Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/6/2014 4:22:31 AM EDT
Damn, wonder what actually hit it.  

I seriously doubt anybody survived if they were still in there.  

The photo is from a British book about the battle for Kasserine Pass.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
A mine probably.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Catastrophic ammunition detonation will do that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A mine probably.
View Quote

That's most likely.  A rather large one at that.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A mine probably.

A Teller mine? Weren't those the big huge anti tank mines?  Yeah, set off the ammunition storage, with probably some HE in there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
missed the moose crossing sign?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Got derped by a KV-2.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got derped by a KV-2.
View Quote

LOL.  I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got derped by a KV-2.

What he did, I saw it.

Lulz
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Willkommen Minen!

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I blame poor quality control and a rush to production with cheap welds.

kidding.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that a welded corner joint along the sides or cold-rolled?

Is the thicker frontal plate riveted on?

thoughts?

just found one variant was cast and the remaining welded.  that photo is symmetrically split opened along the welded seam.
like someone mentioned, hopefully the crew was able to get out before or died instantly.  God Bless!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]
the only good thing there is those poor bastards never knew what hit them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I am thinking they struck the ammo storage or engine went up after being hit. Mine could have done that too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
That takes one hell of a boom to open that thing up like a can like that.  It peeled the armor plates at the weld just like they were a zip lock bag!  The gear box and transmission is pulled away and separated from the hull.  If there was a crew in there when it went up there isn't much left of them.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
From the hole by the radio operators hatch, looks like an 88.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am thinking they struck the ammo storage or engine went up after being hit. Mine could have done that too.
View Quote

Engine/fuel doesn't contain enough energy to eject the turret and peel the hull open like a babnana. Only thing that would do that would be ammo propellant (lots of it) or a pretty fair amount of HE.

Here's an example of a tank getting hit and having the stow ammo catch fire. The burn is too slow on this one to even pop the turret off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUa_AWa-90

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A mine probably.
View Quote

Ahh, the burden of the ass-hauling Finnish infantryman, the 10 kg track mine (TM 65 77). Contains 9,5 kg of TNT, enough to blow the tracks of a modern MBT or seriously deconstruct a tiny thing like the Sherman. A devious sapper can make it a double-whammy by planting a separate box (usually 20 kg) of TNT beneath it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
there's a hole above the front MG mount, just below the radio operators hatch. Is that a entry hole from an 88?

edit: beat to it
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg</a>  
View Quote

Seriously doubt?.  Surviving that isn't a consideration.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#20]
.50 on the turret still looks good...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
My first wife's Dad was the only survivor of his tank crew in North Africa.He spent 27 months as a POW in Germany.
I THINK his tank was an M3 ......but I don't remember for sure.He rarely said anything about it.
He was one of the toughest guys I've ever known.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What he did, I saw it.

Lulz
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got derped by a KV-2.

What he did, I saw it.

Lulz

Nerds!

TRG
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg</a>  

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone farted...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Never seen an image of a Sherman with its armor peeled away.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got derped by a KV-2.
View Quote

Fucking arty.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A Teller mine? Weren't those the big huge anti tank mines?  Yeah, set off the ammunition storage, with probably some HE in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A mine probably.

Don't know if it was the tellermine in particular, but those old German AT mines are pure gold for the demineurs today.  When they dispose of old ordnance, chemical shells in particular, the AT mines go on the pile last and ensure a nice big boom that the French consider effective for the total destruction of the chemicals involved.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#29]
P38 or P51
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Someone farted...
View Quote

And the obligatory useless post.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Is it wrong that all I want to do is run in there and snag that M2 on the turret?  

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#33]
JagdTiger

StuG Sturmgeschutz-IV

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Got derped by a KV-2.
View Quote
Why would a Russian tank be shooting an M4?

ETA nvm, forgot about WoT
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like the radio operator 30 cal was removed. Maybe demo charges after abandonment?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like the radio operator 30 cal was removed. Maybe demo charges after abandonment?
View Quote

Why leave the turret MG?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
P38 or P51
View Quote

I think that went over most of their heads.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#38]
If it was a mine why would it blow out the back of the tank? The front and tracks are mostly intact so it doesn't suggest a pressure or magnetic mine; the damage is too symmetrical.

I'd bet on an armor penetration or intentional demolition in place of the tank.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#39]

What killed those?

With the JadgTiger I imagine it was scuttled.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What killed those?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What killed those?

