Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in high school I had a lifted Ford Bronco and I backed into a guys mailbox leaving my buddy's house late one night..

I told the guy it was me... And paid to have it replaced.... And he was still mad..

Anyway...

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wrong.  That will get you sued when some dumbass hits it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concrete filled well casing for the post and a piece of larger thick walled pipe to put the box in.

Wrong.  That will get you sued when some dumbass hits it.

Yeah I would love to see that play out in court...

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one made out of 5/16 armor steel plate. the caught the college kids doing it when they wound up in the ER after the gold club they were using snapped back and hit the one guy in the head with the broken shaft.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched a guy try and take out a mailbox at speed leaning out the back seat window with a sledge hammer. He missed and caved in his asshole buddy's front door. Instant Karma
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 10" diameter Hedge post tamped in 48" of gravel & clay below ground & the standard 42" height above ground. It has served me well over the years.

Able to stop the speeding 3/4 ton Chevy truck of one of my ex's new boyfriend dead in it's tracks.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Tire tracks?

Evidence??

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So much easier to put a T-post on either side of the newly installed mailbox.

I heard a very loud tink one night. It was an aluminum bat hitting a steel pipe. The vertical pipe held, the horizontal gave way. Found out later someone had a broken wrist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Welder friend made one of those pipe mailboxes you guys are talking about.

Drunk hit his and friend had to pay for the damage to the truck.

Magistrate stated that mailbox was on the right of way for the road.

Friend pulled mailbox back the correct amount from the centerline to get it off r/w and made a small gravel pad for mailman to get to mailbox.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
So you post a reward and a high school kid gives you a name. Now what. It's not like it will be investigated . Unless you live in a 500 person town and the police are bored. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Me and pops were just talking about various funny shit throughout the years....he just told me this story (of which I have no independent recollection of...)

Many moons ago when I was a young lad (roughly 3 or so) we lived on the edge of a Mesa...our front yard was nothing but desert as far as you could see...pops evidently was having an issue with drunks/assholes running over the mailbox so being as he worked for a fairly large maintenance company at the time liberated some solid steel elevator guides...he  cut three lengths of 8 inch round bar into 10 foot lengths and arc welded them together in a triangle....then sunk six foot of it into the earth and filled the hole with concrete...as pop put it..."if your going to kill it...you may as well overkill it"

He then bolted the mailbox on the top of this 87 million pound mailbox post, gave it a coat of paint and placed it in service...

Evidently he didn't have to wait too long to get his....as he tells it there was a random mangled pickup truck fender and door glass laying next to the post a few days later....he never found the truck....but no one ever hit the mailbox again...

He said that old mailbox is still there 40 years later...
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
8" steel well casing, bury 6" underground with enough up top for correct mailbox height.  Backfill with concrete, fill casing with concrete.  Make a mailbox out of 1/4" plate steel, weld to top of casing.  Paint casing brown, paint mailbox grey.  

A guy in the town I worked in as police officer did this after his mailbox had been ball-batted several times.  Sure enough, they tried it again.  The bat was shattered next to the mailbox.  The pranksters then tried to run the mailbox down with their truck and sustained significant rear end damage.  We found them later, kid had broken his wrist.  Aside from paint damage, the mailbox was unscathed.  Kids were charged and ordered to pay the owner back for all of the damages and the cost of the new mailbox that destroyed the rear of their truck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

this.....  but paint it to look like wood.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I like the way you think!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
channel iron post with a welded steel frame for the mailbox
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The trick I was told about was to get a large rural box and a regular sized one. Remove the door from the regular one. Stand the big one on end, place the regular one onside the big one, and fill the interstitial space with concrete.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This works on a steel pole painted to look like wood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I got sick of the stupid teens doing that shit every few years.  Put the cheapest POS mailbox up that just sticks in the ground.  If they destroy it twenty bucks and I'm back in action.  Thing is, since I did that five years ago it's been untouched.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't get a high dollar mail box.

Been through many myself.  Seems the county always knocks them down when they plow.  I give them a call and they drop off a shitty mailbox on a post in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete.  Leave that out for the winter, put a "nice" one up and the next winter it will be gone again.  It's a cycle
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Somebody knocked down my mailbox along with 2 others last night. No tire tracks and no evidence. Any clever ways of finding out who did it? I'm pretty oissed because I just spent $125 on putting it in and it lasted 2 months. Thinking of posting a reward around the local high school. What else in a small town of 800 can I do to catch these turds? It happened to the other neighbor 3 weeks ago and now they got 2 more of us.
View Quote

The highway department here just contracted out the resurfacing of the road in front of my house.  After they finished, they pulled out all the mailboxes and replaced them with "crash resistant" ones.  Mine was on a wooden post I had bought from Lowes.  They replaced every one of them with simple 1.5" metal posts.

Your tax dollars at work.

