Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/22/2024 12:06:16 PM EDT
They mention it on their FB page and I found a few threads on it. Most informative one is here:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-labradar-lx.7204264/

Few other details. Looks like it maintains *ONE* downrange reading, which IMO still puts it ahead of the Garmin. I like being able to spitball a BC number.

YMMV, people love to hate Labradar for resting on their laurels and when they release something new people will inexplicably still hate them.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Who hates Labradar?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
interesting
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol, Trijicon 2.0.

"Now that we say on our asses for years, competitors blew past us. Quick let's copy them and the populous will think they are copying us!"

Good for them. I'm sure it will work, too.

I have a LR. It was ahead of its time...7 years ago. Unfortunate that they never even got the app to work properly, and basically said Fuck Off to their entire customer base when they asked for a fix.

I'd not buy another.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
After what Garmin released, they'd better do something, and quick.  

My Garmin Xero C1 Pro is awesome, the Labradar and MagnetoSpeed are history with the release of the Xero.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who hates Labradar?
View Quote

Everyone who has trolled this thread so far except me and you?

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got the full size one for Christmas.  Haven't got to use it yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My Garmin Xero C1 Pro is awesome, the Labradar and MagnetoSpeed are history with the release of the Xero.

View Quote

Yep……missed it by that much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
lol love when a company gets caught with their pants down
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love mine and absolutely do not get the hate. And mine is just the Lite version.

This thread will be full of people who think Labradar just mocked this up in Solidworks the week after Garmin released theirs. It's retarded. And I don't say that to be critical of the Garmin unit, just the hatred people show towards Labradar.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, Trijicon 2.0.

"Now that we say on our asses for years, competitors blew past us. Quick let's copy them and the populous will think they are copying us!"

I have a LR. It was ahead of its time...7 years ago. Unfortunate that they never even got the app to work properly, and basically said Fuck Off to their entire customer base when they asked for a fix.

I'd not buy another.
View Quote

Yeah I don't hate Labradar.  I'm not going to be replacing my Labradar any time soon either.  But when I do eventually, it won't be a Labradar product solely because of how they completely mailed it in regarding the application.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I love mine and absolutely do not get the hate. And mine is just the Lite version.

This thread will be full of people who think Labradar just mocked this up in Solidworks the week after Garmin released theirs. It's retarded. And I don't say that to be critical of the Garmin unit, just the hatred people show towards Labradar.

View Quote

The Xero isn't even the first. There are others. CED M2, Bullet Seeker Mach 4, AndiScan Micro, etc etc.

The Xero was announced as a teaser like, two years ago. So yeah, I'm 100% certain they sat on their asses and conceived this up AFTER they saw competition was coming to market.

And yes, I own a LR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yikes
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone who’s had one long enough, the ap redesign is what finally did me in. Funny enough I found one of my old phones with the original ap still installed and it made my LR work way better than the new ap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If it still needs an aiming sight, hard pass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]
When my LR craps the bed, I'll get this one.  

I bought it long enough ago I don't see it failing me any time soon.  IIRC I paid $449 plus shipping from Midway.  I'm guessing the new stuff is considerably more.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Xero isn't even the first. There are others. CED M2, Bullet Seeker MK4, etc.

The Xero was announced as a teaser like, two years ago. So yeah, I'm 100% certain they sat on their asses and conceived this up AFTER they saw competition was coming to market.

And yes, I own a LR.
View Quote

And there was also the FX pocket chronograph V2.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not replacing my labradar- because it works, just in a less user friendly fashion than the garmin- but at this point they have to actually beat the Garmin, not just put out something at its level.

Labradar's app and UI support were dismal, but it is a product that works very well now. It just took them a while to get the software usable. Because the on-unit controls are completely unintuitive.

That said in actual use my labradar has been perfect. I just have to relearn the controls and app every time I drag it out because I don't use it that often.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. I plan on selling my Magnetospeed to fund a Garmin soon. Never had good experiences w/ my buddy's Labradar and when a place like K&M Precision stopped using them in favor of Magnetospeeds, that told me everything I needed to know. They had a pile of them they weren't even trying to send back for repair.

The Xero may put both companies out of business.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not replacing my labradar- because it works, just in a less user friendly fashion than the garmin- but at this point they have to actually beat the Garmin, not just put out something at its level.

Labradar's app and UI support were dismal, but it is a product that works very well now. It just took them a while to get the software usable. Because the on-unit controls are completely unintuitive.
View Quote

Here's what a lot of people miss:

My first chronograph was a Shooting Chrony that worked from ~1996 until I left it out in the rain in ~2022, at which point I replaced it with a Labradar Lite, which they amde when they couldn't even GET the Bluetooth component to make the regular model.

