Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't someone use the badge, a gun, and holster leather on the cover of their catalog ?

One of the "deputies".

https://kval.com/news/local/police-take-man-into-custody-for-unintentionally-shooting-another-person
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With my California, New Hampshire, Utah & Arizona permits, plus constitutional carry, there are very few places I cannot legally carry.  LEOSA does not exempt you from California’s mag capacity restrictions BTW.
View Quote

Yeah but you have California which non residents can't get. That's a huge deal to a lot of people especially those of us that border cali and frequently find ourselves across the line. The best motorcycle riding close to my location is almost entirely within California.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LEOSA is over rated with constitutional carry and non resident permits.
View Quote

I want everyone to be able to carry nation wide.

However, as a fully sworn cop, even though I work part time (reserve) having nation wide carry is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Didn't someone use the badge, a gun, and holster leather on the cover of their catalog ?

One of the "deputies".

https://kval.com/news/local/police-take-man-into-custody-for-unintentionally-shooting-another-person
View Quote

Read the other articles....This dude shot is brother in law in the leg while drunk and got probation....

"Pressburg was taken into custody on charges of assault 3, negligently wounding another, unlawful use of a weapon, and reckless endangerment."
Probation

http://projects.registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35702240-75/man-who-shot-brother-inlaw-in-the-leg-gets-18-months-ofprobation.html.csp
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doesn’t bother me.
Finding a way to fuck the system is 100% American.
View Quote

But did they actually fuck the system? I'm no expert on New Mexico, but most states have LE requirements that have to be actually met to be an LE Officer. Meeting those requirements to be a Certified Officer is required for LEOSA. From what I remember the "Reserves" in Lake Arthur didn't meet the requirements and were given credentials as if they did when they weren't allowed to. Which once find out were taken away and a big shit storm ensued (including ARFCOM threads every few months). Someone might as well buy a badge off ebay and make a fake Police I.D. because that is all theirs were in the end.

Just my badge and ID doesn't make me a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of TN. I had to graduate a six month Police Academy (My liberal city P.D. added feel good shit to make ours longer than any other Academy in the state), and then annually thereafter, I have to complete 40 hours of in-service training to include firearms, driving, law update, ethics, diversity, blah, blah, blah. Also annually, I then have to separately recertify/refresh/re-train any other certifications/training/skills that I have or use in any special assignments. Records of all the above are kept with the state POST Commission.

In other TLDR words I don't think they fucked the system. Especially considering one of them got in a shoot out in another jurisdiction that hasn't been resolved yet I don't think. Imagine if one of your friends/family were shot by a guy that didn't meet the requirements/training/authority to even be in the situation that lead to your friend/family being shot by him.  

Why does GD rants about the Police being poorly trained when shit happens, and then is fine with people buying themselves into a Police role and having no training?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Inb4 the tears?
View Quote

Serious question, and not trying to be an ass or call you out. Hell, I'm not even sure if we have any New Mexico L.E. here, so not trying to White Knight for them.

But, you put a lot of work and hours into getting a Law Degree and passing the BAR, and then putting in the work doing the job for years. I assume that since you moved you are going to Motion the Utah BAR for Reciprocity?

Would you be ok if a rich celebrity (I know you are the real celebrity, but go with me here) went to the Utah (or NY) and bought themselves a Law Degree without ever stepping foot in Law school, paid to pass and not even take the BAR, and bought themselves a Law License (forgive me if I have the steps and/or terminology wrong)? Would you just be good for them they fucked the system?

If so, where does that end?

Stolen Valor in a Army Surplus bought uniform to get free pancakes at IHOP? Fuck the system.

Printing up a fake Handicap Placard to park closer to the store? Fuck the system.

Collecting Welfare when really an able bodied person that could work but is lazy? Fuck the system.

By the way how much can I pay Site Staff here to be made a Moderator? I want to carry a timeout button. Fuck this system.

ETA: I know I have to send pics instead money for favors here......

