Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a little doubtful about the claims of 20 year/ 100,000 hour lifespan of the LED bulbs.  Some of the proponents make claims that seem....extreme.  

I picked up a few LED bulbs of differing types and started using them to replace the incandescent bulbs as they go out.  The electricity usage and cost savings seem to make the LEDs a viable option, we'll see how long they last.  The packages indicate an expected lifespan of 20,000 or 30,000 hours.  If I get two years out of them, that will make them very cost effective.

I wouldn't bank on 20 years.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I want to switch our barn lighting over to LED.  May have to try a few of these 100-watt versions to see if the output will work.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen patent docs for a candelabra from them. I hope they get that out soon, the chandelier and hallway sconces are the last old-bulb fixtures I have left. Everyone else's LEDs suck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a little doubtful about the claims of 20 year/ 100,000 hour lifespan of the LED bulbs.  Some of the proponents make claims that seem....extreme.  

I picked up a few LED bulbs of differing types and started using them to replace the incandescent bulbs as they go out.  The electricity usage and cost savings seem to make the LEDs a viable option, we'll see how long they last.  The packages indicate an expected lifespan of 20,000 or 30,000 hours.  If I get two years out of them, that will make them very cost effective.

View Quote

Sounds like your area has old/bad transformers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
my bathroom had a fixture with 12...yes 12 75 watt bulbs, I replaced them with 4 watt LEDs, same light, less electric
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a big fan of LED, but hate the federal government for telling me what to do.  FBHO and all the rest of the tyrants running this place.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not saying I've had short bulb life.  I saying that the claims seem optimistic.  I'm beginning to test them.   If the lifespan claims prove to be overly optimistic, I can still see significant cost savings in about two years, three would be better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

LEDs have been around for a long time. We have decades of prior knowledge to reference. The science is very solid. The two modifiers that can affect that life expectancy are buying the cheapest improperly designed Chinese models or having dirty power. If you live near an industrial area where they run big electric motors you probably want to hold off until LED bulbs become a little more robust.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Jesus H. Christ!  Page 2 on General Discussion on a fed. mandated issue and not one Fuck Obama yet?

FUCK OBAMA!

Now that's out of the way, the LED's have been a God send around my house. It seems I was replacing old bulbs about once a month in some of my light fixtures.  I first experimented with LED's in these areas and have not replaced them in probably 2 years now!  And less heat upstairs.  
Just the other day the wife was painting the kids bathroom and the heat from the fixtures over the sink was unbearable to work in the small area. All from the 6 incandescent bulbs.
A quick trip to Lowes and now the difference in heat in that area is unreal.  And considering the kids absentmindedly leave the lights on all the time, I'm going to be saving on light burning electricity, and the cooling system overcoming the heat also.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.
View Quote

One bulb to find them.
One bulb to bind them.
One bulb to bring them together,
And in the darkness blind them.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 750 watts of LED over my reef

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Source

:Twelve months after getting into the consumer LED game with their highly popular 60-watt replacement and just a few months after the release of a 75-watt replacement, the team at Cree is expanding its line of LEDs yet again, this time with a 100-watt replacement. The new bulb claims a light output of 1,600 lumens at an energy cost of just 18 watts, and will sell at Home Depot for $19.97. In addition, Cree is announcing price cuts on almost every bulb that it sells, including the 60-watt TW Series LED, which will now retail for $15.97, down from $19.97."

"Aside from the extra bulk, the majority of the bulb's stats line up with Cree's other LEDs. Like the other baseline bulbs in Cree's lineup, the 100-watt replacement glows at a "soft white" color temperature of 2,700 K. For a dollar more, you can get a "daylight" version that glows at 5,000 K -- this is true of the 40-, 60-, and 75-watt replacement LEDs, too. The 100-watt replacement is omnidirectional, dimmable, and rated to last 25,000 hours, same as the rest of Cree's bulbs. Perhaps most important of all is the fact that the 100-watt replacement keeps Cree's generous 10-year warranty."

I cannot find any 100W incandescent bulbs but if you take the 60W 770 lumens and multiply by 1.66, the 100W incandescent bulb output may be around 1283 lumens.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

no, it won't,  based on my experience with other "electronic" based lightbulbs. Mainly CFL's and a couple LEDs.  Those damn things have fragile circuit boards and with all the heat generated, the electronics fail. Sure, the LED might be good, and the poisonous mercury vapor mix in the little tube might be good for a millenia, but if the %@$@$@# bulb won't turn on, what good is it?

these new bulbs are a red herring. They are many many times the cost, don't seem to last any longer than good incandescents, and some of them are poisonous to dispose of.

I was  a HUGE proponent of CFL/LED lighting early one, but I got stung. I spent a crapload on lights that just die right away.  I'll wait til these bulbs can prove the actually last as long as they say they do.  Not based on estimates, but when these bulbs literally last ten years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

Yup, the LED light bulb will love you long time

no, it won't,  based on my experience with other "electronic" based lightbulbs. Mainly CFL's and a couple LEDs.  Those damn things have fragile circuit boards and with all the heat generated, the electronics fail. Sure, the LED might be good, and the poisonous mercury vapor mix in the little tube might be good for a millenia, but if the %@$@$@# bulb won't turn on, what good is it?

these new bulbs are a red herring. They are many many times the cost, don't seem to last any longer than good incandescents, and some of them are poisonous to dispose of.

