Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about my service?  I played CoD MW and Arma2 last night!!!!
View Quote
In the absence of useful TTPs and lecturing on how combat really is, I'm afraid your service isn't of much value.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of the Colt barrel tests where they shot an M4 and M4A1 barrel to destruction. The M4 barrel popped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9uny8aCoLc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your thinking of IG88's video, he popped a barrel because it was a lighter weight profile made from stainless steel.  A 4150 barrel probably wouldn't have popped.  A heavier barrel wouldn't have blown.  The danger zone for bursting a barrel is probably 4+ combat loads fired without a break.  I'll take a slightly improved gas tube and not worry about the barrel.
I'm thinking of the Colt barrel tests where they shot an M4 and M4A1 barrel to destruction. The M4 barrel popped.

The M4 barrel ruptured because the thin/pencil profile before the gas block wasn't designed to handle sustained automatic fire.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your G3 is actually shorter than an M16A2.  The barrel is 18 inches VS 20.

I have actually done dry runs through my house with it and my other rifles and it is far, far, far easier to maneuver through doorways than the other 7.62 NATO fenceposts.

That is truly the biggest advantage it has over the standard FAL and M-14 and yet you never mention it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever hitched a ride in an MT-LB while carrying a G3?

It was horrible.
Your G3 is actually shorter than an M16A2.  The barrel is 18 inches VS 20.

I have actually done dry runs through my house with it and my other rifles and it is far, far, far easier to maneuver through doorways than the other 7.62 NATO fenceposts.

That is truly the biggest advantage it has over the standard FAL and M-14 and yet you never mention it.
I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, 2.5 combat loads for the old barrel and 4+ before the gas tube goes on the M4A1.  I would like to see retesting done with the M4A1 barrel and D60 drums.  Do it once each with a standard, Inconel and nitride tube.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course, 18 inch FAL FTW!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned it.
I’ve never tried any of the short barrelled FALs. I’m thinking a 16” barrel would be tits.

The G3 is still superior though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The M4 barrel ruptured because the thin/pencil profile before the gas block wasn't designed to handle sustained automatic fire.
View Quote
... Yeah. Am I missing something?

How does that effect what I said about it being better for the gas tube to fail first?

I'm advocating for a heavier barrel, and the same gas tube. I believe this to be safer than other available configurations.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never tried any of the short barrelled FALs. I'm thinking a 16" barrel would be tits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it.
I've never tried any of the short barrelled FALs. I'm thinking a 16" barrel would be tits.

G3 is superior for anchoring of small boat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, 2.5 combat loads for the old barrel and 4+ before the gas tube goes on the M4A1.  I would like to see retesting done with the M4A1 barrel and D60 drums.  Do it once each with a standard, Inconel and nitride tube.
View Quote
I think that testing with D60 drums would give us better context, and better data, but I still think the principle of "gas tube should melt before barrel detonates" is a valid one.

I would be curious to see how an Inconel and a nitride tube would do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How does that effect what I said about it being better for the gas tube to fail first?

I'm advocating for a heavier barrel, and the same gas tube. I believe this to be safer than other available configurations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are arguing to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*click*
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now you're gonna piss off the Swede.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then why did SOCOM move to the M4A1 barrel if the M4 barrels weren't bursting?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think that testing with D60 drums would give us better context, and better data, but I still think the principle of "gas tube should melt before barrel detonates" is a valid one.

I would be curious to see how an Inconel and a nitride tube would do.
View Quote
I like the idea of reducing barrel weight and increasing gas tube strength/design until your gas tube fuse is just shorter than your barrel rupture.  I also prefer a tapered barrel and I'm not opposed to heatsinks or using the aluminum rail as a heat sink.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the idea of reducing barrel weight and increasing gas tube strength/design until your gas tube fuse is just shorter than your barrel rupture.  I also prefer a tapered barrel and I'm not opposed to heatsinks or using the aluminum rail as a heat sink.
View Quote
Reducing barrel weight, but increasing gas tube strength would accomplish the exact opposite of this, as demonstrated by the video I posted.

The M4A1 SOCOM profile barrel solves that issue.

I do think that both a tapered barrel is a good thing. Shift that weight towards the chamber, and the throat where the largest amount of heat build up is. (For the record, I like tapered bores too, and I think that CHF helps with the problem of gas port erosion.)

With regard to heat sinks, the Geissele rail and barrel nut seem to do that well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were treating a carbine as though it was a belt fed.

As logical as wanting to go off roading with a Ford Focus
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's referring to the fact that a barrel bursting, on an HBAR profile, likely wouldn't be a problem, since you would likely need 800+ rounds of sustained automatic fire in a single session. Long term, I'm not so sure if the barrel would burst or that the throat erosion would be so severe that you'd have keyholing and need a barrel replacement anyways.

