Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3d printed house is cheap fairly bulletproof and fire resistant.
View Quote

Oh?

Link to an outfit that does that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
a one star BC told me once, 'if you are going to defend from a fixed possiton make sure it is fortified" lots of good ideas here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3d printed house is cheap fairly bulletproof and fire resistant.

Oh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5IxVPpkkWXI
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I vote for a Moat
View Quote

An outer moat, loaded with large, starved saltwater crocs. The inner one has sharks with lasers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

No I mean who actually builds and sells houses built that way.

Since they don’t meet the building code.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
My ideal place.

Would be like a walled  illa or something you'd see in a Roman movie...well sides half naked dudes lol.

Center court yard with
Water source/feature
Garden/edibles like certain fruits.
Bottom floor is cooking. Dining guest rooms.safe room.
Gen, pump room attached and access through court yard area.
Upstairs would be living areas for family.
One room at each corner.
Front entry would be walled as well.
Gate to enter...high walled
Large entry doors.
Safe room would have a escape tunnel..but only Large enough to use a rail system ( think great escape).
Entry hatch locks only from in the tunnel dame with exit.
Lots of fences...and choke points to get to the main house area

I've thought about what fuck you money could build me.
But to much to type on my phone lol.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How do you have a basement on a stilt house?
View Quote

The same way you build a two story steel reinforced concrete house with a basement. You just don't finish out the ground floor silly. That's a garage area.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Geothermal/heat pump powered by solar or wind

Lots of insulation.

Hurricane glass for added insulation and security from intruders.

Stone or brick will provide nice aesthetics while providing ballistic protection.

Space for a garden
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Some immediate thoughts:

Quoted:
-A large pantry room with an area for canning
“Canning” is only useful if you have the land/access to grow food.  Useless otherwise.  Waste of valuable storage space in urban setting.
-A centralized wood burning stove or perhaps several smaller.
No longer legal for new construction in some areas, watch for this.  Consider stove construction with incorporation of ability to heat home water/incorporate kitchen duties/smoke meat
-A dedicated space for solar components (possibly in basement)
Not legal to be “off grid” in some areas.  Battery storage underneath living quarters not optimal/dangerous, but I like where your head is at.
-High windows that can be opened on top to facilitate hot air to escape
90 degree vents that can be turned for preferred wind direction?  Could vent or draw as required.  Also ability to secure.
-A sally port designed as a foyer.
Not necessary—make the access control the mud room and concentrate on hardened entry points
-360 degree visibility from inside while also limiting access
-A large mud room/laundry with floor tubs and drains
Yes!  Delete tubs and incorporate overhead shower nozzle(s). Use space that tubs would’ve used for storage lockers for “outside”/mud garments
-Access controlled by elevated decks that are modified easily
Not necessary given a mud room control point/“airlock”.  Need good surveillance of mud room
-At least a partially in ground basement for an additional pantry but you will need to have a way to secure the basement access if it is a walkout
-A garage that could be converted into an airy kitchen if need be
View Quote

If I was in the market for such, I’d rather have underground bunker/storage/shelter separated/accessible from main house with a secured secondary exit, rather than basement.  Far enough away to be secure from damage from the main structure burning/collapsing.

A greenhouse and water supply are top requirements.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a few companies now are making them and habitat for humanity is now using 3d printing.
https://m.all3dp.com/2/best-companies-building-3d-printed-houses/
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Security shutters.

In California I had pre-cut 3/4" thick plywood to cover the front facing windows. I screwed the planks to the top of the garage ceiling.
View Quote

This.

A big selling point for me would be pre-installed armored shutters.  The ability to immediately harden the structure with a minimum of work is a requirement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In door shooting range underground.
A butcher room complete with water, drains, showers, and refrigeration to age store meat.  
View Quote

An ISR isn’t a great idea for a Prepper place, but is a fun idea.  The ventilation/lead control requirements are costly and provide another access point to intruders.  I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.  

