Quoted:
another cool 1917 vid, by MAC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1Zhe17CX4
View Quote

ETa Good video
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
picked one up today on my day off

Eddystone with original barrel from September 1918, majority of the parts are Eddystone except for the bolt, rear barrel band, and trigger guard

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only a rumor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't Sergeant York actually carry a 1917?

I think there's still some uncertainty about that. Last I heard, somebody had figured out that he had indeed acquired a 1903 before seeing combat, even though his unit was issued 1917s.

I could be wrong, though.

ETA: beat.

Only a rumor.

His son stated he told him he had a 1903 that he had obtained by trading his 1917 for it.  He preferred the 1903 and told people he used a springfield.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't help but wonder how rare mine with the barrel band really is.

I know that there were a shitload of them, but I haven't seen many in current times with the band like mine.

Plus the Danish range card, I haven't seen any of them other than mine that have it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my favorite bolt rifles.  I'll try and get some pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Now you have me wanting another one of these.     I prefer the  p14 for plinking, the .303 seems to handle  cast bullets better.  

However, i have all these m2 bullet pulls.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now you have me wanting another one of these.     I prefer the  p14 for plinking, the .303 seems to handle  cast bullets better.  

However, i have all these m2 bullet pulls.
View Quote

FWIW, I found that mine shoots best with 150grn loads.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I still had my Eddystone P17 :(
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked one up at the Tulsa gun show a couple a years ago for $200.00, the bore looked like a sewer pipe. When got it home and cleaned I found the bore was loaded with cosmoline. It has a HS replacement barrel and shoots great, probably one of my best gun show scores.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I need a P14 to round it out.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one made by Remington in the 75,000 serial range all original aside from the HS barrel that I got back around 1980 for $150. I have the bayonet also made by Remington that my father bought at an old camping supply store around 1961 for $5. I'd sneak that bayonet out and I was General Custer fighting the Indians. Point it forward and yell ":Charge" when I was in the 6-10yr old  age range. Back around 1986 I was at Fort Bragg and went thru the 82nd Airborne Museum. there was a single glass display case that had Sgt. York's 1917 Enfield in it. Upon closer look I could make out that the rifle was made by Remington. Next time I'm down in Pall Mall ,Tenn at his Cemetary, I'll have to ask his son Andrew [Jackson] York who's a Park Ranger at Sgt. York's home. You fix that bayonet on the rifle and then imagine yourself climbing out of the trench and sprinting how many hundreds of yards under machine gun fire to attack the enemy. That's when you realize what those Doughboys went thru to protect our Freedom!!! That's a long ass hunk of equipment!!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#12]
took the rifle apart to clean it really well and noticed what I'm hoping to God isn't a crack on the receiver ring at the bottom of the receiver right by the index mark where the barrel meets up with the receiver.

I found a gunsmith up here, I'll see if I can take the barreled action to him this afternoon and see what he says
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of you fellers have some really nice weapons.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Eddystone with original barrel from September 1918, majority of the parts are Eddystone except for the bolt, rear barrel band, and trigger guard

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/Eddystone_zpsrqpq1paw.png
View Quote

Looks good! They're very pleasant rifles to shoot.

If it's got the original barrel, the chance of the receiver being cracked are about 0%. The cracks in the receiver were caused by removing the old barrel without using relief cuts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Got this one from Bubba who was 2 seconds from destroying it. All matching Remington.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Great guns.

The sporter is a commercial BSA my grandfather bought while stationed in England during the Korean War (he was an Air Force MP).  He wanted one in '06 but all they had left was a .303.  It was his deer rifle for 50 years, and the first one I used before I got my own.  Wears the same Weaver K2.5 he bought at the same time.  It's been out west hunting elk and mule deer.

The 17 is an all matching Remington.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If it's got the original barrel, the chance of the receiver being cracked are about 0%. The cracks in the receiver were caused by removing the old barrel without using relief cuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel is a 9-18 Eddystone which fits the same serial number range as the receiver

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

barrel is a 9-18 Eddystone which fits the same serial number range as the receiver

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It's almost certainly just a scratch then. Most of the Eddystones with cracked receivers have WWII replacement (JA, usually) barrels.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
took the rifle apart to clean it really well and noticed what I'm hoping to God isn't a crack on the receiver ring at the bottom of the receiver right by the index mark where the barrel meets up with the receiver.