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NameState
1-David AdivNJ
2-Mario ArmijoCA
3-Andrew ArrabitoCA
4-James AssadCA
5-Louie III BanksNC
6-Dan BilzerianCA
7-Kevin Boland
8-David BolgianoDE
9-Nicolaas BoschKS
10-Oliver BrooksNM
11-Allan BrooksTX
12-Truman BrooksCT
13-Jonathan CanipeCO
14Bryan CarpenterMS
15Toshiro CarringtonCA
16Craig CastellanosCA
17Come ChantrelCA
18Adam ChavezNM
19Hunt CollinsCA
20Christopher ConnorsMD
21Brian CookCA
22Charles Cotey
23Akshara CritesNM
24Keith DarisCA
25Cameron DieterleVA
26Mark DietzNM
27Skip Drish
28Nicholas EsayianCA
29Warren EvertKS
30Art FabelaNM
31Jason Falla
32Ralph FisherMI
33Burns ForsytheNM
34Tej Gill
35Chris GivvinesMD
36Jose Gordon
37Jonathan GourleyCO
38Royler GracieCA
39Royce GracieCA
40Michael GreenVA
41Tyler Grey
42Chase HamiltonNM
43Andrew HaywoodUT
44Sean Hergerger
45Ronald HillFL
46Stephen HodnettTX
47Daniel HutsonNM
48AJ James
49Mark JohnsonAZ
50Jerod JohnsonAZ
51Charles KauffmanNM
52Kevin KentCA
53John KlierCA
54David Kuang
55Simon KubiakNM
56Charles LaffertyPA
57Raymond Jr. Lallo
58Mark LaRueTX
59Charles LaskyWI
60Charles III LawCA
61Duane LiptakTX
62Marcus Luttrell
63Brian Mackey
64Daniel McClelland
65Robert MercerNY
66Frank MetholaNM
67James Miller
68Dustin MohacsiCA
69Andrew Mullins
70Piya NavanugrahaCA
71Terry NelsonNM
72Jordan NighbertNM
73Donald OchoaCA
74Micah OlsenAZ
75Robert O’Neil
76James Patterson
77Danielle PinkstonCA
78Matthew PowellNM
79Kevin PowerNM
80Charles PressburgNC
81Peter Pukish
82Harrison RakesNM
83Timothy ReamsTX
84Evan ReesNM
85David Rhoden
86Glenn RiccioVA
87Freddie RichardCA
88Xavier RiesID
89William RiveraTX
90William RodriguezTX
91Thomas SamplesDE
92Damon Schaefer
93Matthew SchamrothNY
94Richard SchulzeFL
95Arthur SchulzeFL
96James SmithVA
97Tyrone SmithCA
98Timothy St HilaireTX
99Christopher StoehnerNM
100Michael SzotRI
101David Paul ThomasKS
102Lewis ThomasKS
103Alexander TraftonCA
104Christopher Wear
105George Wells
106Harlan Williamson
107Scott WolffNV
108Bryan YarbroCA
109Trent ZimmerLA

(Table of Lake Arthur Reserve Police Officer Roster)

View Quote

So many douchebags….. they want all of the privledges but none of the responsibilities or education.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What round for brother in law?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahh, the good ole Roland special

What round for brother in law?

Apparently 9mm + tequila
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Serious question, and not trying to be an ass or call you out. Hell, I'm not even sure if we have any New Mexico L.E. here, so not trying to White Knight for them.

But, you put a lot of work and hours into getting a Law Degree and passing the BAR, and then putting in the work doing the job for years. I assume that since you moved you are going to Motion the Utah BAR for Reciprocity?

Would you be ok if a rich celebrity (I know you are the real celebrity, but go with me here) went to the Utah (or NY) and bought themselves a Law Degree without ever stepping foot in Law school, paid to pass and not even take the BAR, and bought themselves a Law License (forgive me if I have the steps and/or terminology wrong)? Would you just be good for them they fucked the system?

Stolen Valor in a Army Surplus bought uniform to get free pancakes at IHOP? Fuck the system.

Printing up a fake Handicap Placard to park closer to the store? Fuck the system.

Collecting Welfare when really an able bodied person that could work but is lazy? Fuck the system.

By the way how much can I pay Site Staff here to be made a Moderator? I want to carry a timeout button. Fuck this system.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you think the 2nd amendment is something you should have to have do all the above for?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you think the 2nd amendment is something you should have to have do all the above for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone should be able to carry nationwide.

