Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/16/2019 9:58:37 PM EDT
My son and daughter in law are wanting to get a puppy.  They have 2 boys age10 and a daughter age 12.  
They are a pretty busy family with a small yard in suburban Long Island.
Through a friend they made contact with someone in Pennsylvania who has a 4 yellow lab pups all females.  They are 4.5 months old and she is asking $550.00 each.

Both my son and daughter in law have a little experience with dogs.  Both have had dogs in the family as kids.  I don't know much about her experience.  We got a Golden Retriever after his Mom and I got married.  He was 8 at the time, so his experience with raising a pup is limited.

What info can you give me, that I will relay to them, that will help in puppy selection?  Which is better for their situation, male or female?  Daughter in law does not want a very large dog.  What are the differences in cost and recuperation between spaying and mustering?  Our female Golden was spayed and I seem to recall a two week recovery.
What other things should be know before going forward?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Labs are stupid but have a heart as large as all outdoors. I love mine.
2) Spay or neuter, 2 weeks is about right.
3) Male or female they are about the same size when grown.
4) Get two so they have someone with them when all their people are at school/work
5) They are stupid, so forget about them being Border Collie smart. It just ain't happening.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s going to be a chew monster for a couple years. And it’s going to need a lot of exercise. If they think leaving it out in the backyard will be sufficient exercise, they’re going to have a bad time. If the wife wants a smaller dog and she’s the one going to be doing most of the care/training/exercise, they should skip the Lab and get a smaller dog.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Our chocolate is a retard but he's awesome with our 2 year old. Everyone keeps saying they calm down around 2-3 years old, were patiently waiting for that day.

Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Labs are a royal pain in the ass for 2-3 years. After that they are great companions.

That said, busy family/small yard generally isn’t a good match for a lab(or any dog). If they are dead set on one, just make sure they realize if the dog is a turd the first few years, it’s not the dog’s fault.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be a chew monster for a couple years. And it's going to need a lot of exercise. If they think leaving it out in the backyard will be sufficient exercise, they're going to have a bad time. If the wife wants a smaller dog and she's the one going to be doing most of the care/training/exercise, they should skip the Lab and get a smaller dog.
View Quote
I was hoping you'd pop in here, used you in a lot of dog threads and you seem dog knowledgeable.

The current plan is a lot of walking in the neighborhood.

Any tips on training basic commands?  They are going to want a well behaved dog.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Like many breeds, a well behaved lab puppy = a tired lab puppy

The kids arent going to consistently keep that dog occupied.  Make sure the adult owners know that will be their responsibility.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
"They are a pretty busy family with a small yard"

This shouts out to me don't get a puppy
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to help them make a good choice and wherever else I can.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah.....I get it.

I will convey this concern to them
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Labs are amazing .  My 13 y/o has been wonderful.

That being said. The first two years they need alot of attention and are chewing machines. They are working dogs and you have to keep them busy.

Not ideal for a family that doesn't have the time to train and exercise them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My dogs ate my living room. I don't mean they chewed up the legs of a table, I mean they ate the couch, the loveseat, the arm chairs, every pillow and cussion, the coffee table, the end tables, all of it was eaten.

I went from nice furniture to looking like I live in a crack den.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to the pound and get a dog.

All mine have been pound dogs/we adopted after fostering.

My current dog (chocolate lab we adopted after fostering) is crazy smart. That dog is loyal as fuck. I've had male dogs for the last 10 years and this one is female. Giant difference in attitude.

Just wants to be part of the group, wants to be petted. Every male I've ever had comes out every now and then to check on things but didn't interact near as much. She is going through her teenage years and it is hilarious to watch her throw temper tantrums and act out like a person would.

Dog will kill anything that sets foot on the property with more than 2 legs, has 1 confirmed deer kill and 2 additional deer attacks (deer managed to get away with a couple bites) to her credit. So whoever says labs are stupid and wouldn't hurt a fly, don't believe them. She is incredibly smart and always watching and learning. She is great with our baby but is never left alone with him.

My previous lab (male) learned to catch and kill birds in the backyard by pinning them against a fence as they took wing. Labs want to play and hunt. If you don't run them, exercise them, exhaust them, they will destroy things out of boredom. So be careful what you are getting into.

