BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 1985 an F15 (in the first test of the missile) launched an air to space missile that left the rail at around 36,000 ft. and took out a satellite 2,000 miles away with a terminal speed of 15,000 mph.  

What is the speed of a hypersonic missile?  How far do the Chinese/Russian missiles travel?

And, our missile program was shut down because they felt the Russians would be upset about us further developing the capabilities to hit things in space using F15's.

We may not have anything today.  Then again, we may and no one is talking about it.  So many people believe we've got "near" space ships developed from crashed/captures alien space craft being tested/flown out there at Area 51.  But don't believe we've got hypersonic missiles?
View Quote
Hypersonic missile is one that stays in the atmosphere above mach 5 and maneuvers at speed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Matt_Gaetz_Sucks Says who?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then it is up to the military person to ask for a closed session. I didn't watch the briefing. Did the Admiral say "Sir, I'd be happy to provide you with my input in a closed session."

Second, while I understand that spillage doesn't equal declassification, you're ignoring the oversight responsibility which is pretty broad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Members of Congress generally don't have clearances.  They also don't have the ability to declassify information.  In the case of a spillage, only the OCA has the ability to determine if the spillage warrants the original classification moot and therefore to declassify the information.  Members of congress should be expected to treat classified information appropriately.  Again, spillage doesn't render it unclassified, and neither Gaetz nor any member of congress can make that determination.  If he wants more information, he can request a classified briefing.  Discussing classified information in an uncleared forum, just because it's been released, is ripe for additional spillage of further classified information as anyone with half a brain (including the Admiral) knows.

Then it is up to the military person to ask for a closed session. I didn't watch the briefing. Did the Admiral say "Sir, I'd be happy to provide you with my input in a closed session."

Second, while I understand that spillage doesn't equal declassification, you're ignoring the oversight responsibility which is pretty broad.

Does oversight responsibility allow them to share classified information in open session?

I know they act above the law, but where is his documented?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does oversight responsibility allow them to share classified information in open session?

View Quote
You can grab the documents in a lot of places now.  Worrying about how to treat it at this point is so hilariously laughable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It’s really nobody’s business what capabilities we have or don’t have unless you’re employing them or the CIC.
View Quote

This

That was an inappropriate line of questioning for that forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Members of Congress generally don't have clearances.  They also don't have the ability to declassify information.  In the case of a spillage, only the OCA has the ability to determine if the spillage warrants the original classification moot and therefore to declassify the information.  Members of congress should be expected to treat classified information appropriately.  Again, spillage doesn't render it unclassified, and neither Gaetz nor any member of congress can make that determination.  If he wants more information, he can request a classified briefing.  Discussing classified information in an uncleared forum, just because it's been released, is ripe for additional spillage of further classified information as anyone with half a brain (including the Admiral) knows.

Look up  United States Constitution, Article I, Section 6, Clause 1
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's pretty much what he said.

How so?  I'm agreeing that Gaetz should get the info he seeks; it should just be in a classified session.

Some may view treating leaked info as still classified as trying to put spilled milk back into the container.  I get it, and the rules probably seem silly.  However, someone with a clearance isn't even supposed to acknowledge the leaked information is true or real, let alone discuss it.  In addition to confirming its authenticity, discussing it is ripe for further spillage of additional information, even if unintended.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless they are embezzling the money , we don't have hyper sonics and they tell us we do.
View Quote

$10,000 toilet seats…
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about a detailed Pentagonevery branch, dept and cost center audit?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unless they are embezzling the money , we don't have hyper sonics and they tell us we do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really nobody's business what capabilities we have or don't have unless you're employing them or the CIC.

They're called black budgets for a reason. The billions and trillions we spend on F-35s and Littoral combat ships aren't really going to F-35s and Littoral combat ships. That's why Gaetz is pretending to be pissed off. Are Russias and Chinas hypersonics of concern? Yes. Do we have the ability to deter them in a full-on total war? Probably. Should we be discussing those capabilities? No. If as a military superpower we really don't, we have bigger problems.

Quoted:

I don't disagree with any of that.  Again, if Gaetz wants more info, he should request a classified briefing.

