Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2020 7:20:10 PM EDT
Can somebody explain the US ranking?  The table is arranged in decreasing order of BMI. But the US is a number "2" but is located down between "15" and "17".

I don't understand that.

If we are "2", we should be near the top of the table . . . no?

Be sure to check out the mean US female BMI number (BMI = 2) as compared to the US male BMI number (BMI = 28.8).

Me thinks somebody at Wikipedia has been messing with the US data. [Shocking, huh?]

But I am sort of surprised at some of the countries ranking.  And I never heard of 90% of the countries.

List of countries by body mass index

(I also do not understand how "Insert Table" works in an AR15.com post.)

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ethiopia is almost dead last. I might be going to hell, but that made me chuckle a bit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
BMI is a bunch of BS for anyone that is remotely in shape.  Drives me crazy because it caters to soy boys.

The again most people aren’t...
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn I didn’t know New Zealand was hella thicc
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I don't thnk you can have a BMI of 2.

A Karen put that together. And decided to Karen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a BMI gap...

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
BMI charts lol

I have been well in to the Obese most of my life by those charts......  

Obese, I am not....
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't thnk you can have a BMI of 2.

A Karen put that together. And decided to Karen.
View Quote

Yep, to have a BMI of 2 a person 5'10" would have to weight 14 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, to have a BMI of 2 a person 5'10" would have to weight 14 lbs.
View Quote

Actually, a mass of 6.32 kg.

BMI = mass (kg) / height ^2 (m2) = kg/m2
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
BMI is a fundamentally flawed measure of health, but that doesn’t change the fact that way too many Americans are embarrassingly fat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of the world is getting fat.  It is amazing how it has changed in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the BMI table a person 6’ tall is overweight at 185 pounds.  I bet 90% of people who are 6’ in the US are over 185.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of the feels of ARF concerning BMI, I would stop trusting editable Wikis.  Or at least look at their reference material.  World Health Organization in this case.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You should put a trigger warning for Texans...

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BMI is a bunch of BS for anyone that is remotely in shape.  Drives me crazy because it caters to soy boys.

View Quote

This!!!!

I'm about 0.5 BMI from being "Obese", because of muscle mass.

Honestly!

As far as I can tell BMI is only accurate for desk jockeys.

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
You're what, 40 or 50 years old, and you've never seen a data entry typo?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Body fat is where it is at! I should try and get a good measurement.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#17]
i have the bmi of an average ethiopian

nice
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Me thinks somebody at Wikipedia has been messing with the US data. [Shocking, huh?]
View Quote
Or somebody screwed up a a table conversion from WHO's .pdf, or whatever format they had it in.

It's Wikipedia.  You get what you pay for.

Let's say you are bored and happen to be reading the warning labels on plastic bags, and see one that reads, "DANGER: Do put this on your head.  Serious injury or death may occur."

What are you thinking?  What's your next move?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
US men are about 28.5 average, women are about the same.

This stretches credulity but here's the source - scroll about 1/3 the way down.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Regardless of the feels of ARF concerning BMI, I would stop trusting editable Wikis.  Or at least look at their reference material.  World Health Organization in this case.
View Quote

The WHO statistics web page is down right now.  That was where I went first.

Here is the WHO link, if it ever comes back up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ethiopia is almost dead last. I might be going to hell, but that made me chuckle a bit.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Africa has cured obesity!
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Average US female BMI is around 29.3: 5'4', 171 pounds.  And that was 4 years ago.  Going to guess it has worsened since.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually spent about an hour trying to find the WHO data that the Wikipedia is supposedly based upon.

They show a link to the WHO reference down at the bottom of their screen.

I found a giant WHO database on BMI but I never could find any WHO data similar to what Wikipedia references.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, 73 actually.

Yep. Lots.

But I have been told that Wikipedia has lots of folks checking for errors and typos (and deleting all conservative facts) and that any registered user can edit a post.

From the Wikipedia web site:

-------------------
People like you keep Wikipedia accurate.

Readers verify the facts. Articles are collaboratively created and edited by a community of volunteers using reliable sources, so no single person or company owns a Wikipedia article.
Get involved as a Wikipedia editor.
No previous experience is needed to start editing Wikipedia.

------------------

Heck, I might give it a shot.

Just seems weird to me that a typo hangs around with all those controls in place.

That's why I don't think it's a typo. I think it's by design.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
US men are about 28.5 average, women are about the same.

This stretches credulity but here's the source - scroll about 1/3 the way down.
View Quote

Yep. Thanks.

A breakdown by ethnicity in the US might be interesting . . . seeing as how obesity is a factor with Covid-19 and blacks seem to have a disproportionate rate of infection/death.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
According to the BMI table a person 6’ tall is overweight at 185 pounds.  I bet 90% of people who are 6’ in the US are over 185.
View Quote

At 185 I was a rail. I am a bit heavier now. Ideally 210ish seems right m.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

At 185 I was a rail. I am a bit heavier now. Ideally 210ish seems right m.
View Quote
I am 5'11 and 145 lbs.  Ironically I just saw my doc yesterday, he said I could gain 5-10 lbs and it wouldn't hurt but that my weight is good to go. 185 at 1 inch taller than me, isn't anywhere near "rail".

Remember when the movie fight club came out and Brad Pitt was all the rage with the womens, from that movie for a while? He is 6 foot tall and was 155 lbs with a BMI of 5% for the movie.

I understand that muscle weighs and muscle is good, but I think lots men in the US use "soy boy" as an excuse to justify the fact that they are in fact, fat.  The view has become so skewed that having a gut that isn't flat and sides that stick out instead of flat or V shaped, is incorrectly viewed as "healthy" for a man.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’ve got that right.  I have a BMI of 28.  I’m in excellent physical shape, bike and resistance train a lot.

