User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.  Flood happened before the continents split, and before the mountains were raised and valleys laid low.
View Quote
Don't take offense, but do you actually believe that, or are you trolling?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"You see, son, what had happened was that eleventy billion years ago 2 magical asteroids appeared out of thin air and then collided and that's how we got elephants and zebras!  And that's a fact, because some scientists told me so.  Don't believe any of that unproven hokey sounding stuff in the Bible."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“We don’t know everything about the universe, therefore everything in my particular holy book is the literal truth!”
"You see, son, what had happened was that eleventy billion years ago 2 magical asteroids appeared out of thin air and then collided and that's how we got elephants and zebras!  And that's a fact, because some scientists told me so.  Don't believe any of that unproven hokey sounding stuff in the Bible."
So, creation out of nothing by an omnipotent being is somehow more plausible?  And then you laugh?  Where did God come from then?

(I generally only comment on religion when the "lol" is used.)
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, creation out of nothing by an omnipotent being is somehow more plausible?  And then you laugh?  Where did God come from then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

“We don’t know everything about the universe, therefore everything in my particular holy book is the literal truth!”

Why wouldn't it be more plausible?  The laws of the universe clearly define a trend towards disorder and entropy, but there is order and structure that stands in contradiction to that trend, doesn't that indicate someone/thing acting against the natural order?  If you are walking in the woods and see three rocks stacked on top of each other, what does that tell you?  What if you found a Rolex watch?  There is too much complexity, an unimaginable amount really, in everything surrounding the human existence for it to all happen by random chance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did the 2 asteroids or explosive gases or amoebas or whatever you believe in come from?  Since science says matter cannot be created nor destroyed.  Oh, but wait, science also says asteroids and gases and amoebas somehow created themselves from nothing.  Talk about implausible.

You can lie to yourself and say you're right just because I can't answer your question to your satisfaction, but you can't even begin to answer my question either.

Even elementary school students know the laws of nature do not permit something to be created from nothing.  Matter can only be transformed, and inanimate matter cannot be transformed into living organisms.  Yet college educated atheists claim intellectual superiority over "brainwashed idiot" Christians because they paid thousands of dollars for some super smart guy in a labcoat to teach them that everything just magically appeared and evolved from...well, who the fuck knows.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The design has been evaluated by naval architects numerous times, it's basically a barge with no propulsion and with a cg that keeps it from capsizing.  It only had to last a few weeks, really -- it wasn't built to be a seagoing vessel to last twenty years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A cubit could've been 17.5" to 20.6" depending on what your culture was.

The Ark could feasibly be 250-300k sq feet under roof.
So Noah's ark was in excess of 500 feet long.  HMS Victory, which was about the limit of 18th century naval architecture, was 227 feet long.  Ships didn't get much larger until wood was replaced with steel because wooden structures have natural limitations before the thing twists itself to pieces through hogging and sagging, etc.  So how did a Bronze Age civilization solve naval architecture problems that even 18th century navies could not?  How did a ship with no means of propulsion not capsize from wave movement since it could not point its bow into the waves?
The design has been evaluated by naval architects numerous times, it's basically a barge with no propulsion and with a cg that keeps it from capsizing.  It only had to last a few weeks, really -- it wasn't built to be a seagoing vessel to last twenty years.
Shhh.  No logic here.  This is GD
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ITT we learn that big wooden boats can't float, but entire continents can!

https://www.yahchanan.com/pix/Noah.gif
View Quote
Floating isn't the right word.

They're attached to the earth's crust
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shhh.  No logic here.  This is GD
View Quote
Two of every animal could have also meant domestic animal.  Doubt Noah was a tree hugged and probably didn't GAF about every species that wasn't of use to him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How is a kind different than a species?
View Quote
A canine is a "kind" of animal, but there are many species under that, all presumed to have descended from a common ancestor. To include all of that genetic information, you just need a pair of the original ancestor. You don't need a pair of every species of wolf, coyote, dingo, and dog that exists now, speciation occurs over time and you end up with that. Same for cats, same for cattle, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's a cubit?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't it be more plausible?  The laws of the universe clearly define a trend towards disorder and entropy, but there is order and structure that stands in contradiction to that trend, doesn't that indicate someone/thing acting against the natural order?  If you are walking in the woods and see three rocks stacked on top of each other, what does that tell you?  What if you found a Rolex watch?  There is too much complexity, an unimaginable amount really, in everything surrounding the human existence for it to all happen by random chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how much complexity would a god that can do it all with a thought require?  More, or less?

