Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
People around here are grabbing the prepared food. Fatness and the beetus will go up in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You are wasting good meat or your freezer is crap.
View Quote

No kidding.. 90 days is crazy, especially if you are going over the top double wrapping, etc. Maybe i can accept a small drop in "quality" (though i have never felt a problem with older meat at all) more than others, but even conservative guides say 6-8 months unless it is totally freezer burnt..

Quoted:
We still have meat around here for now.  Central Florida.  What I find interesting is that Walmart is running out while Publix is stocked consistently.  Must be different supply chains.
View Quote

Here in Pinellas, i cant figure it out.  Costco had every cut you could want, including the big packs of ground.  But a publix just up the street was wiped out of its ground, and looked pretty lean all around.  Maybe different chains, or different buyers, but it was a stark contrast. Thankfully i was all set, but I could see honest people panicked if they only shopped at that store (or others in the area).
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
Goodbye obesity and diabetes.  Well, there’s a chance.
View Quote

Meat is largely not what's causing those things. If you go to McDonald's and order a Quarter Pounder meal, the burger patty is probably the healthiest thing you're getting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Papa51:

Same here. We buy a half a cow twice a year.  Just picked it up from my beef/game processor yesterday.  Good news is his business is booming through all this, which is great to see for him and his family.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Papa51:
Originally Posted By tbonifie:
Just bought a half cow yesterday.

Another half reserved for Mid-July.

You can't take the beef from me!!!!

Same here. We buy a half a cow twice a year.  Just picked it up from my beef/game processor yesterday.  Good news is his business is booming through all this, which is great to see for him and his family.

How much freezer space does that take? Just bought a 5.1 cuft freezer and have a 1/8 cow and 1/8 pig on the way, not worried about running out of space with what I've already ordered (plus a few things I already had in my kitchen freezer that I threw in there) but wondering if I should go ahead and order more before I see how much space I have left.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Meat packing plants aren't having issues because they were shut down. As far as I'm aware they were all categorized as essential so they kept operating like normal.
View Quote

Dude stop it, seriously, stop.

If I can't blame the doomerstm and only the doomerstm for the meat supply getting interrupted then I'll have to admit this is a tad more serious than the flu.
I've got way to much ego invested for that to happen.

Stop it now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

Meat is largely not what's causing those things. If you go to McDonald's and order a Quarter Pounder meal, the burger patty is probably the healthiest thing you're getting.
View Quote

Amen... a carnivore diet is the best choice i ever made, especially for my health..
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The great meat panic of 2020!
!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Everybody is out of meat so they say. In Belton Raymore Missouri to South of Kansas City. Walmart was out of meat. Well 2 miles down the road Constantino Price Chopper had plenty of meat
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
A large beef plant in northern Colorado re-opened last week, and there has been no end-of-the-world news in the shit-stirring Denver paper yet.

They had a picture from the plant in an article with the "wash your hands" sign in eleventeen different languages

https://www.denverpost.com/?s=jbs&orderby=date&order=desc
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bugy:

While I'm sure what you're saying is true, the next question is: who exactly are these employees? Are they Americans? Are they Mexican? Are they Chinese?

It is strange that such a large percentage of ALL the cases in North Dakota are Smithfield Employees. Is it a coincidence?

Why was the outbreak so concentrated in this one group of people.

Spoiler: My theory is that these are Chinese people working in the plant, and they aren't washing their hands. That's why they all got sick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mrcatbert:
Originally Posted By AKengineer:
Doomers get to reap the result of giving up freedom for the illusion of safety. Let them eat surgical masks.

Sorry, FB, but the meat packing facilities were all considered essential and not shut down. They closed because employees actually got sick. 

Generally it’s a bad idea to have sick people slaughtering/processing/packing your food supply. We have rules against that - even if they just have the flu.

While I'm sure what you're saying is true, the next question is: who exactly are these employees? Are they Americans? Are they Mexican? Are they Chinese?

It is strange that such a large percentage of ALL the cases in North Dakota are Smithfield Employees. Is it a coincidence?

Spoiler: My theory is that these are Chinese people working in the plant, and they aren't washing their hands. That's why they all got sick.

$1000 a week covid unemployment to sit home is why. No further investigation needed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ordersman:

and you aren't gonna let us know which brand it is ????
View Quote

Fosters is well known for their employment standards. Lots of 3rd world labor and all. Kind of assumed people knew that. Although my buddy doesn’t work for Foster.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
A gal who works for me has a son selling fresh beef for 5 bucks a lb that he raised and processed.

I told her good for him, I hope he sells it all but I wasn’t that hungry yet
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
Quick!!!!!!!  RUN OUT AND BUY 10 TIMES THE AMOUNT YOU USUALLY BUY AS A HEDGE AGAINST SHORTAGES!!!!!!
View Quote

That would require me buying 1000 lbs as I try to keep 80-100 lbs on hand.

