Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2016 12:06:58 AM EDT
So let's talk about beef jerky and beef sticks what all are you guys favorites?

Personally I like the Tillimok regular and teriyaki beef sticks.

for beef jerky I don't like the thin dryed out kind , just too damn hard to chew on imho .

So guys list of your favorite brands and flavors links would be greatly appreciated I'm on a beef jerky buying spree this weekend just got my taxes back woo hoo!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Hot or Cajun
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Homemade FTW
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The best I've ever had, hands down, was home made venison jerky I got from my BIL.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Uncle mikes

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Hot is the best, used to take it to work with me all the time. Best beef jerky made
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Old Trapper Hot n Spicy

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

That's looks good gonna try some for sure !

I'm looking for a jerky that's more thicker and not as dry tough to chew on usually it seems the thicker pieces are a bit easier to chew on the thin pieces Are kinda like chewing on rawhide almost
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Homemade elk jerky is best jerky

/thread
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Old Trapper Hot n Spicy

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/tenmikemike/media/OT_Jerky_10oz_Hot_Front_New.png.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/tenmikemike/OT_Jerky_10oz_Hot_Front_New.png</a>
View Quote

Man I just can't do the super spicy stuff my stomach can't handle it anymore
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#11]
the best jerky is made by a local butcher.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Homemade FTW
View Quote

What he said.

You simply cannot legally buy jerky that is made in compliance with USDA regulations that is anywhere near as good as what you can make yourself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What he said.

You simply cannot legally buy jerky that is made in compliance with USDA regulations that is anywhere near as good as what you can make yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homemade FTW

What he said.

So if I wanted to do it at home what would be the cheapest set up that I could get away with and still make a decent jerky? Any links would be greatly appreciated?

For the guys that are making it at home are you cutting your meat razor/paper thin or can you do it in larger chunks?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So if I wanted to do it at home what would be the cheapest set up that I could get away with and still make a decent jerky? Any links would be greatly appreciated?

For the guys that are making it at home are you cutting your meat razor/paper thin or can you do it in larger chunks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homemade FTW

What he said.

Do you have an oven?

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to marinate or dry rub some thin sliced beef (thin = < 1/4"). Use top round or eye or round, or any other lean cut of beef. Cut off any white fat - jerky is not roast and it is not bbq, fat is the enemy of jerky. Stick shish kabob skewers (bamboo or steel, whatever you've got.... hell, if you want to go really cheap use steel coat hangers) through the meat and hang it from the racks in your oven. Turn your oven on to the absolute lowest temperature it will operate at, crack the door open the smallest amount you can keep it open, and let it hang there and dry until it cracks when bent.

Then eat it. Depending on how much salt you used, it may or may not be shelf stable for days/weeks/months. The reality is you are likely to eat it within a few hours or days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Homemade FTW
View Quote

Truth.
But. Alien beef jerky is absolutely delicious. Check out their website to find a flavor that appeals to you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you have an oven?

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to marinate or dry rub some thin sliced beef (thin = < 1/4"). Use top round or eye or round, or any other lean cut of beef. Cut off any white fat - jerky is not roast and it is not bbq, fat is the enemy of jerky. Stick shish kabob skewers (bamboo or steel, whatever you've got.... hell, if you want to go really cheap use steel coat hangers) through the meat and hang it from the racks in your oven. Turn your oven on to the absolute lowest temperature it will operate at, crack the door open the smallest amount you can keep it open, and let it hang there and dry until it cracks when bent.

Then eat it. Depending on how much salt you used, it may or may not be shelf stable for days/weeks/months. The reality is you are likely to eat it within a few hours or days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homemade FTW

What he said.

Do you have an oven?

Thanks for the info any ideas as far as marinades and rubs? Also what about times in the oven and our two hours?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best I've ever had, hands down, was home made venison jerky I got from my BIL.
View Quote

+1.  Best is deer that you kill and make into jerky.  For a few reasons.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:50:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the Costco brand...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Right here
Rays Own Brand
My family has been doing this since the 1930's, in business since the 40's. Most of the stuff out there is garbage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bro , I got to drive all the way to Boston if I want to go to Costco
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Homemade FTW
View Quote

Truly the best.  The unfortunate part is that it's a lot of damn work for something that you can ultimately eat in an afternoon
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info any ideas as far as marinades and rubs? Also what about times in the oven and our two hours?
View Quote

As for marinade, the only rule you must live by is NO FAT. Something as simple as 2 parts worchestershire to 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part lemon juice, plus your favorite seasoning salt or dry rub and cayenne to add heat (to whatever level you like) works great. Mine is a bit more complicated than that, but it is a result of making hundreds of pounds of jerky over the past 15 years and adjusting it based on what tasted good to me and to my family.

