Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
a go-devil (splitting maul) works well.

probably a 6lb if you're not used to swinging one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your gut feeling is correct.  Go heavy and let the weight do most of the work.
View Quote

I actually haven't seen a 16 lb maul.  I have used a 12 lb-er Monster Maul from the 80's.  My 8 lb isocore seems to work better.  Remember: energy = 1/2mv^2!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing is “too green” to burn outside.

May be harder to split or not burn as well but it’s not like he will have a creosote issue burning a camp fire.

I know when we clear lots from living trees. We don’t season the burn piles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both of you can't be right.

I've always split green without too much issue.
View Quote

We're in very different parts of the states.  

Neither of us is by the OP...so...lol who knows.  

I've always split green wood because it dries so much faster that way.  Never really tried to split full rounds of seasoned wood.  But when I can split a 24" round of white oak in half in one hit of an axe...I don't see how it can get much easier than that...I can split spring and burn fall/winter when split.  The rounds that I leave whole because they're too small to split still have a lot more moisture in them than the split pieces from the same tree in the same pile.  So yeah, full rounds are going to need several years to dry if you split them dry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Big maul.  I've split stuff that was feet across with one of these.  And they're nigh indestructible.

Splitting maul
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing is “too green” to burn outside.

May be harder to split or not burn as well but it’s not like he will have a creosote issue burning a camp fire.

I know when we clear lots from living trees. We don’t season the burn piles.
View Quote

That is true but he might want to cook over it.When you have dry wood it burns better and its a lot easier to cook over. If its just a camp fire either will work like you said.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I split 4-5 chords of wood a year by hand... it sucks, but the best way to do it without buying a hydraulic wood splitter is to get a splitting maul, wedges, and a sledge hammer.

Anything you can't split with the maul, pound wedges into until it splits.
View Quote

That is a lot of wood to split by hand every year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is a lot of wood to split by hand every year.
View Quote

It's a good workout
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

it never ceases to amaze me how out of touch people are. Try 50 bucks at home depot or 75 shipped to you.

You probably want an axe eventually if you're camping but a sledge and wedge would be second easiest after a powered splitter. Wedges also allow you to do larger and harder wood than a normal maul if needed. If you don't know what you're doing look up axe safety
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a maul, not an axe. $15 will be enough for one and you and your kids can get a workout in.

it never ceases to amaze me how out of touch people are. Try 50 bucks at home depot or 75 shipped to you.

You probably want an axe eventually if you're camping but a sledge and wedge would be second easiest after a powered splitter. Wedges also allow you to do larger and harder wood than a normal maul if needed. If you don't know what you're doing look up axe safety

It never ceases to amaze me that you people have to buy new on everything you get. Okay I was wrong about$15 but he could still buy one from Facebook, rummage, family etc. You're telling op to buy a powered splitter and the guy is going to use it once a year for 15 mins. Lol

ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be f’n careful if u dont know what youre doing watch a few you tube videos and take your time and pay attention. Wear appropriate apparel. You can easily have an accident splitting wood. Ive been splitting since Ive been a wee lad and have had more than a few close calls.
View Quote

This^^^. Axes and mauls can take funny bounces, even with a perfect strike. Some rounds split too easily as soon as the head starts to embed, then the head will deflect off radically sideways if there are knots or other significant grain structures down low.

Best defense besides experience is to use a very large diameter round as a surface to set your wood on as it can catch or divert a deflection. OP probably doesn't have a 36" or bigger piece of trunk, but it does help. I think mine is about 10 years old, almost time to replace it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Stihl 271 to cut. 9lbs maul, sledge hammer, and a few wedges for splitting. It’s work. Wife says it reminds her of Captain Ahab chasing a whale but I break my wood by hand. It’s satisfying.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sledge hammer and wedges is the easiest way to get started.

Get 2 or 3 wedges, get to work
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
fiskers X27 or whatever the current variant is.  You're welcome.

The hatchet in the same series is awesome for kindling too.

