Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2022 2:50:08 PM EDT
French President Emmanuel Macron called Thursday for a "renaissance" for the country's nuclear industry, saying he wanted up to 14 new reactors to power the country's transition away from fossil fuels.

Acknowledging that France had hesitated on whether to continue investing in its atomic sector after the 2011 Fukushima disaster in Japan, he called for a bold new bet on the technology alongside renewables.

"We are going towards an electrification of all our tasks, our way of manufacturing, of moving around," Macron said in a speech at a turbine plant in eastern France, just two months ahead of presidential elections.

"We are going to need to produce a lot more electricity," he said.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220210-macron-calls-for-14-new-reactors-in-nuclear-renaissance
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
French don't dick around when it comes to nukes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are making 14, we should be making at least 20.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They see how fucked germany is, and wants in on the profits. Good for the frogs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
For once I agree with him…
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The EuroGreenies are going to have a field day protesting this haha
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Freedom Reactors?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably never happen I doubt we will ever build another plant/reactor.  No one is truly serious about green energy except maybe the French now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They see how fucked germany is, and wants in on the profits. Good for the frogs.
View Quote

Yep, get a BUNCH of that sweet German cash.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
good!!!

I am glad to see the French understand how important and great nuke energy is.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the few countries that does nuclear right including recycling spent rods…
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Probably never happen I doubt we will ever build another plant/reactor.  No one is truly serious about green energy except maybe the French now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the public actually knew what nuclear waste looked like, that would help tremendously.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
French have always been big proponents of nuclear power, on both sides of the political spectrum.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are on the right track but I think we need more. Unfortunately, our brilliant leaders want to rely on the sun and wind. They are reducing the number of reactors. Having a good reliable source of electricity is over rated. Heck, we got along without electricity for centuries we can do it again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the few countries that does nuclear right including recycling spent rods…
View Quote

spend rods won't even be an issue in the future when you can safely yeet them into space
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Every now and then Macron shows some common sense and understands the reality.  And then he goes and bends his knee for Putin...
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#17]
We were building a new site here in South Carolina, but it turned out to be a fraudulent clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Good for the French. Have to power those electric cars somehow...
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
France is going to power Europe and leverage it against Germany.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
France is going to power Europe and leverage it against Germany.
View Quote
Wait I read about this before.... ??
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Good for him, and for France.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

HE is just saying this because Zemmour is saying this for weeks and it’s a loosing issue for him to keep pushing for « greener energies »
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

They also don't shy away from calling out wokeness as an intellectual disease corrosive to the undergirdings of civilization, while the Anglophone world kowtows. Pains me to say it, but based Frogs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
good
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha ha no.

Our resident nuclear industry workers will probably be in here soon to explain how cheap natural gas prices effectively torpedo nuclear reactor construction. But more than that, they have been working on a new reactor in Vogle Georgia for years now and after massive screw ups and cost overruns, it might come online someday. But I'm not optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Good
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

spend rods won't even be an issue in the future when you can safely yeet them into space
View Quote

there's zero need to yeet them anywhere. if we were allowed to reprocess them, the entire waste we have would fit in a single semi-trailer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Instead installing EV chagers the infrastructure bill should've built nuclear reactors
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#29]
They have been coming around to nukes, surprisingly. I even came across a teen "nuclear power influencer" on youtube once. Was weird.

Even last year TIME did a "A New Generation of Nuclear Reactors Could Hold the Key to a Green Future".

We will see more of this shift to "green nuclear" in the coming years. As the reality that farts and unicorns don't make enough power, is hitting these people in the face.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or hippie protestors protesting nukes ....

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#31]
On this particular point the French are correct and forward-thinking. We here need to get over ourselves and build a shitton of new tech reactors. Then the push to  “green energy” would make a little more sense; including electric cars.

We also need to badly transform our electrical grid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#32]
That's what we should be doing, but the green energy/tech and Dem racket has everyone convinced that nuclear is dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#33]
He probably walked away from that Putin meeting with his butthole puckered up tighter than a snare drum...
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remeber seeimg a video of a French nuclear test where the then-prime minister, or whatever the lead title was at the time, was dubbed over the test footage basically stating "we will NOT allow ourselves to be WEAK in this regard!!!!" It was kinda funny.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
In before Kirk Sorenson.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Where is France's Yucca Mountain?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Meanwhile, back to clown world...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Good for them. They've consistently been one of the best nations when it came to nukes.

Their last push to take them offline was stupid, I'm glad at least they have found the error or their ways. I wish we would be the same.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#39]
After pootin says he'll use nukes? Spicy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nuclear waste shouldn't even exist. It's a product of poorly engineered reactors and the government wanting it to exist.

Property engineered reactors can use the fuel till it almost turns to lead. But if there was almost no waste, then who would be to blame?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#41]
It will be needed to stabilize Europe's energy needs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck nukes
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Build reactors.
Sell energy to Germany.
Profit.
Give Germany pause before they invade again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I've always said if people were really serious about reducing carbon emissions they would adopt nuclear on a large scale.

Not as cheap as natural gas but there is a chance that could improve with economy of scale.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

there's zero need to yeet them anywhere. if we were allowed to reprocess them, the entire waste we have would fit in a single semi-trailer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The waste from the gloves. glove boxes and other ppe will fill up a semi truck from what I saw at one of our labs.  I'm not anti-nuke...just want to be honest when it comes to weighing options.  The WIP facility is massive and the cleaning process is very expensive from what I could tell.   Then again the .gov doesn't care about costs so it is possible to do it better.

I wish we could openly discuss the process for the sources, but the best way is to buy them suckers from the french and dispose of the waist as you said.  The new pit project is a undertaking of post WW2 magnitude, 24/7 so to speak.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Every now and then Macron shows some common sense and understands the reality.  And then he goes and bends his knee for Putin...
View Quote
This is exactly opposite of bending his knee for Putin.  Putin doesn't want an EU powered by nuclear power.

This is good, I'm happy for the French.  

How many reactors could we build with Biden's $2 Trillion?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

could use spent fuel as thermoelectric generators for space craft
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ha ha no.

Our resident nuclear industry workers will probably be in here soon to explain how cheap natural gas prices effectively torpedo nuclear reactor construction. But more than that, they have been working on a new reactor in Vogle Georgia for years now and after massive screw ups and cost overruns, it might come online someday. But I'm not optimistic.
View Quote

natural gas crushes nuke on price and is a damn lot better than coal for greenies.
There are a few companies working on small modular reactors I think that's where the nuke industry is headed but there is just too much red tape to get costs low enough
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Good.  More countries need to do the same.  Europe cannot be dependent on Russia for its energy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's what we should be doing, but the green energy/tech and Dem racket has everyone convinced that nuclear is dangerous.
View Quote

if the powers that be wanted they could get the media in on nuke good for a couple weeks and get tons of em approved
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top