Butcher room with refrigeration is a possibility given DC freezer and solar.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right off the bat let's have some basis in reality. A bullet proof house isn't reality. As well this needs to be a home that people can afford that are middle class. I will throw out a few of my ideas to get started but maybe others have some thoughts that would be a good addition. Keep in mind there are real challenges here when it comes to the reality of building today. Windows must meet egress and they must be present. So that makes security tougher but what if they were accesses by a deck design that could be removed in a necessary situation? This needs to be a home design so people can live in it today without it looking weird, not a home for a Mad Max scenario.

-A large pantry room with an area for canning
-A centralized wood burning stove or perhaps several smaller.
-A dedicated space for solar components (possibly in basement)
-High windows that can be opened on top to facilitate hot air to escape
-A sally port designed as a foyer.
-360 degree visibility from inside while also limiting access
-A large mud room/laundry with floor tubs and drains
-Access controlled by elevated decks that are modified easily
-At least a partially in ground basement for an additional pantry but you will need to have a way to secure the basement access if it is a walkout
-A garage that could be converted into an airy kitchen if need be

What else would be appealing to you as a perspective buyer?
View Quote

Concrete construction.  Not only durable and very energy-efficient, but also provides protection from things like tornados and even bullets!
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
icf concrete walls or double thick with 6" of gravel in the extra thickness, or  3/8 4x10 ar500 laid sideways in the wall giving 4' high protection from gunfire, or in ground house with 3 walls covered in dirt, with exposed wall concrete with reinforced shutters.

this is probably most cost effective, and offers other benefits. leaves one exterior wall to uparmor.  but then you already have 3 walls of reinforced concrete, might as well do 4. with 8" this reinforced concrete walls your pretty much done.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/house_earth_jpg-2364839.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/house_earth_2_jpg-2364841.JPG
View Quote

Great for energy efficiency.

I wouldn't want to be blind on one side, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My ideal place.

Would be like a walled  illa or something you'd see in a Roman movie...well sides half naked dudes lol.

Center court yard with
Water source/feature
Garden/edibles like certain fruits.
Bottom floor is cooking. Dining guest rooms.safe room.
Gen, pump room attached and access through court yard area.
Upstairs would be living areas for family.
One room at each corner.
Front entry would be walled as well.
Gate to enter...high walled
Large entry doors.
Safe room would have a escape tunnel..but only Large enough to use a rail system ( think great escape).
Entry hatch locks only from in the tunnel dame with exit.
Lots of fences...and choke points to get to the main house area

I've thought about what fuck you money could build me.
But to much to type on my phone lol.

View Quote

We think very similarly.  I've been giving thought to building a rammed earth house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I daydream about this all the time.

Impact resistant laminate on all windows

All doorways reinforced

hidden room or at least hidden gun storage areas

"safe" room

perhaps a hidden door leading to a tunnel and a bomb shelter type spot located away from the house. Fully stocked, lockable, and also maybe a hidden door for escape

Solar power for crucial systems (depending on location)

Location - fresh water, clean air, good clear lines of sight, no (or as few as possible) environmental threats.
View Quote