I don’t have that much freezer space.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

How much freezer space does that take? Just bought a 5.1 cuft freezer and have a 1/8 cow and 1/8 pig on the way, not worried about running out of space with what I've already ordered (plus a few things I already had in my kitchen freezer that I threw in there) but wondering if I should go ahead and order more before I see how much space I have left.
View Quote

We have 2 freezer units (~32sq .ft. and ~24sq. ft.), in addition to two standard size refrigerator freezer stacks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:

Oh, look, more people who allow doomers to life rent free in their heads.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:
Doomers get to reap the result of giving up freedom for the illusion of safety. Let them eat surgical masks.

Oh, look, more people who allow doomers to life rent free in their heads.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a shitton of meat in the freezer.  Mostly deer.  I have two frozen pork butts I need to do something with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:

Smithfield is in SD. I think your theory is a bit of a stretch. 

They look like a pretty normal group of people working at a plant. 

https://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/business/smithfield-foods-invest-45-million-south-dakota-operations
View Quote

Remember reading an article where they stated there was a visit from their Chinese investors a week or two before people started popping positive.  I could have remembered it incorrectly but that is what I remembered.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Our Costco was out of most common cuts of meat, asked the wife to get our normal pack of chicken breast, pack of ground beef, stack of burgers, pack of ny strips and a pork tenderloin. She came home with only a rotisserie chicken because everything was sold out. She said the freezer with the red packaged 6 pack of chicken breast was filled with hot dogs. They told her to come back early the next day because they were alrationinv what they put out. Cincinnati.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Wendys by me monday had only chicken. Sold out of beef.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It's 5/10, and I can still buy lots of types of meat.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thing Im a vegan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By artburg:
Good thing Im a vegan. 
View Quote

Thank you for telling us.  I'm sure you normally keep it private.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By XJ:
A large beef plant in northern Colorado re-opened last week, and there has been no end-of-the-world news in the shit-stirring Denver paper yet.

They had a picture from the plant in an article with the "wash your hands" sign in eleventeen different languages 

https://www.denverpost.com/?s=jbs&orderby=date&order=desc
View Quote

King Stoopids, Walmart, and Safeway were all picked over this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By artburg:
Good thing Im a vegan. 
View Quote

Tube steak might still count.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mrcatbert:

Sorry, FB, but the meat packing facilities were all considered essential and not shut down. They closed because employees actually got sick. 

Generally it’s a bad idea to have sick people slaughtering/processing/packing your food supply. We have rules against that - even if they just have the flu.
View Quote

Don't worry, he doesn't let facts get in the way of his fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Mismanagement of the national food supply did not happen in a vacuum. The government destroyed the safety locks the free market usually has on supply disruption.
View Quote

Employees getting sick is not mismanagement.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Devils_Advocate:

Thank you for telling us.  I'm sure you normally keep it private.  
View Quote

I don’t get why people get all bent out of shape over vegans.  I had my dog on a vegan diet and she loves it.  Chasing them down for dinner really gets the pup hungry.  

Seriously though, I really hope the OP wasn’t serious.  If not, they deserve a golf clap for being a stereotypical vegan meme.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

One Industry report I read some of the meat inspectors got the virus. Workers can be replaced but the inspectors not so easy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#29]
It was a tough decision, did we want to butcher the turkey, goat or ram? The ram lost this time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Our local Wendy's was out 2weeks ago but last week was back to normal. I suspect it is a roving outage.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Our costco (SW WA) was 100% out of fresh beef.  They had a very very small supply of packaged hamburger and frozen ground beef. They were limiting purchases to 1 item each. 3 items total.

Chicken was VERY low too. Pork was Low but you at least had some fresh stuff and ribs.  The entire department was rearranged and filled with other items.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
There is only a shortage in the sense that everyone has credit cards and freezers full of meat. There is only so much freezer space though. These idiots will be eating freezer burned steaks for years.
View Quote

I dunno. Foodsavers and bags have become scarce too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#33]
A local Tyson plant had 900 positive tests. Oddly enough, none of the 6/7 surrounding towns that most all of these employees live in, have any major spikes. My take, they simply tested the meat plant, and were all “OMG! All the positives!! This is so shocking!”. When in reality, if they would test everyone else in the county/state, they would get the “OMG! Everyone is testing positive and either has it, or has already had it!. Select testing at it finest, which allows for DOOM reporting, which keeps the people scared. Then add in the $900 per week unemployment and ta-da, you have not enough workers to keep the plant going 100%.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#34]
my question : if the meat plant people tested positive, but still felt Ok going to work, why stop them?  sounds like a manufactured problem.  I didnt hear about a spike in hospitalizations/deaths, only confirmed cases.  getting to be like a confirmed case of the common cold will cause a level 5 shitstorm.

Local costco had no beef as of yesterday, publix still had fresh beef, but walmart and target were low and had limits on beef.

my local butcher had beef as usual, but also a huge fucking line.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
If Fast Food stores are running out of meat, that’s a mismanagement on the stores behalf. Here the We days close to me has run out of beef foe the second time in as many weeks. I called the store two miles away and the manager there said she was stocked full with another order going in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Loki41872:
I thawed and cooked some T Bones last week that were labelled "March 5th 2018". They were double bagged and vac packed. They tasted just like fresh ones. 90 days? Damn, that's a waste of meat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Loki41872:
Originally Posted By tbonifie:
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days. 

