User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

according to the wisdom of the collective idiots associated in this thread... our dogs are somehow retarded...

also - our dogs laugh in ribbons and titles..
View Quote
he doesn't laugh while retrieving

that was just this year.  He's a busy boy
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Test Dogs Rule....
especially Black Dogs.

Off and On switches, especially if they live in the house.
smart owners get their dogs from working stock.
View Quote
he has an amazing switch.  he is the most insane retriever I've ever owned..or seen..AND he shuts down and is a complete gentleman in the house, not food motivated, knows what is his to chew and what isn't.

He is by my side all day, goes to work with me. Rides in vehicles everyday. total sweetheart.

one funny thing, as most labs he is basically amphibious, but he despises getting rained on....hates it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
he has an amazing switch.  he is the most insane retriever I've ever owned..or seen..AND he shuts down and is a complete gentleman in the house, not food motivated, knows what is his to chew and what isn't.

He is by my side all day, goes to work with me. Rides in vehicles everyday. total sweetheart.

one funny thing, as most labs he is basically amphibious, but he despises getting rained on....hates it.
View Quote
my black lab will jump in any pool you show him.  if there's rain, he pisses on the covered patio and refuses like hell to walk in puddles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They are amazing dogs that want nothing more then to please you, play and cuddle.

They will prob chew but make sure there are plenty of options for toy and if they chew something correct them and provide a toy as replacement.

I give my dogs a bed and a crate. The bed is where they go to wait or if they are in trouble. If they are in the crate that’s there safe space just let them be so they actually enjoy being in there. That makes crate training much easier.

Start the pup from day 1 to “go out” “go pee” and “go poop”. Whatever they do good or bad state what they do and tell the good or bad. Good sit. No biting etc.

When training do it in 3s and be CONSISTENT.

Her means come here and sit. Not come near me and walk around. Stay means stay not sit and inch forward.

What ever you are training on once it’s done 3x correctly move on or go play so they don’t get bored.

If the dog is think headed try one of the CO2 sprayers. The sound and odd feeling tends to get their attention. Works amazing on my dogs. My brothers GSD could care less.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok.  If this info shies them away from Labs, what breeds would you all recommend?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Mini-Goldendoodle/154-2280002/&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Possible option depending on your desires......
I absolutely admire Labs. They are like relatives. Fun to visit but nice to go home without.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good info in here so far.  It is really funny how different dogs are from the same breeder/lines, our black lab is much like some of the other posters dogs in the thread, wide open when in the field but turns it off and is complete joy to have around the house and in social situations.  Our yellow puppy is a holy terror at times, but she is only 8 months old and like most labs, will settle down as she ages.

Here is some light reading about our hounds  Addi
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top