As for timing... it's been 14 years since I did jerky in the oven, but figure on 5 - 8 hours drying time (that's based on 3/16" slices with the door cracked open). If your oven is propane it might take a bit longer as propane creates water vapor when burned. The nice thing about jerky is you have a pretty wide time window where it is "just right", so you can do other things while it dries. You need not pull it out the very moment it is just right.

Making jerky that tastes better than anything sold at the store is easier than making a good steak. It is, quite possibly, the easiest culinary victory. Part of that is because commercial jerky makers must raise the temperature of the meat to 160+ degrees to satisfy USDA requirements. That is about as good for flavor as 10 round AR-15 magazines are for a gun lover.

The worst batch of homemade jerky is almost always going to be better tasting than the best batch of store bought jerky. It isn't that the commercial jerky makers don't know what they are doing. It is the government telling them to do it wrong. Commercial jerky is the equivalent of having Dianne Feinstein dictate the design and production of a firearm. No matter how good the manufacturer might be, their product is going to suck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I prefer jack links original.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As for marinade, the only rule you must live by is NO FAT. Something as simple as 2 parts worchestershire to 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part lemon juice, plus your favorite seasoning salt or dry rub and cayenne to add heat (to whatever level you like) works great. Mine is a bit more complicated than that, but it is a result of making hundreds of pounds of jerky over the past 15 years and adjusting it based on what tasted good to me and to my family.

As for timing... it's been 14 years since I did jerky in the oven, but figure on 5 - 8 hours drying time (that's based on 3/16" slices with the door cracked open). If your oven is propane it might take a bit longer as propane creates water vapor when burned. The nice thing about jerky is you have a pretty wide time window where it is "just right", so you can do other things while it dries. You need not pull it out the very moment it is just right.

Making jerky that tastes better than anything sold at the store is easier than making a good steak. It is, quite possibly, the easiest culinary victory. Part of that is because commercial jerky makers must raise the temperature of the meat to 160+ degrees to satisfy USDA requirements. That is about as good for flavor as 10 round AR-15 magazines are for a gun lover.

The worst batch of homemade jerky is almost always going to be better tasting than the best batch of store bought jerky. It isn't that the commercial jerky makers don't know what they are doing. It is the government telling them to do it wrong. Commercial jerky is the equivalent of having Dianne Feinstein dictate the design and production of a firearm. No matter how good the manufacturer might be, their product is going to suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir for your insight I greatly appreciate it!

So if you don't mind me asking how are you doing your jerky then in a food dehydrator? I was just thinking if it's something that I can buy that's not too expensive I might go ahead and pull the trigger .

I mean if I can get a decent dehydrator or whatever I need for less than 100 bucks I'd be good to go if it's something that's 200 - 300 bucks on the other hand then I  probably wouldn't lay the cash out .

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel or idea about how much money I have to invest in equipment in order to be able to do a halfway decent job?

Thanks again for your help !!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Ralph's is the best store bought beef jerky. Jack Link's and other soggy junk is a poor imitation of beef jerky.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is my recipe for marinade.
Slice to desired thickness and add beef and marinade to a ziplock and let sit overnight.
Place on your dehydrator until done.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Slice to desired thickness and add beef and marinade to a ziplock and let sit overnight.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
View Quote

Dude that's sounds fucking gooooood !!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#28]
This is an amazing thread
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So if you don't mind me asking how are you doing your jerky then in a food dehydrator? I was just thinking if it's something that I can buy that's not too expensive I might go ahead and pull the trigger .

I mean if I can get a decent dehydrator or whatever I need for less than 100 bucks I'd be good to go if it's something that's 200 - 300 bucks on the other hand then I  probably wouldn't lay the cash out .

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel or idea about how much money I have to invest in equipment in order to be able to do a halfway decent job?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the oven for about a year. It works, but it was a hassle skewering the meat.

