Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Bitcoin will be around for awhile. It's deflationary design, human nature and supply limitations will cause it to continue bubbling and crashing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What exactly does an exchange faking volume have to do with bitcoin itself?
View Quote
It generates interest and legitimacy.

Bitcoin is the largest pump and dump in the history of history.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Gold and silver.

Nothing else.

Money for 87 hundred years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

but I can't buy real things with monopoly money.... what gives? So bitcoin is real fake money?
View Quote
Dollars are real fake money....
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I could never believe in computer money.
View Quote
Except... you do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, because a 2-1/2" x 6" piece of paper has "real value" that you can believe in.
View Quote
ANYTHING has the value that it can be traded for or inherent usefulness.

a gallon of water is worth more than a similar volume of gold to a man stuck in the desert. What is the cash value of a parachute to a guy falling from an airplane with out one?  id trade a SPARE parachute for 20 lbs of currency, i wouldn't give up my primary.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It has the power of "if other countries stop trading in it we will kill a bunch of their people and break a bunch of their shit". So there is that...
View Quote
Seriously,  this is one of the most astute postings I've ever read.  Spot on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
bitcoin is fake money anyway.
View Quote
Just numbers in a computer...

...sounds familiar
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has the power of "if other countries stop trading in it we will kill a bunch of their people and break a bunch of their shit". So there is that...
Our money is so good we'll kill you if you dont use it.

Should be a red flag.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be careful out there.

An analysis published by Bitwise this week shows that 95 percent of bitcoin spot trading is faked by unregulated exchanges. The survey, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, echoes concerns by regulators that cryptocurrency markets are still ripe for manipulation.

Bitwise, an asset manager in the process of trying to list the first-ever bitcoin exchange-traded fund, said it met with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday to discuss its application. As a part of the process, it submitted analysis that could help regulators cut through the noise.
View Quote
CNBC article
View Quote
whoever is trading bitcoin on a serious level is a fool who will sooner or later be separated from their money. Bitcoin is based on no intrinsic value whatsoever (yeah I know world currencies aren't either but at least the world plays the same game)

Take a look at it this way, the world plays monopoly, we all agree to the rules of the game and used the currency of the game. Then someone comes along and says I want to use currency from the game PayDay because they are the ones who know how to make more money from the PayDay game.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Majority of trading is derivatives (and not electronic) bitcoins and other cryptos; Bix Wier has been saying this for a while. A lot of exchanges don't have the electronic asset to transfer so if you're into trading cryptos, take delivery into your own off line paper wallet.

Mt. Gox is a good example of an exchange that bought and sold without having the actual electronic digital assets to sell or transfer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
"Fake" dollar bills work when the power goes out. Does Bitcoin?  Also, when you sell Bitcoin, what are you paid with?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Fake" dollar bills work when the power goes out. Does Bitcoin?  Also, when you sell Bitcoin, what are you paid with?
View Quote
You should probably Google it and learn instead of continuing with your uneducated perspective and reliance on forum posters to do the work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Currency, not money.  Even the dollar in both the printed and digital form are both currencies.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Personally, I've traded bitcoin for silver and USD.

I'd be happy to take btc payment for gun parts if I had any for sale right now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
How much fiat currency is based on real assets? How many dollars are 'created' out of thin air? How much of what we accept of our monetary system is a 'hoax'?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did hey pay his capital gains taxes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was at least one arfcommer that sold when bitcoin hit it's high a year or two back and he made a shitload of money.
I did.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Be careful out there.

An analysis published by Bitwise this week shows that 95 percent of bitcoin spot trading is faked by unregulated exchanges. The survey, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, echoes concerns by regulators that cryptocurrency markets are still ripe for manipulation.

Bitwise, an asset manager in the process of trying to list the first-ever bitcoin exchange-traded fund, said it met with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday to discuss its application. As a part of the process, it submitted analysis that could help regulators cut through the noise.
View Quote
CNBC article
View Quote
And this is what they want you to believe, no nation wants bitcoin to be successful.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can't speak for everyone else, but when I sold all of my Bitcoins in 2017, I was paid with U.S. dollars.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was at least one arfcommer that sold when bitcoin hit it's high a year or two back and he made a shitload of money.
I hope not, gov says bitcoin is Monopoly money so why pay taxes on something that isn't of value.

