Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There was an episode where one of the girls needed an operation to save her life.  Mr. Ingles and his friend went to Washington and petitioned the government for free health care and a living wage.

Just kidding...he manned up and went out and found work to pay for her operation and everything worked out fine because he's not a pussy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don’t forget drug addiction, they had that in there as well.

And cholera.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh it was wonderful. Every week a story about a child being crushed under a wagon wheel, losing their dog to rabies, going deaf or blind. Quality family entertainment.

Don’t forget drug addiction, they had that in there as well.

And cholera.

And rape.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My family and I watched it when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was born in the 80’s. I have no idea.
View Quote

I was born in the early 60's and in the 70's we had two and a half tv channels over the air.

Two that came in clear and one that the reception was crappy most of the time.

Not a whole lot of viewing options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The 70s were really not too far from the late 1800s in most of the Country. People could relate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The books were written by Laura Ingalls (and possibly her daughter) about her childhood and growing up as a pioneer settler.

I think most God fearing pioneer families were probably pretty wholesome when compared to today’s family. They didn’t have as much to get into trouble with.

I can watch the show in small doses. I don’t think I’d want to binge it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It was good TV. I watched it during the 90s Along with other shows from that time period. Much better than the gay cut your own dick off shit on tv today. My kids, all born after 2004 like these old shows better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Same thing with The Andy Griffith show.
View Quote

The Waltons.

The movie the Waltons was based on was actually ok IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The Little House on the Prairie book was excellent. I didn't care for the tv show, since I was a teen male at the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
My kids love it. We have read all the books together, and have visited the homestead in DeSmit, SD. It's good, wholesome entertainment with some lessons to be learned as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Arriving in the aftermath of the 1960s, Vietnam and Watergate probably helped its popularity, too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s when they made good shows on TV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The best book was the one about her husband, Alonzo, who grew up in far upstate NY.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh it was wonderful. Every week a story about a child being crushed under a wagon wheel, losing their dog to rabies, going deaf or blind. Quality family entertainment.
View Quote

For sure. Can’t beat the programming of today. Fags on every show. Cheating spouses. Sex and drugs. And all the rest of the damned debauchery seen on every show today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Grandpa Walton was a fooking communist. [Will Geer]

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
laura ingraham, laura ingalls and mary ingalls
I'll add Mrs. Ingalls
anyone else?
Nancy?
Nellie?
Miss Beadle?
Albert?
Shannon Doherty for sure back in the day.
View Quote

One of these things is not like the other...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate what it is.

It is something that only the old America I remember from being a kid could create. This new degenerate is America is so messed up it can’t even comprehend the r basic concepts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I think there was one about opium addiction.

eta: oops already covered.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Back in the day, the girls thought Micheal Landon was hot.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
My parents used to watch reruns on TV Land or whatever cable channel back when I was high school.

My younger brother and I would always comment that every episode seemed to involve someone either dying horribly or some awful tragedy would just swop in and ruin everything.

As wholesome as it seemed, some episodes got pretty dark.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I was born in 79 and remember watching it with my parents often after we got a big external TV antennae installed in 86 or 87.  My mom would watch anything with Michael Landon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I could watch all the "older" TV shows that were b4 my time.  My mom always watched little house so that probably explains why I watch it alot.  Its a love/hate with my wife.  She loves the show but hate how someone always dies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Entire family could watch it.  A little simplistic for the adults, but not unbearable,  entertained the kids. Good life lessons. No rough language/gays/trannies/SJWs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Loved that show as a kid.

On a side note. A helicopter team I worked on landed in the middle of the whole set, to stage for support of a meth lab raid nearby, like 20 yrs ago.

Didn't realize the whole town and farm were on probably 30 acres within eyesight of each other.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I liked the ep  where Albert was a junky
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Arriving in the aftermath of the 1960s, Vietnam and Watergate probably helped its popularity, too.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Good show.  I’m a millennial and watched it all the time growing up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Watched every week as a kid. Read the books also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mary?

MARY?!?!?!?!?!

How about the mom or Nelli.

You know Nelli would be a fun bang.

I met the woman who played Nelli and we spent a wonderful 3 hours together.