LC
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got sick of the stupid teens doing that shit every few years.  Put the cheapest POS mailbox up that just sticks in the ground.  If they destroy it twenty bucks and I'm back in action.  Thing is, since I did that five years ago it's been untouched.
View Quote

This does work!  I had a handful of problems with mine over a couple of years, and after repairing it a few times I left the slightly damaged one up and it's never been touched since in almost 10 years.  Now I'm gonna go out and see it gone tomorrow because of this post.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
You missed your opportunity to catch who did it. They came back a few hours later to see their handy work. Just slap a 4x4 in the ground with a $10 box and youll be fine.  I had the same set up among several fancy boxes and they all got smashed to shit and mine survived.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Weld a post to a coil spring? They hit it and it bounces right back up

Like the ride on toys they used to have at Mcdonalds

ETA like this! I could totally see it springing back up like a cartoon character smacking the guy a couple times
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Concrete filled well casing for the post and a piece of larger thick walled pipe to put the box in.
View Quote

^^^
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I found a neat trick.   I don't maintain a mailbox.   I use a P.O.  Box .     Being doing it for around 20 years.    

The problem is that even the poorest have A/C (HEAP),  housing (section 8), lots of food (welfare, WIC, and food stamps), which leaves plenty of untaxed money for vehicles.

Years ago, they took out my mail box.   I refuse to play their games.     IF I can't put up something that will kill someone, I will not mess with it.      Criminals have to die.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
The best fortified mail box I saw was a piece of 4" schedule 80 pipe that was sawed more of than half way through from opposite sides 18" off of the ground. When the shit head in the lifted truck hit it, the pole snapped off ripping the oil pan off of the truck and bending the rear axle housing. Needless to say dumb shit got caught. He had ran over 7 or 8 mail boxes before meeting his downfall.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#28]
PO BOX
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Found the perpetrator..

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a 10" diameter Hedge post tamped in 48" of gravel & clay below ground & the standard 42" height above ground. It has served me well over the years.

Able to stop the speeding 3/4 ton Chevy truck of one of my ex's new boyfriend dead in it's tracks.

View Quote

Damn!  A bodark post like that would probably stop about anything.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, over 3 miles of destruction and 50+ mailboxes hit. Sheesh. How annoying.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Found the perpetrator..

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/269Z4yFcT8Y/mqdefault.jpg
View Quote

Throw the bowling ball!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Get a Ft Knox Mailbox with a breakaway bolt base pole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my state the post has to be breakable.

The shitty, micromanaging busybody mailman will stop delivering mail to a properly anchored mailbox.

Anything that could stop a car is a no-go here.

Get a Ft Knox Mailbox with a breakaway bolt base pole.

Beat me to it.  Especially when the 50# mailbox comes sailing through the windshield.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Pretty expensive mail box. Mine and (2) other neighbors got knocked down 2 months ago and it cost me 34.00 american dollars to replace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody knocked down my mailbox along with 2 others last night. No tire tracks and no evidence. Any clever ways of finding out who did it? I'm pretty oissed because I just spent $125 on putting it in and it lasted 2 months. Thinking of posting a reward around the local high school. What else in a small town of 800 can I do to catch these turds? It happened to the other neighbor 3 weeks ago and now they got 2 more of us.

Pretty expensive mail box. Mine and (2) other neighbors got knocked down 2 months ago and it cost me 34.00 american dollars to replace.

How much is that in Canadian?

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The shitty, micromanaging busybody mailman will stop delivering mail to a properly anchored mailbox.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

about oh.... 10 years ago.. the post office passed out letters, stating your mailbox HAD to be between, XXX inches off the ground, and no more than xx inches , i had to rebuild my mailbox to comply.. cause im a nice guy, and comply to REASONABLE requests.. although i usually bitch about it.     anyway....., there were people who said fuck it, im not replacing shit.. its been there for 20 years, fuck them...

well, one of the local mailmen, who was pissed off that a certain mailbox was in violation,and  was not at the correct height.  he left notes, and later told owner to fix it.... UNFORTUNATELY, there was a family history between mailmans family, and the mailbox owners family, that was years old, and bad blood... basically a low key, hatfield / mccoy feud....( mailmans family had been putting nails in atv trails, ( not just nails, they drilled holes in limestone / sandstone with cordless drills and placed sharpened nails in the rocks, sticking 4-6" high , and covered them with leaves ), on land being leased for hunting, next to theirs, and they were often caught tresspassing, and hunting on neighbors property... despite themselves owning thousands of acres of land... there have been several instances of guns pulled and pointed at people,  and threats made...there have been people shot at... there was a rear window blasted out of a car with a shotgun, as someone attempted to escape, after a prank of some kind.... lots of " almost" serious shit , that could easily result in death, dismemberment, and prison.  im amazed noone has killed anyone yet. ( i myself had never had a single issue with them, but a lot of others had..

they live on a dead end county road.... the road dead ends approx 1 mile past their house, ( but, there are two other houses past their house, before the dead end, so anyone driving down that road, could easily be going to visit one of those other houses, or just be lost.....but, those idiots,  they will  often stop vehicles driving past their house, asking them what the fuck they are doing on " their" road.. etc. they did this to a female friend of mine about 6 years ago, who simply drove out to look at her dead grand parants old house, ( from the road, as she drove past, as she was feeling nostalgic ).. they stopped her by standing in the road with a shotgun as she was driving back out, and scared the hell out of her, demanding to know WTF, she was doing on " their road"... remember, its a paved county road, with other houses on it .  