I've had 3 goldens as well and they were good dogs, dumb as shit, but sweet and loving as can be. If you want a dog to lay around and do nothing, golden retriever. If you have the time to run them to exhaustion every day, get a lab.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was hoping you'd pop in here, used you in a lot of dog threads and you seem dog knowledgeable.

Any tips on training basic commands?  They are going to want a well behaved dog.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's going to be a chew monster for a couple years. And it's going to need a lot of exercise. If they think leaving it out in the backyard will be sufficient exercise, they're going to have a bad time. If the wife wants a smaller dog and she's the one going to be doing most of the care/training/exercise, they should skip the Lab and get a smaller dog.

The best idea is to enroll in puppy classes and basic obedience classes through their local kennel club (not PetSmart or PetCo or other pet store chain). They can also pick up some books like The Art or Raising a Puppy and How to Be Your Dog’s Best Friend, as well as When Pigs Fly and The Power of Positive Dog Training.

A lot of walking is good, but depending on the lines, that may or may not be sufficient.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah.....I get it.

View Quote
It's not the yard size it's the pretty busy family quote .

You can live in a condo if you have the time to spend with a new puppy while it's growing .

Dogs take a lot of your time they are not like a indoor cat...that's all
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My dogs ate my living room. I don't mean they chewed up the legs of a table, I mean they ate the couch, the loveseat, the arm chairs, every pillow and cussion, the coffee table, the end tables, all of it was eaten.

View Quote
That has me laughing, as did your threading about getting fired.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d suggest not getting a dog. Busy family and small yard is a recipe for disaster and problems with the neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go to the pound and get a dog...
View Quote
Good luck with that. I wanted a generic mutt from the pound, and they are virtually all pit bulls, or pit mixes. No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can live in a condo if you have the time to spend with a new puppy while it's growing .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah.....I get it.

I hope I didn't sound snippy.  I meant to say I have the same thought.  I want to help them make this a success.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Seriously, though, if they’re a busy family with a small yard, a Lab puppy is probably not a great idea. An adult dog that perhaps doesn’t need as much time and attention would be a better choice. And maybe a smaller one. Like I said, if Mama wants smaller and it’s big and exuberant, she will be less likely to walk it as often, which will lead to pent up energy and neurotic behavior, which will decrease the amount of time she spends walking it (aka letting it drag her around), which will lead to even more energy and neurotic behavior. It’s a vicious cycle and happens all too often.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
English Type for a house pet

American Type for sporting and active people
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good luck with that. I wanted a generic mutt from the pound, and they are virtually all pit bulls, or pit mixes. No thanks.
View Quote
Meh. Mine was full of labs and German Shepherds when I went. Got a pureblood Golden at one point from the shelter that lived a long, fat, happy life.

Black lab from the shelter that lived to a ripe old age.

We fostered for a rescue down the street since we have a big yard and the first dog to come through was a pureblood bloodhound.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Don’t let the kids pick the dog.

Kids fall in love with the hyper one. The one jumping and licking and loving all over them. Then you take it home and guess what? That dog is hyper, needy, pushy, destructive, etc.

The dog you want from the litter is the most mellow. The one sleeping in the corner. The one that really doesn’t get excited whether the kids are there or not. That’s the calm family dog that everyone wants.

It blows my mind that people pick dogs based on characteristics they HATE as soon as they get home. WTF did you expect?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hope I didn't sound snippy.  I meant to say I have the same thought.  I want to help them make this a success.
View Quote
No worries

you didn't  
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a “British lab”. Same genetics but different breeding. He is about 11 months old, smart and a decent retriever. Not blue heeler smart but he understands and learns commands easily. Parents weren’t big and neither is he. Maybe 40 lbs. right now.  he chews like a mother and you have to exercise him daily or shit does not go well. If you don’t have much time to devote to the dog I recommend a much lower maintenance breed
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
We had a Lab that was an absolute sweetheart.  Buster came to us as a 3 month old puppy.  He loved playing ball.  The only problem was Buster was very near sighted.  There went my "Hunting Buddy".  It was fine, he was always ready to go.  He didn't care where, he just wanted to be included and go along.  We have 5 acres so he had plenty of room to run, chase rabbits and squirrels.  He passed about 8 months ago.  I miss him terribly.