The idiots we hired on to do wellness checks at my company do all the measurements, and then plug the numbers, send me to another table to discuss the numbers with a “health coach”

The health coach explains the numbers to me and then says “have you considered changing your eating habits”? After explaining BMI.

I fucking laughed out loud and asked if she was serious.  Then I told her no, other than I need to eat more.  She couldn’t understand why I wasn’t concerned about my BMI.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn I didn’t know New Zealand was hella thicc
View Quote

New Zealand is next to us as far as the health epidemic is concerned.  

If you have amazon prime, check out “That Sugar Film” and “Is Sugar the New Fat”?

Based out of New Zealand, but it obviously applies to America since they’re basically living our diet.  

The state of many countries and their associated health epidemic is sad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#32]
There are some serious fatasses in certain parts of the Arab world.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Average US female BMI is around 29.3: 5'4', 171 pounds.  And that was 4 years ago.  Going to guess it has worsened since.
View Quote

Hell...With most gyms closed, I bet the average American has gained a few pounds just in the last few months.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am 5'11 and 145 lbs.  Ironically I just saw my doc yesterday, he said I could gain 5-10 lbs and it wouldn't hurt but that my weight is good to go. 185 at 1 inch taller than me, isn't anywhere near "rail".

Remember when the movie fight club came out and Brad Pitt was all the rage with the womens, from that movie for a while? He is 6 foot tall and was 155 lbs with a BMI of 5% for the movie.

I understand that muscle weighs and muscle is good, but I think lots men in the US use "soy boy" as an excuse to justify the fact that they are in fact, fat.  The view has become so skewed that having a gut that isn't flat and sides that stick out instead of flat or V shaped, is incorrectly viewed as "healthy" for a man.

View Quote

The average lean body mass of an American male is about 143 pounds.

Most people are way fucking fatter than they think they are.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hell...With most gyms closed, I bet the average American has gained a few pounds just in the last few months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely so.

Those numbers are 2014, I think the latest were 2017.

The predictions for 2020 are grim, but the numbers aren’t out yet IIRC.  

We’re looking at 77% of Americans being overweight, with 42% considered obese.  It’s fucking sad and disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The average lean body mass of an American male is about 143 pounds.

Most people are way fucking fatter than they think they are.
View Quote
Aye.  A guy, even if physically strong, slapping his protruding belly and proclaiming "it's ma gas tank" has somehow become the socially accepted norm.  It's not really different than complaining that fat women have become more and more common in ads, in an attempt to normalize it.

It's not any different and it is a 2 way street.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, 73 actually.

Yep. Lots.

But I have been told that Wikipedia has lots of folks checking for errors and typos (and deleting all conservative facts) and that any registered user can edit a post.

-------------------

Readers verify the facts. Articles are collaboratively created and edited by a community of volunteers using reliable sources, so no single person or company owns a Wikipedia article.

------------------

Just seems weird to me that a typo hangs around with all those controls in place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, 73 actually.

Yep. Lots.

-------------------

------------------

Karen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BMI is a fundamentally flawed measure of health, but that doesn’t change the fact that way too many Americans are embarrassingly fat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Americans don't go to a gym, so that has had no impact on their lives.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aye.  A guy, even if physically strong, slapping his protruding belly and proclaiming "it's ma gas tank" has somehow become the socially accepted norm.  It's not really different than complaining that fat women have become more and more common in ads, in an attempt to normalize it.

It's not any different and it is a 2 way street.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The amount of land whales is too damn high.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are no controls in place.  You are the control.  And you haven't fixed it.

No reasonable person could think that a typo of "2" where it should have read "29.2" or whatever, is a deliberate, orchestrated attempt to influence people's perceptions of BMI in the US or anywhere else in the world.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we had only known that "Save the Whales" would have turned into this ...
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BMI charts lol

I have been well in to the Obese most of my life by those charts......  

Obese, I am not....
View Quote

Ditto.  Overweight, yes.  Obese?   Nope, not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are no controls in place.  You are the control.  And you haven't fixed it.

No reasonable person could think that a typo of "2" where it should have read "29.2" or whatever, is a deliberate, orchestrated attempt to influence people's perceptions of BMI in the US or anywhere else in the world.
View Quote

Some fat chick probably changed it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd hate to be the place that beat out Somalia for last place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably ate the extra digits.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

New Zealand is next to us as far as the health epidemic is concerned.  

If you have amazon prime, check out “That Sugar Film” and “Is Sugar the New Fat”?

Based out of New Zealand, but it obviously applies to America since they’re basically living our diet.  

The state of many countries and their associated health epidemic is sad.
View Quote

Pacific Islanders do not do well with a grain based diet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Only time I was ever obese by BMI I had less than 10% body fat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You’ve got that right.  I have a BMI of 28.  I’m in excellent physical shape, bike and resistance train a lot.

The idiots we hired on to do wellness checks at my company do all the measurements, and then plug the numbers, send me to another table to discuss the numbers with a “health coach”

The health coach explains the numbers to me and then says “have you considered changing your eating habits”? After explaining BMI.

I fucking laughed out loud and asked if she was serious.  Then I told her no, other than I need to eat more.  She couldn’t understand why I wasn’t concerned about my BMI.

View Quote

I have a dense build. 5' 11", 180 pounds, and people say I look skinny. But anyone who uses BMI says I'm overweight and I really need to exercise more and eat less. I was even getting auto-generated emails from a doctor's office once about that, because the system just blindly looked at the numbers and decided I wasn't healthy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top