I found a gunsmith up here, I'll see if I can take the barreled action to him this afternoon and see what he says
View Quote

It could very well be.  Inspect carefully.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I swapped my "sanitized" Eddystone (all of the markings were ground off, including the ordnance stamps) for an Argentinian Hi-Power. It was a good trade, but I wouldn't mind another M1917...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just got back from a machine shop. The machinist didn't magnaflux it but he did look it over really well with a magnifying monocle. It's a scratch.

I'm relieved to say the least
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Since we're reminiscing, anybody know where I can get a non sporterized stock for my 1917? I was my grandfathers rifle, it killed a few deer too
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since we're reminiscing, anybody know where I can get a non sporterized stock for my 1917? I was my grandfathers rifle, it killed a few deer too
View Quote

Boyd's.  Will require some fitting.  Between EBay and one of the various parts vendors like Numrich you can get all the missing bands, screws,  ect...  Working on my Grandfather's deer rifle too..
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Boyd's.  Will require some fitting.  Between EBay and one of the various parts vendors like Numrich you can get all the missing bands, screws,  ect...  Working on my Grandfather's deer rifle too..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Boyd's still make them? Last time I was on their website it didn't look like they offered them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't help but wonder how rare mine with the barrel band really is.

I know that there were a shitload of them, but I haven't seen many in current times with the band like mine.

Plus the Danish range card, I haven't seen any of them other than mine that have it.
View Quote

They are rare enough, but I'm fortunate enough to own one:

I don't have a range card on mine, but the Danes did send it to one of their Army arsenals for a new barrel after shooting out the original Eddystone barrel. Built in the US, used in Canada in WWII, and then Denmark during the Cold War, with parts and markings from all three, it has quite a history.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I was in a local funshop looking for an entirely different gun when instead I perused their little rack of "milsurp" rifles.  I saw the dogleg bolt handle and thought that it had to be a 1917 or a P14.  Turned out, it was a '17 that someone had spent a lot of loving attention on turning into a sporter.  The rear sight protector ears were professionally milled off, and a Williams micrometer peep sight was installed.  The barrel had a gold bead on a banded ramp front sight, and the barrel and action were polished and deeply blued.  It's got a nice walnut stock with white-outline buttpad and grip cap, and an ebony forend, and an excellent 2-stage trigger.

$200.

It went home with me. All I've ever had to do to it is replace the ejector.  According to the serial number it was made in 1918.  And it's a SHOOTER.  I've hit clay pigeons in the air with it IN FRONT OF WITNESSES.

Best two bills I've ever spent.

A bit later I found and bought a P14 in factory-fresh trim.  Like that, too, but not as much as the '17.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does Boyd's still make them? Last time I was on their website it didn't look like they offered them anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did as of a year ago.  I called fwiw...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm amazed that anyone has an interest in these rifles.  I picked one up a year ago at a yard sale: all original as near as I can tell and bore in excellent shape.  Kept in a closet (dry in  NM) and probably not shot for 70 years.  Will probably place it in the EE section after shooting it ...........
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm amazed that anyone has an interest in these rifles.  I picked one up a year ago at a yard sale: all original as near as I can tell and bore in excellent shape.  Kept in a closet (dry in  NM) and probably not shot for 70 years.  Will probably place it in the EE section after shooting it ...........
View Quote

Eddystone, Remington, or Winchester?

If it's a Remington or Winchester I might be interested in it
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#30]
tried out the '17 today

at 50yds using 150gr Federal soft points I put three rounds inside 1in. Using the rear sight at this range the rifle shoots two inches high and three inches right

group wise though I'm impressed with it
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
tried out the '17 today

at 50yds using 150gr Federal soft points I put three rounds inside 1in. Using the rear sight at this range the rifle shoots two inches high and three inches right

View Quote

You need one of these. Brit made for the P-14 but works fine for the M1917.

It's always nice having the proper tool for the job.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
tried out the '17 today

View Quote

Looks like you have a good rifle!

M1917 is a great rifle. Very heavy, and an odd bolt handle, but a solid and well made rifle. I have an original example, sadly in pretty rough shape, but I liked to shoot it up when surplus '06 was cheap a few decades ago.

I also picked up a Winchester model that was very carefully sporterized years ago, with great bluing and fajen stock. It is scoped, and though still fairly heavy, is as solid and reliable a rifle as one could ever expect to use. It has the original barrel, but turned down to lighten it, and shoots ball grade ammo into decent groups.