The hidden tunnel thing is something i actually saw in a nice home once. The very large homeplace was built in a ridge (he'd dozed the top flat before building) The main house was jutting off the southern edge of the ridge, shop was on the north side. I accidently found the connecting tunnel at a party at his house. Just an ordinary looking pantry door in the kitchen. Opened it expecting more pantry. It was a dark cavern. I uttered a "Holy shit!". He grinned and took us for a tour. Flipped on the lights. It was 10' diameter steel pipes, welded end to end and over 50 yards long. It terminated at the shop. He said he always dreamed of having a nuke-tornado/secret passage. By God, he has one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
1- primarily facing the south.  Main entry could be anywhere, but a long south wall with good access to the entirety of the house.
2- integrated greenhouse on the south side that would heat the house in the winter and cool it in the summer.
3- main power accessible with the solar batteries and control panels/inverters mounted very near.
4- electric water heaters combined with gas/propane, at least one of each.
5- Water heaters near the power panels
6- Insulation in the roof would include 2 parts-
  a- energy heel trusses allowing for blown insulation to maintain full depth over the walls
  b- Roof sheathing comprised of 7/16" osb, 1/2" insulation board, 7/16" osb.  I've only seen two houses done this way and they can be heated with a candle.
7- Don't go crazy on wall insulation, it's effect is not nearly as significant as roof insulation.  Doors and windows should be as high of quality as you can afford.
8- Plenty of geo-thermal air.  Bring a line near the propane heater, another to the wood stove and possibly another to the HVAC recirculation system.
9- My dad's cousin was killed by a drug dealer that threw a molitov cocktail to draw him out of the house and gunned him down.  Sheetrock on the outside of the house and on the eaves dramatically improves the fire resistance of the house, we do this in the mountains around the mountain west in forest fire risk areas.  It's a bit more expensive, but not terribly so.
10- Double entryway that can be dressed up nice to have a place to come in, take off shoes/coats for guests, but can also be secured as a sally port entry.
11- large floor opening in the 2nd floor that allows a good view down to the door.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quite a few companies now are making them and habitat for humanity is now using 3d printing.
https://m.all3dp.com/2/best-companies-building-3d-printed-houses/
View Quote

Looks like a couple of places will look the other way.

I wouldn’t want to be in one, but we have earthquakes here so YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Concrete House. . .just make sure ventilation is good. .

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Concrete construction.  Not only durable and very energy-efficient, but also provides protection from things like tornados and even bullets!
View Quote

I wouldn’t consider a “Prepper” place that wasn’t constructed from reinforced concrete or similar.  Fire considerations as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had the budget, I'd do the basement with poured concrete and a simple layer of cheap insulation on the outside.  At the transition to the main floor I'd move to Omni Block, which is an internally insulated CMU that performs as well as ICF construction but is a better build for a few reasons.

https://www.omniblock.com/

Framed/trussed roof built as I mentioned above.
Landscaping would take a lot of thought to provide micro-climates to improve plant diversity and productivity, as well as defensive aspects.  That's a really big design issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t consider a “Prepper” place that wasn’t constructed from reinforced concrete or similar.  Fire considerations as well.
View Quote

It's not in my 10 most critical design aspects.  A well built house can be built of wood framing, a crappy house that will burn to the ground can be made from concrete.

I would definitely have a poured concrete basement with divisions in the cellar portion so that things that never should be stored together (like apples and potatoes) can have separate air ventilation and extend their useful storage lives by double.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Lot's of great ideas guys. Unsurprisingly some of the suggestions are pushing the price of the home out of the majority of perspective buyers budgets. As well some are making it look a little more like a fortress. Regardless, it is all good to hear.

The idea in my head is have a very livable home that is in no way obvious that it can be defended and hardened. By hardened I mean not giving passerby's an easy target, not really a prolonged siege. I am not surprised that ARFcom is going to gravitate more to the security side of things immediately but I also want to incorporate the features that make living in a time with sporadic public services or broken supply lines a little more easy as much as fighting marauders. Unfortunately some things while fantastic ideas will simply sky rocket the costs extremely quickly. Something as simple as a wrap around porch or sun room could add 50k in a blink. That doesn't mean that future additions couldn't be considered in the initial design

As well, if you guys didn't know, I build log homes which are quite appealing to folks looking to get a little more remote but I wouldn't rule out ICF either as I personally find them interesting or perhaps some combination of the two. In truth, it is becoming apparent that my business is quickly being dominated by folks fleeing cities. I need to design something they can still afford, find appealing, and is intelligent in its layout.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at ICF building instead of stick. About the same price, but you get 4” of reinforced concrete as the core of your walls.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say a design consideration should be "affordable with an average salary".
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#26]
You really need to get these two books and read them. I can't recommend them enough. They were written by Joel Skousen who is a recognized expert in the area.

He covers everything from planning considerations down to construction details. It is very well thought out. He makes it applicable to the full range of projects from remodeling to new construction while covering a wide range of sustainability and security issues.

The Secure Home  (610 pages)

The High Security Shelter  (123 pages)

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You really need to get these two books and read them. I can't recommend them enough. They were written by Joel Skousen who is a recognized expert in the area.