But to my reason for posting.  Your son and his family might like a miniature dachshund.  It actually might be a better fit.  Obviously they are smaller, but don't tell them that.  They are natural clowns and will play ball, walk or any activity you feel like.  Our two dachshunds keep us active and entertained  and their heart is every bit as big as Buster's.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Ours would eat a horse if you let him(not literally a horse, but food that amounts to the size of a horse). As mentioned, not the brightest dog in the world. Generally extremely happy, kind of a happy go.lucky personality.  They chew up and destroy anything they can get their mouth on while younger. They generally love water, mud puddles, and with look like a pig rolling in mud if you let them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#28]
The two labs that I've known were both very smart. One was ours, the other belonged to the neighbors.

Our lab was the best dog we've ever had, and even saved my mother from possibly being attacked by a cougar. Great dogs, but it does help to have some land and water for them to play in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Chances are they've already made up their minds to do this.
Get a crate and look into crate training. Not a cheap wire kennel. A shipping container for dogs. Not the shitty ones branded "Remington" made about the same strength as dollar store dish pans. Get a real shipping crate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Meh. Mine was full of labs and German Shepherds when I went. Got a pureblood Golden at one point from the shelter that lived a long, fat, happy life.

We fostered for a rescue down the street since we have a big yard and the first dog to come through was a pureblood bloodhound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m officially jealous. I think being on the outskirts of  Detroit poisons the well...
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
4) Get two so they have someone with them when all their people are at school/work
5) They are stupid, so forget about them being Border Collie smart. It just ain't happening.
View Quote
I was fortunate enough to be a puppy raiser for a guide dog organization..those are some very smart labs...

I've had both field grade american labs and confirmation type English labs...the confirmation English type tend to be dumb and happy.  He was a sweet heart but I'm a smart hyper field dog kind of guy.

Labs with field blood lines tend to be very bright.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#33]
None of the labs I've had have been "dumb", relatively speaking.

I guess it's luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#34]
This is the link for the pups, any thoughts?

https://www.puppyfind.com/breeder_directory/breeder/?acct_id=354207
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#35]
And if they’re going with a dog from a breeder, they’ll want to make sure all health clearances on the parents are in order. For Labs, this means both parents have had x-rays for hip and elbow dysplasia, an eye exam by a board certified ophthalmologist, a DNA test for exercise induced collapse, and a D locus DNA test. If the breeder doesn’t know what these are or isn’t willing to furnish the results, they need to keep looking. If the breeder doesn’t have some sort of titles on their dogs, that’s a big red flag. They could be titles in obedience, conformation, agility, hunting, etc, but there should be some sort of effort to show that the dogs are physically and mentally sound, good representatives of the breed through independent evaluation. If the breeder doesn’t do that, they should be very skeptical.

$550 is a mighty low price for a dog with appropriate health and temperament testing, but it can happen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
All dogs are stupid, but Labs are among the more intelligent dog breeds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#37]
don't get it sprayed or neutered till it has finished growing, if ever. at least 18 months old preferably 2 years old.
crate train, put nylon bones or kong toys in your laundry basket to get their scent on it and give the dog one just before leaving to avoid destructive chewing
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't mean to sound harsh but not only no, hell no.  Labs are working dogs.

Mine turns 2 in January and is still a handful at times.  If he didn't have an older brother to play with I believe he would have destroyed the house / yard.

He is a hard headed shitshow.  Even when he understands a command he will do what he wants as soon as I turn my back.

But he is loving, loyal and a good alert system.  Turning into a decent ducker.  As others have said, the first two years are trying.

My Brit is the exact opposite.  Eager to please.  Reads nonverbal ques, huge vocabulary.  His biggest sin is that he loves me to the point of crazy.

I work them daily DAILY and sometimes still want to kill the lab.  Somehow he looks chill in this picture though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#39]
You don't have to rely on 'shelters' alone,
Almost any breed you can think of has a national rescue center. Easily googled.

I think Labs are great dogs but as others have said they don't do kids well until 2 years or more of age.
If your kids are small, stay away from working breed dogs. It's not fair to either your kids or the dog.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, this.

