Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2022 9:25:50 AM EDT
Is some good stuff.

Why in the fuck would anyone want that fake flavored corn syrup?

Setting here enjoying some stuffed french toast my girlfriend made, topped with 100% pure maple syrup.
Do not care if it is a little more expensive, it is 100% worth it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics of French toast and GF not loading.
ETA I agree by the way.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in Vermont. Real Maple Syrup or nothing.

Brown sugary corn syrup needs to be forgotten already.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
We have rules here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Concur.

Pure maple sugar candy is awesome too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the time where I prefer the "fake" stuff. Every time I bought "real" syrup it was super runny. Might as well pour sugary brown food colored water on the pancakes or waffles.

I like it to run like a little bit like molasses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I grew up in kansas and i agree
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
We make our own. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s a pretty localized product compared to many food stuffs.

Keep in mind that for the majority of its production, it was had taps and buckets collection.
Not the modernized planted stands of sugar maple with gravity lines, etc.
And it still takes tending a boiler averaging around 35 gallons of sap evaporated into one gallon of syrup.

So, keep in mind the team of horses, sled, buckets, taps, labor, firewood, tending, etc. historically that went into each gallon.

So, while it may be 40$ a gallon now, still far costlier than substitutes,
It was say 35$ a gallon in the 60s/70s/80s.

More like the equivalent of 200 dollars a gallon on today’s dollars.

If you were not in an area that produced it and tied into a production cost only supply, keeping it an expensive staple, it was a very costly item to keep in supply.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother in law and I make enough for our families.  

If we don’t have enough, we buy it from some friends.  Quite a few people in my area do small scale maple syrup production.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have this waiting for when my syrup is done

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Syrup belongs in the fridge
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I had some of my own this morning.

It’s delicious, but it’s a bunch of work and not cost effective at all.

Still, I make it.

And my buddy made a batch of maple brown beer with some…….
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#14]
had too much as a kid.

we were poor, but had maple trees, so candy was always maple candy and oatmeal always had maple syrup. basically if it was sweet, it was maple.

I prefer honey now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Home made.
Now I bet that IS some good stuff!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I have relatives that work / have worked at Kent Brothers Pure Maple Syrup, Fairisle Maple Products, and Bonz Beach Farms no corn syrup based crap is allowed anywhere under my roof.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have this waiting for when my syrup is done

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/272736/20221120_065502-2607251.jpg
View Quote

I saw that at the store and was curious about it.
Let us know how it is!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Let us know how it is!
View Quote

I have had a similar one before. Just a touch of whiskey flavor but i liked it. The wife wanted regular
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Isn't all purchased mapele syrup fake?  Basically they mix it with corn syrup or whatever then sell it as mapele syrup, the same way they do olive oil?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn't all purchased mapele syrup fake?  Basically they mix it with corn syrup or whatever then sell it as mapele syrup, the same way they do olive oil?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that for the majority of its production, it was had taps and buckets collection.
And it still takes tending a boiler averaging around 35 gallons of sap evaporated into one gallon of syrup.

So, keep in mind the team of horses, sled, buckets, taps, labor, firewood, tending, etc. historically that went into each gallon.

That's how my father did.  Horse drawn sledge, buckets hanging from spyles/taps, wood fired evaporator.  For personal use he preferred the first runs which were clearer.  Buyers preferred the darker batches.  Sugar sand (sugar coated sand filtered out of the syrup) was sometimes fed to unsuspecting town kids.  He was often disappointed by the modern production as not boiled down enough.

You know, maple sugar was sometimes referred to as 'free sugar' meaning its production did not use slave labor as did southern cane sugar.

If you were not in an area that produced it and tied into a production cost only supply, keeping it an expensive staple, it was a very costly item to keep in supply.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No

Location checks out as does username
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's how my father did.  Horse drawn sledge, buckets hanging from spyles/taps, wood fired evaporator.  For personal use he preferred the first runs which were clearer.  Buyers preferred the darker batches.  Sugar sand (sugar coated sand filtered out of the syrup) was sometimes fed to unsuspecting town kids.  He was often disappointed by the modern production as not boiled down enough.

You know, maple sugar was sometimes referred to as 'free sugar' meaning its production did not use slave labor as did southern cane sugar.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Most people just don't know any better. French toast and such have been introduced globally, but accompanied by the easier to distribute and store fake stuff. I'm in South America at the moment and these poor souls seem to only have artificially-flavored syrup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Home made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home made.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

my buddies place in VT.. my kids getting a taste of the first warm batch, got to ride on the 9n and collect the sap.. play in the mud and streams.. was a good day
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want a real treat sometime, head up to Quebec where they make Maple Syrup Pie. Good stuff!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#27]
We do it on a tiny scale. Only ten buckets and a converted drum setup fired by leftover slabs from the mill.

