BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's some pics of the back

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time as long as the line crews can get around things and complete repairs, its usually a non issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The power lines are already there. The easement has already been granted.
View Quote

In theory.

There's a member here with a nice condo they bought with the settlement for something that did not have a recorded easement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]

In that case, I'd definitely wait and see. However, I'd also try to have an adult home who is willing & able to deal with reasonable requests by the utility.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Based on the replies in the group from others on the street that have contacted them; sounds like we better get ready to bend over

I got a month to move a shed and tear down a fence I guess.

Not sure what Im gunna do about my doggo without a fence
View Quote

Put wheels on the shed, move it and move it back when the work is done.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like you and you neighbors made it impossible to access the right of way.  I know you didn't build the shed, but that defintely looks like it will impede their work.  We very rarely mess with anyone that builds in the right of way here, but that does't look good from the pictures.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like you previous owner and you neighbors made it impossible to access the right of way.  I know you didn't build the shed, but that defintely looks like it will impede their work.  We very rarely mess with anyone that builds in the right of way here, but that does't look good from the pictures.
View Quote

Fixed according to OP's story.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It really is awful

I cant wait to have a backyard shooting range
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
City people problems with 13' of grass to defend.

It really is awful

I cant wait to have a backyard shooting range
I love it, I am setting in a RDS on my G34 this weekend to get it ready for some comps coming up.

That said, I'm not saying I don't have any easements, but I didn't sign anything or it never came up when we purchased our place.

I'm sure we have something though because I do know that Black River's power comes across the neighbors pasture to the left of us, to a pole left of my outbuilding, then goes underground across the front of the outbuilding the service entrance on the left side of the house.

Then it both Black River Electric and ATT go underground from that pole out about 25' behind my outbuilding and go all the way across the property to a pole in the (only visible) neighbor's back yard.

Then, out close to the back of the property there is a Yellow plastic post with a Gas Line sign on it, that cuts diagonally from out in the pasture behind our place, across our property and runs between us and the neighbors property. I can see another of those Yellow Gas Sign posts across the road, right before it goes under the creek and across the other huge pasture.
Ironically, we can't get gas out here, but they run a huge supply line under our property...

I have done a few things where I thankfully went to Missouri811 (or dig rite) and filled out a locate ticket and marked off where I was digging, then they came out located and marked where the utilities I mentioned ran.

I often wanted to add on another 30' or so to the back of my outbuilding and wondered if I could get them to move their lines back to accommodate me.

Attached is a Snip-it from Google Maps showing my House on the left, the one neighbor on the right and the lines I was refering too above.
Power - Red
ATT - Blue
Gas - Yellow

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The easement is on the title whether he thinks he signed it or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An "easement" is defined as "a non-possessory interest in a property." IOW even though you own it, the utility company has the right to use the property as it sees fit, just as if it does own it.
When you bought the property, you (and your neighbors) signed a paper saying you accepted the condition of that easement.

Unless you didn't! It's possible that there's no such agreement; if that's the case, the utility can pound sand.
It may be worth some investigation to see if they are blowing smoke.
Also, an easement will be well-defined; your sheds, etc. may be safe.
The easement is on the title whether he thinks he signed it or not.

Not necessarily.  Probably, especially if it's a newer neighborhood, but that is not always the case. In my case, there was a chain of ownership and lawsuits involving heirship with an alley that turned de-facto easement and the electrical distributor had marked it as an easement, but it is owned by fractions of two different corporations owned by grandchildren of the owner of the company that planted the neighborhood decades ago, is platted as separate property, and has no easement at all.  So while they arguably have an obligation to provide electrical service, they don't have an easement where it is.  On the other hand, my neighbors and I like having electrical service, so when they come to maintain lines or trim trees, I unlock my gates and usually bring out a cooler of drinks.  Oddly enough, they don't damage my yard, they close the gates behind them, and can usually do a little trimming on limbs that don't directly affect the lines if I point something out that I'd like trimmed.  Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd tell em to get bent
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep came to me this way. I sure woulda remembered had I been told all these weren't suppose to really be there. I'm sure I was told about the easement but hell at the time I probably didn't put two and two together.