He covers everything from planning considerations down to construction details. It is very well thought out. He makes it applicable to the full range of projects from remodeling to new construction while covering a wide range of sustainability and security issues.

https://www.joelskousen.com/images/Secure_Home_Cover.jpeg

https://www.joelskousen.com/images/HS_Shelter_Front_Cover.jpg

View Quote

Uh...

Andrew Skousen lives a few miles from me and I've been called in on some projects where the client has had serious concerns after his design.  I think he's a nice guy...

And has some good ideas.  It's worth reading his book.  

But....
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Uh...

Andrew Skousen lives a few miles from me and I've been called in on some projects where the client has had serious concerns after his design.  I think he's a nice guy...

But....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.joelskousen.com/images/Secure_Home_Cover.jpeg

https://www.joelskousen.com/images/HS_Shelter_Front_Cover.jpg

Uh...

But....

Yeah, I bought his books based on recommendations here.  I found most of his content more than a bit strange, and not particularly useful (unless you're trying to build a small secret room in your suburban basement without your neighbors catching on).
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

An outer moat, loaded with large, starved saltwater crocs. The inner one has sharks with lasers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I vote for a Moat

I have a very nice moat filled with gators.  It's about as awesome as I thought it would be.  The only real downside is that it's accessible to boats.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I bought his books based on recommendations here.  I found most of his content more than a bit strange, and not particularly useful (unless you're trying to build a small secret room in your suburban basement without your neighbors catching on).
View Quote

Before he moved to the area I used to get called by homeowners that wanted a 'secret' room after the county had given them their occupancy permits and they didn't want it on the county radar.  Since he moved in he's been marketing and pushing to do a bunch of this stuff and I haven't seen much since then, which is fine I'm plenty busy on other stuff.

But I got asked to come review a building he engineered just last week, it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last.  I think he's the engineering equivalent to running with scissors.

ETA- if you want to know who has all the cool secret stuff, ask your concrete truck drivers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lot's of great ideas guys. Unsurprisingly some of the suggestions are pushing the price of the home out of the majority of perspective buyers budgets. As well some are making it look a little more like a fortress. Regardless, it is all good to hear.

The idea in my head is have a very livable home that is in no way obvious that it can be defended and hardened. By hardened I mean not giving passerby's an easy target, not really a prolonged siege. I am not surprised that ARFcom is going to gravitate more to the security side of things immediately but I also want to incorporate the features that make living in a time with sporadic public services or broken supply lines a little more easy as much as fighting marauders. Unfortunately some things while fantastic ideas will simply sky rocket the costs extremely quickly. Something as simple as a wrap around porch or sun room could add 50k in a blink. That doesn't mean that future additions couldn't be considered in the initial design

As well, if you guys didn't know, I build log homes which are quite appealing to folks looking to get a little more remote but I wouldn't rule out ICF either as I personally find them interesting or perhaps some combination of the two. In truth, it is becoming apparent that my business is quickly being dominated by folks fleeing cities. I need to design something they can still afford, find appealing, and is intelligent in its layout.
View Quote

I’ve seen pics of your fantastic work in other threads, the timbers you use are what, 8-10”+/- thick?  That alone has quite a bit of ballistic penetration resistance.  Couple that with the security shutters, layout/ design ideas already posted and you’re already in good shape.  

As you mentioned, aside from security - one of the largest threats is unavailability of services, including - the fire department.

Redundancy for power and water.  But in my mind, for a log home (and especially considering where they’re usually built) - one of the biggest concerns and challenges is the ability to self-suppress fire.  

Typical in-home sprinkler systems are intended to allow extra time to evacuate, not actually put out a fire (but it’s a bonus if they do) and do absolutely nothing for brush or grass fires outside.  

A water source or cistern, with remote power/ generator capability and an intake/ discharge rate high enough to put out fires would be something to consider for your scenario.

