Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/2/2022 8:32:20 PM EDT
"The Cybertruck will be first," they said.

"Tesla has an unbreakable lead on the legacy car companies when it comes to EVs," they said.

Well... it wasn't, and they don't.

November 21, 2019. That was the day Musk shocked the world, rolled out the Cybertruck, made a bunch of claims, and smashed the windows in a legendary oopsie.

Since then, the Rivian R1T, the Ford Lightning, and the Hummer thing have all gone live, and I've seen multiple examples of all three in the wild in random, low key places.

All we've gotten from Tesla in this time is wet fart noises.

Yesterday, Tesla said the Cybertruck is targeted to begin production... in late 2023. FOUR years after it was unveiled.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-mass-production-wont-start-until-late-2023-report

By then, we will probably see EV Silverados and Sierras, and it's possible that other manufacturers like Toyota will also be near launch.

I'm also extremely curious to see how that stainless steel 1980s SciFi movie prop handles all the safety regs and testing. That should be very interesting.

What if maybe, just maybe, the "legacy" car companies that self-identify as car companies instead of something else and that have generations of experience building vehicles actually have a pretty good idea how to develop and launch new models?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's ugly as hell no matter what technology goes into it or when it gets built.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember being told I was smoking crack for saying Ford would get the F150 lightning out first and there was no proof Ford could ever deliver even one of the things.

The three people I knew who were interested in one have all moved on at this point, and no one should blame them for doing so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like Tesla and the Cybertruck are living rent free in OP’s head
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The lightning is a nice truck, an electric truck is pretty practical if extended towing and long hauls aren't in the cards for them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would give my left nut for a Lightning.

The CT is cool too though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't normally watch the Simpsons but I recorded the Halloween special this weekend.  One of the segments spoofed West World and they had a Cybertruck.  Thought it was odd since it's been so long since they had any attention.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The first thing you need to realize is that the Cyber Truck is impossible to build for public sale. It will look like a used bar of soap if they decide to make it to crash standards and pedestrian impact bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I mostly just come into EV threads to see what gif you are going to post.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs
View Quote

Way ahead of you.

RELEASE THE AVOCADO TOAST
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"The Cybertruck will be first," they said.

Since then, the Rivian R1T, the Ford Lightning, and the Hummer thing have all gone live, and I've seen multiple examples of all three in the wild in random, low key places.
View Quote

All these SUCK as real trucks for hauling and towing.  Therefore, not actually trucks.

I hold little hope for the cybertruck, because EVs suck and are not a solution yet...but MAYBE Tesla wanted to make something that can tow more than 75 miles?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
When I get my Cybertruck I'm changing my name to Johnny Silverhand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All these SUCK as real trucks for hauling and towing.  Therefore, not actually trucks.

I hold little hope for the cybertruck, because EVs suck and are not a solution yet...but MAYBE Tesla wanted to make something that can tow more than 75 miles?
View Quote

90% of my towing is probably less than 10-20 miles a day and I tow a trailer every day.
The other 10% would be to our farm which is still in range.
I’d venture a guess a shit ton of contractors and shit tow trailers every day less than the max range and it would work just fine for them too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. The Cybertruck was also announced just prior to the worldwide covid lockdowns. PSA was also announcing the little $300 Glock clone about that same time. I don't fault either company for the shitshow they faced.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The lightning is a nice truck, an electric truck is pretty practical if extended towing and long hauls aren't in the cards for them.
View Quote
Yeah, I was wondering about this... it seems like a lot of folks use full-size trucks as tow vehicles and I'd read somewhere the lightning had a somewhat small tow range with a full load (don't remember what it was exactly). Seems like an awesome work truck though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the Rivians in person.
Quirky!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember being told I was smoking crack for saying Ford would get the F150 lightning out first and there was no proof Ford could ever deliver even one of the things.

The three people I knew who were interested in one have all moved on at this point, and no one should blame them for doing so.
View Quote

Dude Tesla is worth more then ford, Toyota, and GM combined. They might sell a fraction of the vehicles and an ever shrinking number of EVs to them but they are the future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Way ahead of you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs

Way ahead of you.

@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs

YOU POSTED ONE YOU LAZY ZOOMER, PUT DOWN YOUR TIDEPOD VAPE AND YOUR AVOCADO TOAST
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs

YOU POSTED ONE YOU LAZY ZOOMER, PUT DOWN YOUR TIDEPOD VAPE AND YOUR AVOCADO TOAST
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs

Way ahead of you.

@beitodesstrafe

Deploy Musk EV gifs

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I pre-ordered it day one and was told mid-2021 for production. Not quite two years later, I reserved a Ford Lightning.

I received my Lightning July 2022.

I haven’t heard a thing from Tesla. I know that the truck will have less features than promised, look different, and be more expensive than originally released. It’s vaporware at this point
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
weak rant. if you listened to any company presentation in the last couple years they have been very straightforward in saying they are focused on scaling manufacturing of the Model Y by building and setting up new factories. Cyber Truck and the Roadster are more like side projects.

