Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/24/2021 6:09:34 PM EDT
From this link: https://gatdaily.com/john-tilt-meyers-macv-sog-loadout/

34 - 20 round magazines loaded 18 to a mag

Sawed off M-79 grenade launcher with 12 rounds. Each team member carried this.

10-12 fragmentation grenades

I assume water and some stripped down C-rats but that’s not stated here.

My God that’s a ton to carry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a book written about how infantry soldiers have been weighed down over decades with WAY too much crap.

Here it is, found the book.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Going where they did, behind enemy lines. I would want all the ammo I could carry. Also you did not add the weight of their big brass balls to the total weight
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Sawed off M-79 grenade launcher with 12 rounds. Each team member carried this."

That was just RT Idaho. Other teams could be different depending on personal choice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was usually plenty of water around so I suspect they mostly carried purification tablets.  Probably just one canteen.  By 1968 high energy protein bars were available for special ops missions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My old neighbor was in a Marine recon unit in Vietnam back when they still had M-14s. I think it was their equivalent of the Army's LRRPs at the time. He told me he carried twenty 20 round magazines for his rifle and another 200 rounds in bandoliers. That is a lot of 7.62 just for himself, never mind the other gear he had to carry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if those were full sized frags or the V40's that were so loved when they were available.

ETA: Sounds like a little bit of everything..
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Sawed off M-79 grenade launcher with 12 rounds. Each team member carried this."

That was just RT Idaho. Other teams could be different depending on personal choice.
View Quote

I’m sure they’re all different with cut down M-60’s in the mix along with AK’s and cut down RPK’s as well as suppressed M-76 SMG’s.

It’s just mind blowing how much shit they carried and I’m sure this doesn’t include judicious numbers of Claymores.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
S.O.G. Prairie Fire

SOG Vets contributed to the game, well worth a look,
the interviews are very enlightening.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a LRRP, some of the old-hand tricks passed down included taping your halazone water purification tablets to the canteen cap strap.  We had 5-quart water bladders.  

You could carry a bunch of Dutch V40 mini-frags in a canteen cover.

These were B-52 patrol tips:

B-52 Patrolling Tips
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Going where they did, behind enemy lines. I would want all the ammo I could carry. Also you did not add the weight of their big brass balls to the total weight
View Quote

This.  No close air support or artillery to cover your ass.  BYOB- bring your own booms.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Loudly inserted themselves into places where they’d be outnumbered 20 to 1 or more. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Jocko interviewing Tilt is def worth a listen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the SOG episodes are great.

Tilt’s spin-off- Sogcast, is pretty good too.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All the SOG episodes are great.

Tilt's spin-off- Sogcast, is pretty good too.

View Quote
Which others are SOG related?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Jocko Podcast 180 w/ John Stryker Meyer: Covert Lessons from "Across The Fence."
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which others are SOG related?
View Quote

I can’t remember the episode numbers, but he’s got some with LeTourneau “Frenchman”, Dick Thompson, and a Kingbee pilot.

Google Jocko SOG episodes and they’ll be easy to track down.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just learned my FIL was MACV. Had no idea.  Trying to learn more now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can’t remember the episode numbers, but he’s got some with LeTourneau “Frenchman”, Dick Thompson, and a Kingbee pilot.

Google Jocko SOG episodes and they’ll be easy to track down.

View Quote

I'm working my way through Jocko Podcast. and I just got through the "mini-series" with Tilt and the Frenchman.
There's a fairly recent one with Cowboy too.
Jocko Podcast 258 w S.Vietnamese SOG Warrior, Khanh Doan: Impossible Missions w/ John Stryker Meyer

They put the names of the guest in the title so searching for tilt, frenchman and cowboy ought to turn up most or all of them.
They're available on youtube or wherever you get podcasts.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Listening to WTF with tilt on jockos podcast today.  

Unimaginable.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this the crew that used both end chopped RPDs too?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is this the crew that used both end chopped RPDs too?
View Quote

One of the guys on the Sogcast touched on this.  He carried one sometimes.

He also carried a double barrel sawed off shotgun in case anyone interrupted his reloads.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There was a book written about how infantry soldiers have been weighed down over decades with WAY too much crap.

View Quote

That may be but what he's talking about in the original post is mostly ordinance and some of those SOG guys absolutely needed that.

They were behind enemy lines on their own in very small groups.

I don't see a whole lot of choice. That list doesn't have the Claymores they'd carry to set up at night either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was a LRRP, some of the old-hand tricks passed down included taping your halazone water purification tablets to the canteen cap strap.  We had 5-quart water bladders.  

You could carry a bunch of Dutch V40 mini-frags in a canteen cover.

These were B-52 patrol tips:

B-52 Patrolling Tips
View Quote

Toe poppers as well ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just learned my FIL was MACV. Had no idea.  Trying to learn more now.
View Quote

Not everyone attached to MACV was SOG or high-speed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also have a look here ‘

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2018/07/what-soldiers-carried-to-battlefield.html
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
S.O.G. Prairie Fire

SOG Vets contributed to the game, well worth a look,
the interviews are very enlightening.