Also, if the trend is is towards disorder, isn't random order in contradiction to that trend also disorder?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The Ark didn’t need to navigate.

It was just a place to hang out until the flood waters receded.

Noah got credit for building the boat.

But who was the hero who traveled across the Earth, capturing pairs of Jaguars and Gorillas and Hippos and Tigers?   That guy deserves a little credit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A canine is a "kind" of animal, but there are many species under that, all presumed to have descended from a common ancestor. To include all of that genetic information, you just need a pair of the original ancestor. You don't need a pair of every species of wolf, coyote, dingo, and dog that exists now, speciation occurs over time and you end up with that. Same for cats, same for cattle, etc.
View Quote
Dogs and Wolves diverged 20-30k years before present. Wolves and coyotes diverged over a million years ago. Jackals diverged from them before that and so on and so on
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Ark didn’t need to navigate.

It was just a place to hang out until the flood waters receded.

Noah got credit for building the boat.

But who was the hero who traveled across the Earth, capturing pairs of Jaguars and Gorillas and Hippos and Tigers?   That guy deserves a little credit.
View Quote
Only concern would be getting sideways to a large wave and getting flipped.  But maybe with the the low CG it would have righted it's self.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where did the 2 asteroids or explosive gases or amoebas or whatever you believe in come from?  Since science says matter cannot be created nor destroyed.  Oh, but wait, science also says asteroids and gases and amoebas somehow created themselves from nothing.  Talk about implausible.

You can lie to yourself and say you're right just because I can't answer your question to your satisfaction, but you can't even begin to answer my question either.

Even elementary school students know the laws of nature do not permit something to be created from nothing.  Matter can only be transformed, and inanimate matter cannot be transformed into living organisms.  Yet college educated atheists claim intellectual superiority over "brainwashed idiot" Christians because they paid thousands of dollars for some super smart guy in a labcoat to teach them that everything just magically appeared and evolved from...well, who the fuck knows.
View Quote
First of all, i never claimed intellectual superiority.  In fact, you are the one laughing at people.

Second, nobody ever claimed anything was created out of nothing, except you, and the rest of the creationists.  The goal of science is to find out exactly what everything was created from, and there are some pretty good ideas about that.  But clearly, you wouldn't be interested.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Where does "kind" fit into the taxonomic hierarchy?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So Noah's ark was in excess of 500 feet long.  HMS Victory, which was about the limit of 18th century naval architecture, was 227 feet long.  Ships didn't get much larger until wood was replaced with steel because wooden structures have natural limitations before the thing twists itself to pieces through hogging and sagging, etc.  So how did a Bronze Age civilization solve naval architecture problems that even 18th century navies could not?  How did a ship with no means of propulsion not capsize from wave movement since it could not point its bow into the waves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're missing the central equation in a biblical story
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
What cubit did he use?

We have no idea what the correct one is.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also the Ark if it even existed didn't have to carry hundreds of monstrously heavy cannons.  I would imagine 18th century naval architecture could have made a much bigger ship if it didn't have to have a shit ton of cannons.  Not to mention a lot of those canons were carried high up in the superstructure.

Just being devils advocate here.  I think the Noah story is a morality lesson not a history lesson.

Besides why flood the earth when you could just give all the assholes you don't like a massive heart attach just by thinking about it...
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#19]
This is an example of why theists and anti-theists are often considered to be equally annoying.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
That Ark would make a sweet houseboat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Fill it with snakes and run aground in Gaza.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoever rode the donkey to Australia, and snagged two Koalas, and all of the eucalyptus they would need to eat for two months is the man.  Also, the people in China and Egypt who didn't know there was supposed to be a flood, so they just kept on writing stuff down, carving stuff on rocks, and getting on with their day.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Ginger and Mary Ann in case it runs aground?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
God was created by the collision of magical asteroids.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I must say that is a pretty impressive feat..
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I figure the story comes from the fact that you can find fossil sea shells high up in the Himalayas, and other high altitude places.   The water must have been that high, right?
View Quote
Not sure if serious.gif
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's a cubit?
View Quote
About tree-fiddy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not sure if serious.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure the story comes from the fact that you can find fossil sea shells high up in the Himalayas, and other high altitude places.   The water must have been that high, right?
Not sure if serious.gif
First part yes.  Second part no.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