ETA: And it's very unlikely you'd be treating a carbine as a SAW anyways.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because we do stupid things.  Government profile is retarded.  M4A1 is less retarded.  But still too heavy for what it is.  a lot of folks in the wanat AAR wanted to blame weapons instead of their own incompetence for failures and those lies prompted us to look for solutions to problems that weren't real.

It wasn't burst M4 barrels that prompted the switch
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think he's referring to the fact that a barrel bursting, on an HBAR profile, likely wouldn't be a problem, since you would likely need 800+ rounds of sustained automatic fire in a single session. Long term, I'm not so sure if the barrel would burst or that the throat erosion would be so severe that you'd have keyholing and need a barrel replacement anyways.

ETA: And it's very unlikely you'd be treating a carbine as a SAW anyways.
View Quote
I think you're right, but at that point, why would you need a stronger gas tube? You're re-introducing a known safety risk for... what gain?

Does anybody even know what round count an M4A1 barrel will burst at?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its definitely safer for the gas tube to go first, but since we are talking in extremes, another thing to consider is a situation like the Ranch House incident. Is it safer to blow your gas tube and not take barrel shrapnel to the face, or to be able to put an extra who knows how many rounds downrange while you're getting overtaken, until the barrel goes?

I guess that depends who and what else is still left around yoh in that situation. But id rather my weapon could handle more rounds before catastrophic failure than a safety blanket of blowing a gas tube instead of a barrel.  Especially if its something as simple as an inconel gas tube, who's only real con is the barrel may go before it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because we do stupid things.  Government profile is retarded.  M4A1 is less retarded.  But still too heavy for what it is.  a lot of folks in the wanat AAR wanted to blame weapons instead of their own incompetence for failures and those lies prompted us to look for solutions to problems that weren't real.

View Quote
According to Chris Bartocci, SOCOM moved to the M4A1 profile because their abusive firing schedule was popping barrels. I don't know if that was full auto or what.

A few authors have mentioned that.

I may be out of my element here, and I trust your experience and such, but that's what I've read/heard from a guy who worked for Colt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its definitely safer for the gas tube to go first, but since we are talking in extremes, another thing to consider is a situation like the Ranch House incident. Is it safer to blow your gas tube and not take barrel shrapnel to the face, or to be able to put an extra who knows how many rounds downrange while you're getting overtaken, until the barrel goes?

I guess that depends who and what else is still left around yoh in that situation. But id rather my weapon could handle more rounds before catastrophic failure than a safety blanket of blowing a gas tube instead of a barrel.  Especially if its something as simple as an inconel gas tube, who's only real con is the barrel may go before it.
View Quote
A melted gas tube results in a weapon that can still be ran as a bolt action.

Popped barrel results in possible operator injury, and no gun at all.

But you're right; we're talking in extremes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Reducing barrel weight, but increasing gas tube strength would accomplish the exact opposite of this, as demonstrated by the video I posted.

The M4A1 SOCOM profile barrel solves that issue.

I do think that both a tapered barrel is a good thing. Shift that weight towards the chamber, and the throat where the largest amount of heat build up is. (For the record, I like tapered bores too, and I think that CHF helps with the problem of gas port erosion.)

With regard to heat sinks, the Geissele rail and barrel nut seem to do that well.
View Quote
Right, but I think the current barrel would keep going for quite awhile if the current gas tube hadn't popped.  IE, it's heavier than needed now.  Realistically, the gas tube is probably fine, but it might turn out differently with drums.  Nitride solves the corrosion issue that happens with traditional gas tubes from being ran red hot.  The SS looses quite a bit of it's corrosion resistance after a beta mag.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Right, but I think the current barrel would keep going for quite awhile if the current gas tube hadn't popped.  IE, it's heavier than needed now.  Realistically, the gas tube is probably fine, but it might turn out differently with drums.  Nitride solves the corrosion issue that happens with traditional gas tubes from being ran red hot.  The SS looses quite a bit of it's corrosion resistance after a beta mag.
View Quote
That's interesting. I was unaware of the rust issue, but that makes sense. Do you have any pictures or data on that or anything?

I believe you, but I would like to see some specifics if that information is available.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

According to Chris Bartocci, SOCOM moved to the M4A1 profile because their abusive firing schedule was popping barrels. I don't know if that was full auto or what.

I may be out of my element here, and I trust your experience and such, but that's what I've read/heard from a guy who worked for Colt.
View Quote
I am not SOCOM so they may have been busting barrels, but if they were, it was just over shooting during training.  IN poguey mcpogueland it wasn't.

