/thread
View Quote

Recipe please
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your oven is a convection, right?

If so set the dehydrate at 160F, leave the door closed. Check on the meat every hour until you hit four hours, then every 30 minutes. Pull pieces that bend and show cracks (think crisp but not burnt bacon).

Slice meat no thicker than 1/4". Best results will be between 1/8" and 3/16".

Use a high sodium brine or marinade (add 1/4 cup soy sauce per cup of sodium free liquid or 1 tsp salt per cup of sodium free liquids) or a dry rub heavier on the salt (in other words, if your favorite dry rub is a Texas style sugar based rub like Dillo Dust add some extra salt). A taste test of your marinade or rub should be about as salty as low sodium soy sauce or seasoning salt, respectively.

If using a dry rub, put your sliced meat in a large mixing bowl, add some of your blend / rub, and mix it up with your hands like you would meatloaf or making homemade burgers. You want a thin coating of the rub everywhere, and I really mean thin. You don't want a thick layer like you might use when making a large piece of meat.

If using a liquid marinade or brine, DO NOT PUT ANY FAT IN IT. No olive oil. No Italian dressing. No pepper oil. Zero fat. The last thing you want is to marinade your jerky is a layer of fat that will go rancid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will do this week. Last time I tried it I believe I left it at 120 which was the starting temp option. Didn't think to up the temp. Definitely did not work, rancid at best would be a nice way to put the outcome.

Your oven is a convection, right?

If so set the dehydrate at 160F, leave the door closed. Check on the meat every hour until you hit four hours, then every 30 minutes. Pull pieces that bend and show cracks (think crisp but not burnt bacon).

Slice meat no thicker than 1/4". Best results will be between 1/8" and 3/16".

Use a high sodium brine or marinade (add 1/4 cup soy sauce per cup of sodium free liquid or 1 tsp salt per cup of sodium free liquids) or a dry rub heavier on the salt (in other words, if your favorite dry rub is a Texas style sugar based rub like Dillo Dust add some extra salt). A taste test of your marinade or rub should be about as salty as low sodium soy sauce or seasoning salt, respectively.

If using a dry rub, put your sliced meat in a large mixing bowl, add some of your blend / rub, and mix it up with your hands like you would meatloaf or making homemade burgers. You want a thin coating of the rub everywhere, and I really mean thin. You don't want a thick layer like you might use when making a large piece of meat.

If using a liquid marinade or brine, DO NOT PUT ANY FAT IN IT. No olive oil. No Italian dressing. No pepper oil. Zero fat. The last thing you want is to marinade your jerky is a layer of fat that will go rancid.

Awesome thank you. I'll do this tues into wed when I'm home from work. I'll report back. Thanks again. Awesome thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
thanks for the recipe cuttingedge

made up a batch of the marinade...   just added the beef and letting it sit overnight.  

will post report tomorrow as I am enjoying it!
View Quote

Did you like it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
We dont have beef jerky in my country :(

A member here sent me classic Jack Link's 1 pound bag, at first it was weird (for being sweet in some way) but I realised I like it, and the bag was vaporized in a day or two. Wish I could get it here :(
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you like it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

made up a batch of the marinade...   just added the beef and letting it sit overnight.  

Did you like it?

It is awesome...spicy...tangy...very good flavor.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Time for some taste testing of the first few ready pieces...

http://i.imgur.com/dOzW223.jpg

ETA: That's not fat across the piece on the right. It's a slice of shallot. It is also fucking delicious.
View Quote

will you adopt me???

Between jerky and Amazon deals you are my heron
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bro , I got to drive all the way to Boston if I want to go to Costco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the Costco brand...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Bro , I got to drive all the way to Boston if I want to go to Costco

Looks good but not for $19.00 in shipping costs for a small order...
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA: That's not fat across the piece on the right. It's a slice of shallot. It is also fucking delicious.
View Quote

That looks fucking goooooooood !!!#
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

will you adopt me???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

will you adopt me???

Ironic as it may seem, some of the ingredients in that jerky came from Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you like it?

Good, glad you liked it. The Balsamic plays really well with red meat. Just having it on my dehydrator makes me
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top