View Quote

Yep. And the Husqvarna multipurpose axe in the middle rounds out a trio of unbelievably useful and verstatile tools.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Cut it into 18" rounds, get a splitting maul, and have at it.  If the wood is knotty, don't bother with it.  Likewise if sycamore.  All you'll do is wear yourself out.  Hackberry and hickory can be a little stringy, but manageable.  Pro tip, instead of trying to split every piece in half, it's much easier with bigger rounds to work the edges and take off sharp corners as you chop pieces off.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Splitting wood since I was young. Grandpa used to save 20" rounds for us to break up. Never bothered with mauls, only used wedges. The first time I split with a maul was years later in boy scouts. Wedges, IMHO, are better for larger pieces we usually cut. If you are going to use it often enough a harbor freight or similar hand hydraulic splitter is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
First of all, is it good wood to burn? There's plenty of shit trees around here that get taken out and trashed or mulched because they don't burn well.

Some Home Depot stores rent hydraulic splitters. I bought a small one from TSC for $500 and my son bitches that it's so hard splitting wood. I want to kick his ass.

Stack it, loosely cover it with a tarp to dry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My tools.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
A maul, good axe, and a wedge, sledge hammer, lean how to handle the axe, keep it sharp.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
First of all, is it good wood to burn? There's plenty of shit trees around here that get taken out and trashed or mulched because they don't burn well.
View Quote

This might be the case.  I just drove by and, the homeowner was in the driveway.  I asked if it was OK to grab the wood, and he said that I was welcome to it, but it won't burn.  It was a long driveway and he seemed to be busy with something else, so I didn't ask why.  I thanked him and left without grabbing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably been said many times over, but it really depends on what the wood is and how gnarly it is.

Most of the time I could just use a maul, and keep a couple wedges nearby.  Split it when it is green but had a chance to sit for a little while.  A smaller hatchet only really works well with very small stuff and once the split wood has cured.  Curing wood can take anywhere from a few months to most of a year depending on the species and how it is stored.  For years as a kid I used a Chopper I and that was wonderful.  Not sure what happened to it.  I don't think Dad has it anymore.

If you are going to split a lot of it, or if the wood doesn't split well and is gnarly, then do yourself a favor and get a pneumatic splitter of some kind.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Maul or splitting ax.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]
A maul or sledgehammer, 2 5lb wedges, and an axe (if you don't get a maul)

Get it all from HF for like 50 bucks.

Be careful.

For the little stuff I welded a kindling cracker- basically a thin ring of large diameter pipe, with 2 vertical supports and a 1/8 plate ground to an edge between the supports. Add a pair of sloped plates from the blade to the base if you want the wood to make neat piles on each side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I can get my entire dump trailer filled up, its 16ft long, for $150 with already split wood.  I think its around 1.5 cords.

Just do that.  its way easier
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Splitting axe and WATCH YOUR FUCKING TOES!  You're not going to have been born good at it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
14" in diameter...run it through a table saw
carefully
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Curious if you could just rent a log splitter for a 1/2 day...

May be less expensive than a E.R. visit.
View Quote

This as well.  The rental in town is like $60.  But for a scout camping trip probably overkill.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not a tree expert, but I'm guessing that it is oak.  Tree was cut down about 4 weeks ago.  Already cut into 18" logs; just needs to be split.  

Too green?  
Oak too much trouble to split?
Too small a job to justify the axe/maul/wedge expense?
View Quote

If it’s Spanish Oak, it’s no fun to split.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use a Grunsfer splitting maul for the larger diameter pieces.  This splitting ring works on smaller pieces.  Plus your boys could use it.  Put a log on it and smacked it a few times with a 2-3 lb maul hammer.  Made by Kindling Cracker

https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/wvDRTmHH/EF4-D653-E-F3-E8-4216-B27-E-3-F3-E389722-A8.jpg
View Quote

This would be a great way to get the boys interested in what you are doing OP.
Kindling Cracker King Firewood Kindling Splitter XL Size

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First thing I would buy is a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Next is a log splitter at least 37 ton. Once you purchase these you will be set
View Quote

Yes, this is what you must buy to split wood for a camping trip.  Anything else is your funeral.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#30]
another vote for the x25 (or x27 if you are larger).

Here's another suggestion. I bought a 7 ton hydraulic splitter on CL for $100. It's an electric splitter that was originally sold at HF for about $300. Look around for the older, 7 ton models. I believe they have gone to a 5 ton. I was hesitant that it would work, but I'm totally shocked what it will split. It says it will split up to a 10" diameter log but I've split 24" rounds of ash and red oak with it recently. Well worth the money even if I paid the $300 msrp. YMMV

No matter what you use, make sure you are wearing safety glasses, gloves, and good boots. You can get hurt very easily.