Using gun industry or military connections to impersonate being a police officer is shady as fuck.

Both are true.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Using gun industry or military connections to impersonate being a police officer is shady as fuck.

Both are true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are true.

What about multiple troll accounts on Arfcom
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  With my California, New Hampshire, Utah & Arizona permits, plus constitutional carry, there are very few places I cannot legally carry.  LEOSA does not exempt you from California’s mag capacity restrictions BTW.
View Quote

NY, communist New England, & Colorado I believe, as well as all the islands.  You get California b/c you live in a conservative county.  As a non-resident, I can't get a California permit, theoretically I could get a non-resident NY permit, but not for NYC.

I need to pick up a N Dakota permit, that would give me Washington & Minnesota, I think, that I don't have w/ my Texas permit.  For awhile, an ARFCOMer ran a US map that you could enter the permits you had & it would show you where you could & couldn't go.  I had fun adding repeated non-resident permits (that I don't have) and eventually you'd overrun the buffers & the whole map would turn green, lol.  There are a couple of decent similar maps out there.

I don't particularly want to travel all over the US regularly, but it would be nice to hold most of my Constitutional birthright in my hands.  It's frustrating that Americans have to go about unarmed in their own country.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So many douchebags….. they want all of the privledges but none of the responsibilities or education.
View Quote

Real question, not trying to fling arguments your way, but do you have knowledge of the “education” levels and the kind of responsibility a lot of those names on that list have had in their adjacent careers?
Whether you think they should’ve gotten a volunteer badge or not — valid opinion open to polite discussion. But blanket-calling some of those heroes “douchebags” really blows by the combined hundreds of years of service and some grueling physical and personal sacrifices they’ve given to the USA.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  But did they actually fuck the system? I'm no expert on New Mexico, but most states have LE requirements that have to be actually met to be an LE Officer. Meeting those requirements to be a Certified Officer is required for LEOSA. From what I remember the "Reserves" in Lake Arthur didn't meet the requirements and were given credentials as if they did when they weren't allowed to. Which once find out were taken away and a big shit storm ensued (including ARFCOM threads every few months). Someone might as well buy a badge off ebay and make a fake Police I.D. because that is all theirs were in the end.

Just my badge and ID doesn't make me a Law Enforcement Officer in the State of TN. I had to graduate a six month Police Academy (My liberal city P.D. added feel good shit to make ours longer than any other Academy in the state), and then annually thereafter, I have to complete 40 hours of in-service training to include firearms, driving, law update, ethics, diversity, blah, blah, blah. Also annually, I then have to separately recertify/refresh/re-train any other certifications/training/skills that I have or use in any special assignments. Records of all the above are kept with the state POST Commission.

In other TLDR words I don't think they fucked the system. Especially considering one of them got in a shoot out in another jurisdiction that hasn't been resolved yet I don't think. Imagine if one of your friends/family were shot by a guy that didn't meet the requirements/training/authority to even be in the situation that lead to your friend/family being shot by him.  

Why does GD rants about the Police being poorly trained when shit happens, and then is fine with people buying themselves into a Police role and having no training?
View Quote

Yes, LEOSA and NM require training, but if nobody's checking (which they weren't), and you hit a metal detector in NYC, which would you rather have?  A Lake Arthur PD "Reservist" badge w/ a phone # who will confirm you're a "Reservist"?  Or a state LTC that's not recognized in NYC and now you're gonna get loved tenderly?

For Mark LaRue and Duane Liptak, it was good enough til the idiots ruined it for everyone else, as always happens.  For most of the LA reservists, it was about LEOSA creds - for a few, it was to play cop & that's what got someone killed & the program shut down.  I'm fine w/ the 99% that got to run around w/ LEOSA for a few years.

How hard is it to invent a police department?  Asking for a friend.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How hard is it to invent a police department?  Asking for a friend.  
View Quote

I dont think its too hard, look at all the "1-2 etc man" chief of police/mayor, small one horse towns in the rural areas of the US that speed trap the major highway that runs thru their town that makes up 98% of their tickets. Don't we get these threads from time to time with everyone sayin they shouldn't exist
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is the thing that stands out to me. It works different in each state, but most STATES have a training requirement, ranging from "some, but not much" to, "All cops in this state are graduates of the full Police Academy."