I have a Nesco brand dehydrator (circular shape) that we got at Walmart for far less than $100. I used that for 14 years. I bought extra trays for it a few years ago.

I've made about 25 pounds (original, wet weight) of jerky since Christmas in my propane smokers (which you can get at Sam's Club for under $100, propane tank and wood chips sold separately). I love the smokey flavor, which is subtle and pleasant when using fruit woods like apple or cherry, and it is easier to clean than the dehydrator trays (which are dishwasher safe but are large).

Jerky is easy to make. I'd suggest trying a few batches in your oven before buying anything. If you like how it turns out, proceed from there. If you go with a marinade, remember to keep it fat free (fat goes rancid.... not good eats). Your marinade can be powerful in flavor - that is ok, as only a small amount gets absorbed into the meat and survives drying. If your marinade doesn't taste good, don't soak your meat in it. Drying doesn't have the benefit of adding a seared crust or imbuing flavor such as smoke or charcoal - it is simply meat plus whatever seasonings or flavors you put on the meat. If the seasoning/marinade isn't tasty, there isn't anything that will hide or fix it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Except as I sit in my kitchen in a drunken stupor I have no salty meat to eat.  Just ate some wheat thins.  They suck.  I would pay someone like cash to bring me good jerky right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

It took many years to perfect my recipe. I give some away to friends and family and they all say it's the best. Sometimes I add a little more heat to it for myself but start with this and after your first batch you can add more of whatever you want for your particular taste.
Please report back and tell me how you like it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It took many years to perfect my recipe. I give some away to friends and family and they all say it's the best. Sometimes I add a little more heat to it for myself but start with this and after your first batch you can add more of whatever you want for your particular taste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

For sure !!

I'm already looking on Amazon for my first dehydrator
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Except as I sit in my kitchen in a drunken stupor I have no salty meat to eat.  Just ate some wheat thins.  They suck.  I would pay someone like cash to bring me good jerky right now.
View Quote

I absolutely hate wheat thins  my six-year-old son on the other hand loves them .
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For sure !!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

For sure !!

Excalibur brand. If you believe in buy once, cry once, that is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

For sure !!

Amazon prime has the 3900b 9 tray for 199 shipped is that what you have or do you have the bigger 300+ model ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:48:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I lust for an Excalibur. I do not have an Excalibur.

But I do have two smokers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the 9 tray Excalibur but started out with a cheap Nesco. Any one of them will do the job.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#38]

The wife brought me this from Vegas. I haven't tried it yet. Probably not as good as Soylent Green though......it has electrolytes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Homemade in a cold smoker and then dried with low heat or box fan.

Jerky should not be dehydrated anywhere near 160 degrees.  

Robertsons is about as legit as it gets for commercially available.  needs more smoke though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Save the $200.

Make a few batches in the oven. Then buy the dehydrator. Two day shipping is great, but by this time Sunday evening you can be eating homemade jerky without ordering a dehydrator.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Better half went to a local farmers' market and bought a bag which was promptly devoured. Said it was like $15. So good the dogs didn't get any. Don't remember the brand.

My apologies for being so detail-oriented.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it might be worth it to order it off Amazon. Look up Pacific Gold Beef Jerky.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Homemade FTW
View Quote

This.  Spend some money on a dehydrator and a meat slicer and you will be very happy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Homemade has been the best, and the worst I have ever tasted...

Can't go wrong with Jack Links Teriyaki.
They also made a Ham jerky I fell in love with, but I haven't been able to find it since...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Female Bigfoot  has just the right chewiness
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Pats Beef Jerky in Kansas

http://www.patsbeefjerky.com/
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Homemade FTW
View Quote

Same here
Both Hot and mild jerky, Cheese stick and don't forget Jalapenos and Cheese beef sticks.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Do you have an oven?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Homemade FTW

What he said.

Do you have an oven?

Aint that the truth. I use Morton's Tender Quick, so my stuff should be shelf stable for a pretty long time. It never lasts a week, no matter how much I make.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
View Quote

For a quick and easy regular jerky I've always liked soy sauce with lots of brown sugar mixed in. Add a few capsules of liquid smoke and that's it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm trying to get my jerky soft and chewy...and fairly thin (less than 1/8"). Any ideas on how to achieve this? A certain marinade? Tenderizer? Pound the meat after cutting it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top