Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
According to most chili recipes on ARCOM, I can take Ragu sauce, ground beef, and a can of beans and call it chili.

I don't agree with that, you heathens.

This recipe looks like something I'd consider chili.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Factually false on pretty much everything your wrote.

"chili stew"? Thats redundant. "Chili" is a chile and meat stew, not necessarily the same thing as a "chile stew" which can be whatever the Californians in Taos want to put in it.
As far as your pride in "New Mexico"
https://dutchartgallery.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Julius-Lira-Salazar-Map-of-Republic-of-Texas-1836-40x30-Oil-on-Canvas-Dallas-Art-Gallery-compr.jpg

Well, horseshit.
"Chili" as invented in Texas, by the Chili Queens of San Antonio, DOES have beef. Always has. While your pre Columbian, Meso American, Inca Denny's menu may not have had beef.........no one gives a shit because no one in Texas has ever claimed anything as silly as that. WE FUCKING KNOW when beef was introduced to Texas dude.

It's New Mexico red chile......with an "E". That you don't know the difference is funny, because my NM buddies are always sure to spell it correctly.

Pozole is pozole, not chili.

Sadly, most Yankees think this. I pity them for a lot of things.  

Historical facts prove you wrong.
"Chili" as in "chile con carne" isn't Mexican, Incan, Mesothelioman or related to any dish served south of Texas. We've known that for decades. It's Texan, popularized by the Chili Queens of San Antonio. While undoubtedly they were influenced by their culture in the ingredients they used....they sure as hell didn't include bean, corn, rice or any of that other shit.......because its a meat dish.

Now go read a book on chili.

View Quote

Shit, I love pedantry taken to a good white suburban hobbyist extreme.  I'm guessing you attend competitions?

I guess if the Chili Queens of San Antonio said it, well shit.  Can't argue with those guys.

You gotta love Texas.  Chillis, often in stews, are literally one of the single largest culinary influences on food in the history of the planet, originating in Mexico, and popular all across Eurasia and Africa, and some guy in Texas is gonna stamp his foot and claim authority to make binding definitions and state that the San Antonio Chili Queens invented chili at the First Annual Texas Pride Parade and it's prevalence in Texas has nothing to do with their state's former status as a Mexican colony.

Chili Queens. Goddamn. You can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Chili has beans.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]

GOOD chili does not have beans.

Cheap shitty full of shitty filler 'chili' has beans and/or rice.

Beans are for poors.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
its not even pasta sauce, its hot sauce
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

some guy in Texas is gonna stamp his foot and claim authority
View Quote

I haven't done that. I did however read more than a Wikipedia entry.
But go on, keep telling Texas how we gots it wrong and so does Terlingua.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s hot dog sauce
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I haven't done that. I did however read more than a Wikipedia entry.
But go on, keep telling Texas how we gots it wrong and so does Terlingua.
View Quote

You just said that chili was invented by some Texas Queens and that your authority to claim chili as a Texas dish, and to define what it contains, derives from that event.

I didn't read any wikipedia for this discussion.

There's no way you can possibly deny that people in Mexico and beyond weren't making all kinds of foods with chili peppers, including meat stews, before anybody from Europe ever got here, and that their Indian, Mestizo and Spaniard descendants added beef to the possible ingredients and took that idea to Texas.

I don't think anybody could make a serious argument that a stew made from chili peppers and beef doesn't predate Texas.

And you can make chili with no meat at all, nothing but chillis, and use it as a sauce over other foods. Hence, the term chili con carne,which basically acknowledges the existence of it done differently.

If I was going to name what you call chili, I would probably call it red chili.  Apparently that is a naming convention you are familiar with, since you use the term, "a bowl of red," suggesting there are other kinds too.

Chili.  It's bigger and older than Texas, dude.  Chilli peppers are proof that Çhicomecoatl loves us and wants us to be happy.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
For the Texas cowboy chili traditionalists...
Where does chili brick fall into the purview of tradition? Isn't that the pinnacle of tradition? I'm genuinely curious; not trying to be contentious. Anyone ever made their own brick? Any recipes?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No beans no care.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
ITT, Texas, a state known for culinary “achievements” like Tito’s vodka, Shiner beer, and Whataburger, attempts to assert culinary hegemony over the rest of the world on the grounds of superior taste.

(Chili doesn’t have beans.)
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where does chili brick fall into the purview of tradition? Isn't that the pinnacle of tradition? I'm genuinely curious; not trying to be contentious. Anyone ever made their own brick? Any recipes?
View Quote

Shit, does "cowboy chili" have beans?

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shit, does "cowboy chili" have beans?

View Quote

I wouldn't think so. It takes too long to cook on the trail. Which led me to chili bricks, because I thought making chili from scratch would take too long as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We had a vote. Texas hereby grants Bigtwin honorary Texan status.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you're almost starting to get it.

