Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A Lewis Gun was next up on my "NFA to Buy" list, but since I had to sell my M-16 it has dropped back down to the number 2 slot.

I've wanted one ever since I saw "High Road to China" as a kid.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A Lewis Gun was next up on my "NFA to Buy" list, but since I had to sell my M-16 it has dropped back down to the number 2 slot.

I've wanted one ever since I saw "High Road to China" as a kid.

http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/f1e/4bc956f9017a3c57fe026f1e/high-road-to-china-poster.jpg

It has been years since I've seen that movie. I do remember the guns in it too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do machine guns fire from an open bolt?

Why not?

Because there is less chance of a cook off.

You forgot simplicity and reliability.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"ANZACS" shows a lot of Lewis Gun action, too.

You've seen that obscure Aussie TV mini-series from the 80's?

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
FUCK ME! I hate being poor and not being able to afford such NFA goodness.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much do they cost nowadays?

I recently saw one (within the last year I guess) for ~$8k.

Quoted:
Quoted:
How much do they cost nowadays?

In today's market?  I know that's what MGPG says, but damn.  I don't think I've seen a listed Lewis gun that high lately.  Then again I don't really pay attention to what the Lewis is doing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
THAT'S the Machine gun the Dough Boys should have carried into battle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was shown in the States as well. I've seen it. I think it's on DVD. I should see if it's available streaming now that I think about it.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

yeap reliable. relatively light weight 28 lbs vs 60 or so for a Maxim or Browning. a little heavier than a BAR but with 2.5 ro 5 times the capacity at a controllable rate of fire
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The Lewis is air cooled.
The large shroud acted as a venturi to suck air into the rear of the shroud on firing.
If you look at the very first picture of the gun in the vid you'll see a finned cone shaped piece just under the front edge of the magazine.
This is an aluminum radiator around the chamber area that also guided air into the shroud as the gun was fired.
The idea is as the gun is fired the muzzle blast acts as suction on the mouth of the shroud drawing cooler air into the back end and along the barrel.
Shroud also acted as a hand guard and protector for the gas tube.

The shroud was deleted on aerial versions of the gun.

The mags are the hard item to obtain.
They weren't designed/made to be reused eleventymillion times. They wore out.
So there just aren't a lot of surplus ones out there.

Pretty good design for its time.
Somewhere I read the US Ordnance Boss General had a hard-on against the Lewis Gun so it never served with our Doughboys like it should have.
Instead we got that marvelous piece of Gallic engineering art known as the Chauchat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was shown in the States as well. I've seen it. I think it's on DVD. I should see if it's available streaming now that I think about it.

Yup. My buddy who had cable WAY back in the day taped it, and I watched the hell out of it. GREAT show. I'd love to have it on DVD.

Paul Hogan: "I want to be in "Be" Company; be here when they leave, and be here when they get back." (not exact quote, I know)

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Lewis is air cooled.
The large shroud acted as a venturi to suck air into the rear of the shroud on firing.
If you look at the very first picture of the gun in the vid you'll see a finned cone shaped piece just under the front edge of the magazine.
This is an aluminum radiator around the chamber area that also guided air into the shroud as the gun was fired.
The idea is as the gun is fired the muzzle blast acts as suction on the mouth of the shroud drawing cooler air into the back end and along the barrel.

Somewhere I read the US Ordnance Boss General had a hard-on against the Lewis Gun so it never served with our Doughboys like it should have.
Instead we got that marvelous piece of Gallic engineering art known as the Chauchat.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the Lewis gun an AMERICAN design? I seem to have heard that, or read that somewhere.
We could have had them from day one.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/mgun_lewis.htm

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lewis is air cooled.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the Lewis gun an AMERICAN design? I seem to have heard that, or read that somewhere.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lewis is air cooled.

There has been some considerable debate as to whether the shroud was effective at all in cooling the weapon, as other versions operated during the war without the shroud (aerial use predominantly) and after the Great War, operated just as well.  The thought is either the shroud was a design dead-end, or, Lewis and/or FN maintained it in the design (albeit cynically) as a unique and effective feature, so as to help fend off any potential patent challenges from other gas operated machine gun designers and manufacturers.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Lewis is air cooled.

IIRC, from the book "Misfire", the US Ordnance rejected the Lewis Gun and many other designs––-Maxim and SMLE I believe were others that were initially American designs. . .

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lewis is air cooled.

I freaking knew it! Thank You, Sir, for the confirmation.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Did the Lewis gun influence the DP26?

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]

<Primorsky> Nyet! DP26 is best original Soviet design having much superiority to inferior Western copies. DP26 is having no similarities to Yankee dog toys for childrens. </Primorsky>

Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet Lewis, but owning a .303 machine gun would put a lot of hurt on your wallet. Decent surplus is virtually non-existent these days.