I believe some Members of Congress do possess security clearances, specifically those on intelligence and oversight committees. That doesn't make it alright to discuss it in an open setting, however, as you pointed out. Classified information released into the public domain remains classified until it is declassified by the OCA. With that said, this whole thing wreaks of a controlled disclosure, as several members here have pointed and said, with what appears to be disinformation masquerading as actual intelligence that Gaetz is flaunting around and grilling people on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So no member of Congress has any legal responsibility to protect classified information?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this is a video of Matt Gaetz at a Congressional meeting trying to get a "gotcha" moment in? Like Jim Jordan and the others?

Or is it some deal where he helped pass real legislation?

What has Matt Gaetz actually done?

Not talking about mugging in front of the cameras to get his soundbite in so he can get his face on Fox later.

What is he actually working on? Show me evidence.

I swear half of these guys don't do anything. They just go to some hearing, try to get their "gotcha" moment in, and then leave doing nothing. While the Idiocracy population high fives each other thinking someone got owned. Similar to leaving a WWF/WWE wrestling match thinking your hero owned the bad guys. But instead it's Kabuki theater.

What has he done? He’s informed you and the public of numerous, onerous mishandlings and lies by the government. How much have YOU done with that info to pressure your representatives to join Matt Gaetz since he can’t do this shit by himself?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There's this too:

Leaked Document Shows American Smart Bombs Are Failing In Ukraine

American-made smart bombs are failing in Ukraine, based on successful Russian electronic jamming measures, according to a Pentagon document connected to alleged leaker Jack Teixeira.

Lol Zerohedge…
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're called black budgets for a reason. The billions and trillions we spend on F-35s and Littoral combat ships aren't really going to F-35s and Littoral combat ships. That's why Gaetz is pretending to be pissed off. Are Russias and Chinas hypersonics of concern? Yes. Do we have the ability to deter them in a full-on total war? Probably. Should we be discussing those capabilities? No. If as a military superpower we really don't, we have bigger problems.

I believe some Members of Congress do possess security clearances, specifically those on intelligence and oversight committees. That doesn't make it alright to discuss it in an open setting, however, as you pointed out. Classified information released into the public domain remains classified until it is declassified by the OCA. With that said, this whole thing wreaks of a controlled disclosure, as several members here have pointed and said, with what appears to be disinformation masquerading as actual intelligence that Gaetz is flaunting around and grilling people on.
View Quote

So F-35s are being bought with a black budget percentage added on?  Man they are a great deal in that case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this is a video of Matt Gaetz at a Congressional meeting trying to get a "gotcha" moment in? Like Jim Jordan and the others?

Not talking about mugging in front of the cameras to get his soundbite in so he can get his face on Fox later.

I swear half of these guys don't do anything. They just go to some hearing, try to get their "gotcha" moment in, and then leave doing nothing. While the Idiocracy population high fives each other thinking someone got owned. Similar to leaving a WWF/WWE wrestling match thinking your hero owned the bad guys. But instead it's Kabuki theater.

View Quote

Do you not understand how government works?  They have no individual power.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So F-35s are being bought with a black budget percentage added on?  Man they are a great deal in that case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With software bugs, manufacturing issues, productions delays, and flight problems, the F-35 can be yours for the low price of $300 million per plane.  Act now before inflation is calculated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd have to dig into my olde Congressional oversight papers, but lots of it is within the bounds of a standing committee, like HASC under a broad determination of the Necessary and Proper Clause.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Matt Gaetz just strikes me as a cunt
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
If the admiral said our best Test Pilot  Col. Slim Pickens just rode a hypersonic missile and set a new speed record. I would not question it. Let the Chinese or Russians go nuts trying to interview him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're free to have that opinion.  Someone with a security clearance is not free to have that opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After it's released, publicly available, and already consumed by everyone who is interested in it?

That would look even more stupid. But then again, this entire system is a fraud where only mid-level rubes are punished for violating it.

That it is in the public domain now renders the classification of it moot, and declassifies it as a matter of fact.
You're free to have that opinion.  Someone with a security clearance is not free to have that opinion.

Reality is not an opinion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So no member of Congress has any legal responsibility to protect classified information?
View Quote

They have very broad protections if they can tie their public pronouncement to their duties, in this case, the HASC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They can't do anything without both houses but try and get people fired up to vote more of them in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't do anything without both houses but try and get people fired up to vote more of them in.

