Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Where's the proof he pointed the pistol at the inspector? So I can just accuse someone who's armed of pointing their gun at me and the police will come and arrest them, and charge them with a felony!? Doesn't sound right to me. If more than one person witnessed it, that might be different, but a single persons word vs a single persons word, seems like bs. I mean really, maybe he did, but maybe he didn't... either way wtf happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huge difference between "answering the door with a gun" and "pointing it at someone's chest".

That being said. I automatically assume that the local.gov official here is a lying sack of crap.  Chances are he is a panty waist liberal who was so scared by seeing a pistol, and knew that answering to door with it is not a crime, so a simple lie gets him the results (and "victim" status) that he wants... and everyone else will think twice before messing with a local "G-man".

View Quote

I believe you are correct
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huge difference between "answering the door with a gun" and "pointing it at someone's chest".

That being said. I automatically assume that the local.gov official here is a lying sack of crap.  Chances are he is a panty waist liberal who was so scared by seeing a pistol, and knew that answering to door with it is not a crime, so a simple lie gets him the results (and "victim" status) that he wants... and everyone else will think twice before messing with a local "G-man".

I'm more worried if Hickenlooper hasn't started to try to crush gun rights in the state again leading up to an election.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He shouldn't have answered his door with a gun.
View Quote

I always answer the door with a gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do too.

It's in a holster, but who knows what kind of lies liberals tell.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

An Arfcommer wouldn't have answered the door.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/roflbot-7-2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Screen name?

Thats true. And then proceeded to make a thread about someone knocking at their door.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He's doing it wrong.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats true. And then proceeded to make a thread about someone knocking at their door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Screen name?

I THINK I JUST GOT "CASED"
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where's the proof he pointed the pistol at the inspector? So I can just accuse someone who's armed of pointing their gun at me and the police will come and arrest them, and charge them with a felony!? Doesn't sound right to me. If more than one person witnessed it, that might be different, but a single persons word vs a single persons word, seems like bs. I mean really, maybe he did, but maybe he didn't... either way wtf happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty.
View Quote

I had someone convicted of reckless driving based solely on my word.  My word against his.  That was it.  Conviction and a $1000 fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
and they always stare at my wiener.  I'm done answering
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.

As I see it, the problem isn't with the homeowner answering the door while armed.  And, for the record......if you answer the door with a firearm, it better be loaded.

The conflict comes from: if the homeowner did or did not.......point the gun at the "stranger."  Intentionallly/knowingly, to cause a reasonable person to believe that his life was endangered under the circumstances...... Or at least words close to that....

So, not knowing what the statute there actually says.....I'm guessing.  

Or, the statute there may just be backwards.  Maybe the statute places the ball into the park of the "stranger?"  It's about the feels of the stranger over what a......"a reasonable person believes."

So......most cops are suppose to be reasonable.  If the cop was "reasonable."    This would/could/should have been decided by the investigating cop.   But, being that a felony is being claimed.  Well, somethimes it spirals out of control.   Politics....yes, it matters.  And, cops can be TARDS too.  However, I'm not saying at this point, that the arrest is stupid.

But, we also need to look at the factors, such as:

1) How was the stranger dressed?   uniform, clearly visibale logo from "whatever", ID badge visable?
2) Did the stranger say?  I'm from the government, etc...
3) What time of day is it?
4) History of the neighborhood? The article was helpful in that respect.
5) Did the homeowner have posted signs?  No trespassing, etc...

Anyway....it appears that this will be an interesting case for the residents of that community.

*This felony menacing statute......was probably written with the circumstance of being "in public" vs. in a person's own home...defending his life and property.  If the statute was written/published with a "Commentary Section" more insight could be gained.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do too.

Mine is not always in a holster, but not in plain sight either.

I live in a fucked up neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Needs one of these, High Noon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh for fuck sake
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
That is disgusting.    People should not be knocking on one's door any way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
" Chapman said he kept the gun pointed down when he told the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department inspector to leave. The inspector claims Chapman pointed the gun at his chest." Misleading headline is misleading.
View Quote

Inspector should be arrested for trespassing and abuse of power by a public official.    Get off my lawn!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...he is well within his rights to answer his door carrying, the fact he may have brandished it in a threatening manner seems to be where the problem is.

Quoted:
I automatically assume that the local.gov official here is a lying sack of crap.  Chances are he is a panty waist liberal who was so scared by seeing a pistol, and knew that answering to door with it is not a crime, so a simple lie gets him the results (and "victim" status) that he wants... and everyone else will think twice before messing with a local "G-man".

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]
So is he innocent till proven guilty or since gov is involved does he have to prove he did not do it?  Who carries the burden of proof?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I didn't read the article but did he answer the door with a gun in his hand or in a holster?  I usually have a gun in a holster when I answer the door.  But having it in your hand is a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't read the article but did he answer the door with a gun in his hand or in a holster?  I usually have a gun in a holster when I answer the door.  But having it in your hand is a different story.

I neither sleep with a holster on nor wear one with my gym shorts while watching TV or browsing the internet.      But, I always have a gun next to me and carry one from room to room.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He got arrested because the inspector said the home owner pointed the gun at him.
View Quote

That was after the inspector threatened to rape him, his wife, and children.    I am certain.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Inspector should be arrested for trespassing and abuse of power by a public official.    Get off my lawn!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
" Chapman said he kept the gun pointed down when he told the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department inspector to leave. The inspector claims Chapman pointed the gun at his chest." Misleading headline is misleading.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah,

Unless I know you or I'm expecting someone, especially at night, I'm not answering the door.

If you make it in, good luck.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't answer the door at night unless I'm expecting someone or there's a marked police car in front and I've called 911 to confirm.  And I never answer the door at all without a pistol in my hand...held out of sight of course.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!    A rare photo of me without my head shaved.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppose you answer the door and the bad guy rushes you. Do you really want your gun in the holster?  Kind of a moot point if you ask me. If your walking to the door armed, might as well make it worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So is he innocent till proven guilty or since gov is involved does he have to prove he did not do it?  Who carries the burden of proof?
View Quote

What are arrests based on?  What are convictions based on?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suppose you answer the door and the bad guy rushes you. Do you really want your gun in the holster?  Kind of a moot point if you ask me. If your walking to the door armed, might as well make it worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have a gun and holster for a few hours after getting home from work.  I eventually take it off.  Then if someone rings the bell, I answer it.  No gun needed.  But I don't live in the hood or anything.  If someone rang my door bell late at night, I would grab a gun to answer it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top