Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I am still trying to get my Dad's service records.  The on-line submissions to Vetrecs looked promising but I got e-mail back the next day saying:

Thank you for contacting the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we were previously unable to process your request as on-site staffing levels were significantly decreased.  On March 7, 2022, the NPRC resumed normal operations.  

They said I needed to fill out the paper NA Form 13075 and mail it in.  Does anyone know if you need a service number for the 13075 form?  I will try to look thru my Dad's stuff, but I think a lot of it is missing.  I remember seeing his dog tags a long time ago when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My FIL graduated from West Point in 1946. Chose to go Air Force when the services split. Flew an F-86 Sabre in Korea.

Attachment Attached File

Never spoke to me of his exploits or his subsequent career, but I never pried. My grandfather was in the Medical Corp in WWI, 79th Infantry Division ("Cross of Lorraine"). He wouldn't speak of his time there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My FIL was in WW2 and Korea, and my Dad was in Korea.  Never had anything good to say about it.  After my father passed away, we were visiting DC and went to the Korean War memorial, the guys walking through the rice paddy.  While we were there, this guy about my dads age, so 80s, is standing next to us.  He starts muttering under his breath, "Those goddamned ponchos.  Every step, you leg would hit them and the cold water would run straight into your boot top.  I hated those fucking things"  Then turns around and walks away.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My FIL graduated from West Point in 1946. Chose to go Air Force when the services split. Flew an F-86 Sabre in Korea.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/3_JPG-2754161.JPG

View Quote

was his name Carl Locklin Br.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Dad missed Korea by 12 days.  He got pneumonia in basic.  The rest of his class got sent to Korea, he got 'recycled' to the next class being sent to Germany.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy about that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]

1951 Korean War Navy Carrier Operations
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Dad on Okinawa during the war, 93rd Bomb Squadron.

Some of the "ladies" that he got to work on.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Three stories from my grandpa who served in Korea. Before he passed I had him sit down and recorded 14 hours of video of him telling stories about his time. The catch was I couldn't show them to anyone until he passed away. I am currently working on getting them into a sharable format. Here are three stories that stand out.

Early on in the war he wasn't on the front line and to burn some time he would take the limited number of shotgun shells his unit was issued and he would go hunt pheasant because it was one of his favorite activies before the war.  This provided fresh meat to his unit, which he stated was usually rare. Well one day he is walking back into the camp with two pheasants under his coat but a head was hanging out and as he walked past a jeep with a high ranking officer sitting in it he was questioned about the pheasant. Fearing he was about to be in major trouble he explained he got lucky and killed two. The officer called him over to his tent and took the pheasants, had them cooked and they ate together while the officer asked if he could kill them regularly. My grandpa explained that he could but he was limited on the number of rounds he had for the shotgun. For the next two months the officer provided him with all the rounds he needed for the shotgun and his sole assignment was killing pheasants to feed the camp, he had two korean kids assigned to him to carry pheasants back to camp. He estimated he killed 2000 pheasants over those two months and the camp ate pheasant for nearly every meal. When asked what he was most proud of during his service he stated that feeding all those guys freezing and starving in the camp was what he felt like was his biggest accomplishment.

He was reassigned towards the front later in the war and another story he told me that stuck with me was this one. One night he and a few buddies had been assigned to an outpost in front of the frontline. The idea was that it would likely be overrun but they would provide warning to the main line of the incoming attack. ( Sorry I don't remember what he called this outpost). On his second night assigned to it, he and two other buddies came up with the plan to hang tin cans filled with rocks from the barbed wire surrounding the outpost. Thinking that this would warn them if anyone was trying to sneak in. A few hours after dark the wind started blowing and all the cans were of course rattling like crazy. He said that was one of the longest nights of his life.

Lastly, my grandpa's father had purchased him a 1911 of some type after he found out he was going to Korea. All I know is it was a Colt and he believes it was a commander model with a short barrel. He carried it during his service and he stated it saved his life once. He was very proud of the fact that he could load it up and "keep a can bouncing" for the entire magazine. Well fast forward to my grandpa getting injured and knowing he was going to be sent home. He had a friend who he called "Rossi the Wop" and stated he was the only italian I ever liked.  They had gone through basic together and served together for most of the war. As my grandpa was about to get sent home he gave the Colt to "Rossi" with the promise that he would give it back once they were both stateside. Sadly Rossi did not survive the war and the colt was lost as far was we know.  My grandpa stated he hoped Rossi had used it before he died, but also stated quite a few times that it was typical of an Italian to not give something back and not hold up their deal. ( This was obviously a joke, but someone may not catch the humor).
View Quote

My late hunting buddy was a marine in Korea and he told me about shooting Pheasants in Korea during the war.  I wished i had asked him more about all the details of his time there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Russian PPSh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My grandfather was there as an ANGLICO from near the start through Inchon and the Reservoir, and rotated home during the punchbowl. Never talked too much about it except that at the Reservoir it was very cold, that calling in gunfire from cruisers was impressive, and that he got to speak to Chesty a couple times. His back was full of grenade fragments that worked themselves out for years after. Never got a PH because something like that wasn't near enough to take you off the line.