I was  a HUGE proponent of CFL/LED lighting early one, but I got stung. I spent a crapload on lights that just die right away.  I'll wait til these bulbs can prove the actually last as long as they say they do.  Not based on estimates, but when these bulbs literally last ten years.

Three years ago I bought a house and Lowes had 40 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs on sale for under ten bucks. I replaced every incandescant bulb in the house with LEDs and left the few CFLs alone. I had a few dead bulbs right out of the box, but every single LED I put in is still going today. The dead LEDs are covered by a 5 year warranty.

Not one failure.

I cannot say the same for the CFLs. They are being replaced with LEDs as they fail.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LEDs can be dimmed with a process called pulse width modulation (pwm). It's basically turning the diode on an off quickly which through persistence of vision makes it appear to be dim.  Regular dimmer switches are big variable resistors that limit current to the bulb. An incandescent light glows due to the amount of current flowing through the filament. Dimmed LEDs still require full current to work so a standard dimmer has little to no usable effect on them.  I suspect we will see new dimmer switches for LEDs that communicate to a pwm controller in the bulb.

Three way LED bulbs don't require any special lamp/fixture hardware beyond what is required by a 3 way incandescent bulb. A normal bulb has two contacts. Current is either allowed to flow through or not. Three way bulbs have three contacts and two filaments of differing wattage. You can power the low watt filament, the high watt filament or both to get your three brightnesses. A three way LED bulb would work exactly the same way. It would have two constant current drivers and two discrete strings of LEDs. They even make units with many individual LEDs on one die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate CFL, hence the reason I hated the anti-incandescent legislation.

Thank you Cree, for kicking ass and offer something I would have bought regardless.

Now, you just need to figure out how to do a 3-way bulb.

LEDs can be dimmed with a process called pulse width modulation (pwm). It's basically turning the diode on an off quickly which through persistence of vision makes it appear to be dim.  Regular dimmer switches are big variable resistors that limit current to the bulb. An incandescent light glows due to the amount of current flowing through the filament. Dimmed LEDs still require full current to work so a standard dimmer has little to no usable effect on them.  I suspect we will see new dimmer switches for LEDs that communicate to a pwm controller in the bulb.

Three way LED bulbs don't require any special lamp/fixture hardware beyond what is required by a 3 way incandescent bulb. A normal bulb has two contacts. Current is either allowed to flow through or not. Three way bulbs have three contacts and two filaments of differing wattage. You can power the low watt filament, the high watt filament or both to get your three brightnesses. A three way LED bulb would work exactly the same way. It would have two constant current drivers and two discrete strings of LEDs. They even make units with many individual LEDs on one die.

So... should be easy.  They just need to get to it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure, the LED will last a bazillion hours.  The board and other hardware, however, probably won't.  

Either way, fuck CFLs.  I'm buying some of these bitches.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

and look damn good doing it.. I was impressed with the few I've switched over..
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#18]

So these new LED bulbs have about the same efficiency as the existing fluorescent bulbs.  

Other than different technology, there's not much news here.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow!  100 watt LED matrix will put out what?   About 10,000 lumens.  Cool!
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Great job Cree.

However, there is a dark side to this. This only further establishes the liberial belief that if they mandate and over-regulate, that new technology will some how miraculously be developed.

Hence the reason people like Obama would say "cree you didn't build that" If it were not for our government decisions you would not have bothered .etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

They should rate them in burn hours only instead of years. Burn hours per day can vary significantly with the application. But then the average user couldn't calculate that in years.

In my CEM class they talked about LEDs. Figure on only 80% of your bulbs making it to the listed hour rating.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I want a 250 or 350 watt equivalent.  Why stop at 100?  I'd love a lamp that lit the whole room like daytime.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Been slowly replacing all the bulbs in my house with LEDs.

Plus they're awesome outdoors. No bugs and I live on a lake.
View Quote

+1

Now I just need one to illuminate a flag at a distance of 22' and I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
My house is all CFLs. I've only had to replace a few of them in 5 years.

As my CFLs run out I might start replacing them with the LEDs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1

Now I just need one to illuminate a flag at a distance of 22' and I'll be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

What brand bulbs are ya'll using? I've read LEDs don't attract bugs, but then later I'll read that isn't true. So, which is it. Could just be differences in manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Really cool. I love CREE.
View Quote

I will buy some, but I  call BULLSHIT on the  'made in America ' claim
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder what k it puts out? 2700k, 5000k?
What is the best for inside a house?
View Quote

I bought 1 5k. A little too blue looking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What brand bulbs are ya'll using? I've read LEDs don't attract bugs, but then later I'll read that isn't true. So, which is it. Could just be differences in manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

If this is true:

http://insects.about.com/od/behaviorcommunication/f/insects-attracted-light.htm

It shouldn't make a difference.

