Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Spring-over axle conversions on trailers are common and I don't think that the difference in center of gravity is enough to warrant concern for a competent driver.

The only real issue is the increased overall height of a big Fiver, many of which are already 13'6" with A/C and satellite dishes and such.

Fifth wheel manufacturers have offerings with more bedrail clearance.  Go test some.

The effective gearing change from the 37" tires would be the biggest detriment to towing. Those 37" tire actually have a higher load capacity than the stock tires -123 class vs. 121- and as long as the wheels are from a reputable manufacturer I don't see an issue.

I have literally millions of miles of towing experience, many of which involve piloting a rig with a 90' overall length and a 14' height.

My advice would or OP?  These options:

1: Test-hook different 5th wheel offerings to judge clearance.  You might find one that works.

2: Do a spring over axle conversion if your preferred 5th wheel does not offer enough bed rail clearance, provided the overall height doesn't exceed 13'6".  Even at 13'6" you need to pay attention to overhead clearance.

For either option, the stock gearing may not be adequate to pull a large fiver.  A 4.10 might be borderline.  There's a difference of tons in towing capacity rating within the spread of 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 and 4:30 gearing (or whatever the Dodge/RAM options are).  Those 37" tires effectively give you taller gear ratio unless the truck was re-geared.  If you find a set-up that works and the truck wasn't re-geared, re-gear it to get it to the 4.10 or 4:30 stock equivalent.

3: Buy a set of stock take-off wheels and tires for cheap off of Craigslist or FB marketplace and swap them on when towing.  It'll give you a couple of inches of clearance and improve the effective gearing.

4: Change the Dually back to stock.  It wouldn't be as expensive as you think, but it does defeat the purpose of buying the bro-dozer you like.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean the "Carolina Squat" doesn't lower the rear end enough?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It has zero suspension lift on it..notice it still has the stock shocks, it would not if it had a suspension lift kit on it...Buy stock tires/rims to bolt on when you haul your fifth wheel trailer...

ETA: looking at the pic closer, it looks like they might have added some leaf spring chunks to act as lift kit along with longer U-bolts...easy job to remove them and make it bone stock again...
View Quote

I agree with you ETA looks like a small stack of springs should be an easy fix. Also not familiar with dodge but looks like they may have stuffed a few between the leafs and overloads. Should be real easy to get the rear down with just new U bolts.
Now what to you have on the front OP? Removing the mini pack from the rear will make it squat.
ETA taking a look around that might be completely stock in the rear, not sure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, I'm back. There are other things in my life besides surfing arfcom, so I apologize. Couple of things......

Yes, I bought the brodozer knowing full well what I was doing. I liked the way it looked, and it's more than capable of doing everything I need it to do. That only changes if we get a 5er.

This isn't some cobbled together chinesium lift / tires / wheels combo. Quality components were used and I haven't had a minutes worth of trouble in three years, although that's only about 20k miles.

Tires are Nittos and they're the correct load rating. Wheels are American Force.

I currently have a 32ft bumper pull, and the truck doesn't drag the rear bumper. With a golf cart in the bed and the camper on the hitch, the truck squats ever so slightly. Previous owner pulled a D5 dozer regularly. I have also regularly pulled a 40 ft. gooseneck equipment trailer, although it was generally only loaded with 6 or 7 side by sides and 4 wheelers, so not exactly high payload weight. You'll be surprised to hear that it pulls just fine, doesn't hunt gears and it stops just fine, too. Correct drop hitch so trailer pulls level, too.

I understand that the 'dozer is not the ideal tow rig. I am simply exploring options. But saying it can not or should not tow anything is a little much. I have been to several dealers, but generally the salesmen will say "I'm sure we can make it work" without having a clue.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126644/Dually_jpg-1762129.JPG

ETA different tires now. Nitto Trail Grapplers load range E and 10 ply
View Quote

That is a sweet fucking truck
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top