There is a large contingent here that doesn’t seem to understand this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Lol so are China and Russia.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Congressman Dumbass knows full well that if they answered his questions publically they would be guilty of leaking classified information. That was classic lowlife acting. All they can say is, "I can neither confirm nor deny..." Keep the enemy guessing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's pretty much what he said.

How so?  I'm agreeing that Gaetz should get the info he seeks; it should just be in a classified session.

Some may view treating leaked info as still classified as trying to put spilled milk back into the container.  I get it, and the rules probably seem silly.  However, someone with a clearance isn't even supposed to acknowledge the leaked information is true or real, let alone discuss it.  In addition to confirming its authenticity, discussing it is ripe for further spillage of additional information, even if unintended.
View Quote

If that's what you got out of that five minutes of footage, I'd argue you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The Admiral wasn't pressed to give classified information, and Gaetz is absolutely right that 30 years of revolving door GOFO-> MIC -> Government has us in the weakest position in the Pacific ever, certainly in our lifetimes.

That's a systemic failure, and not one that the GOFO community was exactly sounding the warning bell about.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#27]
So, people are lying, and
other people are lying about lying, while
yet others pretend to lie.
They're all paid to do so.

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Imagine being part of the political body that has the capability to structure the military, and then not doing that while being a cunt about it in public.

Is Gaetz taking any action to rectify the situation? Or is he just trying to score brownie points with his base by dunking on the thing he has a hand in being responsible for?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair wrestling is far less ridiculous than anything in DC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's really nobody's business what capabilities we have or don't have unless you're employing them or the CIC.

Right?
This.

If you think you as Joe Public have a "need to know" you're not very bright.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess a fair number of posters in this thread agree with the premise we need to punish Joes that lose rifles more than Generals that lose wars or Admirals who can't build ships.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess a fair number of posters in this thread agree with the premise we need to punish Joes that lose rifles more than Generals that lose wars or Admirals who can't build ships.
View Quote

With Congress oversight, they are just as guilty.

Since when did we make losing a crime? If it were so a lot more politicians would be on Death Row than Admirals. However, I'm all for Seppuku.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

With Congress oversight, they are just as guilty.

Since when did we make losing a crime? If it were so a lot more politicians would be on Death Row than Admirals. However, I'm all for Seppuku.
View Quote

I think Gaetz makes a pretty compelling case that he is calling people out.

Interestingly, lots of people here think he's a meany for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If that's what you got out of that five minutes of footage, I'd argue you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The Admiral wasn't pressed to give classified information, and Gaetz is absolutely right that 30 years of revolving door GOFO-> MIC -> Government has us in the weakest position in the Pacific ever, certainly in our lifetimes.

That's a systemic failure, and not one that the GOFO community was exactly sounding the warning bell about.
View Quote
LOL, OK.  Sure thing, guy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding analysis. Really insightful.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s really nobody’s business what capabilities we have or don’t have unless you’re employing them or the CIC.
View Quote

Eat shit, Congress has the power of the purse and these admirals lied to Congress.

"Give us money so we can have this capability. If you don't, then China will get ahead!"
"Well we can't tell you if China is ahead now despite you giving us all that money, because that's classified. And even if we did tell you in a classified briefing, you couldn't share that information with your constituents, the press or nearly anyone that matters."

I'd rather go back to the days of the US Navy having to beg Congress for money to buy the coal to sail to Japan over this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck em all. Invoke the ship building issues but dance around the reason it sucks. The Navy has been actively trying to divest themselves of LCS but guess who isn't allowing it? People are shitting on Gaetz because he is in a position to change what he is complaining about, and outwardly this video shows he is interested in taking advantage of the situation for popularity points instead of actively working to rectify it. What can I say, it works and the people will continue to have something broken they can point at and cry about. Would be neat if it was fixed,  but then we wouldn't have so much enjoyment being contrarian on an internet forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Not impressed with his posturing, which is what he does.  Sometimes it’s appropriate as with the BATFE, and sometimes it’s just hitting the talking points so popular with many in GD.  

