Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to say this guys but as a non-LE this really grinds my gears, since again provides special rights to, or rather doesn't erode the rights of LE vs. us plebes.

Retired should have no more or less privilege than the average Joe.   Oh, you pissed off lots of cartels, etc. with a massive bust at some point and there is a price on your head? Sorry.  Move to a state that respects your rights more and go thru the same CCW permit process as the rest of us.  I guess if it is a big enough price I could be OK with you getting disappeared in the witness protection program.
View Quote

here you go!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
NYPD can carry on vacation in Texas but a Texan with LTC can't carry in NYC.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
@Miami_JBT

Where does it say in the law that an off-duty status has any influence in LEOSA status?

There are two main criteria to meet:

1) Whether the LEO has a power of arrest
2) Whether the LEO is authorized to carry a firearm while on duty

The law does not say anything about off-duty at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why was Arf against it? Too much power to the feds? I’ve seen a couple similar arguments that make a lot of sense but at the end of the day we are still unable to freely exercise our rights.
View Quote

From what I have seen in the past, a  lot of opposition here to any sort of national concealed carry has always focused on the various standards that might be imposed such as training or qualification requirements  that some people here object to.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing to remember is that if you are carrying outside of your jurisdiction under LEOSA, nothing in the law requires your agency to back you up (i.e. legally) should you be involved in an incident where you use your gun.  If you do act, and even if it was a good shoot in the eyes of "normal people", you could still be charged and/or sued and the cost of defending it will be on you.  Welcome to 2020.  This is not being said to discourage off-duty LEO's from carrying, rather knowing that if something does occur, you are on your own.  With that said, several LE groups such as the FOP do offer LEOSA insurance to cover this type of event at a minimal cost.  I would encourage anyone with a CCW to also carry some type of coverage, especially in light of litigious PC/SJW society where the most text book good shoot can be spun by the media to look like an assassination literally.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go join a local PD, Sheriff's Department, or Constable. Get your basic LE cert and you can carry in NYC just like those NYPD officers went through the NYS version to get their basic LE cert and got hired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pitjournal.unc.edu/sites/default/files/styles/img_article/public/field/image/Animal_farm.jpg
Go join a local PD, Sheriff's Department, or Constable. Get your basic LE cert and you can carry in NYC just like those NYPD officers went through the NYS version to get their basic LE cert and got hired.

You keep telling people to become a cop when they  disagree with LEOSA, while at the same time holding yourself up as a man of the people supporting National CCW.
New flash-not everybody wants to be a cop, and it’s not always because they don’t have the qualifications or couldn’t do the job.  It ain’t that hard, and the qualifications aren’t that rigid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Federal law trumps nj law
View Quote

That's why no one ever gets in trouble for transporting a firearm through a ban State.   FOPA trumps the State laws that would otherwise forbid it.

Oh, wait....
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LEOSA= rules for thee but not for me. It has always irked me. I don't believe that chosen profession should grant you extra rights.
View Quote

ITT: A lot of boomer cops who care about no one but themselves. What a shocker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEOSA= rules for thee but not for me. It has always irked me. I don't believe that chosen profession should grant you extra rights.

Some of us boomers do care, but with so many members willing to take away LEOSA because they don’t have the equivalent with national reciprocity I quit giving too much of a shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, until National Reciprocity passes. LEOSA is the only answer. They can join a agency and qualify for it or they can sit on the sidelines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pitjournal.unc.edu/sites/default/files/styles/img_article/public/field/image/Animal_farm.jpg

You keep telling people to become a cop when they  disagree with LEOSA, while at the same time holding yourself up as a man of the people supporting National CCW.
New flash-not everybody wants to be a cop, and it's not always because they don't have the qualifications or couldn't do the job.  It ain't that hard, and the qualifications aren't that rigid.

Well, until National Reciprocity passes. LEOSA is the only answer. They can join a agency and qualify for it or they can sit on the sidelines.

