Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2017 2:42:02 PM EDT
Time for a new riding lawnmower/garden tractor.

We sold our little L105 John Deere when we moved South to GA because it wouldn't fit on the moving truck.
Bought a beater Murray 42"/20hp rider down here and I've gotten two solid embarrassing years of work from it. (it's ugly/ratty as fuck)
It's served the purpose while we spent money on more important things (two new cars, guns, etc...) but now it's time for something newer/better.

I've always liked the John Deere stuff, but as far as I know, they aren't available with a HD fabricated mower deck like the Husqvarna has.

We have about 3/4 acre here so it's not a huge yard to mow...  so I was thinking something 42"-54" with fabricated deck. The locking rear diff is another major plus to the Husqvarna since I do have some spots in the yard that are hilly and slick sometimes.

A local shop has a used YTH23V42LS with a fab'd deck, locking diff and bagger setup for $1000. it's a 2010 or 2011 model.

Other options are to buy new. The same shop has a few new ones in the showroom. One that caught my eye was the 2016 GTH52XLS. List price was $3399. I was quoted $2900 on this one.
Probably overkill... but nice unit.

What says the hive ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2246 with a little over 100 hours on it now.  It runs great and I have no complaints.  The motor and deck are well balanced so there's not too much vibration.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Will the dealer stand behind the used tractor with any sort of warranty?

If so, I'd but that for the price difference.

I have a Cub Cadet GT2544 with a snow blower. It is used all year.

We only mow about half of our 2 acre yard. The other half 2 or 3 times a year.

Bought new 11 years ago. I'd replace it with a used 1 if I had to buy again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Been beating the crap out of a CZ 48 Husky zero turn for several years now. Had some issues with the steering cables the first couple of years but they changed the design and it has been GTG since. Mowing 1.5 acres every week.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Husqvarna snowthrower. It is the worst snowthrower I have ever owned.
And I have owned MTD

It is made rinky dink.

Beware.

Their tractors may be OK, however I will NEVER buy one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Husqvarna snowthrower. It is the worst snowthrower I have ever owned.
And I have owned MTD

It is made rinky dink.

Beware.

Their tractors may be OK, however I will NEVER buy one.
View Quote

Yeah I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that EVERYTHING is basically a re-labled MTD unit... unless you want to spend $8000+ on a John Deere or Kubota "real" garden tractor.

The things that really sell me on the Husqvarna tractors is the rugged fabricated mower deck and locking rear diff.

I'm leaning towards the used $1k unit...  but SURE would love to have something shiny and new in the garage.

$1k vs $3k is a pretty big difference though.
I'll have to see if the shop offers any warranty with the used one. Didn't get that far into the discussion... as I was all over the place looking at his new ones also.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 52 with the Kawi, it works. I like it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Pic of the old beater that will go on craigslist soon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 52 in husq with a kohler engine I bought new 3 years ago. Other than beating the shit out of the cheap bumper piece its been great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
They are great until the Tuff Torq transaxle goes out. Do a quick google search. There should be a class action lawsuit over this issue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a husqvarna YTH2042 and I hate it. I bought it new in 2008 and it struggles cutting my Bermuda after 7 days. When it dies I will be purchasing a Walker.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We sold our little L105 John Deere when we moved South to GA because it wouldn't fit on the moving truck.
Bought a beater Murray 42"/20hp rider down here and I've gotten two solid embarrassing years of work from it. (it's ugly/ratty as fuck)
It's served the purpose while we spent money on more important things (two new cars, guns, etc...) but now it's time for something newer/better.

I've always liked the John Deere stuff, but as far as I know, they aren't available with a HD fabricated mower deck like the Husqvarna has.

We have about 3/4 acre here so it's not a huge yard to mow...  so I was thinking something 42"-54" with fabricated deck. The locking rear diff is another major plus to the Husqvarna since I do have some spots in the yard that are hilly and slick sometimes.

A local shop has a used YTH23V42LS with a fab'd deck, locking diff and bagger setup for $1000. it's a 2010 or 2011 model.
https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_bNFG5EfclJI_1200x900.jpg

Other options are to buy new. The same shop has a few new ones in the showroom. One that caught my eye was the 2016 GTH52XLS. List price was $3399. I was quoted $2900 on this one.