Enough to keep the kids happy though

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We do it on a tiny scale. Only ten buckets and a converted drum setup fired by leftover slabs from the mill.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26478/IMG_2631_jpg-2607297.JPG
View Quote

that's how i did it as a yoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
100% pure maple syrup labeled products are not mixed with anything.

There is a whole industry of “maple”, maple flavored, etc. Syrups out there which is probably what you are referring to.

A product labeled as 100% maple syrup but had been mixed with corn syrup would be extremely obvious to someone accustomed to real maple syrup.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]
dayum, y'all some rich muthef#ckers around here...

hekk yeah it's good,  but who can afford it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Life is too short for the fake stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#32]
We started with 50 taps and now will make around 550-600 gallons this year. It’s been fun. It’s a perfect bridge from winter to warm weather.

We sell just enough to pay the expenses and then give the rest away.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#33]

The roads, terrain, and stone walls paint the perfect picture of some authentic Vermont maple syrup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26478/IMG_2631_jpg-2607297.JPG
View Quote

How much does that make?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything else is sweetened ear wax.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How much does that make?
View Quote

I boiled 60 gallons this spring and got just a shade over a gallon and a half of syrup in my home setup.

I also gave 10 gallons of sap to my buddy for beer, and I lost 10 gallons to a bear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How much does that make?
View Quote
Maybe 5 (Asked the wife and she said it was closer to 3) gallons if we stay on top of it and it's running really well. Takes an awful lot of sap and time. It's fun though.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is some good stuff.

Setting here enjoying some stuffed french toast my girlfriend made, topped with 100% pure maple syrup.
View Quote

A little more expensive?

Try a lot.  That's why people eat the fake stuff.

And while I love maple syrup on my FT, I actually prefer the fake stuff on waffles or pancakes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is the time where I prefer the "fake" stuff. Every time I bought "real" syrup it was super runny. Might as well pour sugary brown food colored water on the pancakes or waffles.

View Quote

Just boil it down a little more.
Use a candy thermometer.    You want to be 7F above boiling at your altitude.   There are tables you can look up to see what water boiling temp is for your elevation.   For me it's about 217F
When it starts to form a heavy frothy set of bubbles, lift it off the stove immediately
Whoever bottled it probably didn't take it down far enough.   Time is money.  And a little more volume for them to bottle.

I've been collecting sap and making my own for about ten years.  Tougher to do on my own now that my Dad is gone.   But a real evaporator pan sure has helped cut the time down, and I don't tap as many trees anymore either.  
Used to give a lot away.
I need to build a wood fired arch though.  Will be too expensive with propane now.  Maybe next season.  I bought this arch before my Dad died, he never got to use it.  He loved doing this stuff,kept him busy.   It’s pretty slick and sized right for the hobbyist.   It was from Badgerland Maple Work.  
As I did it with two camp chef stoves, definitely not cost efficient

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is some good stuff.

View Quote

I'm not going back. I also use less of it. Just a drizzle is enough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have had a similar one before. Just a touch of whiskey flavor but i liked it. The wife wanted regular
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know how it is!

I have a bourbon barrel maple syrup here in the cabinet. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No.

There is a whole industry of “maple”, maple flavored, etc. Syrups out there which is probably what you are referring to.

A product labeled as 100% maple syrup but had been mixed with corn syrup would be extremely obvious to someone accustomed to real maple syrup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

I wouldn't trust anything not sold by a small time producer.   Certainly nothing from a big box store as being "pure"
Just like many olive oils are cut extensively with canola/rape seed oil.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File
I made my own last year.  Only ended up with about 1/2 gallon. Upping production slightly and hoping for 1-1/2 gallons this year.  I do need to boil it slightly longer as it was on the thin side.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Big business.

Anyone remember the great Canadian Syrup Heist of 2012?

Quebec's "Strategic Maple Reserve" was siphoned and replaced with water

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Imagine that, whenever pancake syrup was invented. "it doesn't flow like the real stuff, who is going to buy this crap?" LOL.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#50]
There are probably rules governing the labeling of 100% pure maple syrup; I feel confident that it's pure when I buy it.  My old neighbor used to make his own and keep us supplied but after we moved we started getting the Costco stuff.  As a kid all we ever had was  stuff like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth, etc.  and I could never go back.  

In Canada there is a cartel/mafia that controls maple syrup and people find out when they fuck around.

Quebec’s maple syrup “marketing board” first made big news in 2012 when the culprits of an $18 million maple syrup heist (really) from the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve (really) were caught by provincial police. (See the whole story in a feature film, coming soon, starring Jason Segel — ...really.) The board is making news again thanks to recent crackdowns on producers who want to sell syrup outside its control.
View Quote

Link to article
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top