I ain't cool enough to shoot 2K rounds a day or whatever their schedules are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am not SOCOM so they may have been busting barrels, but if they were, it was just over shooting during training.  IN poguey mcpogueland it wasn't.

View Quote
But in the IAR context, wouldn't this issue be introduced to regular infantry guys?

Suppose we're talking about a DI IAR.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I was unaware of the rust issue, but that makes sense. Do you have any pictures or data on that or anything?

I believe you, but I would like to see some specifics if that information is available.
View Quote
Just a personal experience
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
*click*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*click*
I've missed this ^

And also:

G3>FAL>M14

Fact

Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Elements of SOCOM were going far beyond the design parameters. And then said the gun sucked, while conventional forces had zero issues. One of those rare cases where Big Army outsmarted their SOCOM counter parts.

I know SF is smart, they treat their carbines and rifles like they were intended to use. They very rarely train with FA. So I'm guessing the dumbass SEALs is at fault,  but that's a guess.

It's why SOCOM got that stupid FN SCAR.

But yeah,  you are correct with the source.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you used a melonited gas tube or inconel?

V7 makes one that's commercially available.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The FAL has better erg and a smoother recoil impulse.  I am not a fan of shorter than 18 inch in a 7.62 NATO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve never tried any of the short barrelled FALs. I’m thinking a 16” barrel would be tits.

The FAL has better erg and a smoother recoil impulse.  I am not a fan of shorter than 18 inch in a 7.62 NATO.
Recoil is good, it makes you strong like a proper Teutonic übermensch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#35]

This is my source for the SOCOM issues, in case anybody is curious.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Elements of SOCOM were going far beyond the design parameters. And then said the gun sucked, while conventional forces had zero issues. One of those rare cases where Big Army outsmarted their SOCOM counter parts.

I know SF is smart, they treat their carbines and rifles like they were intended to use. They very rarely train with FA. So I'm guessing the dumbass SEALs is at fault,  but that's a guess.

It's why SOCOM got that stupid FN SCAR.

But yeah,  you are correct with the source.
View Quote
I agree with those things. (Granted the result was an improved M4, which is always good.)

But the context of this discussion is the IAR, which DOES involve using the M4 platform like a machine gun, which makes this relevant for big Army.

A poster before mentioned what they'd view as the ideal IAR, which omits the external piston and uses DI. He mentioned a stronger gas tube, and I disagree(d) with that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has always been a racial component to fusilology, but nobody wants to talk about it because the weak minded inevitably become uncomfortable with the troof.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
But in the IAR context, wouldn't this issue be introduced to regular infantry guys?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but why have everyone have an IAR capable barrel when the majority of the people aren't ARs?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use Spikes melonited tubes on all my pseudo auto uppers now.  I had corrosion issues on a regular tube after doing a beta dump on a friends M16 lower.  Since then I pretty much use melonited tubes all the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes, but why have everyone have an IAR capable barrel when the majority of the people aren't ARs?
View Quote
Well I'm not saying everybody, I was talking IAR specific. I'm not qualified to talk about mass issue, but mechanical stuff I have a little bit of background in. (Some mechanical engineering courses in college.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I use.

Let's say the standard gas tube was designed to fail just before the barrel. This would be on the original M16 and M16A1, right? What about on the M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, 607, XM177, XM177E1, XM177E2, 653, 723, 727, 733, M4, M4A1, CQBR, etc.? These barrels have the exact same design of gas tube yet have different barrel profiles, lengths, gas port diameters, and gas port lengths. It surely isn't optimal for all of those, right?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's what I use.

Let's say the standard gas tube was designed to fail just before the barrel. This would be on the original M16 and M16A1, right? What about on the M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, 607, XM177, XM177E1, XM177E2, 653, 723, 727, 733, M4, M4A1, CQBR, etc.? These barrels have the exact same design of gas tube yet have different barrel profiles, lengths, gas port diameters, and gas port lengths. It surely isn't optimal for all of those, right?
View Quote
I agree and believe that further testing needs to be done.

I'm mostly arguing for the principle of the gas tube being a safety device.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd really like to see apples to apples comparisons between different barrel profiles. All the same barrel material, barrel length, and gas port length, same manufacturer, and chrome lined (preferably FN CHF barrels). All the same upper, BCG, gas tube, and rail.

Something like 30 round mag full auto, 10 seconds to change mag, repeat until failure.

After that, I'd redo it with an Inconel gas tube.

I don't have a full auto lower and can't afford to do this testing myself, but am willing to donate to the cause.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAJ Myers was my neighbor and boss.