There's also a stone retaining wall on the other side of my fence.

So ya this is going to be a fucking blast to move within a few weeks with work and 2 kids under 2 yrs old
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep came to me this way. I sure woulda remembered had I been told all these weren't suppose to really be there. I'm sure I was told about the easement but hell at the time I probably didn't put two and two together.

So ya this is going to be a fucking blast to move within a few weeks with work and 2 kids under 2 yrs old
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that you didn't build it.  Honestly, you(previous builder) would have gotten away with it if it was just you.  Looks like the whole neighborhood decided to block the right of way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I doubt they will make you move the retaining wall unless they have no other choice. They need to be able to get a bobcat sized critter either up that creek draw or in your back yard to set poles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read that you didn't build it.  Honestly, you(previous builder) would have gotten away with it if it was just you.  Looks like the whole neighborhood decided to block the right of way.
View Quote

Well you wouldnt have gotten back there through my yard anyways, or my neighbors for that matter

The only way to access it is down the road. Im not sure you could squeeze much equipment between the houses here. I mean I guess you could a mini exc but it would be a real asshole thing to do when you could go down the street and then come up the ditch. Thats the only way they are going to get something big enough back there to take down the poles
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd tell em to get bent
View Quote

And that will go extremely poorly for you
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Came for MS paint.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well you wouldnt have gotten back there through my yard anyways, or my neighbors for that matter

The only way to access it is down the road. Im not sure you could squeeze much equipment between the houses here. I mean I guess you could a mini exc but it would be a real asshole thing to do when you could go down the street and then come up the ditch. Thats the only way they are going to get something big enough back there to take down the poles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean access from your driveway.  Maybe the pics are bad perspective.  Is there are road back there already?  If not they are going to lay down mats from the entrance.  We use 50 ton cranes to replace our transmission poles.  They take up a lot of room, then add at least one 100' bucket truck, plus a front end loader or a skid steer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't mean access from your driveway.  Maybe the pics are bad perspective.  Is there are road back there already?  If not they are going to lay down mats from the entrance.  We use 50 ton cranes to replace our transmission poles.  They take up a lot of room, then add at least one 100' bucket truck, plus a front end loader or a skid steer.
View Quote

No its mostly a small ditch. The land is sloping

A 50 ton crane gunna be a issue but a loader or skid steer wouldnt. I bet you could get a bucket truck back there fine.

Some of that land is pretty sloping though as its pushing all the water to that small ditch that leads to a small pond off to the right in my pics. Off to the left itll eventually hit a cross road and thats where I assume there are going to come in.

But yeah man not a ton of room. Someone mentioned in the group that its a 60 ft easement that they have

Im still waiting for my certified letter or whatever that explains what exactly is going on with mine. But I can go to my fence and look straight up and see one of those lines coming over into my property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]
IF a fence or structure placed within an easement is in the way of the utility company, they USUALLY will ask you to take down or remove whatever section(s) are needed for their access. If the owner fails to take down or remove after being asked to do so, the utility company will have someone do it and it may or may not be pretty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get home yesterday and the wife says that there was some letter she missed from USPS that had to be signed for. Looked at the slip and its the one and only power company in our area.

Didnt really think much about it. Later on I saw some others on my street post about the same thing on social media. Looks like the entire street got letters. There are lines up in the air about where my fence ends. However there are no poles in my yard. Id imagine this is about replacing the lines and poles.

A guy posted on the neighborhood group and he seems to think everyone is going to have to take their fence and shed down based on what he received.

About 20 or so houses on my street. Id say all of them have a shed by what I can see. 90% have fences extending the same length. Nearly all yards are a clone of each other in terms of shed/fence placement

My wife is super fired up about it. I on the other hand am just curious how much work Im going to be responsible for in this kind of situation

Not mine but all the backyards are basically the same

What am I in for here?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/FB_IMG_1682686464477-2798377.jpg

Edit for copy of letter

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/Screenshot_20230428_091008_Facebook-2798443.jpg
View Quote

@chase45 you need to request a copy of the easement and read it carefully. The majority of our easements are written differently and don't actually forbid buildings/fences in them...