When you’re competing with dimocRats to be a dick to the senior leadership you have oversight for, then fuck you.  You as a member of Congress have the power to fund priorities and fix bad policy, so get off your liberal sounding ass and fucking do something about it you fucking douche and quite blaming everyone else.  

Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Outstanding analysis. Really insightful.

View Quote
Sorry to let you down, but if you're looking for a discussion of sensitive / classified information on a public forum, you're not going to get it from me.  Frankly, my knowledge of our capabilities / strengths / weaknesses vis-a-vis China in the Pacific are cursory and pretty limited, so even if we could discuss it, you'd probably still be disappointed.

That being said, based on what you've posted in this thread so far, I suspect we agree near 100% on the current state of our military and its leadership. I think our only disagreement is whether congress should discuss classified information in public sessions, whether nor not it's already been leaked.  My contention is that they shouldn't, and they certainly shouldn't expect someone in the military to engage in a discussion of classified information in a public forum.  In his current position, ADM Aquilino probably forgets more classified information in a given week than most people, Gaetz included, have access to in their lifetime.  I have little access to classified info these days, but I've worked in some jobs where I had a fair amount of access.  It can be difficult to keep straight which bits of information are classified at what level, so it's really best not to engage in certain subjects altogether in an open forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Disagree. This shit needs to be more out in the open. Especially wrt the utterly worthless cLittoral Combat Ship. Until the FOGOs and industry involved are humiliated, thrown in jail and bankrupted this shit won’t change. Same goes for the “revolutionary” electric powered everything CVN. Gaetz did well; INDOPACOM and his civi butt buddy need to be honest with the taxpayer, grow a spine and call out Brandon and his minions. Put all that gold braid on the table. None of the TTPs and CLs they want to discuss in classified session are unknown to industry and analysts via open source. Come on John, be known for something in the USN other than the 63rd title holder since Kimmel.
View Quote

These are the ULTIMATE Stealth Ships!
It is a ship "NO MAN CAN FIND"
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not impressed with his posturing, which is what he does.  Sometimes it’s appropriate as with the BATFE, and sometimes it’s just hitting the talking points so popular with many in GD.  

When you’re competing with dimocRats to be a dick to the senior leadership you have oversight for, then fuck you.  You as a member of Congress have the power to fund priorities and fix bad policy, so get off your liberal sounding ass and fucking do something about it you fucking douche and quite blaming everyone else.  

Fucking idiots.
View Quote

It looks like his only contributions to national defense authorization acts is banning oil drilling in the Gulf and around Florida. Not sure how that aligns with the NDAA but whatever. Muh generals are the problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It looks like his only contributions to national defense authorization acts is banning oil drilling in the Gulf and around Florida. Not sure how that aligns with the NDAA but whatever. Muh generals are the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking idiots.

I do love how he states "classified information shouldn't be leaked" then browbeats an admiral with leaked information when he knows the admiral can't respond.  What a hero.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking idiots.

I didn’t know that but I’m not surprised.  

I quite listening to him after watching him on camera one day blather on about “forever wars”.  You know, the kind of “wars” where we lose more service members in training accidents in CONUS than we do deployed.

Matt Gaetz isn’t much more than an empty, giant penis with arms and legs saying whatever he thinks people want to hear.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I do love how he states "classified information shouldn't be leaked" then browbeats an admiral with leaked information when he knows the admiral can't respond.  What a hero.
View Quote

I believe that is defined as "systemic failure".
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

. Muh generals are the problem.
View Quote

Congress is a collection of morons, but they aren't 0-3 in the GWOT. That is our GOFO corps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I love everyone defending these poor defenseless GOFOs! Won't someone think of the GOFOs!
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I love everyone defending these poor defenseless GOFOs! Won't someone think of the GOFOs!
View Quote

As bad as they can be, their civilian political masters are worse.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird.  Seems like the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds might need to be grounded.  That would be a shame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How about a detailed Pentagon audit?
View Quote
But y u luv Putin bro?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LE is civilian
DoD is National Security

different rules
View Quote
Um, you should probably brush up a bit on your Constitution.  In the US, elected civilian leaders are in charge of the military -- or at least they are supposed to be in charge.

President is CinC.  Congress funds and declares war.  They have every right and obligation to know exactly how the DoD spends our money.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top