My splitter pics
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This might be the case.  I just drove by and, the homeowner was in the driveway.  I asked if it was OK to grab the wood, and he said that I was welcome to it, but it won't burn.  It was a long driveway and he seemed to be busy with something else, so I didn't ask why.  I thanked him and left without grabbing it.
View Quote

Ridiculous.  All wood will burn just fine.  Especially for an outdoor firepit style fire, it will work.

Probably not something you would want to heat your home with...but that's of no concern to you.  

Just because it's not the BEST firewood out there, doesn't mean it won't work for what you're trying to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe?  I also got the feel that I couldn't put enough momentum into an 8 lbs maul.

Oh I know.  Why should I do most of the work when I have unlimited high quality gravity right here?  And you have more strength to make sure it falls how you want it to.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can get my entire dump trailer filled up, its 16ft long, for $150 with already split wood.  I think its around 1.5 cords.

Just do that.  its way easier
View Quote

This is the way if you just want some campfire wood.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd make sure of what the species is first.  It it's any variety of elm... just walk away.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#37]
For 14 inch logs you need a maul, wedges, and a sledge hammer. But only IF it is the right kind of wood to split. Some wood is junk, and some wood won't split no matter how hard you try.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem splitting green wood.  Oak will split green no problem.  Some oak is worse than other oak depending on the specific species.

Straight up red oak is super easy to split.  Burr oak sucks.  

Having a single splitting axe will get you through the vast majority of 14" rounds.  Grab one and go at it.  You will figure it out.  It's a tool you can have the rest of your life.  Every man should own an axe or two IMO.
View Quote

Yep. It really is as simple as that. If it turns out the axe isn't enough (Doubtful), get a splitting maul for the tough ones. Split, then cover it, allowing for air circulation and it will dry out for use a LOT quicker. It sucks burning green wood. Dry lights way easier and smokes a lot less. Don't wait, or somebody will snag it before you.

Pray it isn't Elm!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Curious if you could just rent a log splitter for a 1/2 day...

May be less expensive than a E.R. visit.
View Quote

You can rent one from Home Depot,$69 for 4 hours here.If you rent it late in the afternoon you can use it all night long if needed and return it in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#40]
A regular axe is sufficient for what you want.

Nothing really beats the Fiskars 8 lb maul though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
x2 on the Fiskars x27

SHIT!!!!!!!!! You got my post 87!
View Quote

Yes to the Fiskars.
New house with first fireplace.
Fiskars split wood very well
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Search YouTube for homemade Russian log-splitters
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a log splitting maul from Home Depot. It will make you feel like you are a stronger than you really are lol. I have one and it destroys 12 inch plus chunks of wood.  I find myself quoting Conan the barbarian when I swing it. And sadly I’m not even joking about that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I feel weird answering this question from a grown man but I won't judge.

1) know what kind of wood it is.  Some stuff is damn near impossible to split by hand.  Some stuff like pine splits effortlessly.
2) if it's wet/green it's not going to split as easy and won't burn for shit.
3) after the 1st two questions are addressed now we can get to what tool to use.  Hardwoods=splitting maul.  Softwoods like pine = maul or axe.  Axe is more versatile but a splitting maul does one job and does it best. . . splits.
4) sledge and a splitting wedge could be used too I guess.
View Quote

You are close on #1 and 2. Know your wood and if it is easier to split green or seasoned.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Kindling Cracker- Firewood Kindling Splitter Review
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I love splitting wood by hand and I've split a lot.  Always feel very masculine
doing it.  Works best if you're pissed off and take it out on
the rounds.  Maul was my go to tool.  Aim is as important
as force.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#47]
If you're going to be serious about splitting logs you need a maul - not an axe.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#48]

You've clearly never used a fiskers splitting ax.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Look into getting a, "kindling cracker." All you need is a 10 lb. sledge hammer and it's easy to use, easy on your back, and most importantly, safe to use.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Look into getting a, "kindling cracker." All you need is a 10 lb. sledge hammer and it's easy to use, easy on your back, and most importantly, safe to use.
View Quote

I have and use one.

You're in for a real treat if you're putting wood big enough to require a 10lb sledge through a kindling cracker.  

It's for splitting KINDLING not firewood sized logs.  A rubber hammer is all you need for a kindling cracker.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top