View Quote
Prairie Fire is an absolute treasure the AI hunter-tracker VC teams are fucking surreal.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My old neighbor was in a Marine recon unit in Vietnam back when they still had M-14s. I think it was their equivalent of the Army's LRRPs at the time. He told me he carried twenty 20 round magazines for his rifle and another 200 rounds in bandoliers. That is a lot of 7.62 just for himself, never mind the other gear he had to carry.
View Quote

That’s about 40 pounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Toe poppers as well ?
View Quote
Had two second lieutenant friends in the Ammo Handling Area doing an inventory (2nd Infantry Division DMZ battalion in Korea).  One asked the other if those things (plastic M14 Anti-Personnel Mine) are real, and how sensitive the fuses are.

No kidding, one removes the safety clip, turns the head to arm, and throws it down on to the black top.

Boom.

One walked back into the orderly room peppered and blackened, his fatigues smoking, looking like Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon.  Birth control glasses protected his eyes, but he couldn't hear for a couple of hours.

He eventually made full Colonel.  I don't know what happened to the thrower.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beat me to it.  Absolutely awesome.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat, great information there.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I really need to get more 20's and a XM177E2 FH for my 11.5" A1.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
read:

John Stryker Meyer

John Plaster

Lynn Black
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There was usually plenty of water around so I suspect they mostly carried purification tablets.  Probably just one canteen.  By 1968 high energy protein bars were available for special ops missions.
View Quote

They’d carry quite a few canteens, some on the pack and some on the body.   The tablets took about 30 minutes plus to work on the water, so you’d have to mange your water carefully.

While there is always water in the jungle, there isn’t always enough when your are talking multiple guys and it’s not always easily accessible, especially when you have a mission that takes priority.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. My dad was a radio operator attached to MACV, but not SOG on his first tour.  Humped a lot of boonies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MACV was a pretty large organization. SoG nor so much. Pops was MACV and IV corps but never SOG
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
No c-rats, if the jocko podcasts with some of the macvsog guys is to be believed. If you ate american food your feces smelled different and the opfor could tell. Rice and other local foods was apparently used for that reason.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#43]
you guys know there is a podcast  where Meyer talks to various SOG vets and support units dont you ?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sogcast-untold-stories-of-mac-v-sog/id1572904295
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#44]
The SOG dudes were badass for sure. However, I'd rather be in a SOG unit, LRRP Team etc in Vietnam than a normal grunt with no noise discipline or anything. Nice fat target for old Uncle Charlie. Pretty much goes the same for today. Sure you are behind enemy lines, but best part is they might think you are there, but they don't really have a good idea of where that is. I remember reading a book were the author pretty much stated as much, and is why he went special operations.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What other information did you want? A list of all the MOSs of people who wore the MACV patch? If so that's gonna be a long and boring list.

Guy said he discovered his FIL was MACV in a MACV-SOG thread, so I was just commenting that one didn't automatically equal the other.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The SOG dudes were badass for sure. However, I'd rather be in a SOG unit, LRRP Team etc in Vietnam than a normal grunt with no noise discipline or anything. Nice fat target for old Uncle Charlie. Pretty much goes the same for today. Sure you are behind enemy lines, but best part is they might think you are there, but they don't really have a good idea of where that is. I remember reading a book were the author pretty much stated as much, and is why he went special operations.
View Quote

That sounds cool until you crunch the numbers.  Then it doesnt.

Firstly, the idea that "normal grunt units" had no noise discipline is a bit much.  There were some very good ones and some not so good ones.

That being said, MACV-SOG had the highest kill ratio as well as a casualty rate around 100%.  You were more likely to be a casualty there then most US line infantry units where it was probably more like 60%. The proficiency, training and leadership isnt up for question, but the hazardous nature of what they were doing is something else again.

Being a normal grunt in WWII on D-Day probably guaranteed you a 300% casualty rate.  There were elite airborne units that had far lower casualty rates then the line units.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#47]
First episode of sogcast guy tilts guest was talking about possibly having 100# of gear for a bright light mission.

Across the fence is a fantastic book
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That sounds cool until you crunch the numbers.  Then it doesnt.

Firstly, the idea that "normal grunt units" had no noise discipline is a bit much.  There were some very good ones and some not so good ones.

That being said, MACV-SOG had the highest kill ratio as well as a casualty rate >100%.  You were more likely to be a casualty there then most US line infantry units where it was probably more like 50/50. The proficiency, training and leadership isnt up for uestion, but the hazardous nature of what they were doing is something else again.

View Quote

True, but I'd still take my chances. At least you knew what you were getting into, versus being told to "take the hill" for the 10th time that day.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#49]
To blend in with the local smells they would have cooked rice stuffed in socks, eating what the locals ate

No C rations allowed
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top