Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Korean lady shot a black girl from 300 yards away? What happened?

She was acquitted. Almost caused another riot.

I've never heard of this. Where can I find some info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins

Sure that's the right incident, Dru?
The linked incident has her shooting a suspected shoplifter from 3ft and she wasn't acquited, but got a very light sentance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

South Korea throws some world-class riots.
View Quote
Some insane fire throwing shit from what I recall seeing video of, their protests are something else too...

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The linked incident has her shooting a suspected shoplifter from 3ft and she wasn't acquited, but got a very light sentance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Korean lady shot a black girl from 300 yards away? What happened?

She was acquitted. Almost caused another riot.

I've never heard of this. Where can I find some info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins

You are correct...........wrong incident.

I just remembered the Latasha harlins case happened around the same time frame, so there was already bad blood and tempers soaring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've seen SKSs in abundance

ETA- Guess I had selective memory...

View Quote

Something tells me the guy on the left is cool under pressure.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just remembered the Latasha harlins case happened around the same time frame, so there was already bad blood and tempers soaring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was trying to update from tablet without much luck,

There's a death database from the riots out there, I do believe there are several deaths that are from 'higher powered rifles' that are unsolved. One theory I did see was from Koreans shooting at longer ranges to try and put distance between them and the looters. I think I got these stories crossed/combined into one story.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never heard that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any info on successful thwarting of break ins or theft? Or is all that off the books for obvious reasons?

IIRC they held off the looters until the police came and made them leave, assuring them that they would protect their stores.  The stores were looted and burned within hours.  At least that is my recollection, I am getting old and I may be mistaken.

Never heard that.

Me neither, and I was there with M-16A1 in hand, and liaisoned with the Korean locals .  Local business owners were not chased away for being armed, and faired much than the undefended...targets.  Ghetto Storm aka Operation: Just Because-was truly surreal, and filled with some neat memories.

If you want war stories of GARDEN-PLOT from either a 7th ID, USMC or Cal-Guard perspective, IM me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It appears it wasn't just the Koreans either......

http://i.imgur.com/7ufMwPY.jpg

Bet these guys wish they had body armour.... Shot in a gun battle with papa lima's (Possible Looters) protecting their business!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zKBbtj9rWrU/Sfisq2-NkwI/AAAAAAAAB70/zR5KP2HJOo0/s400/wEdSungLee.jpg
View Quote

The Koreans in the bottom picture look like they were murdered in cold blood, not in battle. Look at poses and lack of weapons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's a death database from the riots out there, I do believe there are several deaths that are from 'higher powered rifles' that are unsolved. One theory I did see was from Koreans shooting at longer ranges to try and put distance between them and the looters. I think I got these stories crossed/combined into one story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was also a story about a store owner using an illegal mg, an uzi I think, to defend his store. He didn't get charged for shooting, but for possession of it, and even then, he never served time or payed a fine, they simply confiscated it. At least thats how the story goes. Haven't read that in years. Think it was mentioned on here before.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that the photo of koreans shot up was from a friendly fire incident -

they were in a car going to help protect some businesses, when they got mistakenly targeted by mistake when they entered the area, while some stuff was going on.
there was this list of 60 deaths that occured that was linked to the riot time period.

I didn't recall any saying anything about high powered rifles, though many talk about bullets from somewhere striking individuals, and killing them.

http://spreadsheets.latimes.com/la-riots-deaths/
after the riots, everything went up several degrees regarding political correctness and "race relations" in la
and as far as firearms.... there really were not that many ar's or ak's back then. while they may have been in movies a lot, the average gun owner in la at that time would have been a hunter, or had a handgun or shotgun for self defense. at the ranges, ar's and ak's were a minority compared to all the other bolt action and other rifles back then.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Me neither, and I was there with M-16A1 in hand, and liaisoned with the Korean locals .  Local business owners were not chased away for being armed, and faired much than the undefended...targets.  Ghetto Storm aka Operation: Just Because-was truly surreal, and filled with some neat memories.

If you want war stories of GARDEN-PLOT from either a 7th ID, USMC or Cal-Guard perspective, IM me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any info on successful thwarting of break ins or theft? Or is all that off the books for obvious reasons?

IIRC they held off the looters until the police came and made them leave, assuring them that they would protect their stores.  The stores were looted and burned within hours.  At least that is my recollection, I am getting old and I may be mistaken.

Never heard that.

I would love to hear those stories.

Since you were there, what was bolt/shotgun vs AK/AR ratio?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I was too young to really comprehend what was happened at the time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think that the photo of koreans shot up was from a friendly fire incident -

they were in a car going to help protect some businesses, when they got mistakenly targeted by mistake when they entered the area, while some stuff was going on.

there was this list of 60 deaths that occured that was linked to the riot time period.