When we drill down to the local level, there are usually political people that limit/notice/pay attention to the number of reserves.  

Personal Tangent:

I am a cop in Texas.  In Texas, all cops must go through the same "Full" Police Academy.   I was able to stop working in my mid 20's....and I did.  Its a long story, but I decided that one of the things I wanted to do with a "free to do anything life" was to go through the full Police Academy and be a Reserve cop.

I did that.  I succeeded. And then it turned into a full time job, because I really loved it.   After several years, it turned back into a reserve job.

Then...after all that insanity and weirdness, I ended up an an actor in film and TV. with a few starring credits...and I moved away from where I reserved for a City.

Now, I am interviewing with cities where I live.  My cop resume is good.   My life is insane.  I am discovering some agencies are not interested because of my hollywood life.  I respect them.  Their admin are more concerned about the realities of their mission than what I could invite into their world.  Some dont care.  If i have the cop creds (I do) and can do the job (I can), they need me.  Some are interested in me bringing "celeb" cred to their world.  

It is an interesting journey.  Personally, I just want to keep doing cop stuff.  But it is becoming harder and harder.  Not often, but I do ger recognized, and the local press does like to write stories about the "cop that is an actor."

I am not bitching, but it is an intersting process to navigate.

It isnt the same, because he was many times the man I will ever be and many time the actor, but I wish I could talk with Jimmy Stewart and hear his wisdom right now.

View Quote

I was in a similar spot.  I was an auxiliary for three years with my current agency while I was an active duty AF cop.  When I decided to leave active duty and pursue a full time slot, I was lucky to get a fulltime slot.  Back in the 90s it was very competitive to get hired on in my area and you either came from the auxiliary/reserves or from another full time agency.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a bit of a leap. Nobody has stated they want untrained people acting as police. People are sick of unconstitutional laws that restrict their ability to protect themselves and LEOSA allows you bypass many of those restrictive laws. People were simply saying they are ok or at least understand why someone used the BS department to go around the bad laws.
Quoted:

Real question, not trying to fling arguments your way, but do you have knowledge of the “education” levels and the kind of responsibility a lot of those names on that list have had in their adjacent careers?
Whether you think they should’ve gotten a volunteer badge or not — valid opinion open to polite discussion. But blanket-calling some of those heroes “douchebags” really blows by the combined hundreds of years of service and some grueling physical and personal sacrifices they’ve given to the USA.

View Quote

Why is what they do or have done elsewhere relevant at all? There are those that played by the rules and those that chose not to. People used money and influence to buy their way into creds they didn't earn. I don't see why past service changes that. Charles Pressburg spent most of his life serving his country. He also shot his brother in law in the leg while drinking in a bar. Past service doesn't make someone good or make them good decision makers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

NY, communist New England, & Colorado I believe, as well as all the islands.  You get California b/c you live in a conservative county.  As a non-resident, I can't get a California permit, theoretically I could get a non-resident NY permit, but not for NYC.

I need to pick up a N Dakota permit, that would give me Washington & Minnesota, I think, that I don't have w/ my Texas permit.  For awhile, an ARFCOMer ran a US map that you could enter the permits you had & it would show you where you could & couldn't go.  I had fun adding repeated non-resident permits (that I don't have) and eventually you'd overrun the buffers & the whole map would turn green, lol.  There are a couple of decent similar maps out there.