That being said there has been a fair amount of footage of newer prototypes, and I think the casting machine for it is currently en-route from Italy.

edit :
also worth pointing out that you can't exactly buy any of the trucks you mentioned.
- not sure gm is even seriously  making the hummer.
- isn't the ford lightning sold out?
- rivian waiting list is years out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dude Tesla is worth more then ford, Toyota, and GM combined. They might sell a fraction of the vehicles and an ever shrinking number of EVs to them but they are the future.
View Quote

Great, and what does that have to do with Ford getting the Lightning out before Tesla got the Cybertruck out and GD telling me I was smoking crack for saying that's exactly what was going to happen,  numerous times?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered one when they went up and not sorry. I’m happy to drive my Model S until it comes out. Also, the Rivian and Hummer are silly expensive and my buddy’s Lightning nearly ran out of charge towing some deck wood and a toolbox from Houston to Manville.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Would look great with a shrike on a pintle mount.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read the linked article and found a Ford Lightning parked next to me at the grocery store in the same day. And here we are.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Great, and what does that have to do with Ford getting the Lightning out before Tesla got the Cybertruck out and GD telling me I was smoking crack for saying that's exactly what was going to happen,  numerous times?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't argue with tesla fans any more than iphone fans.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m either seeing a number of Rivians near me or one guy that drives around a lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mainly that either you don’t understand sarcasm or I need to use the emotes
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mainly that either you don’t understand sarcasm or I need to use the emotes
View Quote

Probably the former.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

which sounds like no practicality for a truck
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

90% of my towing is probably less than 10-20 miles a day and I tow a trailer every day.
I’d venture a guess a shit ton of contractors and shit tow trailers every day less than the max range and it would work just fine for them too.
View Quote

LOL Nope!
sounds like you have no idea how contractors work.
Lets watch and see how all those electric only gardening tools work out in a commercial situation in California.
MY bet is they won't.  I tried using a weed whacker on an 1/8th of an acre and went through 8 batteries.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Have Ford or Chevy launched rockets into space?  built flamethrowers?  taken over a social media giant for freedom of speech and funsies? divorced a crazy 20-something elf girl??

I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’m either seeing a number of Rivians near me or one guy that drives around a lot.
View Quote

one of the 14,000 recalled Rivians?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
The whole thing revolved around their ability to get the Austin TX plant up and running, which they finally have.

Not sure how they ever planned to get the truck out sooner with that constraint in mind.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like the Rivians in person.
Quirky!
View Quote

As a child of the 70s, when I see a Rivian all I see is:

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL Nope!
Lets watch and see how all those electric only gardening tools work out in a commercial situation in California.
MY bet is they won't.  I tried using a weed whacker on an 1/8th of an acre and went through 8 batteries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd venture a guess a shit ton of contractors and shit tow trailers every day less than the max range and it would work just fine for them too.

LOL Nope!
Somehow you're doing it wrong. I can do all my 10 acres of fence post, house and outbuildings with a 80 volt Kobalt with 3 batteries. That's about 2 hours either way, or 1 quart of gas with the 225L.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]
EV's are for suckers!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh electric cars are easy there's no real talent there.  Gm was building airplanes in ww2. Ford probably the same.  It's manufacturing capacity and dealer network and logistics and parts procurement that is gonna take mass production of electric cars successful.

Tesla filled a void while the big guys were slow to adapt and change. The big guys have that capacity so naturally if they focus on electric cars they should be able to get them out sooner (trucks etc). They are not hard to design.  Tesla is still growing but i think probably far ahead vs the others from tech like self driving. Although i think gm has that now too.

That said tesla is awesome just when all the big car companies are gonna focus on electric the competition will get harder. You're not the only game in town anymore

I'm a Tesla fan but in no way think ev are going to save the planet infact think overall they are probably worse.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't mind having one, what the heck
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure Elon could build the cybertruck now, but delay it cause the Model Ys are what bring in the profits.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#44]
EV trucks are retarded.

They have a real world towing range of like 50 miles.

You ain't towing your Airstream to FL with one, not even from mid Georgia.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Meh electric cars are easy there's no real talent there.  Gm was building airplanes in ww2. Ford probably the same.  It's manufacturing capacity and dealer network and logistics and parts procurement that is gonna take mass production of electric cars successful.

Tesla filled a void while the big guys were slow to adapt and change. The big guys have that capacity so naturally if they focus on electric cars they should be able to get them out sooner (trucks etc). They are not hard to design.  Tesla is still growing but i think probably far ahead vs the others from tech like self driving. Although i think gm has that now too.

That said tesla is awesome just when all the big car companies are gonna focus on electric the competition will get harder. You're not the only game in town anymore

I'm a Tesla fan but in no way think ev are going to save the planet infact think overall they are probably worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford built a B-24 per hour for 2 years 6 months in Willow Run during WW2 totaling 8,645 units vs 9,808 for the other 4 manufacturers combined building them. Also their own triplane and several others in other facilities including B-17. Not to mention munitions, jeeps, 2 1/2s.
Gm's contributions earned them the title of largest military contractor on Earth. Ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to tow stuff don't buy an electric truck. But if you want to make deliveries around town and do service calls it's far superior to a gas or diesel. Total service after 2 years and 20,000 miles.....
Tire rotation and inspection... less than $100
1/4 the cost for "fuel"
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ordered one when they went up and not sorry. I’m happy to drive my Model S until it comes out. Also, the Rivian and Hummer are silly expensive and my buddy’s Lightning nearly ran out of charge towing some deck wood and a toolbox from Houston to Manville.
View Quote

I have read a couple accounts of the Lightnings failings while load bearing. Seems it's nothing more than a virtue signaling vehicle after all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Somehow you're doing it wrong. I can do all my 10 acres of fence post, house and outbuildings with a 80 volt Kobalt with 3 batteries. That's about 2 hours either way, or 1 quart of gas with the 225L.
View Quote

I call bullshit.

Similar system to that I can't even mow my lawn on one battery if it is more than an inch taller than where it will be cut to. My kobalt weed eater might do the edge cuts a half dozen times before needing a battery swapped out. My entire property is under 1/4 acre.

Years of experience with weed eaters and mower on the ranch I grew up on. Even my modern stuff is useless for any actual work over square footage. Basically would have to have the tractor follow me around with a generator. At that point I'll just use the mower on the tractor. Or let the horses out. They dona good job of mowing everything to dust.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Well you'll never be without a straightedge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top