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/catalogs/10561/products/detail/c35f97b1-7656-41a1-a7cb-25e8d07b92da.jpg

What says the hive ?
View Quote

Pretty sure the second one is the same as Lowes, same price. -$500 for the same mower cause it's "last year's" seems like a decent deal.

Of course riders are about to go on sale everywhere, cause spring...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#13]
After doing some research online... I'm leaning towards buying a new GT series since they have the beefier differential.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the GT52XLSi Garden Tractor a couple of summers ago for $3,499.

The locking differential has really helped out on quite a few occassions.  The fabricated deck is robust, but I wish I could lift it up higher when not in use.  I have some fairly rough terrain and the deck is bottoming out quite a bit when I drive over bumps, etc.

The LED lights are cool, but do not provide much illumination.  I wish the top speeed when just driving was faster. 

As far as factory support goes, I've emailed the factory a few times on different subjects and received no response.  I've posted a question on their forum and did not receive a response there either.

I was strongly considering a Cub Cadet at the time, but after test driving a new one and seeing how quickly a used model they were selling was falling apart I ran.  Outside of a John Deere or a Kubota, I think the Husqvarna's are the only real option.  Knowing what I know now, I would probably still buy the Husqvarna, but I'd be tempted to spend another grand or $1,500 on a John Deere.   
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a John Deere that cost around 3k new 21 years ago. It was a piece of shit, but made 20 years of slogging heavy grass it was never meant to. She was outclassed and under powered.

I retired it last year with a new Husqvarna. I forget the exact model, but it has a 24hp K engine, a 46" deck, and reinforced frame. It wasn't a cheap model, and came from a real dealer. It's powerful and will cut everything around here, but the mower is not even the equal of the piece of shit JD it replaced.

It wouldn't be half bad if it was comfortable to ride on, and the frame didn't flex like a motherfucker. I guess that is a built in feature to keep something or other from cracking or some such bullshit. There is a well known rear wheel mount cracking issue.

It's unsettling to see the hood pop open when you go down short but steep grades. I does it just after the front end goes over the apex of the hill. It will also do it slightly if one front wheel hits a dip in the yard. The engine is good, but the rest seems to be cheaply constructed.

I'd be lucky if it makes it 10 years.

On the other side of the spectrum. I use an International Cub Cadet for all winter work. 49 years old and that old bitch still does her duty.

We just settle for everything affordable today being throw a way shit.

That Cub would cost me about 8 grand to replace and buy all the things for something new, that the Cub does.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2448.
Nothing to brag about. Nothing to complain about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:41:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a new Husky GT52XLS last year for $3G. It has the HydroGear "Fast" differential, Kaw engine, and fab'd deck.  I cut a hilly acre with it, and it works great but I wish the deck would lift another inch or two. If your lawn is smooth, the deck height probably won't make much difference.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 2015 YT48xlsi with fabbed deck, locking diff and Koehler engine. Rubber ends of front bumper vanished when I.S. (idiot son) was mowing lawn. Other than that, good to go, very satisfied. Hinged rubber flap/chute on right side of deck is beat to shit and I'm replacing it when the grass starts getting high in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#19]
They are junk.  Stick with a real JD that has 5 lug rear wheels, even it you have to buy used 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#20]
FYI the fab'd deck is another sign that their manufacturing ability is lacking.  JD can form a 7 gauge deck
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI the fab'd deck is another sign that their manufacturing ability is lacking.  JD can form a 7 gauge deck
View Quote
Having worked in manufacturing for 30yrs I can tell you without a doubt.......

Thats real retarded sir.

OP, look for a used Kubota diesel.

I bought a clapped out G4200, put a lil money into it but only spent $600 total, and it lasted me 8yrs until I could upgrade and is still cutting grass somewhere in RI.

The things are Tanks!

We bit the bullet and bought a 2012 BX25 new and love it. Evrything from mulch in the spring to leaf pickup in the fall and it never complains.