If a pole has been designed to go on (or near) your property, they may need to remove/move the fence in certain spots for access/installation and depending on what is in that easement, they could be responsible for it. An easement from the 70s likely may not be as comprehensive as one from the last 20 years.

Some will straight up restrict any buildings/large vegetation... I don't think I've ever seen one that restricted fencing though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@chase45 you need to request a copy of the easement and read it carefully. The majority of our easements are written differently and don't actually forbid buildings/fences in them...

If a pole has been designed to go on (or near) your property, they may need to remove/move the fence in certain spots for access/installation and depending on what is in that easement, they could be responsible for it. An easement from the 70s likely may not be as comprehensive as one from the last 20 years.

Some will straight up restrict any buildings/large vegetation... I don't think I've ever seen one that restricted fencing though.
View Quote

These were ours. It’s all very specific.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]

That looks like an easement set up by the city/county along their right of ways, and would technically restrict fencing on it.

OPs situation is different as it appears to be an easement completely across private properties (unless I've missed something).  I don't think I've seen utility easements written the same way, except for the new ones we secure now. It's worth checking what his entails
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That looks like an easement set up by the city/county along their right of ways, and would technically restrict fencing on it.

OPs situation is different as it appears to be an easement completely across private properties (unless I've missed something).  I don't think I've seen utility easements written the same way, except for the new ones we secure now. It's worth checking what his entails
View Quote

That’s private, “across lot xxx” was my yard. Public is referring to the utility, not the land.

It was a neighborhood, all platted and laid out with easements and maps beforehand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah Im gunna have to get some more details myself

Probably should know more about the easements on my property but hey this is the first time its ever came up in my life

Hell this may end up not even being a issue for me since the poles arent right on me. But who really knows just yet. There is another off and down to the right of the pics I posted a ways. That one is going to be a pain in the dick for them to get to

If I do have to relocate a bunch of shit this is gunna be a nightmare though. All my able bodied buddies have moved away for the most part. Not even sure how its gunna work out for that retaining wall .
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#25]
See if the utility will pay for a house moving company to move your shed out of the way for a while then move it back.

It's easier than you think.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is how they deal with easement disputes in CO.
https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-01-2022/kuMSqU.gif
View Quote

This is the way...

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Lol did that start over a easement? I forgot what actually was the trigger other than they were being dicks and playing fuck fuck games with the guys business or something like that
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah the insisting on moving stuff instead of "work around it and might damage things" sounds like an underground line.

That's a good thing, but means actually having to move stuff now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here most lines in residential areas are being put underground now.  So hopefully that's what they will do at your place.
Yeah the insisting on moving stuff instead of "work around it and might damage things" sounds like an underground line.

That's a good thing, but means actually having to move stuff now.

You shouldn’t, they use boring tools and small access ports, they don’t dig trenches and shit for that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#29]
well wife says no redelivery attempt on the signature required letter

So I guess I gotta march my ass down to the post office to see what the deal be
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
well wife says no redelivery attempt on the signature required letter

So I guess I gotta march my ass down to the post office to see what the deal be
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Wouldn't hurt to save any receipts in a folder between now and after completion, just in case you make any sort of claim, afterwards since "utility company shall restore the property." Any costs with removing or replacing fencing may add up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Are they undergrounding existing wires?

They're doing a ton of that where I live. If so, you'd get to see cool horizontal drilling machines and funny colored cables sprouting up all over.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#34]

I really contemplated just letting this all take its course and trying to avoid the letter

But I have a feeling that might bite me in the ass
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]
You mean people use easement property like they own it? I thought it was no go property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Tiny House Repossession With New Mule.. #21
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#37]
In Texas, we can keep the structures you outline, but we must allow the power company unrestricted access to their lines.  At our farm we just have a gate marked for the power company so they know where they can access their lines without tearing down our property (fence).  The only grumble/gripe I have is that if our property has a tree that grows too close to their lines, they'll just come on the property and chop the tree down without any consideration to where it falls, what it breaks, or any cleanup.  Other than that we coexist wtih the easements required for the power company's access while keeping our property fully enclosed in our fence line.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

GD alone can solve this crisis for the entire hood
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don’t you ask the power company after you read the letter?