Chili is a dish of chunks of beef stewed in....wait for it....chilis!

That's what chili IS! No need for cheap filler like beans, no need for shit like tomato products, celery, corn, noodles, ect.

We had a vote. Texas hereby grants Bigtwin honorary Texan status.

I concur
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wouldn't think so. It takes too long to cook on the trail. Which led me to chili bricks, because I thought making chili from scratch would take too long as well.
View Quote

Beans are dry (less weight to carry), tough, nutrient dense and transport well. I think you might have found some carried on the trail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, horseshit.

While your pre Columbian, Meso American, Inca Denny's menu may not have had beef.......

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Beans are dry (less weight to carry), tough, nutrient dense and transport well. I think you might have found some carried on the trail.
View Quote

True...
I guess it would have depended on the particular cook and what they were willing to put up with and had time for, logistically speaking.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Real chili is cuts of beef stewed in chilis and spices. Period! Onions and garlic are optional.  Beer, brown sugar or molasses for flavor. Also people try things like fish sauce and whore-sta-shire sauce but I like basic 'ol chili.

OPs recipe link is the most basic recipe for chili (minus the sourcream and limes).

The bean chili I still make every so often is squirrelslayers bean chili. Its pretty good of you can find the thread.

ETA: Ah! Here it is

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Squirrelslayer-s-Chili-56k-and-Bean-Haters-Beware-/5-1008357/?page=1
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I concur
View Quote

It’s good that you concur since you voted.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No beans no care.
View Quote

beans are the stick-on hood scoops of the chili world, they don't do a fucking thing but make it look different

zero flavor horsepower added.  legume failure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You just said that chili was invented by some Texas Queens and that your authority to claim chili as a Texas dish, and to define what it contains, derives from that event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What I wrote was based on someone elses's book.

I didn't read any wikipedia for this discussion.

Maybe you should.

There's no way you can possibly deny that people in Mexico and beyond weren't making all kinds of foods with chili peppers, including meat stews, before anybody from Europe ever got here, and that their Indian, Mestizo and Spaniard descendants added beef to the possible ingredients and took that idea to Texas.

I'm not and you know that. What I've written is that chili as eaten by a majority of Americans wasn't concocted by your Incas, Mestizo, etc.....but by Tejano women. Tejano has a meaning.

I don't think anybody could make a serious argument that a stew made from chili peppers and beef doesn't predate Texas.

Yet when you present a bowl of Texas chili to a Mexican they havn't had it.....they don't eat it. Whether they eat other dishes made with meat and chile peppers doesn't have anything to do with anything.

And you can make chili with no meat at all, nothing but chillis, and use it as a sauce over other foods. Hence, the term chili con carne,which basically acknowledges the existence of it done differently.

Attachment Attached File

If I was going to name what you call chili, I would probably call it red chili.  Apparently that is a naming convention you are familiar with, since you use the term, "a bowl of red," suggesting there are other kinds too.

Chili.  It's bigger and older than Texas, dude.  Chilli peppers are proof that Çhicomecoatl loves us and wants us to be happy.

Once you learn that Chili is not the same as chile then we can have a conversation.  And fuck the Chicoms.

Now go enjoy your Sonoran hotdog that was invented by the Germans right after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Guess who made that map...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an honor and my pleasure.
I didn't even have a speech prepared for this award. So I'll leave you with this:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390917/ChiliIgnoranceMap_jpg-2201146.JPG

Guess who made that map...  

Well, from that comment I suspect you did.

I think I stole it from Vacaduck a couple years ago.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, because I'm not on the cattle trail and can buy my ingredients in a grocery store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because I'm not on the cattle trail and can buy my ingredients in a grocery store.

for now you can, anyway

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Meat stewed with spices has been around for millennia before there was Mexico or New Mexico. The point is that we're arguing about a dish REFINED by certain traditions, and that dish originated in the San Antonio area. When talking about "Chili", people aren't talking about some proto-Chili that was made somewhere else or does not incorporate beef. It's kind of like BBQ - people have been smoking meat for a looooong time, but when we talk about BBQ in the US context, we're talking about a specific preparation not some generic concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I love pedantry taken to a good white suburban hobbyist extreme.  I'm guessing you attend competitions?

I guess if the Chili Queens of San Antonio said it, well shit.  Can't argue with those guys.

You gotta love Texas.  Chillis, often in stews, are literally one of the single largest culinary influences on food in the history of the planet, originating in Mexico, and popular all across Eurasia and Africa, and some guy in Texas is gonna stamp his foot and claim authority to make binding definitions and state that the San Antonio Chili Queens invented chili at the First Annual Texas Pride Parade and it's prevalence in Texas has nothing to do with their state's former status as a Mexican colony.