We talked about Wanat and location of the OP was the major problem. He was the only guy I ever knew who got a LOR and a Silver Star.

He beat the LOR
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't think the M27 will ever be in service to all.
View Quote
Grunts and some others.

POGs don't count... erbody know dat
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not sold on the Surefire/Armwest solution as opposed to the LMT solution. Theirs has more components, proprietary components, and doesn't modify unlocking at all from what I've seen. They also didn't do anything about the bolt either.

I'd rather see the LMT solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something missing from the IAR discussion, is whether the M27 is actually good as a full auto weapon.

From the Marine's own video with Gunner Wade, at 80m off the bipod, the M27 is shooting off target by the 3rd round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18kXkuoA014

This is not exactly inspiring performance, especially when you compare it to a dedicated IAR like the Ultimax 100 and it's constant recoil system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1zQuWpsYZY

Ideally, we should upgrade the M4A1's to M4A3 (the URG-1 improvements + the Armwest/Surefire developed reduced rate of fire bolt design to drop ROF to 600rpm) and then issue either the KAC LMG or Ultimax 100 to replace the M249.
I'm not sold on the Surefire/Armwest solution as opposed to the LMT solution. Theirs has more components, proprietary components, and doesn't modify unlocking at all from what I've seen. They also didn't do anything about the bolt either.

I'd rather see the LMT solution.
The LMT is a superb bolt, but it does not reduce the rate of fire, which is of central importance.

The SF bolt drops ROF from 850rpm to 580rpm - below the 600rpm found in the French study to offer optimal controllability - as well as greatly improving firing time in full auto for a given mag capacity.

In the Marine's study, full auto has a 50% improvement in hit rate against moving targets vs semi auto - which is why full auto optimization is important:

"Well, about a year ago, the United States Marine Corps (USMC) gunner community approached Bill Geissele about a selector switch issue they were having on their guns (M4 Carbines). Basically, they’ve been getting a 40% hit rate in the semi-auto-fire mode on moving targets exposed for 2.2 seconds while moving at 10 mph at a distance of 50-150 yards, and it was taking too long to flip the happy switch over to full-auto, where they can get 60% hits, which is a whopping 50% improvement."

http://www.defensereview.com/geissele-automatics-high-speed-selector-drop-in-spring-loaded-45-degree-instant-onoff-ambi-ambidextrous-full-auto-ar-selector-switch-and-super-select-fire-ssf-full-auto-trigger-kit-for-more-hits/
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#48]
You really want 500RPM for an assault MG. That is the sweat spot, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The LMT is a superb bolt, but it does not reduce the rate of fire, which is of central importance.

The SF bolt drops ROF from 850rpm to 580rpm - below the 600rpm found in the French study to offer optimal controllability - as well as greatly improving firing time in full auto for a given mag capacity.

In the Marine's study, full auto has a 50% improvement in hit rate against moving targets vs semi auto - which is why full auto optimization is important:

"Well, about a year ago, the United States Marine Corps (USMC) gunner community approached Bill Geissele about a selector switch issue they were having on their guns (M4 Carbines). Basically, they’ve been getting a 40% hit rate in the semi-auto-fire mode on moving targets exposed for 2.2 seconds while moving at 10 mph at a distance of 50-150 yards, and it was taking too long to flip the happy switch over to full-auto, where they can get 60% hits, which is a whopping 50% improvement."

http://www.defensereview.com/geissele-automatics-high-speed-selector-drop-in-spring-loaded-45-degree-instant-onoff-ambi-ambidextrous-full-auto-ar-selector-switch-and-super-select-fire-ssf-full-auto-trigger-kit-for-more-hits/
View Quote
Bolt and bolt carrier combination, the bolt carrier being debatably more important.

The longer cam track, and better gas venting absolutely has an effect on cyclic rate.

I'm not talking about controllability on full auto. I'm talking about durability, and reliability, primarily.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
MAJ Myers was my neighbor and boss.

We talked about Wanat and location of the OP was the major problem. He was the only guy I ever knew who got a LOR and a Silver Star.

He beat the LOR
View Quote
He failed basic Ranger shit.

LP/OP is 2-3 men and designed to die to save the main body.  He wanted his LP/OP to be able to survive.  All he did was get more men killed.

Compassion in lieu of tactical soundness.  Of course, the whole concept of the tethered goat COPs in the middle of a fucking valley is its own problem.

When you have to earn a SS to unfuck the tactical situation you find yourself in, thats a problem.

You don't get a medal when everything goes right anymore.

The more you fail, the more heroism you have to exhibit to get yourself out of the situation you find yourself in.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top