So fuel efficient I forget to fuel it a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#22]
dont.  piles of shit.  

john deere, kubota, cub cadet....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_bNFG5EfclJI_1200x900.jpg

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/catalogs/10561/products/detail/c35f97b1-7656-41a1-a7cb-25e8d07b92da.jpg

What says the hive ?
View Quote

There are better out there. Our Husky dealer want even sell them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Honesty if the budget allows buy a Toro MX5200
I had the Husqvarna on a acre and it was OK. I bought the Toro and damn
15-20min mowing tops and that was with a lot of landscaping to maneuver arround. Almost no edging work after either.
It took me three seasons to break 150hours and it was fun to use.
    Granted it was a huge price difference but it will last you a lifetime.
That Husqvarna is as good as any other big box mower but I assure you the mx5200 might be twice as much but its 20x the machine.
     I sold mine for a tractor when I bought 42 acres but I may buy another for the main yard.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#25]
3/4 acre...unless your hills are larger than an average 3/4 acre yard would have, IMO, you're gonna be fine with what you are looking at...or a JD, or other $1500+ riding mowers.  I'm a fan of JD's, Kawasaki power, as I had one last over 20 years, however, 3/4 acre is not that big and I would expect a B&S Sears would last 10 to 12 years if all you do is change the oil once per year.   If you prefer to own the best, I agree with Kubota or high-end JD models.

Edit: Disregard above...I just noticed you are looking for a garden tractor as well as mower.  For that, spend a little extra for Kubota or higher end JD.  Both look great, have good reps, and will be working good 10 years from now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#26]
We bought a used LSi 48" a couple years ago

The only trouble it has given us it that it is so high torque it tears up normal deck belts
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Ive got one a few years old now.

I like it overall but it has had some issues.
Starter relay had to be replaced.
The starter got stuck somehow and would not let the mower turn over.
If I dont keep my foot on the brake the mower will shake and make a grinding noise bouncing the brake pedal all over.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw the garden tractor part.
Man go with a tiller. You can pull carts etc with the Toro but I'd want my stuff separate.
 Honestly I don't own or need a snow blower for the two times a year we get it so no comment on that.

I did want to comment about the bagger.  If you use the mulching kit on the Zero Turn you'll never need to bag.
Just don't let the grass get too high. Honestly that's the beauty I'm only having to spend 15 minutes on your yard
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Well... I bought a new one. The GTH52XLS

The guy made me a deal I just couldn't refuse.

Sticker was $3399

I bought it for $2000 + tax ($2120) plus my used Sig SP2022 + 6 mags. (approx $500 value)

So...  I bought a $3400 tractor for $2500... AND he's going to deliver it for free. (Wednesday)

I think I did alright.
Never would have gotten a deal like that from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Pics:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#30]
You got a $1k mower for $2500.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry but I wasn't going to pay another $5000 for green paint and a logo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sorry but I wasn't going to pay another $5000 for green paint and a logo.
View Quote

You could have found a JD 445 for what you paid. 300 lbs heavier from all the extra steel, Fuel injected, water cooled, power steering, hydraulic lift 60" deck, strong enough to handle a loader and a plow.  

For an extra $500 you could step up to a 455 diesel that will run for 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please provide a link to those $1k Kawasaki powered garden tractors with HydroGear differentials. I'm not a Husqvarna fanboy but I shopped the hell outa those things before I bought mine. My next choices would have been a low end Scag or Ferris zero turn. IMO, the good JDs start at about $5K.  As for the Big Box mowers, they're built to a different spec than the Dealer mowers, and you won't find a Kawasaki engine in a Big Box mower of any brand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Please provide a link to those $1k Kawasaki powered garden tractors with HydroGear differentials. I'm not a Husqvarna fanboy but I shopped the hell outa those things before I bought mine. My next choices would have been a low end Scag or Ferris zero turn. IMO, the good JDs start at about $5K.  As for the Big Box mowers, they're built to a different spec than the Dealer mowers, and you won't find a Kawasaki engine in a Big Box mower of any brand.
View Quote
I never said $1k where did that come from.

FYI the Husqvarna is a big box mower  Pick up today at Lowes  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The closest model to the OP's has a 54" stamped deck. Husky riders come with fab'd or stamped decks depending on the model. I spent many years in the metal stamping and fabrication biz, and I can tell you that stamping mower decks ain't rocket science. Fabricating a deck is actually more labor intensive than stamping one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The closest model to the OP's has a 54" stamped deck. Husky riders come with fab'd or stamped decks depending on the model. I spent many years in the metal stamping and fabrication biz, and I can tell you that stamping mower decks ain't rocket science. Fabricating a deck is actually more labor intensive than stamping one.
View Quote
Why would they fab an 11 gauge deck?  Why?  