Chili Queens. Goddamn. You can't make this stuff up.

Meat stewed with spices has been around for millennia before there was Mexico or New Mexico. The point is that we're arguing about a dish REFINED by certain traditions, and that dish originated in the San Antonio area. When talking about "Chili", people aren't talking about some proto-Chili that was made somewhere else or does not incorporate beef. It's kind of like BBQ - people have been smoking meat for a looooong time, but when we talk about BBQ in the US context, we're talking about a specific preparation not some generic concept.

Shhhhhh.........let him ride that horse.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
i love a good bowl of pinto beans

all that cilantro/comino/onion/salt pork/serrano/etc... flavor goodness is fucking awesome, especially with some cheese and jalapenos on top

but do you know what the beans brought to that dance?  a vessel for absorbing the flavor of everything else.  that's it and not a fucking thing more.

take water, add beans, apply heat and add nothing else... what would you get?  a bowl of tasteless nothingless.

yet beans are somehow this magic fucking ingredient that turns spaghetti sauce into chili?

you people are past help
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I don't have a local source for good dried chiles, is there one online?
View Quote

Fiesta Spices
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chili is a meat dish.
Chili is simple, with few ingredients.

Sour cream, habaneros, limes and good Lord.......sugar or molasses? GTFO.
View Quote

Fuck, I'm laughing so hard, I'm coughing/choking!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i love a good bowl of pinto beans

all that cilantro/comino/onion/salt pork/serrano/etc... flavor goodness is fucking awesome, especially with some cheese and jalapenos on top

but do you know what the beans brought to that dance?  a vessel for absorbing the flavor of everything else.  that's it and not a fucking thing more.

take water, add beans, apply heat and add nothing else... what would you get?  a bowl of tasteless nothingless.

yet beans are somehow this magic fucking ingredient that turns spaghetti sauce into chili?

you people are past help
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get that. It doesn't mean one can't be curious about the old traditional methods.
For example, my heritage is Korean on my mother's side...I can buy 'winter kimchi' at a store or prepare it from scratch and use modern refrigeration methods. But, I've also prepared and stored it using the traditional methods; using an onggi buried in the ground. It imparts a more sour flavor...
For the record, you can buy brick chili at the store as well. I was hoping a real Texan could show me the way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#34]
We call that spaghetti sauce there hoss...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Most of the last half of the ingredients should be removed (everything after the garlic, accept a minimal amount of water as needed)-none of that shit is in Texas Chili (I will admit, beef stock might be an interesting replacement for the water).  You will want comino and generally use ancho's rather than the peppers listed.

Correctly done, chili becomes tender chunks of beef in a gravey made of dried anchos and a couple spices (salt, black pepper, garlic, comino, and onions (the onions should be unrecognizable though).
---
one thing I have not tried is adding some ground dried tomatoes to the ancho gravy.  It might be somewhat realistic and add a slight sweetness.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm making chili and beans this coming weekend.

Not chili with beans.  Chili, and beans.  two separate pots and two separate spoons for fuck's sake.
View Quote

Yup, beans are a side dish, usually refries with a couple of tortillas.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
just got down browning meat in onions and garlic and adding chili tomatoes...
tomorrow I'll add all the other stuff I like.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That’s not chili
View Quote

Ever been to Chili,WI?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Mhhhm
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm making chili and beans this coming weekend.

Not chili with beans.  Chili, and beans.  two separate pots and two separate spoons for fuck's sake.
View Quote

Good mod, you can stay.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems like a lot of work when I could just go to Wendy's
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems like a lot of work when I could just go to Wendy's
View Quote

Enjoy your day old burger patties that didn't sell, mixed with slop!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I made red beans for red beans and rice this weekend.  They’ve got some cayenne, so I guess some folks here would call it chili.  They’d be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Didn’t want to keep everyone hanging… I eat late since I’m
Night shift… I’ll probably eat around 230-3 am… here the progress on the chili. Still needs to reduce some and rest.

And some cheddar cornbread that will go along with it… sorry I didn’t clean the stovetop for the pic. .
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So spaghetti sauce + beans = chili?

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

According to the ARFCOM heathens, the equation is spaghetti sauce + ground beef + beans = chili

Somehow the beans magically transform any tomato/meat-based concoction into "chili".
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Didn’t want to keep everyone hanging… I eat late since I’m
Night shift… I’ll probably eat around 230-3 am… here the progress on the chili. Still needs to reduce some and rest.

https://i.imgur.com/EXAvXPS.jpg

And some cheddar cornbread that will go along with it… sorry I didn’t clean the stovetop for the pic. .
https://i.imgur.com/3Y2cOy5.jpg
View Quote

looks delicious!

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top