Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/28/2023 9:07:48 AM EDT
Get home yesterday and the wife says that there was some letter she missed from USPS that had to be signed for. Looked at the slip and its the one and only power company in our area.

Didnt really think much about it. Later on I saw some others on my street post about the same thing on social media. Looks like the entire street got letters. There are lines up in the air about where my fence ends. However there are no poles in my yard. Id imagine this is about replacing the lines and poles.

A guy posted on the neighborhood group and he seems to think everyone is going to have to take their fence and shed down based on what he received.

About 20 or so houses on my street. Id say all of them have a shed by what I can see. 90% have fences extending the same length. Nearly all yards are a clone of each other in terms of shed/fence placement

My wife is super fired up about it. I on the other hand am just curious how much work Im going to be responsible for in this kind of situation

Not mine but all the backyards are basically the same

What am I in for here?

Edit for copy of letter

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You gon be learnt tenderly
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you will lose the shed if they decide to pursue it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Call and ask
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What does the letter say?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don’t you ask the power company after you read the letter?

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don’t you ask the power company after you read the letter?

View Quote

GD alone can solve this crisis for the entire hood
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
don't build shit on an easement
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
don't build shit on an easement
View Quote

To be fair

I didnt
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#9]
My neighborhood just had its lines buried.   A great thing given how plagued we are with trees playing Smashy-Smashy with the lines.  Dominion Resources and its subcontractors visibility did everything they could to minimize property damage and footprint. Most people dealt with it, but there were a few ("fine as is") Karens.

They will tell you what they need you to do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]
We had the state condemn about 150 useless square feet of our 60 acres for a right of way for a turnaround when they removed a bridge.  They don't fuck around.  The good news is we got about 3 grand for it.  I am certain it should have been $300 but apparently the state uses subcontractors who are literally retards.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you ask the power company after you read the letter?

eta:
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Your only option is to kiss ass and see if you can get them to work around it. If your neighbors go full Karen and start telling them they will sue them, etc. it won't work out too well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Send me a dm and I can help you with what I can.  I work pipeline. CenterPoint can choke on a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My neighborhood just had its lines buried.   A great thing given how plagued we are with trees playing Smashy-Smashy with the lines.  Dominion Resources and its subcontractors visibility did everything they could to minimize property damage and footprint. Most people dealt with it, but there were a few ("fine as is") Karens.

They will tell you what they need you to do.
View Quote

Dominion is doing that in my neighborhood in phases.  IMO, they did an excellent job on minimizing the impact but there were a few of "those types" who were looking for Dominion to finance an entire landscaping job for their front lawns.  

We had to sign new easements to get it done, but they typically were in the front yards where the county had their easements anyways.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a letter from power company approving shed and fence in existing location as a condition of your granting of easement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Send me a dm and I can help you with what I can.  I work pipeline. CenterPoint can choke on a bag of dicks.
View Quote

Thanks man I appreciate that. Once I get the specifics Ill do that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
An "easement" is defined as "a non-possessory interest in a property." IOW even though you own it, the utility company has the right to use the property as it sees fit, just as if it does own it.
When you bought the property, you (and your neighbors) signed a paper saying you accepted the condition of that easement.

Unless you didn't! It's possible that there's no such agreement; if that's the case, the utility can pound sand.
It may be worth some investigation to see if they are blowing smoke.
Also, an easement will be well-defined; your sheds, etc. may be safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Trust me, you'll do much better playing nice than playing hardball.

I work for a utility, and at the end of the day they will win if you choose to fight them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
An "easement" is defined as "a non-possessory interest in a property." IOW even though you own it, the utility company has the right to use the property as it sees fit, just as if it does own it.
When you bought the property, you (and your neighbors) signed a paper saying you accepted the condition of that easement.

Unless you didn't! It's possible that there's no such agreement; if that's the case, the utility can pound sand.
View Quote
The easement is on the title whether he thinks he signed it or not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Are they power lines, or just residential power stuff?

Eversource is replacing all the 60 odd year old wooden poles around here with big rusted steel poles.  From what I've seen, they aren't really disturbing the area.

I got a letter for my lot, but I don't use that part anyways.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Could be bad

More likely an agreement will be made
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW places that sell sheds will have a forklift type setup that can move sheds for delivery (and sometimes repossesion)

If  a bunch of people need sheds moved, they might get a decent price on it by doing it all at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn, dude, that's a big chunk of your back yard.
View Quote

You aint joking

My backyard is hella small too
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Eversource is replacing all the 60 odd year old wooden poles around here with big rusted steel poles.  From what I've seen, they aren't really disturbing the area.

View Quote

I think theyre just powerlines

High in the sky and theres 4 or so lines. I dont know shit about them

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What does the easement in your deed say and what does the letter say?
View Quote

Come on Aimless you know the rules

We still on the first page

I havent even seen the letter yet

This is the time for utility horror stories and GD telling me to take a rooftop korean approach
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get a letter from power company approving shed and fence in existing location as a condition of your granting of easement.
View Quote

The power lines are already there. The easement has already been granted.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#29]
You may just have to move the shed if they are gonna bury the power lines. Some sch 40 pvc pipe for rollers and a couple friends could get that done rather quickly
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't exactly accurate.  A recorded easement applies to a piece of property, even if the buyer doesn't know about it.  Real estate sales have a due diligence deadline to allow buyers to research encumbrances like this.  Typically this is done by a title insurance company, who will except any easements from their policy.  The generate a property report that the buyer can review before the sale.