Labs of any kind are land sharks on crack when they're young, if you can't devote time to them they will destroy shit like you wouldn't believe. Male or female, doesn't matter. Both sexes are wonderful dogs when they fully mature, as long as they're socialized properly and given an outlet for their energy. Plan on a few years of furniture destruction, eating stuff you wouldn't believe, etc.

We just got a Yellow Lab male a week ago, but he's actually less of a handful than our ridgeback was.

Key here is we have plenty of time to devote to training the new pup, sounds like a pretty busy family doesn't have the time.

Turtles, on the other hand, will do fine when ignored and unsocialized.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a lot of good info coming in and I thank you all for the help.

I will ask my son and daughter in law to read this thread.

Please continue to share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And if they're going with a dog from a breeder, they'll want to make sure all health clearances on the parents are in order. For Labs, this means both parents have had x-rays for hip and elbow dysplasia, an eye exam by a board certified ophthalmologist, a DNA test for exercise induced collapse, and a D locus DNA test. If the breeder doesn't know what these are or isn't willing to furnish the results, they need to keep looking. If the breeder doesn't have some sort of titles on their dogs, that's a big red flag. They could be titles in obedience, conformation, agility, hunting, etc, but there should be some sort of effort to show that the dogs are physically and mentally sound, good representatives of the breed through independent evaluation. If the breeder doesn't do that, they should be very skeptical.

$550 is a mighty low price for a dog with appropriate health and temperament testing, but it can happen.
View Quote
this. all of it.

$550 is pretty cheap for a quality pup.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is the link for the pups, any thoughts?

https://www.puppyfind.com/breeder_directory/breeder/?acct_id=354207
View Quote
I would be cautious. They need to ask about health tests and titles. It says the puppies are champion sired, which may indicate some quality there, but that depends on what definition of Champion they’re using.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
don't get it sprayed or neutered till it has finished growing, if ever. at least 18 months old preferably 2 years old.
crate train, put nylon bones or kong toys in your laundry basket to get their scent on it and give the dog one just before leaving to avoid destructive chewing
View Quote
I don't think there's a subject related to dogs with more conflicting information than when to spay/neuter.

One semi-consistent bit is to spay a female before its first heat.

For males, though, I've had vets recommend everything from 12 weeks to 1.5-2 years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And if they’re going with a dog from a breeder, they’ll want to make sure all health clearances on the parents are in order. For Labs, this means both parents have had x-rays for hip and elbow dysplasia, an eye exam by a board certified ophthalmologist, a DNA test for exercise induced collapse, and a D locus DNA test. If the breeder doesn’t know what these are or isn’t willing to furnish the results, they need to keep looking. If the breeder doesn’t have some sort of titles on their dogs, that’s a big red flag. They could be titles in obedience, conformation, agility, hunting, etc, but there should be some sort of effort to show that the dogs are physically and mentally sound, good representatives of the breed through independent evaluation. If the breeder doesn’t do that, they should be very skeptical.

View Quote
Yeah I don't you will get all that from a back yard breeder.
If you are buying from a breeder who specialty  is sporting dogs then yes but you are not buying them for $550
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
My advice is to go rescue an older dog that is way past puppy-hood.  This might be a better first dog for two inexperienced dog-owners.  Plus, they will have a forever-grateful companion.  If they do move forward with the pup you mentioned, at least make sure it isn't some puppy mill.

Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had one that ate its dog house. Keep in mind how destructive it will be, and plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't think there's a subject related to dogs with more conflicting information than when to spay/neuter.

For males, though, I've had vets recommend everything from 12 weeks to 1.5-2 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the spay bit is proving to be terrible advice. It drastically increases the chance of several fatal cancers, increases the chance of incontinence, increases the rate of anxiety disorders and aggression, and doesn’t really do anything productive beyond eliminating the inconvenience of period blood and accidental reproduction.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI - Truly is amazing.

We have two black lab puppies. One 3 months old, the other 9 months old. They're both fully retarded.

That said, they're easy to train for the basics; it's the energy you have to worry about. Two is almost easier to deal with than one, because they keep each-other occupied vs. wanting to play with you 24/7.

2 weeks is dead on accurate for the spay on both of ours. One ripped her stitches because she a level 20 on a 1-10 energy scale, the other sailed through no problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Labs are the best!Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top