A JD 60" deck like found on the 445, 455, 485 etc weighs 50% of what the entire Hussqvarna mower weighs complete.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said the OP's mower is worth "$1k". I own the same model Husky that the OP bought, and mine has a Kawasaki engine. This from Lowe's description:
"The 24-HP Endurance ™ V-Twin engine, powered by Briggs & Stratton"
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You said the OP's mower is worth "$1k". I own the same model Husky that the OP bought, and mine has a Kawasaki engine. This from Lowe's description:
View Quote
They are junk and cannot handle garden tractor type work

Husqvarna's website says a BS engine too
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

And pay full retail.

I got my tractor for $2120 and a SP2022 I bought for $373.

That's $2493 total from my pocket...delivered to my door... ready to mow... for a tractor that otherwise sells for $3399 everywhere else.

$2500 isn't going to buy shit for a John Deere. I see the D170's at home depot for $2800-2900.

How many places can I trade a handgun towards a garden tractor ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A JD 60" deck like found on the 445, 455, 485 etc weighs 50% of what the entire Hussqvarna mower weighs complete.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those things aren't even made any more.  You haven't bought a new mower lately, have you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Comsumer Husqvarna mowers are just high priced MTDs that look fancy. There is no functional or quality difference. And yes, I have experience with many.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct. Mine has the Briggs motor.

Glad you are a JD fan. I like the JD's too... but not enough to spent the extra money.
I am happy with my purchase.

Are you done shitting on my parade yet ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
dont.  piles of shit.  

john deere, kubota, cub cadet....
View Quote

This.

Neighbor has a Husqvana, it's junk.

Get a Cub Cabet or Kubota, I've had both, they would run cycles around the neighnor's mower, his gear box is going out on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#44]
you know why not Husky? I broke the steering rack in one day, one fucking day. They were mortified trying to push it back into lowes and they couldn't steer it. Ordered a Deere. It's still going, this will be season III
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well... I bought a new one. The GTH52XLS

The guy made me a deal I just couldn't refuse.

Sticker was $3399

I bought it for $2000 + tax ($2120) plus my used Sig SP2022 + 6 mags. (approx $500 value)

So...  I bought a $3400 tractor for $2500... AND he's going to deliver it for free. (Wednesday)

I think I did alright.
Never would have gotten a deal like that from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Pics:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0229-155413.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0231-155414.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0232--2--155415.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/7187/IMG-0233--2--155416.JPG
View Quote

Crap, never mine, good luck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Those things aren't even made any more.  You haven't bought a new mower lately, have you?
View Quote
No  

I buy JD used with 1k hrs or so on them and run them for another 2-3 THOUSAND hrs.  That is 60 years of residential use at 50 hrs/yr.  

I had one Husqvarna and sold it for 1/2 of what I paid a year earlier to get that shit off my property. That was after the steering spindle broke and the deck spindle needed replaced, both before the warranty ran out. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You could have found a JD 445 for what you paid. 300 lbs heavier from all the extra steel, Fuel injected, water cooled, power steering, hydraulic lift 60" deck, strong enough to handle a loader and a plow.  

For an extra $500 you could step up to a 455 diesel that will run for 30 years.
View Quote

I just googled a John Deere 455.
Built 1992-2001 ? lol

Are you kidding me ?

I'm not buying a 20 year old tractor for $2500.

I'm mowing a lawn, not tilling a farm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake. I thought the OP's was the same as mine. I didn't know the dealers sold that model with a Briggs. I have the GT52XLS with the Kawasaki engine.GT52XLS
ETA: I looked at some older JDs before I bought the Husky. They're cool and built well but they don't perform like the newer mowers. Mine has a much higher blade speed and will run about 7 MPH. My other mower is a Scag Hydro walk behind, so I know what heavy duty is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are correct. Mine has the Briggs motor.

Glad you are a JD fan. I like the JD's too... but not enough to spent the extra money.
I am happy with my purchase.

Are you done shitting on my parade yet ?
View Quote
Well you asked for advice and I posted way up above to stay away from them.  I have real work experience on them and I'd buy a 20 yr old JD over and over but I'll never own another Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I just googled a John Deere 455.
Built 1992-2001 ? lol

Are you kidding me ?

I'm not buying a 20 year old tractor for $2500.

I'm mowing a lawn, not tilling a farm.
View Quote
We keep a 33 hp diesel JD F1445 with a 62" rear discharge deck at home to mow with.  I bought it with 2k hrs and it runs like a dream.  I paid $1800 for it.

It has a roof and a seatbelt and I have done nothing to it other than change the oil and fill it up once a month 

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top