Some people buy without title insurance.  Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they're doing something crazy like adding a new line, they'll probably stay in their corridor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is the time for utility horror stories and GD telling me to take a rooftop korean approach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the easement in your deed say and what does the letter say?

Like transmission lines?  Do they make a buzzing noise?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#33]
City people problems with 13' of grass to defend.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a big easement on my property including the medium height transmission lines and the small ones, going right through the neighborhood. I've got a fence on the easement, and no power poles. They're not going to tear stuff down unless they have to. We also recently had them add fiber data transmission lines to the poles

Tips from my experience
1) Call the company, learn who the arborist and the easement guys are and talk to them directly. I have 0 issues with building a fence on the easement because I called them ahead of time, worked with them, and took their stuff into consideration, which was basically just adding a gate. The original plan they sent me had the gate in a really stupid place, so I had the guy actually come out and look at the land. I've had zero problems since, and I actually get the good tree trimmers sent to my property to keep the trees back, not the hack jobs they often use. Some of my neighbors, who refuse to even look at the list the power company puts out about what plants are good to plant under the lines, have all kinds of fights.

2) My power company has a form for building stuff on the easement. You fill it out and you send it in, which is where the tip 1 thing about knowing the easement guys comes in. If they approve the form, then if they do work on your property and damage anything on the form, they have to fix it. If the power company damages my fence, they fix it at their cost. Get that in to the company.

In my experience, if your shed and fence are unapproved, then they won't remove them. The just won't care that they are there and if they damage them while working it won't be their problem. but they're not going to go out of their way to break stuff. Everybody else on the easement near me has lots of fences, sheds, plants, etc. and the power company does not care about anything unless it actually interferes with the lines. I've never heard them damaging anything, except for big trees and bushes that idiots insist on planting under the lines.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What does the letter say?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#36]
The very back corner of my lot, ducks out in the power lines maybe 50ish feet.

I know there is an easement, my survey shows there is an easement, I have no plans to use that corner, etc.

I have absolutely no paperwork on it.  Deed, title, etc, no mention.

I may get bored one of these years and do some research.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
City people problems with 13' of grass to defend.
View Quote

It really is awful

I cant wait to have a backyard shooting range
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#38]
If it’s in the easement and in their way, it will have to be removed.  If it’s not in their way, it’s probably not a problem and they won’t do anything even if it’s in the easement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Like transmission lines?  Do they make a buzzing noise?
View Quote

Not that I hear

But boy Im not gunna lie my hearing is getting pretty bad
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Is this the first you are hearing about these easements?

If the easement wasn't discovered and disclosed by the title company when you bought the land, I'd file a title insurance claim.

You do have title insurance,  don't you...?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#41]
You will lose. Power and transmission companies don't fuck around. A semi-local guy tried taking on ATC saying the easement was no longer in effect. He lost a lot of cash in lawyer fees.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wisconsin/supreme-court/2017/2014ap002279.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Bet everybody built on the utility easement and the easement holder wants it cleared off.  

You don't have to sign for the letter but you must yield to the easement holder b/c if they clear it off for you, they bill you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#43]
You have come to the right place for really insane answers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cannot believe no one has suggesting rooftop koreans yet
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#45]
It could be anything from a few guys walking through your yard to having to remove structures. I'd find out from them before getting too worked up.

We had a drainage easement and got a similar letter several years ago. Neighborhood was all worked up thinking it was the end of the world. Ended up just being a few guys with pole saws and trimmers cleaning up the ditch so it wouldn't get backed up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Free legal advice is worth a lot less than what you paid.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is this the first you are hearing about these easements?

If the easement wasn't discovered and disclosed by the title company when you bought the land, I'd file a title insurance claim.

You do have title insurance,  don't you...?
View Quote

Absolutely this.  In CA title companies are held to the fiduciary standard of care.  If they failed to disclose this, they eat it.  Happened to people who bought my uncle's house and they were going to build on the adjacent lot.  Then the Water Department told them nyet, not on our easement. Well, the title company ate it big time.    

This is why I always insist on title insurance instead of a title search. I  can do the latter myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#48]
If that’s what is happening, nothing will be happening any time soon.

I am watching this right now, up close in my town (it doesn’t impact me) as a leader in utilities here.

The power company wants you to move your shed.

But the town issued you a permit for the shed.

Tell the power company to talk to the town.

The town doesn’t want to take responsibility.

Homeowners threaten to sue the town.

The power company threatens to sue the homeowners.

It’s been years.

But good luck. It’s messy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You may just have to move the shed if they are gonna bury the power lines. Some sch 40 pvc pipe for rollers and a couple friends could get that done rather quickly
View Quote

You know what? That's a damn good idea. I've been thinking of temporarily moving mine (12x12) to clean up under it and re-level. I would have to take everything out of it because of the weight but it needs an inside clean-up anyway. It was site-built but in the same style as a pre-built except for a steeper, taller roof to match the house, and it has two double 2x6 skids under it.

BTW, the easements will also be seen on the plat that was in your closing documents. Typically the utilities will literally 'go out of their way' to avoid damaging anything. Just bide your time - as already said, you'll find out if they need anything from you in due time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's a copy of the letter I'm presumably waiting on

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top