You running a restaurant or something?

Or a crappy freezer?

If not, you're throwing away perfectly good food and money.
I thawed and cooked some T Bones last week that were labelled "March 5th 2018". They were double bagged and vac packed. They tasted just like fresh ones. 90 days? Damn, that's a waste of meat.

Eating lamb packed and frozen in 2015... Tastes like it just left the butcher.
Properly packed frozen meat lasts for several years in the deep freezer.

My Freezer is full to the top of sausage, burger, steaks, bacon, goat, lamb, etc, etc....
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#37]
my Subzero units and walk-ins are amply stocked.  In fact, my super model girlfriend was just in one and coulda cut glass with her nipples.  I have enough prime cuts and assorted game from my multi continent hunts to last a good while.  We'll probably stock up with more provisions for the yachts (two is one) we're taking on a 6 month surfing vacation which should keep us isolated more than most.    Its hard to be aloneotgether# but we're managing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
my Subzero units and walk-ins are amply stocked.  In fact, my super model girlfriend was just in one and coulda cut glass with her nipples.  I have enough prime cuts and assorted game from my multi continent hunts to last a good while.  We'll probably stock up with more provisions for the yachts (two is one) we're taking on a 6 month surfing vacation which should keep us isolated more than most.    Its hard to be aloneotgether# but we're managing.
View Quote

The GF could only cut glass with those nipples?  Your deep freeze needs adjusted, my friend.  I’ll get with my butler and have his manservant get in touch with your guys.  They can and should go much colder and perkier.  I’ve got some 40,000 year aged frozen wooly mammoth steaks in the deep freeze right now.  Just waiting for the researchers to get back to me on what kind of compound butter goes best with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got back from the Everett WA Costco.

No beef other than the premade dishes. The only chicken was chicken wings. Some lamb and the salmon is in double sized packages (5-6 lbs at $10.99/lb).
Limits of 3 meat items per person.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#40]
There's is (or will be) a shortage of consumer packaged meat along with a glut of live animals. The bottle neck is the processing plants being shut down.
Now, if you have the ability to take the live animal and process it for the freezer, is the time to buy. Pork producers are almost giving hogs away. The beef market is doing a little better because the beef plants weren't hit as hard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By StevesZZ5:
As for places like Wendy’s and McDonalds, fat fucks and unhealthy fucks will be better off.

I find it hilarious and sad at the same time how so many (many here in GD) were so worried about restaurants closing down.  

Fast food starting to tank?  I find that COMPLETELY hilarious!

I’m sure the resident fatties will decry my post.

View Quote

I rarely eat at fast food places, but you really don't need to cheer so loudly for them shutting down.

When they shut down people are out of jobs.  Also, suppliers lose sales because closed restaurants aren't buying anything!  If enough of them close down, suppliers will lay people off.  And those newly unemployed aren't spending money to buy goods and services, so other businesses start hurting.  And down the toilet our economy goes!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#43]
More business for Gina!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#44]
No meat at Kroger this weekend, only ground beef
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#45]
My grocery store had everything in stock on Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I hit up a CostCo when it opened yesterday (Sunday), very little red meat.  They did have some ground round, but I figure there was less than 10 packages of that.

The first time I went shopping in oh - 8 weeks for food.  The store was stocked, but you could see a lot of fresh meat just not in stock.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DoverGunner:
Everybody is out of meat so they say. In Belton Raymore Missouri to South of Kansas City. Walmart was out of meat. Well 2 miles down the road Constantino Price Chopper had plenty of meat
View Quote

@DoverGunner howdy neighbor. Picked up 2 pork shoulders for $.97 a pound at HyVee on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:

Alphonso has had many pounds of meat in him......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206146/85191ABA-6DBF-4422-8063-F793B187CD5C_jpe-1402695.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ahnglw:
Originally Posted By wcc123:
Should have no effect on McDonalds. They have not had a pound of meat in their stores in 30 years.

Alphonso has had many pounds of meat in him......https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206146/85191ABA-6DBF-4422-8063-F793B187CD5C_jpe-1402695.JPG

Oh snap looks like he likes the meat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By StevesZZ5:
As for places like Wendy’s and McDonalds, fat fucks and unhealthy fucks will be better off.

I find it hilarious and sad at the same time how so many (many here in GD) were so worried about restaurants closing down.  

Fast food starting to tank?  I find that COMPLETELY hilarious!

I’m sure the resident fatties will decry my post.

View Quote

I’m not a vegan.  I don’t prefer carbs. I’m nit eating an estrogen soaked soy burger. That means lots of eggs and canned meat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

We have a STRICT 90 day rule on frozen beef. Double sealed, vacuum packed and it's trash in 90 days. 
View Quote

Hell I just cooked some fajitas that were three years old vac packed and they were damn good.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top