User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm good with people bitching about California when it's fact based. These threads end up being full of posts based upon nothing more than blinding hatred for all things California and the need to blame the California boogeyman.

The document I linked is probably the easiest to understand the cuts the news is reporting using the table from it posted below.  

It is not the only document/agreement/court order/etc., and the document I linked references many of them; most notably is the 2007 Interim Guidance for Shortages, which is in effect through 2025, and the Colorado River Compact, the original agreement going WAY back. All of the "Law of The River" determines how the river is being managed and water is being allocated.  

This table is on page 52 (if you export it as a PDF) and it combines the amounts of water the states give up under the 2019 DCP and the 2007 Interim Guidance for Shortages.  

Signatures of the 7 Colorado River Basin state reps are on page 2 and 3.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/367483/Screen_Shot_2022-08-17_at_8_24_09_PM-2493264.png

The Bureau of Reclamation's August 2022 projection for Lake Mead level on Jan 1 2023 is 1,047.61 feet

From the table:

When lake mead levels are below 1050 and above 1045 feet:

Arizona is cut 592,000 acre feet of their 2.8 million acre feet allocation or 21.14%.

Nevada is cut 25,000 acre feet of their 300,000 acre feet allocation or 8.33%.

California is cut 0 acre feet of their 4.4 million acre feet allocation.  

A news article to support my claim of the cuts being previously agreed upon by the basin states and aligning with the cuts published in the 2019 DCP:

...[US] bureau [of reclamation] and Department of Interior officials told a news conference they would give the states more time to reach a deal affecting the water supply of 40 million people.

They instead fell back on previously negotiated cuts that for the second year in a row will impose reductions on Nevada, Arizona and the country of Mexico, which also receives a Colorado River allotment.

A 24-month forecast released on Tuesday showed falling levels of the two largest reservoirs on the river, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, will trigger the previously negotiated cuts.

Arizona, Nevada and Mexico will have supplies reduced for a second straight year: 21% for Arizona, 8% for Nevada...

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/us-western-states-deadlocked-cutting-colorado-river-use-2022-08-16/

I hadn't seen this when I made my post with the link to the 2019 DCP, but it also backs up the claim that these are previously agreed upon cuts from the 2019 DCP and 2017 Interim Guidance for Shortages:

...Lake Mead will operate in its first-ever Level 2a Shortage Condition in calendar year 2023 (Jan. 1, 2023, through Dec. 31, 2023).

The August 24-Month Study projects Lake Mead's Jan. 1, 2023, operating determination elevation to be 1,047.61 feet, which is calculated by taking Lake Mead's projected end of calendar year 2022 physical elevation (1,040.78 feet) and adding the 480,000 acre-feet of water held back in Lake Powell to Lake Mead's capacity to maintain operational neutrality.

The projected elevation of 1,047.61 feet reflects a Level 2a Shortage Condition, within the DCP elevation band of 1,045 and 1,050 feet, with required shortage reductions and water savings contribution for the Lower Basin States and Mexico, pursuant to Minute 323, as follows:

Arizona: 592,000 acre-feet, which is approximately 21% of the state's annual apportionment
Nevada: 25,000 acre-feet, which is 8% of the state's annual apportionment
Mexico: 104,000 acre-feet, which is approximately 7% of the country's annual allotment

There is no required water savings contribution for California in 2023 under this operating condition...

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/interior-department-announces-actions-protect-colorado-river-system-sets-2023
View Quote
I really didn't mean to make you work that hard.

I was more pointing out that "those numbers" weren't accurate. I believe it all spawned from the lazy reporting that realwar quoted. They said AZ and NV will cut up to 21%. Well that sure as hell isn't what I read but I guess it's technically accurate. Lazy and sloppy but technically accurate. I read AZ is going to cut a shit ton. While NV cuts a little and CA cuts zero. The way it was phrased made it sound like both states would cut up to 21%.

I wanted to point out that AZ gets the short end of the stick again because we do a better job managing our resources.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Stolen from @nvroundguy in the ULUL thread. I thought it belonged here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Lake Mead rising, crews to adjust boat ramp for higher water level

Lake Mead rising, crews to adjust boat ramp for higher water level
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Lake Mead & Hoover Dam Update August 2022
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, up 20” so far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given last weeks second vegas flood, I presume the lake levels have risen.

Another month of the torrents, and lake mead will be full again.

Yep, up 20” so far.

that's almost 2 feet!
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Hillary Clinton Spotted Desperately Trying To Refill Lake Mead Before More Bodies Surface

View Quote

https://babylonbee.com/news/hillary-clinton-spotted-desperately-trying-to-refill-lake-mead-before-more-bodies-surface

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The Death Of Echo Bay Resort and Marina at Lake Mead

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_778r8EGbk
View Quote

I practically grew up there.

So sad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Finding the Beginning of the Colorado River

Finding the Beginning of the Colorado River
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top