Capitol gain tax is bullshit anyway
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And this is what they want you to believe, no nation wants bitcoin to be successful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be careful out there.

CNBC article
It's not BS, Bitcoin is rife with fraud.

You don't have to go all in on blindly defending it or blindly criticizing it.  You have to know both the strengths and weaknesses of cryptocurrency if you want to do well with it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope not, gov says bitcoin is Monopoly money so why pay taxes on something that isn't of value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gov has said for at least 6 years now that crypto sales are subject to capital gains taxes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the get rich quick scam of the 21st Century. It isn't about risk mgt., it's about choosing how you want screwed because you will get screwed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dont get the naysayers.  You have a board full of people that talk about the tree of liberty but love magic government endorsed money that effectively steals from them at the rate of inflation just to keep the authoritarian police state funded.
View Quote
It's then"conservative" way, now get back to your job, citizen , and pay those taxes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, because a 2-1/2" x 6" piece of paper has "real value" that you can believe in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can trade dollar bills in virtually every conceived location. I can pay someone off the street to 10 bucks to help me move a couch from my house, to the moving trailer in the street. Any informal transaction can take place with cold hard cash.

Butcoin is a bunch of 1s and 0s floating aroubd in space. It has no intrinsic value whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No way Op. Its the next big thing. You just gotta keep pumping money into it to see.
View Quote
It did well for me. So well that if I had dumped my conventional accounts into it I’d be posting this from my private island in the Caribbean. If only I had a time machine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s all fake.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I love how bitcoin nerds hate the thought of using a physical fiat currency backed by an actual economy. They prefer a fiat currency that requires internet access, can't be accessed during a long term power outage, and is backed by the full faith and credit of 4chan.

And then they think it is somehow "off the grid" and going to protect them from the government tracking their purchases and seizing their assets. The same government that literally controls internet access and wireless bands. Gonna be kind of tough to initiate plan bitcoin bug out if the deep state Rothschild money control conspiracy was true after all and they simply block consumer access to the internet like North Korea.
View Quote
Yeah, they're fools IMO. It might be working for them right now. But it is still far less secure for protecting your wealth than having it in the form of real money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well it is backed by the good faith of the federal res.....

I almost finished that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Wall Streetand the Big Bankers said they were going to destroy Bitcoin right? Crooks don’t like competition.

I have never and will never buy bitcoin, but gee that stinks like sour milk in a rotting asshole on a hot day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because paper fiat dollars are ‘real’ and nobody ever manipulates paper currency.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You can trade dollar bills in virtually every conceived location. I can pay someone off the street to 10 bucks to help me move a couch from my house, to the moving trailer in the street. Any informal transaction can take place with cold hard cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless the other side of that informal transaction isnt within arms reach.

Butcoin is a bunch of 1s and 0s floating aroubd in space. It has no intrinsic value whatsoever.
High trust, low cost, and speed.

Remember the old saying about goods and services:  You have 3 choices:  quality, cost, and speed-  but the laws of economy dictate you can only pick two.  Well, crypto-currency lets you have all 3.  I'd say thats a fuck ton of intrinsic value.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I almost finished that.
View Quote
It is physical currency. I can buy a bundle of corn on the cob that tastes amazing, that my co-worker grows in his back yard. The most possibly informal transactions can take place with cash. If the internet goes down, or power goes out, you can still trade with it. I can't use it to buy a bottle of water in a natural disaster emergency either and my loved one is having severe dyhydration.

If anything real federal backed money is the REAL shtf money. Even more useful for trade than gold. I mean, who off the street will give you something you desperately needed and you tried to give them shavings of Gold?

Crypto currency has no actual value..
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can't buy a hooker and blow with crypto.  Pimps don't take checks or crypto. Cash only.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did.
Same here.
As did I.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do your pieces of paper you call "cash".
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can't buy a hooker and blow with crypto.  Pimps don't take checks or crypto. Cash only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im sure plenty of brothels take crypto.  Especially the illegal ones.

So yes, you can buy hookers AND blow with crypto.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is physical currency. I can buy a bundle of corn on the cob that tastes amazing, that my co-worker grows in his back yard. The most possibly informal transactions can take place with cash. If the internet goes down, or power goes out, you can still trade with it. I can't use it to buy a bottle of water in a natural disaster emergency either and my loved one is having severe dyhydration.