It is, for people as old as me, a HUUUUUUUGE improvement over what we grew up with. I don't even use the app. I know it exists but I've never even looked at it - and there are bazillions of fudds my age and older, that likely make up the majority of the recreational shooting market, ages ~45 and up, that are old enough to remember when you bought one thing and stuck with it until it failed. We don't trade guns, cars, or gadgets every other year.

And Labradar served us, and our needs, extremely well. For many years they literally had no significant competition outside of some boutique stuff sold in small quantities, and it is always competition that drives product improvement. Now they have legit competition and they're improving.

This is capitalism. People here always end up showing a hatred for that.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My first chronograph was a Shooting Chrony that worked from ~1996 until I left it out in the rain in ~2022, at which point I replaced it with a Labradar Lite, which they amde when they couldn't even GET the Bluetooth component to make the regular model.

It is, for people as old as me, a HUUUUUUUGE improvement over what we grew up with. I don't even use the app. I know it exists but I've never even looked at it - and there are bazillions of fudds my age and older, that likely make up the majority of the recreational shooting market, ages ~45 and up, that are old enough to remember when you bought one thing and stuck with it until it failed. We don't trade guns, cars, or gadgets every other year.

And Labradar served us, and our needs, extremely well. For many years they literally had no significant competition outside of some boutique stuff sold in small quantities, and it is always competition that drives product improvement. Now they have legit competition and they're improving.

View Quote

How do you feel about Holosun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep. I plan on selling my Magnetospeed to fund a Garmin soon. Never had good experiences w/ my buddy's Labradar and when a place like K&M Precision stopped using them in favor of Magnetospeeds, that told me everything I needed to know. They had a pile of them they weren't even trying to send back for repair.

The Xero may put both companies out of business.
View Quote

The Xero is really worth the price of admission.  I winced a bit at buying the Area 419 Arcalock QD arm for the Xero, $165, but to be able to so simply use ARCA to mount the Xero in-line with the barrel made it worth the price.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
The irony here is how during covid nobody could get labradar so the canucks released a labradar lite in July 2022. The lite version didn’t have Bluetooth connectivity and cost damn near the same as the full feature unit - but that didn’t really matter because the app (which connects over Bluetooth) has been a shitshow.

Then garmin walks on stage in summer 2023 and says, look at my sweet little chronograph that beats the pants off of labradar.

Now, 6 months later after labradar got caught with their pants down they’ve released this rushed to development device. Their pictures suggest they have ten units. I’d be very interested to know if those units end up at range day otherwise they simply have a plastic box with digital screen for picture purposes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which they just did.

Garmin doesn't have a downrange reading. I'd bet the GenII model will - that whole thing with competition driving improvements - but right now, if you want to estimate a BC, it's Labradar or nothing.

(Also - note the purse-swinging in this thread relative to the amount of actual product discussion)
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The irony here is how during covid nobody could get labradar so the canucks released a labradar lite in July 2022.
View Quote

I bought the Lite and was darned thankful to get it. I needed a chronograph, not another app to connect every part of my life to the ^%#*^%(& telephone.

Covid impacted all of us, and I won't hold that against them.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Xero is really worth the price of admission.  I winced a bit at buying the Area 419 Arcalock QD arm for the Xero, $165, but to be able to so simply use ARCA to mount the Xero in-line with the barrel made it worth the price.

View Quote

I picked this up when Area 419 was sold out, works great at a third the cost. I have a ton of Area 419 and Gray Ops stuff but I couldn't justify the cost when it's only for bench use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR8LRXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@arowneragain

Could you use the garmin to take downrange readings by placing it downrange and then shooting past it?

Granted, you wouldn't be getting velocity readings from the same bullet, but still. And don't shoot it!
View Quote

In theory you could. I'd much, much rather just use the Labradar. YMMV, of course.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I sold my labradar and I was planning to order the Garmin this week.  I’ll wait long enough to see a review on this one to see if it’s worth considering.  

It does bother me that the Garmin doesn’t seem to integrate with the app all that well during the shooting session, but the labradar Bluetooth sucked anyway.

But the labradar has a tough hurdle in the Garmin at the same price point.

I had a separate case, separate trigger, battery pack, stand, for the labradar. Garmin has everything you need in the box and seems to be a much tougher unit to boot.  This could be in my range bag each week, I don’t trust the labradar in those contortions.  It seems to be a much more fragile unit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quickly sell it
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quickly sell it
View Quote

This is the way

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lol, Trijicon 2.0.