M36 for both, from the 776th TD Btn. The JT specifically was shot in the side at 800yds, setting off the ammo.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P38 or P51

Not hardly. Just not worthy of a response.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why leave the turret MG?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why leave the turret MG?

You've never carried a M2HB have you?

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
missed the moose crossing sign?
View Quote

their not Swedish..
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#44]
All above destroyed by hyperkinetic rail gun rounds.  Like so many "modern" weapons and other technology, these were developed and proven out in WWII but kept secret.  Only later were they re-invented by non-Govt entities who made them public.  Night vision equipment is another example.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Jagdpanzer IV, the Stug's replacment. The eight lower road wheels are the giveaway.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I remember reading a story about that battle that the Germans were using their long-range artillery like civil-war canon, meaning they were shooting at things with a level barrel.  I forget which artillery and which story, though.  Might explain what hit the Sherman, though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#47]

-An report conducted by the 21st Army Group, ETO, examined the cause of damage of some 333 tanks (Shermans, Crommwells, Fireflys, Comets, Stuarts and Challengers). Damage was defined as: (abbreviated) the tank of concern could no longer participate in the action at hand (so damage really includes out right kills, mobility kills, and other assorted mechanical damage). The following causes and associated percentage for each cause included: AP Shot 41%, Shaped Charge 35%, Anti-Tank Mine 21%, HE Shell 3%.

- Richard C. Anderson, Jr. for T.N. Depuy Journal, " Artillery Effectiveness versus Armor".

The TDI search found that an average of 12.8 percent of tank and other armored vehicle losses' were due to artillery fire in seven cases in World War II where the cause of loss could be reliably identified. The highest percent loss due to artillery was found to be 14.8 percent in the case of the Soviet 1st Tank Army at Kursk (Table II), The lowest percent loss due to artillery was found to be 5.9 percent in the case of Dom Butgenbach (Table VIII).

The largest identifiable cause of tank loss found in the data was, predictably, high-velocity armor piercing antitank rounds. AP rounds were found to be the cause of 68.7 percent of all losses. Artillery was second, responsible for 12.8 percent of all losses. Air attack as a cause was third, accounting for 7.4 percent of the total lost. Unknown causes, which included losses due to hits from multiple weapon types as well as unidentified weapons inflicted 6.3% of the losses and ranked fourth. Other causes, which included infantry antitank weapons and mines, were responsible for 4.80% of the losses and ranked fifth.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

-An report conducted by the 21st Army Group, ETO, examined the cause of damage of some 333 tanks (Shermans, Crommwells, Fireflys, Comets, Stuarts and Challengers). Damage was defined as: (abbreviated) the tank of concern could no longer participate in the action at hand (so damage really includes out right kills, mobility kills, and other assorted mechanical damage). The following causes and associated percentage for each cause included: AP Shot 41%, Shaped Charge 35%, Anti-Tank Mine 21%, HE Shell 3%.

- Richard C. Anderson, Jr. for T.N. Depuy Journal, " Artillery Effectiveness versus Armor".

The TDI search found that an average of 12.8 percent of tank and other armored vehicle losses' were due to artillery fire in seven cases in World War II where the cause of loss could be reliably identified. The highest percent loss due to artillery was found to be 14.8 percent in the case of the Soviet 1st Tank Army at Kursk (Table II), The lowest percent loss due to artillery was found to be 5.9 percent in the case of Dom Butgenbach (Table VIII).

The largest identifiable cause of tank loss found in the data was, predictably, high-velocity armor piercing antitank rounds. AP rounds were found to be the cause of 68.7 percent of all losses. Artillery was second, responsible for 12.8 percent of all losses. Air attack as a cause was third, accounting for 7.4 percent of the total lost. Unknown causes, which included losses due to hits from multiple weapon types as well as unidentified weapons inflicted 6.3% of the losses and ranked fourth. Other causes, which included infantry antitank weapons and mines, were responsible for 4.80% of the losses and ranked fifth.

View Quote

Good info.  I'm surprised there weren't more panzerfaust kills.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Jagdpanzer IV, the Stug's replacment. The eight lower road wheels are the giveaway.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/german/jll70/Image415.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/german/jll70/Image415.jpg

While it's not a Stu(III)G, the one in the picture I posted is a Stu-IV, not a JgPzIV. It has a muzzle brake and the 'wings' on each side of the mantlet.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad was in the PI in WWII, he saw a Sherman roll over an improvised tank mine, that was a 55 gal drum of explosives or a depth charge I forget which one. The tank disappeard for a second and then rained down in pieces.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top