If anything real federal backed money is the REAL shtf money. Even more useful for trade than gold. I mean, who off the street will give you something you desperately needed and you tried to give them shavings of Gold?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost finished that.

It really isn't.  It's only valuable if the other party to the transaction agrees it's valuable.  shtf?  Maybe not so much.  Those pieces of folded up paper aren't going to hydrate their kids.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Although I don't have any dealings with bitcoin, I doin't really see how it is that much "worse" than US currency.  Both systems count on people trusting the system.  Neither bitcoin, nor US government currency are currently backed by anything like gold or silver.  The internet could be arbitrarily shut down, and the government could arbitrarily devalue it's own money, so both systems have potential problems.

Fortunately, people are free to use whichever system they are more comfortable with (at least for now).
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
If that's true then it won't be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I traded $1700 in "real" money for this "fake" money. Later I traded my "fake" money for about $13k of "real" money.  Could have been a lot more if I would have waited longer.  But I still have about $3k in "fake" money.  I don't care if any of it is real or if the market is manipulated.  I can't get hurt at this point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It really isn't.  It's only valuable if the other party to the transaction agrees it's valuable.  shtf?  Maybe not so much.  Those pieces of folded up paper aren't going to hydrate their kids.
View Quote
If people aren't accepting cash for trade, then they sure as heck aren't accepting bitcoins either. I have to disagree with this "all or nothing" approach. The idea that if US dollars isn't backed by gold, then it is the exact same thing as crypto currency.

Federal backed currency is way more trusted than crypto currency. It is much more transparent as well. Crypto currency seems pretty clandestine about many of their activities and process.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Love GD crypto threads.....it amuses me to read all the misinformed people out there that think they know what crypto is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If people aren't accepting cash for trade, then they sure as heck aren't accepting bitcoins either. I have to disagree with this "all or nothing" approach. The idea that if US dollars isn't backed by gold, then it is the exact same thing as crypto currency.

Federal backed currency is way more trusted than crypto currency. It is much more transparent as well. Crypto currency seems pretty clandestine about many of their activities and process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sure, if people aren't accepting cash they're probably not accepting anything -- that was my point, if the shit really hits the fan nobody gives a fuck what you have to offer, they're not going to take it.  So your cash won't save you any more than your gold bar will.  It's a pointless discussion.

Federal backed currency is "way more trusted" by people who are ignorant of how money works.  It is not any more transparent -- bitcoin is all math and all public for everyone to see.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Love GD crypto threads.....it amuses me to read all the misinformed people out there that think they know what crypto is.
View Quote
In all the crypto threads I've read on Arf, I've only ever seen four people who appear to have more than a kindergarten understanding of how it works.

Here's a pro tip for everyone I'll give you for free.  You won't have to spend any time reading or thinking on your own like faggots:

The intrinsic value of Bitcoin comes from the security, verifyability, and processing power of its network.

There you go.  You can either take my word for it, or go somewhere else other than GD to learn more about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy gas, grass, ass, or booze if the denominations are right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I started this thread just to see how quickly we would arrive at the "you just don't understand bitcoin" phase.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I started this thread just to see how quickly we would arrive at the "you just don't understand bitcoin" phase.  
View Quote
the majority of the people in this thread are limited to understanding 140 character tweets.

everyone should read the entirety of the actual PDF, and not the mass-media synopsis.

https://www.sec.gov/comments/sr-nysearca-2019-01/srnysearca201901-5164833-183434.pdf

the reason i suggest this is that there are actually three takeaways from the PDF, not just the one that the media is currently circle-jerking on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Here's a pro tip for everyone I'll give you for free.  You won't have to spend any time reading or thinking on your own like faggots:
The intrinsic value of Bitcoin comes from the security, verifyability, and processing power of its network.
There you go.  You can either take my word for it, or go somewhere else other than GD to learn more about it.
View Quote
the PDF i linked above presents a different view of the intrinsic value of bitcoin.  
the authors of that PDF are professional portfolio managers tasked with presenting the SEC a plan to bring a bitcoin-based ETF to market.
the dataset they boiled into statistical conclusions demonstrates a much deeper understanding of the bitcoin environment than previously shown; hence all the buzz regarding their analysis.
are you still right?  should we take your word for it?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top