I don't particularly want to travel all over the US regularly, but it would be nice to hold most of my Constitutional birthright in my hands.  It's frustrating that Americans have to go about unarmed in their own country.
View Quote

Interestingly there are some places where in theory LEOSA doesn't apply but a state permit does, specifically some federal property and school property where a carry permit is a written exception in the statute but off duty LEOSA carry isn't.  Depends on the state and I doubt that in practice a cop is going to arrest an off duty LEO but the law has some weird cutouts.

https://le.nra.org/understanding-leosa/off-limit-areas/
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Not all that uncommon, abet in this case there appears to have been benifits.  My father's uncle had a badge from Terlinqua (google said population of 110).  I don't know what amount he "donated" to the department, but do seem to recall it also required a donation of time as well.  I would have to wag, but I suspect besides getting a very unique badge, he also used it to get an effective open carry permit in Texas before CHL's were even allowed.  That said, he might have gotten his carry permit through other means, he knew and contributed to a LOT of politicians.  I recall his office had pictures of him with at least 4 sitting Presidents.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not the best analogy. 7 years, minimum, to get a law degree and 13-19 weeks to be a cop.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've met and paid for training FROM some of those guys, others of them are my FB friends and we've met at SHOT because we've all worked in the industry.  Stay in your lane used to be a thing on the old LF.  If you're the Kel I think you are, we've met.  All of them could take classes from me on how to do car stops, case law and constitutional use of force.

I'm going to coin a new word, it's an action verb called a Pannone: never having been a cop and thinking you can teach cop stuff/do cop stuff because you were in Delta.

The poser parody version of this is to call yourself a Sheriff of something you are not.

This pisses me off almost as much as cops who refer to themselves as Operators.

All of these things can be true: many of the folks on that list, not Mark Larue, are great Americans who have done more for their country than 99% of the populace AND who were posing as cops without being qualified to do so.

I am in favor of nationwide, constitutional concealed carry for all Americans, to include those convicted of non-violent felonies who have completed their sentences.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m sure that happens somewhere, but I doubt entirely fake reserve programs are common.  If they are then it should be easy to name one or two.
View Quote

https://www.police1.com/celebrity/articles/shaquille-oneal-sworn-in-as-ga-deputy-HAGcJ7t0EPdIk1Pt/
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not the best analogy. 7 years, minimum, to get a law degree and 13-19 weeks to be a cop.
View Quote

It’s a great analogy.

It’s about faking a certification, not the requirement of the certification.

I know many lawyers that wouldn’t be able to get past the initial application of being a police officer.  Likewise, many cops could never be lawyers.  Being one doesn’t qualify you to be the other.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nobody has stated they want untrained people acting as police… Why is what they do or have done elsewhere relevant at all? …People used money and influence to buy their way into creds they didn't earn. I don't see why past service changes that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nobody has stated they want untrained people acting as police… Why is what they do or have done elsewhere relevant at all? …People used money and influence to buy their way into creds they didn't earn. I don't see why past service changes that.

I would posit that many of the folks that volunteered to help out at LA were amazingly well trained and real-world experienced in emergency trauma care, search & rescue, evidence collection, witness/perp interviewing, and other EMT/Police-applicable skills.
Of course there was also *way* more firearms, LTL, and unarmed restraint knowledge -including when & how NOT to use force- than you’d find in most any department multiple times it’s size. Does that 1-to-1 substitute for “policing” experience or Academy training? No, but to make it sound like those skills & experience isn’t applicable or transferable to police work is silly.

Quoted:
Past service doesn't make someone good or make them good decision makers.

Examples of bad decisions and bad apples are frequently posted about “real” cops that have been caught with pants down in the job (euphemistically as well as literally.) Take any large sample pool of dudes in any job (even POST certified bona fide cops that pass this thread’s purity test) and you’re going to occasionally see people make amazing, career ending blunders.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would posit that many of the folks that volunteered to help out at LA were amazingly well trained and real-world experienced in emergency trauma care, search & rescue, evidence collection, witness/perp interviewing, and other EMT/Police-applicable skills.
Of course there was also *way* more firearms, LTL, and unarmed restraint knowledge -including when & how NOT to use force- than you’d find in most any department multiple times it’s size. Does that 1-to-1 substitute for “policing” experience or Academy training? No, but to make it sound like those skills & experience isn’t applicable or transferable to police work is silly.
View Quote

Nobody said they weren't well trained but the problem with that part of your argument is that they weren't using those skills to better Lake Arthur so mentioning their skills is silly. It's been way too long so I don't remember the details of the whole ordeal but I thought most of it was the chief wanting to rub elbows with dudes he thought were cool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#27]

O’Neil has been sworn in at many departments across the United States.  Most, like the above, are honorary positions.  It’s publicity stunts for both sides, not some hidden sham for fake credentials.  It isn’t even close to Lake Arthur’s fraudulent reserve program, however, Shaq probably has more legit law enforcement training certifications than the entire list of Lake Arthur make believe reserves.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:58:31 AM EDT
[#28]

For the record, Shaq is not a good example of a celeb pretending to be a cop.  He is a graduate of a real Academy and has held legitimate positions and a reserve police officer.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s a great analogy.