Not.Everyone.Wants.To.Be.A.Cop.    And I do not blame them.  
In case you were not aware, there’s a little more to police work than the privilege of national carry. Not everyone wants to leave their family on Christmas morning for that privilege.
Very few LE agencies are state level bureaucrats with bankers hours.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't see that at all
Get your spectacles checked. You apparently need a new prescription
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Arizona and we don’t require a permit for Jack shit unless you want to carry in a bar, basically. I will be eligible for LEOSA when I retire A few years but I still plan on getting another CCW (Had one but let it expire) within my state since doubling up is never a bad idea
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since FDLE requires that we qualify individually with each class of weapon. We're issued two cards. One for Semi-Autos and another for Revolvers.
View Quote
How does it work for full-time LE?
Would they get a separate card for full auto, bolt action, etc. or are these just the 2 types of handgun cards?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#24]
In my humble opinion if you're a cop from out of state and you're NOT performing an official duty such as transporting a prisoner you should have no more privilege in the state you're visiting than any other citizen of that state. You're under no more obligation to assist, you have no arrest powers, no uniform, no valid badge in that state and since no one in that state knows you're a cop (assuming you're not wearing a "I'M A COP" T shirt) other than your family, so it's not like you're wearing a target on your back. You're just an average Joe on vacation.

That being said, I don't care about the law that much. It's just another minor stab in the back to regular citizens...one of so many I've lost count.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LEOSA applies to the military too.
View Quote

CID?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

CID?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEOSA applies to the military too.

CID?

And MP/AF Security Forces and Master at Arms
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Blacktide

More than CID.... US Army Counterintelligence (35L) qualifies since they are government employees and have arrest authority. Also of course US Army Military Police, US Navy Master at Arms, US Airforce Security Forces, US Coastguard Boarding Officers, etc.... plus the Army Criminal Investigation Command, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Naval Criminal Investigative Service , and Coast Guard Investigative Service qualify too.
View Quote

Interesting.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
MD denied my carry permit renewal and told me just carry anyway since you're sworn....

So when I get revoked for an injury, I can't carry.
View Quote

What a lovey shit hole of a state MD is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Back to ccw v LEOSA-are you saying in texas an off duty cop has to abide by a 30.06 or 30.07 sign?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know everyone hates the NRA now, WLP suits and all that.. But the NRA HQ range in Fairfax,VA does LEOSA qualifications once a month.   The range sells ammo too.    Fly in, check into hotel. go to the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian Air & Space museum, go grab dinner, get some sleep. Qualify next day, hit the NRA HQ museum and then go back to airport.   There's also George Washington's Mt Vernon estate, the Marine Corps museum in Quantico and the Army museum will be opening in Ft. Belvoir soon. No reason to go to DC.  

LEOSA also doesn't make you immune to magazine capacity restrictions in some states unless you're on duty, on official business. A way to muddy the waters is to download your mags.

* Not Legal Advice*
You have to qualify in the State you reside in. If I lived in VA I could qual there. I can't since I live in FL.

Back to ccw v LEOSA-are you saying in texas an off duty cop has to abide by a 30.06 or 30.07 sign?

You do not have to qualify in the state you live in. I qualify in NC, but live in VA and am retired from an agency in VA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

New flash-not everybody wants to be a cop, and it's not always because they don't have the qualifications or couldn't do the job.  It ain't that hard, and the qualifications aren't that rigid.
View Quote
As a LEO... This. Not everyone wants to be a cop. And as LEOs we need to stop acting like it's some ultra elite SEALs. Some cops I've worked alongside probably forgot how to clean and maintain their weapons and barely pass their yearly qualifications.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Depends on the agency. The last place I worked for, we qualed on our rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The training section kept the records and we got no cards. The agency prior to them, we were given a 3x5 piece of carbon paper with our qual records.

LEOSA only applies to handguns. Long guns have nothing to do with this. So being qualed on a agency MG doesn't mean anything anyways.  
View Quote

Not really.  See the Drew Peterson case and it's successful defense by asserting LEOSA.

https://petersonstory.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/weapons-charges-against-drew-peterson-dismissed/
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#38]
LEOSA is bullshit
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top