I didn't recall any saying anything about high powered rifles, though many talk about bullets from somewhere striking individuals, and killing them.

http://spreadsheets.latimes.com/la-riots-deaths/

after the riots, everything went up several degrees regarding political correctness and "race relations" in la

and as far as firearms.... there really were not that many ar's or ak's back then. while they may have been in movies a lot, the average gun owner in la at that time would have been a hunter, or had a handgun or shotgun for self defense. at the ranges, ar's and ak's were a minority compared to all the other bolt action and other rifles back then.

View Quote

I think you're right...... link of pic has Ed song lee:

Edward Song Lee

TIME: 9:50 p.m. LOCATION: Near corner of Third Street and Hobart Boulevard, Wilshire District

Lee, 18, a Korean-American living with his mom in the Wilshire District, was out with three friends when they got into a fight with another group of Koreans. Police responded to the gunfight and exchanged fire with both groups. Lee suffered two fatal hits to the chest as he sat in the front seat of a car. Someone in the rival group shot him. Detectives later learned the gun battle was a tragic mistake. Each group had been protecting Korean-owned stores and mistook the other for looters. Police made an arrest; no charges filed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of these l.a. riot photos look like they could double as black hawk down photos.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and today he is a celebrated actor and treated like a star instead of a thug
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have heard several times that the arson targeted Korean business.

Ice Cube fans.

So don’t follow me up and down your market

Or your little chop suey ass will be a target

Of a nationwide boycott.

Juice with the people, that’s what the boy got.

So pay respect to the black fist

Or we’ll burn your store right down to a crisp.

And then we’ll see ya…

‘Cause you can’t turn the ghetto into black Korea.

----"Black Korea" by Ice Cube, from the 1991 album, DeathCertificate.

and today he is a celebrated actor and treated like a star instead of a thug
He was a studio thug like Dre & Snoop.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]

It was like the Pomona gun show, with lots of cigarettes.  Nothing too exotic, but lots of HK, AK, Daewoo, and shotguns galore.  Kind of Mad Max.  AWESOME.

Some areas were more prone to violence than others, but in my anecdotal experience, by the time the guys in camouflage showed up, it was 80% over.

We rolled in, during evening number 2.  Smoke hung in the air.  Most of the fires were out by then, or smoldering down to embers.

It pains me...if only we were allowed in earlier...

FM 19-15 was in effect.  Riot visors on PAGST helmets for everyone.  Nylon flak jackets or PAGST vests for everyone.  MPs and certain details (grab/snatch the agitator) had wooden straight batons.  The rest of my units was mostly M-16A1 and/or  1911.  Due to issues with the ASPs and not wanting a repeat of Watts, generally, only one partial magazine of ball was issued, and most rifles had the semi auto restrictor plate installed  (a chrome plated stamping that would prevent the selector from going to the AUTO position, mounted between the grip and the lower).  Sorry, no belt feds, grease guns, or shotguns from my unit got deployed.  Yes, grease-guns and 1911 were still in our MTOE at the time.

Koreans and others in urban defense mode went to sling arms, or discreetly carried.  Prudent, but we were not there to disarm anybody but "hostiles".  Hostiles were very and painfully obvious.  Beady eyed hard looks, posturing, sending in junior hood rats to question and probe us (8 year old to me-Hey man, you gots  bullets for ‘dem things?) , etc.  Occasional bottle toss, and F-U gesture.  Total 3rd world jackass behavior.

Fortunately even in the riot zone the good folks, outnumbered the bad.

ROE, was reasonable.  If they are nice, if they were obvious residents, we did not jack with them at all.  Mutual politeness and respect.  And they reciprocated-we were treated like heroes.  We had war-gamed and rehearsed:  if and when we needed to go full speed, it was going to be either hands on, and snatch the douche bag, or just flat out kill them.  D-E-D.  Right there.
(Did I mention, many of us just got back from the ‘Storm, and pissed off in general?  Bart Simpson had been banging our wives and girlfriends, according to Saddam, so we were still a little traumatized.  Plus, we had Panama and Grenada vets too.)

OPSEC was not in effect.  We rolled into one neighborhood, secured the locally surviving business area/strip mall, and promptly little old ladies started bringing us casseroles.  Yes...casseroles.  At first, we were like...um, should we?  A couple of guys were concerned that they would be laced with rat poison, etc.  Some brave soul said "Thank you!"  and the casseroles were promptly consumed.  Awesome.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was like the Pomona gun show, with lots of cigarettes.  Nothing too exotic, but lots of HK, AK, Daewoo, and shotguns galore.  Kind of Mad Max.  AWESOME.

-SNIP-

View Quote

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your reply. It's always best to hear from someone that was actually there.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
There were a few riots in Atlanta at the time, but it got squashed pretty quick and mostly turned into people getting their faces on tv to complain about "oppression"...............nothing like what happened in California though
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top