However, this article suggest it's more a matter of UV light, not overall light - and thus it would, and does.

http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/powersource/4370288/Another-advantage-of-LED-lights-They-dont-attract-bugs-and-here-is-why
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5K is like daylight, and may look unusually harsh and "sterile" in a house where you are used to incandescent lights.  It grows on you, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

5K is like daylight, and may look unusually harsh and "sterile" in a house where you are used to incandescent lights.  It grows on you, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just installed some LED lights for a customer. 4100K and to my eye it was nearly pure white light. I definitely would want to go any higher on the Kelvin scale to avoid the blue look.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love it for reading.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish they would come out with a 3 way LED (75, 100, 125w eqv).  That's the only other type of bulb I need to get rid of the few CFL's that I still have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say BS on the made in America claim?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#36]
If you get power from ComEd, check your Home Depot for a bulk discount.  We just bought a bunch of Cree 60w equivalent bulbs for about $5 each.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Three years ago I bought a house and Lowes had 40 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs on sale for under ten bucks. I replaced every incandescant bulb in the house with LEDs ...
View Quote

I hope you have a lot of fixtures. 40w ... too dim for my uses.

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
100 watt equivalent or 100 watt actual.

With LED there is a HUGE difference.

a 100 watt actual LED is enough to run a grow operation off of.
View Quote

There are LED marine flood lights like used on fishing boats that draw 40 watts of power.  So I'm guessing "equivalent".
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you.  Cree's made "made in America" claims are BS.  They make parts in China, and import them into the USA for assembly.  

Most of Cree's manufacturing operations are in China.  

Anyone recognize this guy touring Cree's facilities?  

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#40]
BTW the Home Depot website says there's a 10 year warranty on CREE bulbs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I see LED light bulbs as an easy way to reduce our demand for foreign oil.

Imagine if every street light in America was switched over to LEDs. Less wasted energy used per night for lighting roads and parking lots. You also have a Better CRI index so you'll see things clearer.

My policy is we need to drill for more domestic oil/gas, but also reduce energy consumption on the user end. Changing light bulbs is something that's easy to implement.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three years ago I bought a house and Lowes had 40 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs on sale for under ten bucks. I replaced every incandescant bulb in the house with LEDs ...

It was actually too bright at first but we got used to it. Most of the fixtures have two bulbs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#43]
This is probably a really stupid question....

But if I have a lamp that says "60W MAX" on it, can I install a 100W equivalent LED bulb, since the actual electricity used is less than that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is probably a really stupid question....

But if I have a lamp that says "60W MAX" on it, can I install a 100W equivalent LED bulb, since the actual electricity used is less than that?
View Quote

That 100W equivalent LED only uses 18W, so you would be just fine. One day they might make a 60W LED, but you would need sunglasses in your room if you put one there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Imagine if every street light in America was switched over to LEDs. Less wasted energy used per night for lighting roads and parking lots. You also have a Better CRI index so you'll see things clearer.

My policy is we need to drill for more domestic oil/gas, but also reduce energy consumption on the user end. Changing light bulbs is something that's easy to implement.
View Quote

IIRC, some traffic signal lights that were switched to LEDs had problems icing over in winter as they didn't throw off as much heat as the standard fixtures.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're switching. Fly often, you'll see more and more areas, especially new developments, as cold white at night, not orange. As more mercury vapor is replaced with LED, US cities will go from orange sparkles to white sparkles at night.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Get out of here.  Is that true?  You are on my short list for post of the year.  This is the kind of thing that makes GD worth being around.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love Cree's flashlights. Cheaper than the rest, but just as good.
View Quote

They just make the LEDs used in many flashlights - not the entire flashlight.

Their LEDs are used in hundreds (thousands?) of different flashlight brands - dirt-cheap to super-expensive.

Chinese flashlight manufacturers like to use the "Cree" name on their products, as a marketing ploy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sure, the LED will last a bazillion hours.  The board and other hardware, however, probably won't.  
View Quote

Not so much. Frequently these things are a single or serial string of LEDs with a forward voltage close to wall voltage, a small resistor and a non polarized capacitor. Current is controlled through impedance via the cap. If wall voltage is reletively clean and the cap isn't horrible quality the LEDs will wear out before the current control circuit does.

With that setup the LEDs are driven at 50% duty cycle. A full bridge rectifier brings it much closer to 100%. If it's a multiple LED unit, the LEDs themselves could be arranged to make the rectifier. Probably not the best option given how robust integrated FBR are these days.

If it's an op-amp based feedback circuit with a FET or MOSFET there is greater chance of failure but it's still very low. The greatest chance of failure is either a screw up in manufacturing (improper assembly, defective components) or noisy power.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$20 for a light bulb?

The CFLs I put in my house lasted around an average of 5 years a piece.  Maybe you have some electrical issues with your home that aren't readily noticeable.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top