poisonous one because Mom made sure I could identify snakes. Still have a 40 year old tanned Rattler skin that me and my Mom skinned out, tacked to a board, scraped, cleaned and soaked in baby oil. Still supple after all these years. I feel sorry for kids today. I WAS Huck Finn.
View Quote
There are NO poisonous snakes.

You can safely eat any of them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#46]
My cousin almost died from a western diamondback rattler bite.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Many times. Countless wild black snake bites. Always would catch them. They would take a swing or two then calm down. My captive bred black snake gave me two hunger strikes when we went away for a ten day trip.

As far as the effects, my cats do more damage when they play rough. My CB black rat was 7 feet long and his head about half dollar size. His looks were pretty intimidating to those that don't know snakes. His bite was pretty benign. Now he did wrap my arm up and easily cut off circulation. In fact, this constricting power was surprising. He was incredibly strong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I encountered a rattler crossing the street in my neighborhood tonight. Let him go about his business.

My wife was almost bit by a diamondback one evening while we were goofing off on a trail. Almost stepped on it. We left it to die another day.

Seen many a rattler and copperhead in the underbrush. Usually people just walk by - oblivious. (Stay out of the dunes at the beach)

An older fella I used to know showed me his foot where he had been bitten by a rattled as a child. Very badly disfigured...

When I was younger we'd go to the pedernales river during the summer nights to hunt moccasins. We'd kill about ten each trip. Lotta close calls.... they were everywhere! I don't kill snakes these days. They have a tough life. Plus they help keep the Californians away

Been bit many times by non venomous snakes. Rat snakes are some mean ass snakes...Ok
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Yea, me. My brother's 5 ft. red tailed boa ended up in my room one day. I got bit trying to remove it. Much like Indiana, I hate snakes. Just touching it was extremely unpleasant. It's a non-poisonous snake but I got the bite checked out just to make sure everything was kosher.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top