ETA:  I guess my point is, you can design and build the ultimate prepper joint, but if there’s brush/ grass fires and no FD to put them out - it’s only a matter of time until you watch all your preps turn to ash.  I’d consider an out of control brush fire in the immediate vicinity of a cabin to be an exponentially greater risk vs. a marauding horde.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I had thought of the man trap front entry way.
like a mud room but re-enforced with murder holes.
airlock type front entry is even better. but with air tight murder holes. in case of nbc. but could still let people in and verify them before letting them "in".

the ar500 around the windows and entry ways is good too.
armored shutters is a nicer touch. I was thinking of a sliding piece of plate that could be pulled into place from inside.
thicker walls is good too, but at some point you can chip your way through it.

I was also thinking of leaving a couple of door ways unarmored inside. So you know where you can shoot through the walls if they make it that far.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#33]
M242 Bushmaster Chain Gun  ports
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uh...

But....
View Quote

There's a lot of that sort of thing, particularly in this space.

It really depends what you're prepping for. Hardened positions can suck up an enormous amount of money and be useless in many scenarios.

Everything can be defeated, but I'd take a concrete structure with steel shutters if it was available. If you have any livestock or agriculture going on you'll need to go outside, gonna suck not going outside anyway.

I'd rather have a whole town full of like-minded friends and family with a broad skill base than a concrete box to die in, but community isn't really a prepper strong suit. There are dying towns in rural SC, and I'm sure other places where the populations are tiny and it shouldn't be hard to buy out the few impoverished holdouts and get a ton of infrastructure for the $.

In reality all this stuff is really hard to pull off and live a normal life for the average joe with a job and kids in school and a wife to keep happy, better off just finding a place with a reasonable amount of room for gardens and such and reasonable security (lights, locks, film on the windows, sightlines, dogs, maybe a hardened room or firing position) in an area you can actually live.

My side gig now is permaculture design, which is more about avoiding shit getting to the siege mentality stage, but I'd look for water and food sources first, efficient design that puts everything you do daily close together and less frequently used resources like orchards and timberland farther away, energy sources, fish are a very efficient protein source that require very little input to get a yield at lower intensity, way too much to say here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Added to the titles above.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m not spending scarce resources (as per OP) on a fortress.

I’m spending it on self sufficiency. Gardens, solar, heat.  All those things have many factors to consider based on location, property size, neighborhood, etc.

I have wood heat, and enough solar and battery powered equipment to keep the heat flowing, the fridges cold, and the well water pumping.  My bees, garden, and maple trees supplement food. Deep freezer with a cow (solar power able) for longer meat.  Chickens.

I’m never defending any fortress I build alone. If it gets to roving bandit time my efforts with many like minded people around me will pay off. At that point the house won’t be the hard point. Strategic areas in our town will be the hard points.

If it ever comes down to me and my fortress I already lost. Food and tools will get me so much further.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I’ve seen pics of your fantastic work in other threads, the timbers you use are what, 8-10”+/- thick?  That alone has quite a bit of ballistic penetration resistance.
View Quote

6" for Appalachian style homes but also 8" for a different style. In my own tests rounds will pass through like hot butter sadly. I wish I could say otherwise and genuinely thought they might do a bit better.

I have to admit the AR500 below the windows is a good idea and could be hidden from the inside relatively easily.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
20cm of reinforced concrete will stop most rounds short of 7.62AP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Cement, earth filled planters around the house for small arms protection
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd want it fireproof as well. Maybe Hardi Plank or brick exterior and a slate roof.

Also large diameter concrete pipe makes a decent escape tunnel to a separate outbuilding on the property if you have a low water table

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

6" for Appalachian style homes but also 8" for a different style. In my own tests rounds will pass through like hot butter sadly. I wish I could say otherwise and genuinely thought they might do a bit better.

I have to admit the AR500 below the windows is a good idea and could be hidden from the inside relatively easily.

View Quote

No need for a metal plate under the windows. A 2×6 wall with its cavity filled with sand will stop any pistol and rifle round. And will cost a fraction of AR500. Tests have been done on this matter.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-7-the-sands-o-truth/
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Some reeeeeeealllllly expensive ideas in this thread but some good ones too. You build houses so I’m sure you can sort what can be done on a budget.