I'd not buy another.
View Quote

Still can’t use my iphone 13 to send data with magnetospeed. Have to use my 6s. Weak
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it comes out late this year or next year, that is the case (would have gotten the labradar but didn’t want the light version)
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are fragile, so handle gently.  They aren't as bad as some people say, but I actually still like my magneto speed.  It's way better than the old chrono days of having to set target/chrony/Firearm up perfectly and hope you don't shoot it.  I'm waiting on a Garmin xero c1 pro, if it's as good as everyone says, the magneto speed will be sold to a buddy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Garmin has been out for several months, correct?  I know area419 was testing one early last summer and loved it over the old lab radar.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Garmin has been out for several months, correct?  I know area419 was testing one early last summer and loved it over the old lab radar.
View Quote

Yes. Several months.

That’s a very short timeframe to bring a copy to market.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm with you on the old chrony, light conditions had to be just right with beta chrony or it was erroneous.  I upgraded to a magneto speed about 13yrs ago, it was a game changer as far as setup.  I never had any issues working up loads with bayonet on the rifle, only thing that would change was poi, slightly.  I still have a regular chrony for handgun/long handguard ar chrono testing, but the garmin(if it's as good as I've read) should easily replace both.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Why would I need to "estimate" bc when that data is widely available for nearly every popular bullet on the market?  Labradar has a lot of catching up to do, because the Garmin unit is superior in every single way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In theory you could. I'd much, much rather just use the Labradar. YMMV, of course.

View Quote

Having never used a lab radar for this, does it account for enviros?  As thar would effect downrange velocity which would impact bc.  As a magnetospeed user, I just trued up bc at 1200yds after gaining solid MV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why would I need to "estimate" bc when that data is widely available for nearly every popular bullet on the market?  Labradar has a lot of catching up to do, because the Garmin unit is superior in every single way.
View Quote

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Having never used a lab radar for this, does it account for enviros?  As thar would effect downrange velocity which would impact bc.  As a magnetospeed user, I just trued up bc at 1200yds after gaining solid MV.
View Quote

No. It just gives a raw downrange velocity, at user-defined distances from maybe 25 to 125 yards. In theory it’ll go 200. In reality, more like 100-125.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes. Several months.

That’s a very short timeframe to bring a copy to market.

View Quote

True, assuming the lab radar lite is market ready.  So far I've only saw an announcement, no emails from vendors ready to ship.  The price is really odd that it's exactly the same.  More competition is good and I hope they do well.  I'm with you on app not be critical or important to me.  I still have a load data book that I record every velocity down in as I do load work.  I guess I'm old fashioned and having a hard copy is nice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You don’t know what you don’t know.

View Quote

Get your info from Bryan Litz, and you know.  100 to 150 yards isn't anywhere near enough distance to calculate any type of bc anyhow. Worthless data.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some companies overestimate their bc, and bc does change as bullet shape(lot to lot) changes.  Berger accounts for this on their packaging.  I've had to "true up" bc more often than not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Some companies overestimate their bc, and bc does change as bullet shape(lot to lot) changes.  Berger accounts for this on their packaging.  I've had to "true up" bc more often than not.
View Quote

I have as well, but the labradar is capable of giving you downrange data at an absolute max of 200 yards. That's worthless when calculating bc. I've never found data from Bryan litz to be lacking.  He's called a lot of companies to the carpet on their exaggerated claims.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Get your info from Bryan Litz, and you know.  100 to 150 yards isn't anywhere near enough distance to calculate any type of bc anyhow. Worthless data.
View Quote

No, I mean you’ve got an unknown unknown here.

Get your info from Litz and you know what his bullets do in his barrels. You still don’t know what they’ll do in yours, and you don’t even know that you don’t know that.

It’s not a big deal to make corrections based on shooting, but it’s nice to minimize those, in my opinion. I’ve seen bullets measure both higher and lower than litz published bcs. And I shoot a lot of stuff he isn’t measuring.

Data for cast bullets, and even the better modern muzzleloader bullets, is still either nonexistent or published by the maker that has a vested interest in inflating the numbers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have as well, but the labradar is capable of giving you downrange data at an absolute max of 200 yards. That's worthless when calculating bc. I've never found data from Bryan litz to be lacking.
View Quote

I've used data gathered at 50 yards to correctly calculate BC within 0.001. It was dead on for the Barnes 110gr black tips I did the original BC calculator algorithm on.

I'm not saying there wasn't some level of luck there, but it is certainly good enough. Out to several hundred yards.

If you're shooting past a grand, I'd probably look at other techniques, which would probably be starting with the LR BC and then using empirical data collected on the range in terms of drop measurements and back calculating BC that way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
100 to 150 yards isn't anywhere near enough distance to calculate any type of bc anyhow. Worthless data.
View Quote

Here’s another example of you and your unknown unknowns.

You don’t know what I’m shooting at what distances and it’s never crossed your mind that it might matter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trueing reality with paper, you can also easily do it via your Kestrel though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sort of.  I've saw some of the litz bc in shooter app that isn't right with what I was getting IRW results.  Oddly enough the erroneous little data was in non-berger bullets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top