In the documentary Chosin there's some video of him walking down the line with a carbine and what looks like radio gear on his back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember my Dad telling me he hated the TV show MASH.  He felt it made fun of their experience in Korea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
My Mother in Law carried her little brother on her back when her family walked from Gimpo to Busan with the communists on their heels. They
had what they could carry. They were poor and lost everything they could not carry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My Dad arrived at Camp Fuji, Japan too late to go to Korea.  Here he is at Camp Pendleton, in the front row, second from the right.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Russian PPSh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Russian PPSh?

Or a Chinese(Type 50) or North Korean(Type 49) copy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
my uncle served with the Aussies in Korea and Vietnam.
I remember he came to Canada to visit and said while in Korea for "kicks" he and his "mates" would sneak into a Chicom
camp at night and throw grenades and fire their guns and scoot.

in 'Nam he told his best buddy that if they survived he would marry his mate's sister,which he said he did.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Army or Jarhead?

I'm going with Jarhead due to the older leather M1907 style sling...a helmet cover would have been a clincher.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#20]

USS Boxer Operations during the Korean War (1953)
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Are those guys wearing the M1951 combat uniform?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#23]
My FIL was a Marine in Korea and until I met my wife, he would not talk to anyone about the war.  I asked a lot of questions and he would answer me in this way:  I would ask him something and he would stare out the window, take a long drag on his cigarette and then answer me while still staring out the window.  

When he passed away January 1, 2003, he was living with a lady, my wifes mom passed away in 1985, and his lady friend kept the house and all of his medals and pictures, we dont have any thing now of his from the war.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#24]
My FIL was a Marine in Korea and until I met my wife, he would not talk to anyone about the war.  I asked a lot of questions and he would answer me in this way:  I would ask him something and he would stare out the window, take a long drag on his cigarette and then answer me while still staring out the window.  

When he passed away January 1, 2003, he was living with a lady, my wifes mom passed away in 1985, and his lady friend kept the house and all of his medals and pictures, we dont have any thing now of his from the war.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Wounded B-29 gunner loads his Colt SAA above North Korea, just in case
B-29 gunner with a sidearm from another century during a Korean War raid on August 16th 1950

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Lt. Col. Wm H. Isbell Jr. was my Grandfather's older brother. KIA in N. Korea 10/14/52.  There is a plaque I remember seeing at West Point about him while visiting the academy as a kid.

He was USMA class of '31 and commissioned into Field Artillery. Family lore is that he was blacklisted and barred from further promotion for leaving his wife for a comely British secretary during WWII.

The story as told by my Grandfather who heard it from Bill's peers was that he took command of an infantry unit who had lost their officers and proceeded to lead a charge up a hill against N. Korean positions. A satchel charge evidently killed him as their push reached the crest and his body was left behind as US troops withdrew. While his body was later recovered, his personal belonging were looted by the commies.

Gramps(WW2 vet himself) felt that his brother was trying to make his mark or die trying. I remember him saying he would have likely been court martialed if he failed and lived as he had no business being there as an older artillery O5 but, would've been likely decorated and promoted for success.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

William Brophy with his personally purchased Pre-64 Winchester model 70  "bull gun" with 10X Unertl in Korea.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#28]
A U.S. Marine orders captured North Koreans to keep their hands up on September 20, 1950. In the background is one of the tanks which came ashore in the assault at Inchon.

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#29]

That picture may have been taken during the Korean War timeframe, but it wasn't taken in Korea. The only Airborne unit deployed to Korea was the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team "The Rakkasans."
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is interesting so many say their relatives would not speak of the war. My father would tell of his experiences in a very matter of fact manner. He was an infantryman, a rifleman and a BAR gunner. He was badly wounded in the Battle of Pork Chop Hill.  
 Every able bodied man in my family is expected to serve at least one hitch. My father and my uncles shared their stories so the next generation would know what to expect and how to deal with it.
View Quote

My grandfather said very little about his time. He was an ANGLICO and was there from near the start through Inchon and the Reservoir. We got him to the museum at Quantico and he opened up a bit, but not much. Mostly general stuff.

As a history major, my mom would always try to get me to do research and ask him questions, and the more I read the less I wanted to, really. It's like, where should we start? The part where you tied your buddies' bodies to tanks and shit so they could keep rolling down the MSR? Or fighting with a back full of grenade frag because that wasn't enough to get taken off the line, let alone actually get treated?

Couple years after he died we did found about 15 seconds of video of him in the documentary Chosin walking down the MSR. Need to get a video/graphics design buddy to make capture a picture out of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#31]
28 Heroes documentary article

Attachment Attached File

I watched this documentary on Amazon Prime last night.
Incredible story of Canadian unit in Korea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I was down at the Army War College / US Army Heritage Center in Carlisle, Pa the other day and thought this would be appropriate for this thread.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#33]
A worthy bump.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I do not know the particulars, but I like this picture of USAF guys in Korea, armed with carbines and an M3 smg. My FIL was in Korea as an airman at a forward radar site, he was issued a carbine. My wife has a picture of him with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I do not know the particulars, but I like this picture of USAF guys in Korea, armed with carbines and an M3 smg. My FIL was in Korea as an airman at a forward radar site, he was issued a carbine. My wife has a picture of him with it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312/usaf_korea_Carbines_jpg-2794762.JPG
View Quote

Looks post 1953, no?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top