ICFs
Impact resistant windows- i.e. hurricane rated or with security film
Metal roof
residential sprinklers
Safe room
Wood stove
Inter tie for generator

Would probably cover a lot of what buyers might be looking for. Agree space for water tanks, solar system batteries, etc. might be good, but I’d let the new owners decide if they want that level of complexity and maintenance.

Some of the great ideas above could be separate structures built later- greenhouse, shop, meat/food processing space, etc. if the lot has space, you can dash line a box on the site plan for “future”.

And for you moat fans, my favorite European castle/palace, Chenonceaux:

It sits IN the river.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#44]
bollards to prevent (or at least deter) vehicle ramming.

an isolatable foyer, such that a forced entry through any door will not give access to the house.  similarly, window bars/shutters interior to the glass, so that they cannot be tampered with without giving warning.

a 6-8' belt of river run gravel around the perimeter of the house so that the house cannot be approached on foot silently.

i can fantasize all day!

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some reeeeeeealllllly expensive ideas in this thread but some good ones too. You build houses so I'm sure you can sort what can be done on a budget.

ICFs
Impact resistant windows- i.e. hurricane rated or with security film
Metal roof
residential sprinklers
Safe room
Wood stove
Inter tie for generator

Would probably cover a lot of what buyers might be looking for. Agree space for water tanks, solar system batteries, etc. might be good, but I'd let the new owners decide if they want that level of complexity and maintenance.

Some of the great ideas above could be separate structures built later- greenhouse, shop, meat/food processing space, etc. if the lot has space, you can dash line a box on the site plan for "future".

And for you moat fans, my favorite European castle/palace, Chenonceaux:
https://img1.oastatic.com/img2/39566277/max/the-famous-arched-gallery-of-chateau-de-chenonceaux-over-the-cher.jpg

It sits IN the river.
View Quote
Total ripoff of Riverrun from Game of Thrones.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's what I would want:

Land:

1) One in, one out. Doesn't have to be super in the boonies, but high ground with natural protective features.
2) Farmable acres. Nice if they were already at least level.
3) Reliable water requiring minimum treatment. Well, lake, stream, etc.
4) Depending on location, a decent green house might be pretty cool to have turn-key
5) Fuel wood source (forested, or at least nearby)

Home:

1) ICF or similar construction. Concrete roof too.
2) Solar/wind/plutonium whatever to make it fully off grid possible, year round, at least for heating, cooling, and food storage.
3) Propane for normal operations (hook up municipal if possible) with at least 2x 1000 gallon tanks. Hopefully these would be protected somehow, either semi-underground, or ?
4) Hurricane roll down shutters
5) If a well, indoors + storage would be great. In a garage, shed or something.
6) Robust septic system. Like, un-cloggable.
7) Wood stove just in case.

Grey as grey can be exterior. Just one big rectangle with a steel barn would be ideal. Heck, if you can make the exterior look dilapidated, even better.

Anyone who thinks they're "defending" a fixed position against a group of people is delusional. Much better to go by unnoticed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No need for a metal plate under the windows. A 2×6 wall with its cavity filled with sand will stop any pistol and rifle round. And will cost a fraction of AR500. Tests have been done on this matter.

View Quote

I have thought about that, but really, what happens when the sand falls out of the holes they punch in the wall?
eventually you run out of protection that way.
if you want to conform to regular building, I don't think this is the best way to go.
cheapest sure.
If I had unlimited funds it would be a double layer wall with rubber between the outer wall and the sand, like a self sealing gas tank warbirds use.
but then you get into recessed windows and doors, or huge "shelfs" for the windows.

for water, I have always thought about a large tank in the garage fed by the regular water system, that goes into the rest of the house.
that way you don't have to keep purifying and cycling a stagnant tank.

and an external tank for grey water that you could use for watering.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is great info. These materials could be kept on hand and added if the homeowner ever felt the motivation.

I knew sandbags work so I don’t know why I never thought of a simple box like this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I just need a fifty cal.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top