Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Our shop lights have been on for 5 years straight. Owner says it’s cheaper than hiring security
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly.  Idiots. Just flip the main breaker each night.

And I am a plumber!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guarantee there is a breaker or three that would shut the whole thing down and still leave other items on.

Exactly.  Idiots. Just flip the main breaker each night.

And I am a plumber!

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s MA, they’ll call a SWAT team if a non-IBEW member replaces a light fixture, let alone mess with a breaker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
There's NO WAY this is at all accurate, except for it costing taxpayers a fortune & officials feigning concern, but not caring enough to actually fix it. I'm going to bet the install is out of warranty, the original vendor quoted them a price for a programmer to address it, and they balked or argued it should be fixed for free.

<= Crestron/Extron integrator at a university, in a former life.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If the adults are that stupid just imagine bright their fuckin students are

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Building automation is such a shitshow.    Causes more problems than it solves
View Quote

Exactly!

I always wanted to automate my home since I read about it in Popular Science back in the 70s, but then I worked for a company that installed it in high-end homes in the mid 2000s.

Screw that!

Between the Lutron, AMX, and half a dozen other companies' equipment, that crap had to be rebooted multiple times a day and had to have multiple patch updates every week, and that was before everything connected to the internet and spied on you.

Now, I won't allow any of that crap in my house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This requires a MASSIVE explanation.
View Quote
No it doesn't.

There is no way the NEC allows software to be the only isolation device in a circuit.  Software is just code, it still has mechanical switches somewhere and breakers upstream of that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
“We are very much aware this is costing taxpayers a significant amount of money, butt fuck them” Aaron Osborne,
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So....turn them off at THE FUCKING BREAKER PANEL??????
View Quote

Dave, this is highly irregular…
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a great story
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Massholes are incredibly stupid
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Freshman year votech plumbers could shut that shit down.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the adults are that stupid just imagine bright their fuckin students are

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/fee7122deef6b8e964ebc3fa6abeb1de
View Quote

In my building 60% gets you B. A fucking ABOVE AVERAGE PASSING GRADE!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No it doesn't.

There is no way the NEC allows software to be the only isolation device in a circuit.  Software is just code, it still has mechanical switches somewhere and breakers upstream of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This requires a MASSIVE explanation.
No it doesn't.

That was my point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which begs another question...in the event of fire/flood similar emergency, wouldn't the main electrical (or at the very least the lights) need a main "OFF?"

View Quote

Looks like this:
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You do know there IS no breaker panel?

The software takes the place of that.

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

You do realize that the PLC running the "software" still needs power to operate, don't you?

How do you suppose it gets power if it's not connected to a breaker panel somewhere?

Unless they're stealing power from their neighbor, or somehow tapped directly into the power grid like the supervillains do in the movies, there's a breaker or disconnect somewhere upstream. It may have more than just the PLC on it, so shutting it off might cause other issues, but rest assured that there IS a way to shut off and lock out the incoming power.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was my point.
View Quote
Sorry, I was trying hard not to call it complete horseshit.

I didn't mean to be a dick about it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You do realize that the PLC running the "software" still needs power to operate, don't you?

How do you suppose it gets power if it's not connected to a breaker panel somewhere?

Unless they're stealing power from their neighbor, or somehow tapped directly into the power grid like the supervillains do in the movies, there's a breaker or disconnect somewhere upstream. It may have more than just the PLC on it, so shutting it off might cause other issues, but rest assured that there IS a way to shut off and lock out the incoming power.
View Quote
Lighting is such a large draw I can't imagine it shares breakers with other devices. But who knows.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#20]
When you have a superintendent of finance you have already failed as a district.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
These people educate kids
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
If that's how they run the facility, imagine the quality of graduate being shat out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
That's a nice looking school, my schools were all shit holes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote
The National Electric Code was developed to protect people from fires.  I am pretty sure the NEC covers schools, which contain people, many of whom are children.  Circuit breakers are required to protect circuits from excessive current loads which can result in fires.  Light switches, including automated light switches may operate lights automatically or manually, but circuits still need to be protected by breakers.  I find it hard to believe that you couldn't kill the majority of lights by turning off breakers.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

That's an interesting breaker.

You only have to push the button to cut power?

How loud of a pop is it when you push the button?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I know the feeling

I have kitchen LED lights that shine on the cathedral ceiling that change color based on the weather.

Its crazy
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know the feeling

I have kitchen lED lights that shine on the cathedral ceiling that change color based on the weather.

Its crazy
View Quote

You must REALLY hate midnight snackers if you have IED’s in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lighting is such a large draw I can't imagine it shares breakers with other devices. But who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was talking about software, so I was thinking more about the PLC than the actual lights. I would guess that there's a smaller sub-panel somewhere for the control components, but I'm not an electrician, so this is all just an uneducated guess.

