BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your take on good leadership. Is it a natural-born thing, or can it be taught? A little of both?

My take on leadership is that people emphasize it too much.

The world needs far more planners, more day in and day out do-ers, more people willing to take the time to gain substantial knowledge in their area of interest.

The US is too full of people who think leadership is going to get them through life successfully, is going to set them apart.

A "leader" is often just someone who thinks they know how to tell people to get things done.  Most often their assistance is entirely unhelpful and unnecessary.

In politics, the US doesn't need to be "led".  We need to be freed of such people who think they know best.

Any good leader makes an excellent follower, as well. Don't mistake authority for leadership.

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say life experiences and environment have more to do with it than anything.  Here is why.  Unless there is something magical about being first born in a family....the expections put on first born makes them excel at being leaders.

THE FIRST BORN PHENOMENON

●Two-thirds of all entrepreneurs are firstborns
●Twenty-one of the first twenty-three astronauts were firstborns
●Firstborns are twice as likely as laterborns to become CEOs
●Fifty-five percent of all supreme court justices have been firstborns
●Over half of U.S. Presidents have been firstborns

HOW DO WE EXPLAIN THIS PHENOMENON?

●People have higher expectations for first borns
●First borns are given more responsibility
●First borns get more encouragement, feedback and attentions

http://www.legalauthorityblog.com/2009/05/the-first-born-phenomenon/
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Both!
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your take on good leadership. Is it a natural-born thing, or can it be taught? A little of both?

My take on leadership is that people emphasize it too much.

The world needs far more planners, more day in and day out do-ers, more people willing to take the time to gain substantial knowledge in their area of interest.

The US is too full of people who think leadership is going to get them through life successfully, is going to set them apart.

A "leader" is often just someone who thinks they know how to tell people to get things done. Most often their assistance is entirely unhelpful and unnecessary.

In politics, the US doesn't need to be "led". We need to be freed of such people who think they know best.

Any good leader makes an excellent follower, as well. Don't mistake authority for leadership.

+1

I'd say before one can lead, they must follow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont believe it's either, but learned as a person matures in life. How does a person like Joshua Chamberlain explain his leadership skills? Some have better then others.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some people are born with it and some people are able to learn it...some can't ever learn it.

Bam.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people are born with it and some people are able to learn it...some can't ever learn it.

The sad part is that more often than not they think they are good leaders when in fact they are horrible.

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it is just like teaching someone to play a instrument, like Guitar, for example.

You can teach those who want to learn. If they put the time into learning the instrument, they can be pretty good. Some won't ever be good at it.

There are those few though that have either a inborn latent ability(aka talent) and most likely grew up around musicians who go above and beyond everyone else. How often have you heard a top level musician say "my father/mother/family  was/is highly musical and I ran with it"...there is some inborn ability there, some nutured in.

LEadership is the same way. Most can be taught to be pretty good at it..the best are either born with the personality for it and/or grew up in an enviorment that nutured the skills needed.

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for evening leaders
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After many years as a Manager of a Training Department at a large refinery, where we trained many folks to be Supervisors, I can say that I came to the conclusion that training can "help" a person to be "better" as a leader.  

But the ability to be a true leader is something a person is either born with, or will never have.  They can be trained to be "better", but they will never be great.

So, so very true.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
born with it
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another thing to consider.

A leader may be hell on wheels at the squad, platoon, or company level...and be someone whos troops will willingly go through hell with  And then peter out at higher command levels.  By the same token, they could be mediocre, at best, with small units yet, be hell on wheels at division level.

leadership skills are more important to company grade officers. Management skills are more important to field grade and above.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Leadership can't be taught.  It can only be learned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Born mosty but also taught.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Leadership principles can be taught. Leadership traits are developed the same way a persons character is developed; from early in life and over time. If a person doesn't have a good foundation set early in life, you can't make them a good leader late in life. You might be able to make them a good manager, but there's a world of difference between a manager and a leader.

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You are a product of your environment.

You live up to your environment, but without the genetic hand dealt to favor a certain potential, you will fail to live up to every expectation.

Or, do you think that the only reason Eskimos aren't better olympic distance runners is because no one ever brought one up to be, but the Kenyans just got a better support structure for that sort of thing?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top