Buying MGs and feeding them is expensive to begin with (from what I hear...no first hand ownership ).
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Lewis video, Vivaldi, my 3rd cup a joe, kids still in bed and the obligatory slo mo action shot. What a way to start a Saturday! Oh and I would hate to have to load those mags under fire.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lewis video, Vivaldi, my 3rd cup a joe, kids still in bed and the obligatory slo mo action shot. What a way to start a Saturday! Oh and I would hate to have to load those mags under fire.

where do you get Vivaldi???
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Music is from the Four Seasons.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Johann Pachelbel finds your lack of faith disturbing...
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do machine guns fire from an open bolt?

Why not?

To keep the potential for cook off down.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Boy am I an idiot.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johann Pachelbel finds your lack of faith disturbing...

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Sweet Lewis, but owning a .303 machine gun would put a lot of hurt on your wallet. Decent surplus is virtually non-existent these days.

Buying MGs and feeding them is expensive to begin with (from what I hear...no first hand ownership ).

Maybe Ishapore makes a .308!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#27]

LOL.....and just imagine. Some dumb fuck in the military decided that the Chaut Chaut would be better and ditched this thing for that
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]
But for one asshole Marine officer, we would have had that as our light machine gun in WWI, and then almost certainly replaced it with something like the Bren, complete with a quick change barrel, and tactics to properly employ it, by WWII. Instead we had the POS BAR and obsolete Brownings. Of course, we did win the war, so there's that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can never get away from Pachelbel's Canon...

Talk about a one hit wonder...

IMO the Lewis is one of the most beautiful guns designed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But for one asshole Marine officer, we would have had that as our light machine gun in WWI, and then almost certainly replaced it with something like the Bren, complete with a quick change barrel, and tactics to properly employ it, by WWII. Instead we had the POS BAR and obsolete Brownings. Of course, we did win the war, so there's that.

Who?

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Didn't they have a French gun that worked as well??
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
The A.E.F. used an abortion called the Chauchat (pronounced Show-Show). Absolute piece of crap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who?

IIRC, some asshat named Crozier.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pfffttt!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pfffttt!!!!!!!

That's the sound it made.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Airsoft LewisGun!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice video.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who?

IIRC, some asshat named Crozier.

Crozier was US Army (USMA 1876).

Here's link a story in the New York Times from September 16, 1916 concerning the adoption of the Lewis Gun v. the Benet-Mercie (Hotchkiss) v. an Americanized version of the Vickers Machine Gun.  By the way, the "Wood" in the story is General Leonard Wood (USA).

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0C1EFE3F5F13738DDDA10994D1405B868DF1D3

WASHINGTON, Sept. 17. –– The appro priation of $12,000,000 by Congress for the purchase of machine guns has served to increase the liveliness of the technical controversy that has been raging in the army for some months over the relative merits of the three leading types of such weapons.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I've seen a few for sale in the last 3-5 years at auction. IIRC they went for 8500 - 12000 or so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
The A.E.F. used an abortion called the Chauchat (pronounced Show-Show). Absolute piece of crap.

Pronounced show-shah I would say
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I could have sworn I've seen stormtroopers in the first couple of Star Wars movies carrying these.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#44]
The first time I ever heard of the Lewis gun was when I was 11 years old and saw one in the movie Britannic. One of the officers on the ship used one to shoot a torpedo in the water. Back then, I wondered why it had that huuuuge barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I could have sworn I've seen stormtroopers in the first couple of Star Wars movies carrying these.

Yep, most of the guns of STAR WARS were real guns modified to look different for the movie. Some of the Storm Troopers on the Death Star carry Lewis Guns with no magazines. There are also some German MG's used as long guns. The standard Storm Trooper "blasters" were Sterling SMG's fired with the stock folded and with some do dads added for looks. Han Solo's pistol was a Broomhandle Mauser and Obi Wan's light sabre body was the body of Brit rifle grenade.

In Empire many of the Hoth Rebels carried STG 44's.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The first time I ever heard of the Lewis gun was when I was 11 years old and saw one in the movie Britannic. One of the officers on the ship used one to shoot a torpedo in the water. Back then, I wondered why it had that huuuuge barrel.

If Lewis guns were still current military issue, four cylinder Japanese cars wouldn't have many options for aftermarket exhaust parts.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, most of the guns of STAR WARS were real guns modified to look different for the movie. Some of the Storm Troopers on the Death Star carry Lewis Guns with no magazines. There are also some German MG's used as long guns. The standard Storm Trooper "blasters" were Sterling SMG's fired with the stock folded and with some do dads added for looks. Han Solo's pistol was a Broomhandle Mauser and Obi Wan's light sabre body was the body of Brit rifle grenade.

In Empire many of the Hoth Rebels carried STG 44's.

Yes, I also remember some sort of Star Wars blaster looking almost identical to an MG 42

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#49]
one of the few firearms that i consider beautiful, elegant, pieces of art

he has much money in that setup.

open bolt firing too... sweet

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top