let's see...a cubit...I used to know what a cubit was...
View Quote
Length from the elbow to the finger tips; about 18".
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't think you can fit two of every species on that thing.
View Quote
Maybe the world was smaller then and all of the species had not been discovered?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe the world was smaller then and all of the species had not been discovered?
View Quote
There were WAY more animals than the info provided in this thread.

Of the "unclean" animals only 2 were aboard the ark.

Of the "clean" animals there was more than 2 of the them per species  (research yourself if you care to?)
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think you can fit two of every species on that thing.
Maybe it was just their DNA.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's a cubit?
View Quote
Bill Cosby Noah Skit

Transcript
God: (standing on a chair behind Noah, he rings a bell once) NOAH.   Noah: (Looks up) Is someone calling me? (Shrugs and goes back to his work)   God: (Ding) NOAH!!   Noah: Who is that?   God: It's the Lord, Noah.   Noah: Right ... Where are ya? What do ya want? I've been good.   God: I want you to build an ark.   Noah: Right ... What's an ark?   God: Get some wood and build it 300 cubits by 80 cubits by 40 cubits.   Noah: Right ... What's a cubit?   God: Well never mind. Don't worry about that right now. After you build the   ark, I want you to go out into the world and collect all the animals of the   world, two by two, male and female, and put them into the ark.   Noah: Right ... Who is this really? What's going on? How come you want me to   do all these weird things?   God: I'm going to destroy the world.   Noah: Right ... Am I on Candid Camera? How are you gonna do it?   God: I'm going to make it rain for a thousand days and drown them right out.   Noah: Right ... Listen, do this and you'll save water. Let it rain for forty   days and forty nights and wait for the sewers to back up.   God: Right...   Narrator: So Noah began to build the ark. Of course his neighbors were not   too happy about it. Can you imagine leaving for the office at 7 AM and   seeing an ark?   Neighbor: (enters whistling, with brief case) Hey! You over there.   Noah: What do you want?   Neighbor: What is this thing?   Noah: It's an ark.   Neighbor: Uh huh, well you want to get it out of my driveway? I've gotta get   to work. Hey listen, what's this thing for anyway?   Noah: I can't tell you, ha ha ha.   Neighbor: Can't you even give me a little hint?   Noah: You want a hint?   Neighbor: Yes, please.   Noah: Well, how long can you tread water? Ha ha ha   Neighbor: There's one in every neighborhood. (Shakes head and leaves)   Narrator: Well Noah finally got the ark built. Then he had the task of   gathering all the animals two by two.   Noah: Hey, anybody know how to tell the difference between a male and a   female mosquito? (Looking in a box) I told your rabbits before, only two!   (He puts box in boat) Whew, finally the last two animals are on board. Let's   get this thing closed up before God asks me to do something else. I'm six   hundred years old. I am getting too old for this sort of thing.   God: Noah!   Noah: I knew it. What do you want now?   God: You're going to have to take one of those hippos off and get another   one.   Noah: Why?   God: 'Cause you got two males. You need a female.   Noah: I'm too tired to bring anything else on board. You change one of them.   God: Come on, you know I don't work like that.  ...
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Also the Ark if it even existed didn't have to carry hundreds of monstrously heavy cannons.  I would imagine 18th century naval architecture could have made a much bigger ship if it didn't have to have a shit ton of cannons.  Not to mention a lot of those canons were carried high up in the superstructure.
View Quote
How much does two of every animal weight?  T-Rex be heavy yo!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Earth has been the same size for billions of years, and we're still discovering new species to this day. We couldn't if they were all wiped out
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's a cubit?
View Quote
was it made from gophar wood?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:
Where does "kind" fit into the taxonomic hierarchy?
View Quote
Between genus, and species. Canis Kind Lupus Familiaris
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top