Alison Angrim and Dearly Departed Tours.
View Quote

I wouldn't mind being Dearly Departed after 3 hours with Alison Angrim. She wouldn't even have to wear the Nelli wig...

As a side note, the real Little House/Laura Ingalls house/cabin in Kansas is being rebuilt, again, for the 3rd time. Its made from all the original parts, they've only replaced the roof 4 times and the walls 3 times....
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I never liked that show.
I didn't like the characters, I didn't like Michael Landons out of place haircut.
Network TV was dreadful back then, as it is today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One of the girls did a Playboy shoot
They was nice Titties
View Quote

I believe you're thinking about a girl from The Waltons.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]
My mother read all the books out loud to my brothers and I when we were young kids.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Show honestly bored me as a kid and I'd usually switch to something else if watching alone.

You know what classic Western I never, ever, EVER turned off as a kid?

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I loved that show when I was little. Highway to Heaven, too. Michael Landon was awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Airwolf was awesome!

Until I watched it again a couple of years ago. I guess it really is only awesome to 8 year old me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couldn't stand the intro, so it was Airwolf, A-Team and Miamuh Vice instead for this kid.

Airwolf was awesome!

Until I watched it again a couple of years ago. I guess it really is only awesome to 8 year old me.

Just finished season 4. Lots of recycled guns used by the bad guys. I think every episode had one bad guy carrying a single shot shotgun with a sling on it, and most of the AK's looked like they had 5.56 mags-were 5.56 AKs that common in the 80s?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The ones that don't understand it are likely from California...........................
View Quote

I grew up in CA in the 70’s (born at the tail end of ‘69) and I ate this show up. A lot of fond, melancholic memories of it and a far better time in TV history.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Because that's how a lot of our families that have been here for 250 years did things.

Nostalgia.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
my mom's favorite show
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Same thing with The Andy Griffith show.
View Quote

We watched Andy Grifith reruns. It was great TV. My dad said they will be playing episodes for another 100 years. So far he was right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was born in 79 and remember watching it with my parents often after we got a big external TV antennae installed in 86 or 87.  My mom would watch anything with Michael Landon.
View Quote

"Little Joe" made my mom moist.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I watched it some back when I was a kid. I thought it sucked then. Andy Griffith, Hee Haw and Battle Star Galactica were more entertaining to 8 year old me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There was an episode where one of the girls needed an operation to save her life.  Mr. Ingles and his friend went to Washington and petitioned the government for free health care and a living wage.

Just kidding...he manned up and went out and found work to pay for her operation and everything worked out fine because he's not a pussy.
View Quote

It wasn't an operation, it was an abortion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Loved that show as a kid.

On a side note. A helicopter team I worked on landed in the middle of the whole set, to stage for support of a meth lab raid nearby, like 20 yrs ago.

Didn't realize the whole town and farm were on probably 30 acres within eyesight of each other.
View Quote

Michael Landon had the set blown up at the end of the series because he didn't want the buildings reused in other shows. Whatever you landed in twenty years ago wasn't the set for Little House..unless you meant the vacant property
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Michael Landon had the set blown up at the end of the series because he didn't want the buildings reused in other shows. Whatever you landed in twenty years ago wasn't the set for Little House..unless you meant the vacant property
View Quote

You must be mistaken. Maybe another set. Because I was there, in Chatsworth, California. With EVERY building from the show. I believe it was private land rented from the studios. Michael Landon had not right to blow up anything. There are actually quite a few studio properties there. Charlie Manson hung out in that neighborhood.

ETA: I guess most of it was burnt down in 2003. I was there in 2001 or there abouts.

Found this. Little House on the Prairie Set
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#47]
When we were kids, my brother and i watched because we thought Nellie "the bad girl" Olsen was a hot, older woman.

Truth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Back then you only had three fucking channels to choose from, how the fuck couldn't it be popular.
View Quote

This man....he speaks truth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back then you only had three fucking channels to choose from, how the fuck couldn't it be popular.

True. Only the rich kids had satellite. Then cable became big.

Still loved the show. Loved the transporting nitroglycerin one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Read all the books when I was a little boy. Never got into the series. Im 38. The homestead is about 40 miles from me.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top