Yep. You're going to have to kill dozer the power company.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Marv Heemeyer depended on an access easement thru the neighboring property for his business. It sounds, by most accounts, that the denial of that access easement was the beginning of his descent into darkness.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah Im gunna have to get some more details myself

Probably should know more about the easements on my property but hey this is the first time its ever came up in my life

Hell this may end up not even being a issue for me since the poles arent right on me. But who really knows just yet. There is another off and down to the right of the pics I posted a ways. That one is going to be a pain in the dick for them to get to

If I do have to relocate a bunch of shit this is gunna be a nightmare though. All my able bodied buddies have moved away for the most part. Not even sure how its gunna work out for that retaining wall .
View Quote

Existing poles aren't necessarily a good indicator of where the new poles will be located. Look around to see if they've placed wooden stakes anywhere and see if they have anything written on them. A pole stake will usually have "pole" written on it, or a structure number. Potentially similar numbers to the poles already near you... something in the format of "12/5". If none of those are out, they haven't staked the new locations yet... either way, you should be able to contact them to confirm if a pole is going on your property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don’t you ask the power company after you read the letter?

GD is still trying to resolve beans and chili and the 9mm vs 45acp debate

Your in for a wait

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Dude, call and find out who the lead engineer is for the project and have them come to your house and find out what they need. I seriously doubt you need to move your fence and shed but see what their plan is and how it can be augmented and worked around.

That makes a lot more sense that removing and  moving a bunch of things you probably don’t have to. Sucks that you have to deal with it though man.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
FWIW places that sell sheds will have a forklift type setup that can move sheds for delivery (and sometimes repossesion)

If  a bunch of people need sheds moved, they might get a decent price on it by doing it all at the same time.
View Quote

+1

Get a group buy on shed relocations. But you'll all need to have your sheds empty on the same day.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You mean people use easement property like they own it? I thought it was no go property.
View Quote

That's not what that means. It just means someone else has access to that property in a way spelled out in the easement. It may also place some restrictions on the property within the easement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Call them and ask them how much access they need rather than rely on a form letter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dude, call and find out who the lead engineer is for the project and have them come to your house and find out what they need. I seriously doubt you need to move your fence and shed but see what their plan is and how it can be augmented and worked around.

That makes a lot more sense that removing and  moving a bunch of things you probably don’t have to. Sucks that you have to deal with it though man.
View Quote

Bwahahaha.

Good luck op getting hold of an engineer at cnp. Be prepared to leave a message. They may or may not get back with you.
Maybe they are different up there though idk. But the ones here in Houston centerpoint suck.
Heck I worked for them and it took an act of congress to get some of them to answer their phone.
Was easier to just walk down the hall and barge into their office .
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You will lose. Power and transmission companies don't fuck around. A semi-local guy tried taking on ATC saying the easement was no longer in effect. He lost a lot of cash in lawyer fees.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wisconsin/supreme-court/2017/2014ap002279.html
View Quote

The other lesson is that there are plenty of lawyers who will gleefully take your money knowing full well you will lose your case.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I saw a certified letter mailing and thought it might be for a new easement. Since the easement on OP's property is existing, the power company will raze his house since it is near the easement and electrocute his dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the impression that the power company already has the easement. Normally easements exist before the house is built and first sold. It does seem  to be a larger than normal easement. The area my home is in has a five foot easement on each lot for a ten foot wide utility easement. It is common to see fences in the easement but not buildings. Someone might put a small shed on pavers so that it could be moved but even that is taking a chance.

I saw a certified letter mailing and thought it might be for a new easement. Since the easement on OP's property is existing, the power company will raze his house since it is near the easement and electrocute his dog.

It is very unlikely that they will hurt the dog.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Hide your dog?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top