Now I'm curious how the software does control the lights.

I do know that everything has a breaker or disconnect, though. If it didn't, I'd feel bad for the guy who had to install it while hot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote
Bullshit. AC power for the system comes from somewhere, and that somewhere would be a panel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the feeling

I have kitchen lED lights that shine on the cathedral ceiling that change color based on the weather.

Its crazy

you cant be too careful with the price of food these days, though I do keep the eggs in the gun safes
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Smart people. Much pedigree, very doing all we can to get a lightbulb turned off. Still get paid tho
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Third world shit hole.

At least the last condition was on less the children be stuck in the dark.

I know a guy that could have that thing running in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#34]
New idea:

Give the kids some pellet rifles every Friday, and install new bulbs every Monday.

That should help save money, right?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He was talking about software, so I was thinking more about the PLC than the actual lights. I would guess that there's a smaller sub-panel somewhere for the control components, but I'm not an electrician, so this is all just an uneducated guess.

I do know that everything has a breaker or disconnect, though. If it didn't, I'd feel bad for the guy who had to install it while hot.
View Quote
PLCs are either 24v or 120v.  They can run magnetic contactors that switch whatever voltage the lighting runs on.  But there are still breakers for the actual lighting circuits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#36]
That's wicked stupid.

But at least gas stoves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's an interesting breaker.

You only have to push the button to cut power?

How loud of a pop is it when you push the button?
View Quote

No idea, never had to do it! I know some serious safety precautions need to be taken when ypu turn it back on! Bunch of leather gear, huge breaker bar to counteract the spring weight....
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
PLCs are either 24v or 120v.  They can run magnetic contactors that switch whatever voltage the lighting runs on.  But there are still breakers for the actual lighting circuits.
View Quote

Our lights are 277v, no idea about the school in the article.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The National Electric Code was developed to protect people from fires.  I am pretty sure the NEC covers schools, which contain people, many of whom are children.  Circuit breakers are required to protect circuits from excessive current loads which can result in fires.  Light switches, including automated light switches may operate lights automatically or manually, but circuits still need to be protected by breakers.  I find it hard to believe that you couldn't kill the majority of lights by turning off breakers.

View Quote

Being Massachusetts I'm going to guess the emergency system is generator backed. This might complicate things depending how that shitshow is wired.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#40]
A ten year old automation system isn't all that old.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's not THAT simple.

View Quote

Hopefully this was sarcasm, because there's still a break for the lights and the computer interface
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#42]
We had an hvac system in child development center that had no control over temp. Everything was manual. Took one airman and myself 4 days to fix 20 rooms and 2 airhandling systems. Yes it was and early DDC system.  It can't be hard to fix.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bullshit. AC power for the system comes from somewhere, and that somewhere would be a panel.
View Quote

Somebody had to do it.  Thank you!

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my uneducated layman's understanding of it. The PLC would be in a 24v or 120v sub-panel, motion sensors would go to the PLC inputs, and the PLC outputs would operate relays and contactors for each room's or wing's lights. There would be a circuit breaker or disconnect on both the PLC enclosure and the main panel for the lights themselves, so each panel can be locked out as needed.

LO/TO is serious business.

Am I close, or just making a fool of myself?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
They lost the little key thingy for the PLC box and can't get to the breakers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

OSHA would like to have a word with your Lockout/Tagout program
View Quote

Safety has entered the chat.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#48]
How fucking stupid are these people?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WILBRAHAM, Mass. — For nearly a year and a half, a Massachusetts high school has been lit up around the clock because the district can’t turn off the roughly 7,000 lights in the sprawling building.

The lighting system was installed at Minnechaug Regional High School when it was built over a decade ago and was intended to save money and energy. But ever since the software that runs it failed on Aug. 24, 2021, the lights in the Springfield suburbs school have been on continuously, costing taxpayers a small fortune.

“We are very much aware this is costing taxpayers a significant amount of money,” Aaron Osborne, the assistant superintendent of finance at the Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School District, told NBC News. “And we have been doing everything we can to get this problem solved.”
View Quote

One of the cost-saving measures the school board insisted on was a “green lighting system” run on software installed by a company called 5th Light to control the lights in the building. The system was designed to save energy — and thus save money — by automatically adjusting the lights as needed.
View Quote

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lights-massachusetts-school-year-no-one-can-turn-rcna65611

View Quote
I would bet if the superintendent had to turn the breakers off every night and turn the breakers on every morning the problem would get fix jiffy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In my building 60% gets you B. A fucking ABOVE AVERAGE PASSING GRADE!!!
View Quote

The debate club must be intense

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top