( i hunted on land leased next to the trouble makers for a few years..... and, after hearing a few of the stories,.. if it had been me, alone... i would have killed the guy... it was text book self defense.) ..... anyway.... . ( mailman was not not the guy threating people with guns, but he had made verbal threats, i think one of his brothers was the guy pointing guns at people, and was lucky no one had killed him in self defense as of yet. .. .. mailman guy is apparently one of the more rational ones... fucking insane assed rednecks.    suddenly the mailbox started getting destroyed each night..( this lasted several weeks, every few days mailbox would be destroyed) . they rebuilt it each time to original specs, instead of rebuilding it to the new height as asked.. ....  

ok... so, multiple mailboxes were destroyed.....

a few weeks later..... the offending mailman got his ass kicked over that mailbox. he was confronted over it, ( while off duty,)  and he totally denied doing it, but it turned into a fist fight ( mailman threw first punch) ....fistfight turned into a pulled knife, ( mailman was losing fist fight, and pulled a knife) which resulted in a pulled gun..( a third party observer  pulled the gun, and told mailman to put his knife up, and to GTFO the property before something bad happened) .etc...... then after  ..after  a irate call to the postmaster / local post office, from the mailbox owner....describing the situation, and the mail mans name, threats of violence from mailman, etc, etc, ..... suddenly....no more mailbox vandalism, stopped cold for some reason.. strange huh? .

for anyone interested.... heres one of the stories.

two gentlemen from mailbox guys family tree... were hunting on land, owned by a neighbor of mailmans family. they had full permission to be on the land... they were squirrel hunting approx 100 yards inside the neighbors property, and 100 yards away from mailmans familys property line. well, one of the crazier of mailmans brothers, sneaks across the property line, and pops up right behind  the two squirrel hunters, within easy talking distance,  and pointed a 44 mag at them, and began ranting about them poaching.. and how he was going to kill them , while pointing a loaded ruger 44 mag at them... while he was tresspassing himself, etc. etc.

one guy told 44 mag guy, you need to shut the fuck up, take your pussy gun, and GTFO this property and back on your own... because
#1.  " your not going to fucking shoot anyone..... if you were, you would have already done it
#2. the second you shoot me, my friend there, will empty 14 rounds of 22 ammo into your ass from that semi squirrel gun, before you can take a second shot..

44 mag guy cussed some more... but holstered the gun and walked away...  

( thats just one of about a dozen stories i have heard..... )      im talking real hatfield mccoy feud shit...  ( they always teased me about hunting with a ar-15, or a m1a, and carrying a glock as well on me.....   .. but fuck that shit..... im 99% sure i would have killed the 44 mag guy if it were me, alone....
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

A 60 pound mailbox on a 4x4 post will still do plenty of damage to whatever hits it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

That's mine minus the planters.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll weld you and the neighbors up a 4" quarter wall square tube post that looks just like a regular one and sink it thirty inches in a half yard of concrete.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've never had the opportunity to communicate with the kind of individual who does this, so can you tell me the thought process that causes one to derive pleasure from destroying the property of others?  It's the same shit in public bathrooms--vandalism.  I see divider walls and toilet paper holders torn off, and even urinals torn from the wall.  Why would you do that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back when I was a dick teenager, my friend and I used to take a bat to this one specific mailbox.  It looked like a barn and was made of plastic.  My friend would walk up to it and tee off and shatter that thing into a million pieces.  Next week, the box was up and we'd do it again.  One night, we drive by and the box was back up.  My friend gets out of the car and takes a monster swing.  I hear a loud gong sound followed by my friend dropping the bat and grabbing his arms.  The people had a replica box made of 1/4" plate steel.  Never messed with them again.  

In your case, concrete base as others have already suggested.  Create a barrier so it's not easy to attack on the go (think mailbox baseball from a moving vehicle).  Also something locking so nobody can steal your mail from it too.  And definitely at least one camera.

I've never had the opportunity to communicate with the kind of individual who does this, so can you tell me the thought process that causes one to derive pleasure from destroying the property of others?  It's the same shit in public bathrooms--vandalism.  I see divider walls and toilet paper holders torn off, and even urinals torn from the wall.  Why would you do that?  

The ability to destroy something, and get away with it, conveys a sense of power - especially attractive to teens who have the bodies of adults but are still treated like children.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Put it back up?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Here you go OP

ETA: damn it, beat...by a lot of people! this is now a dazed and confused mailbox smash thread!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top