Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2019 10:08:15 AM EDT
https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/manufacturing-is-now-smallest-share-of-u-s-economy-in-72-years

Manufacturing made up 11% of gross domestic product in the second quarter, the smallest share in data going back to 1947 and down from 11.1% in the prior period, a Commerce Department report showed Tuesday. Figures before 2005 were for full years only.

States like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that helped him win in 2016 are now losing factory jobs amid a persistent trade war with China and a weaker global economy.

Trump approval rating down to 40%. GDP growth 1.9% (China 6%). No wall. Bump stock ban. Support of suppressor ban. Trouble on the horizon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread will go well
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Bloomberg?  sigh.

ETA: If people believe this and don't see the subtext and the context, along with manipulation of statistics... oh well, they were going to vote democrat anyway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol. We’re booming. Big corporate is down but niche is kicking ass because... large ship vs speed boat.

Skewed data sets for the doom and gloomers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#4]
gotta try and get some rust belt states somehow....problem is all the people in manufacturing are too busy to read bloomberg
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
OP is a rube.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bloomberg?  sigh.

ETA: If people believe this and don't see the subtext and the context, along with manipulation of statistics... oh well, they were going to vote democrat anyway.
View Quote
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/business/economy/manufacturing-economy-slowdown.html

Edit: report from commerce department: https://www.bea.gov/news/2019/gross-domestic-product-industry-second-quarter-2019
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/business/economy/manufacturing-economy-slowdown.html
View Quote
Oh, the NYT!

Well sure, I believe it NOW!  Shit, why didn't you say so!  ??

ETA: For the OP in his native language.  A message of hope for him.

????????????????????,????????50??????????????
Wo xiwàng máozédong zhuyì zhe nénggòu wèi nín yíngdé xià yi jiè dàxuan, yinci nín bù huì yinwèi zài 50 fen jun zhong wèi néng luxíng zhízé ér bèi chujué.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Double
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]
OP is a Never Trumper. I checked he’s on the list.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Service economy what now?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I voted for the man. Even attended his inauguration.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#12]
We grew at 1.9% in a expected recession, we are doing just fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh, the NYT!

Wo xiwàng máozédong zhuyì zhe nénggòu wèi nín yíngdé xià yi jiè dàxuan, yinci nín bù huì yinwèi zài 50 fen jun zhong wèi néng luxíng zhízé ér bèi chujué.
View Quote
Okay, report from Commerce Department:
https://www.bea.gov/news/2019/gross-domestic-product-industry-second-quarter-2019
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Facts are facts, This is the greatest economy & presidential administration this country has ever seen. You are a communist if you believe otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#15]
ITT OP once again outs himself as a chicken little.

We just need some goldline posts to complete this one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#16]
When a Republican is in Office, Liberals do everything that they can to destroy the Economy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pure propaganda.

Not worth unraveling.
View Quote
How dare the Commerce Department release a report that shows a decline in manufacturing!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
China GDP growth at 6% is a lie.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#21]
democrats are busy undermining his trade policies and promise to make great changes that favor other nations after they impeach Trump, why is this so frigging hard to understand ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never Trump, we get it.

We got you three years ago during the election too.

It's possible that there are so many jobs going without people that manufacturing is hurting due to the record unemployment numbers.
View Quote
Uh, no? I voted for Trump and went to his inauguration. I supported him in the primary as well.

How did you "get me"?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like manufacturing becoming more efficient.

Agriculture became a much smaller share of our economy a few years back, because we got really good at it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How dare the Commerce Department release a report that shows a decline in manufacturing!
View Quote
How dare the f****** FBI manufacture a coup that showed he was working with Russia?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP is a rube.
View Quote
I’d say more of a ShareBlue sleeper cell, but that’s JMHO
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Industrial Production - 100 Year Historical Chart

Look at the chart on this link
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Outsourcing increases profit but is bad for employment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/manufacturing-is-now-smallest-share-of-u-s-economy-in-72-years

Manufacturing made up 11% of gross domestic product in the second quarter, the smallest share in data going back to 1947 and down from 11.1% in the prior period, a Commerce Department report showed Tuesday. Figures before 2005 were for full years only.

States like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that helped him win in 2016 are now losing factory jobs amid a persistent trade war with China and a weaker global economy.