I know many lawyers that wouldn’t be able to get past the initial application of being a police officer.  Likewise, many cops could never be lawyers.  Being one doesn’t qualify you to be the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a great analogy.

Realtor, or some other profession that only requires a GED and a short course, would have been a better analogy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Where is this 13 week reserve officer course?  In Texas it's 6 months.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  With my California, New Hampshire, Utah & Arizona permits, plus constitutional carry, there are very few places I cannot legally carry.  LEOSA does not exempt you from California’s mag capacity restrictions BTW.

Colorado is shall issue, doesn't give a shit about mag restrictions outside of Denver, and had reciprocity with any state which recognizes our CCWs including yours.  We are a fairly liberal state yes, but our gun laws are pretty damn good still
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

GED & 13 weeks
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really a time thing.

In Texas the state mandated syllabus is around 750 hours now.  Every cop in Texas (for the last few decades or so) must pass the the "Full Academy" or qualify for something else, based on other, real, police training.

So, the Academy is as long as that takes, based on the format of the Academy.  A full time Academy can knock it out in a few months. A part time Academy may take a year.  But again, in Texas (and many other states) you have to take the full ride (or an approved equivelent) to be a cop.  Full time, part time, whatever.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

About 5 months full time here, almost a year if done at night like most part time/reserve people have to complete it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

About 5 months full time here, almost a year if done at night like most part time/reserve people have to complete it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“About 5 months” is the top of the 13-19 week range. The overwhelming majority fall into that range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did steven seagull become a reserve deputy?
View Quote

Only in Moscow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

“About 5 months” is the top of the 13-19 week range. The overwhelming majority fall into that range.
View Quote

Ok, you have your GED and academy done.  You are hired, what happens next?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, a tremendous number of embarrassing events for law enforcement.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  The vast majority of cops are out there trudging through it, without being the ones who make the news for "embarrassing events".  But, you go ahead and think that.  

The answer is there are very few places where you go straight from the academy to riding in a car and taking calls.  You will complete more department training at any decent agency before you get to do solo patrol.  

Of course you can just ride with the Chief.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think calling them badge bunnies may not be correct.  More likely they wanted the perceived ability to carry (almost) anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, I just looked up the membership roster...Lot's of SEALS and a few GB's that were secretly badge bunnies!  

I think calling them badge bunnies may not be correct.  More likely they wanted the perceived ability to carry (almost) anywhere.

I’d do it just for that reason
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Pay to play.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn,saw a famous Seal,from Texas on that list.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

One of the "deputies".

View Quote
Its okay, he's a former Tier One dude. Many on here have given him a pass since he's a vet bro trying to fight off those demons with a booze bottle daily. Its okay to be a fake cop and shoot somebody as long as you can get on a podcast and wow the crowd after your court hearing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn,saw a famous Seal,from Texas on that list.
View Quote

Marcus Lutrell? Can you not say the name? If you do does he show up and fall down the hill in your back yard?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of it in Ohio. Reserves require the same training as full timers here if they are going to have arrest authority and peace officer status. Most are either retired full timers, or recent academy grads waiting for a full time opening,  and are required to actually show up a certain number of hours per year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was gonna, say I've seen this come across more than a few cases on police news channels to question how widespread this activity is

I'm not aware of it in Ohio. Reserves require the same training as full timers here if they are going to have arrest authority and peace officer status. Most are either retired full timers, or recent academy grads waiting for a full time opening,  and are required to actually show up a certain number of hours per year.

Reserves are far and few between here.

And I've never seen them carry. I think they're called Auxiliary officers and are restricted to traffic control and other non enforcement functions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top