When I handle these finely crafted rifles, I can't help but think less of my more modern and crudely made sporter rifles, even if the newer rifle prints a better group. It just feels like junk compared to the M1917.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/mkdmv8.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

tried out the '17 today

http://oi59.tinypic.com/mkdmv8.jpg

Do you happen to know if AK front sight adjustment tools with fit a P-14/M-1917?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand that you can stuff damn near anything short of a 20mm in a M1917 action.

Sometimes big and heavy isn't really a problem...more of a feature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have one in .460 Wby Mag..

Yeah, I understand that you can stuff damn near anything short of a 20mm in a M1917 action.

No, Some of the 1917 Enfields made by the Eddystone Arsenal had a bad heat treat on the receiver, just like the early 1903 Springfield and RIA.

Winchester or Remington manufactured 1917are OK.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, Some of the 1917 Enfields made by the Eddystone Arsenal had a bad heat treat on the receiver, just like the early 1903 Springfield and RIA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it was a bad heat treat so much as the barrels being installed improperly at the factory.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-it's good to see the right information getting out there, too many people mix it up with the early 1903 problems!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Misinformation, Eddystone was run by Remington in the old Baldwin locomotive plant. The barrels were installed with pneumatic drills used for locomotives, so they are on very tight. When being re-barrelled, if a relief cut wasn't put on the barrel, they could crack the receiver. The Nickel Steel for all the receivers was from Midvale steel (think Taylor father of scientific management), it's some of the best steel from the time. The P14 is stamped REM (Remington, Eddystone, Manufacturing) due to the contract with the British. For making the Model 1917, they changed the tooling and standardized the parts even more. Please don't spread the misinformation unless you know what you are talking about. Read about the 1917 in Phillip Sharpes book The Rifle in America, then research the relationship with Midvale steel and Balwin Locomotive plant (located in Eddystone, PA).
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't think it was a bad heat treat so much as the barrels being installed improperly at the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reply as my other one, but it's important for the right information to get out.
Misinformation, Eddystone was run by Remington in the old Baldwin locomotive plant. The barrels were installed with pneumatic drills used for locomotives, so they are on very tight. When being re-barrelled, if a relief cut wasn't put on the barrel, they could crack the receiver. The Nickel Steel for all the receivers was from Midvale steel (think Taylor father of scientific management), it's some of the best steel from the time. The P14 is stamped REM (Remington, Eddystone, Manufacturing) due to the contract with the British. For making the Model 1917, they changed the tooling and standardized the parts even more. Please don't spread the misinformation unless you know what you are talking about. Read about the 1917 in Phillip Sharpes book The Rifle in America, then research the relationship with Midvale steel and Balwin Locomotive plant (located in Eddystone, PA).
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same reply as my other one, but it's important for the right information to get out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't "barrels installed with pneumatic drills used for locomotives" count as "installed improperly"?

ETA: My Eddystone has its original barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Probably will be the longest Western bolt rifle in active duty service with a NATO country.

Its a tank of a rifle, accurate as a 1903, and much more durable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I am eagerly waiting for my Remington to return from having a new criterion barrel installed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#43]
So, for everyone reading this thread who thinks they now want an M1917 - you should check out gunbroker. There are quite a few '17s on there. The original ones are getting up there in price, but for those that want one for a supremely strong and reliable sporter, there are bubba models on there in the $200-$300 range. They already lost their collector value, but are still as solid an action as ever, and I think they make a fine rifle.

At that price, it may already be drilled and tapped, or you may have to get that work done, but you are still starting with a super strong and smooth action. The cost to rebarrel is nearly the same as any other rifle. It is a coned breech and needs an extractor cut, but that is not a problem for an experienced smith. About the only negative is they have a slightly longer locktime than a modern action.

Sometimes you'll even find one that is already tastefully sportered by some long gone gunsmith. The examples nicely milled to take a scope, and straighten out the bottom metal look particularly nice to me.

Even if you just got a '17 for the receiver and bolt alone, a modern action built as well would probably cost close to a grand. You're getting an all machined steel action so overbuilt it isn't funny.

Uh oh...... I just talked myself into another project. Well, you just can't argue with an M1917 and 30-06. It's a do-anything rifle and caliber.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top