Trump approval rating down to 40%. GDP growth 1.9% (China 6%). No wall. Bump stock ban. Support of suppressor ban. Trouble on the horizon.
View Quote

So OP why did you include this?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pure propaganda.

Not worth unraveling.
Doesn’t break out manufacturing in that report.

As well, I’d like to see a break down of manufacturing.  You had some pretty big hitters going into a slow down.  Boeing, GM, most defense manufacturers are slowing down due to the fact we’re pulling out of wars finally.  Their subsidiaries will be slowing down.

Flip side your report did show that mining and utilities are on the up and up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I voted for a guy who wouldn't implement gun control and who would build a wall. Instead we have seen backdoor gun control and migrant surges.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I voted for a guy who wouldn't implement gun control and who would build a wall. Instead we have seen backdoor gun control and migrant surges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your agenda is showing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
How big a share of the economy should it be?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.bea.gov/news/2019/gross-domestic-product-industry-second-quarter-2019
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the NYT!

Very first paragraph that you posted. "Professional, scientific, and technical services; real estate and rental and leasing; and mining were the leading contributors to the increase in U.S. economic growth in the second quarter of 2019, according to gross domestic product (GDP) by industry statistics released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The private goods- and services-producing industries, as well as the government sector, contributed to the increase. Overall, 14 of 22 industry groups contributed to the 2.0 percent increase in real GDP in the second quarter."
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#35]
It's hard to believe anything one reads these days.  Data is always cherry picked to support what ever the author's agenda is.  For all you know, the report represents the manufacturing of rotary dial telephones!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#36]
All I know is orders from the smaller machine shops are up. This tends to indicate a solid manufacturing base.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who writes the laws? Who controls funding?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Trump can’t be held accountable for any number of his failed promises. The blame lies solely at congresses feet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#39]
American manufacture no beaucoup because lazy worker.

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Definition of "Never Trumper":
 A Republican that stands by conservative ideals.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Our nation has one single person fighting against our corrupt congress douche bags and the rest of the globalists, if your too ignorant to realize that our President is fighting to restore American jobs then maybe the internet just isn’t for you....
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Definition of "Never Trumper":
 A Republican that stands by conservative ideals.
View Quote
Too bad the party gave up on that, sorry for your loss...

If they hadn’t, they would’ve green lighted the entire Trump agenda while they had both houses eh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our nation has one single person fighting against our corrupt congress douche bags and the rest of the globalists, if your too ignorant to realize that our President is fighting to restore American jobs then maybe the internet just isn’t for you....
View Quote
Trump is our light on the hill.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trolling I see?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, you and Bloomberg either fail to understand the report or are merely spouting propaganda. The report doesn't show that manufacturing has decreased in our country at all.

What you and Bloomberg are citing is table 5a of the report "Value added by Industry Group as a percentage of GDP". If you look at the previous table 5, you'll see that overall GDP has increased again this quarter. So why in table 5a did manufacturing shrink by 0.1% in the second quarter?

Because table 5a shows all industry groups as a share of 100%. Manufacturing decreased by 0.1 % because other sectors increased their share of GDP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Everyone I know in manufacturing (which is a lot of people/companies) is slammed.

One factor that I have observed is that many shops are now doing the same work with 13-18 people that they used to do with 24-30 people. Parts are cheaper to make, as well. The net result is higher volume at a lower cost, so I would not be at all surprised to learn than total productivity is higher, even though the percentage of GDP may be down.

Also, boosts to other sectors would naturally decrease percentage of GDP for manufacturing, even if manufacturing stayed consistent.

I say this as someone who was opposed to the tariffs and expected a more significant impact. I was wrong and I can admit it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm surprised you can fit so much bullshit into so few words. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, you and Bloomberg either fail to understand the report or are merely spouting propaganda. The report does show that manufacturing has decreased in our country at all.

What you and Bloomberg are citing is table 5a of the report "Value added by Industry Group as a percentage of GDP". If you look at the previous table 5, you'll see that overall GDP has increased again this quarter. So why in table 5a did manufacturing shrink by 0.1% in the second quarter?

Because table 5a shows all industry groups as a share of 100%. Manufacturing decreased by 0.1 % because other sectors increased their share of GDP.
View Quote
So all sectors grew, only shrinking manufacturing by 1% of total GDP.... where’s my chicken little meme?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top